Is it possible to change the default so that an alternative app is used to open a file, ie pdf?

I have downloaded qPDF and would like all pdf's to be opened with qPDF rather than the stock Adobe app.

If this is not possible just now, what is a good work-around in order to choose which app opens a file?

Many thanks for any help
    01-02-13 06:19 AM
    If you try to open a PDF through one of the native file browsers, File Browser, Air Browser, or Files and Folders, they will default to opening in the stock Adobe Reader. However, if you use one of the android browsers, Ghost Commander, ES File Explorer, or X-Plore, etc., they will give you the choice between opening in Adobe Reader, qPDF, or any other android apps that you've installed and which are capable of opening PDFs. Additionally, ES will let you pick qPDF as the default app for opening PDFs when opening through ES.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-02-13 08:02 AM
    If you try to open a PDF through one of the native file browsers, File Browser, Air Browser, or Files and Folders, they will default to opening in the stock Adobe Reader. However, if you use one of the android browsers, Ghost Commander, ES File Explorer, or X-Plore, etc., they will give you the choice between opening in Adobe Reader, qPDF, or any other android apps that you've installed and which are capable of opening PDFs. Additionally, ES will let you pick qPDF as the default app for opening PDFs when opening through ES.
    I gather you can't get PDF Reader, a native app, to be the default. I saw the options showed the one you mentioned when I tried the other day.

You definitely have the Android aspect of the pb, firmly in hand.
    01-02-13 11:05 AM
    Doesn't look like you can delete the one that's stock either.
    01-02-13 11:12 AM
    I gather you can't get PDF Reader, a native app, to be the default.
    Not any way that I'm aware of.
    01-02-13 11:38 AM
    Is it possible to change the default so that an alternative app is used to open a file, ie pdf?
    Changing default apps is just not possible on the present Playbook OS.
    I vaguely heard this may change with the next BB10 OS, which will (eventually) be available on the tablets, a couple of weeks or months after its release for BB phones. On this forum there are people testing BB10 dev releases on Playbooks that may have more serious info here.
    01-02-13 01:03 PM