Full article can be found here;

Michael Hiltzik: Looking for a reason to love the iPad - latimes.com

"By Michael Hiltzik
    December 25, 2011

I have tried really tried to fall in love with the iPad.

I've spent hours trying it out. Reading, browsing, gaming. Watching movies. I've trawled Apple's website for killer apps. Conferred with the blue-shirted geniuses at my local Apple store about the wonders of the tablet-enabled lifestyle.

I've checked out the favorite apps of my iPad-equipped friends, and tried to conjure every way I might use the iPad for health, happiness and profit.

But it's not happening.

There's no point pretending that there aren't millions of people who do, in fact, love the iPad. They can't all be self-deluding, so we can stipulate that for many, many people it's a marvelous device. Apple says it sold about 25 million units in the first nine months of this year. Throw in sales of wannabe iPads such as Amazon's Kindle Fire and Samsung's Galaxy Tab, and it sometimes seems as though pretty soon every atom in the universe will own its own tablet computer.

But if you're one of the millions who woke up this Christmas morning feeling guilty that you didn't spring for an iPad for your family, or got one and can't figure out what all the excitement's about, or think the whole tablet computing craze is another case of consumers being goaded by slick advertising into buying something they don't need, don't be ashamed. If you can't tell what the pad is good for, you don't need it. I'm on your side."

Michaelaw
    bbfan1040 and jordandrews90 like this.
    12-24-11 08:34 AM
    "The Los Angeles Times suspended the blog of one of its top columnists last night, saying he violated the paper's policy by posting derogatory comments under an assumed name. The paper said in an online editor's note that Michael Hiltzik, a Pulitzer Prize winner who writes the Golden State column, had admitted posting remarks on both his Times blog and on other Web sites under names other than his own. The Times said it is investigating the matter. Editor Dean Baquet declined comment, and Hiltzik said he could not comment. The deceptive postings grew out of a running feud between Hiltzik and conservative bloggers in Southern California. One is Hugh Hewitt, a radio talk show host and blogger. The other is an assistant Los Angeles district attorney named Patrick Frey, who maintains a blog under the name Patterico's Pontifications."
    Los Angeles Times Yanks Columnist's Blog
    teknishun likes this.
    12-24-11 08:41 AM
    If you read closely, he really doesn't like tablets as a whole concept. But more people would be drawn to his blog by addressing it to Apple's iPad for obvious reasons. This sounds very similar to the people that predicted that the iPad would be a bust in March of 2010 because it filled no needs.

Tablets aren't for everyone. My father is still happy with his Gateway computer.

"Maybe I'm just missing the indispensability of tablets. I am reminded of the question that the late cultural anthropologist Neil Postman used to ask of every new technology: "What is the problem to which this is the solution?" At this moment, I don't seem to have any problems to which the tablet is the solution. If my lifestyle were one for which people have told me the iPad is a boon — if I commuted to work every day by train or bus or boarded cross-country flights more than a few times a year, say — perhaps my answer would be different."
    teknishun likes this.
    12-24-11 08:43 AM
    Now that's funny!!
    12-24-11 08:45 AM
    Throw in sales of wannabe iPads such as Amazon's Kindle Fire and Samsung's Galaxy Tab
    Disagree here. The Kindle Fire is a great device at a great price that gives you pretty much the same functionality as an ipad - with an android flavor. The Galaxy tab is also a fairly decent - while over priced - tablet. Neither are ipad wannabe's. They are tablet. Apple doesnt own the rights to all tablets.
    12-24-11 08:49 AM
    Sound familiar?

“5 Reasons Why Apple’s iPad Tablet Will Fail
    1. It won’t fit in your pocket.
    2. It’s too expensive.
    3. It won’t replace the laptop.
    4. You only get access to a watered-down Internet.
    5. No one really needs an iPad.”
    Daniel Nations, About.com Guide, 26 January 2010
    bbfan1040 and jordandrews90 like this.
    12-24-11 08:57 AM
    I share the same opinion about the iPad. If you dream about being a concert pianist but don't want to practice...the iPad is the device for you.

Ex. pencil + paper blows the iPad away for drawing, writing, exploring ideas
    Last edited by anthogag; 12-24-11 at 10:37 AM.
    12-24-11 08:57 AM
    “So the question you have ask yourself is when it comes to tablet, what market or what opportunities still it’s solving, what problem is it solving, and is it just a replacement laptop. I think that’s a difficult one to judge. But I think again if you look at what’s happening with smartphones are getting bigger, screens are getting bigger and getting more powerful and faster CPUs, more memory, we go in the 4G networks, we’ve got Wi-Fi, it’s just got everything, the operating systems are becoming more, more powerful, the tools are becoming more, more powerful, more applications are being developed, and are being used in more and more both enterprise and consumer spaces. So, I think at this point if you have to take the whole thing into consideration, you can’t say what’s the market for tablets in exclusion of the other devices, you have to put the whole thing together and I don’t think it’s that clear yet.”
    Mike Lazaridis, Co-CEO, Research In Motion, Inc, 16 April 2010

"Just the pent-up interest in the PlayBook is really overwhelming.”
    Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO, Research In Motion, 16 December 2010
    12-24-11 09:00 AM
    “Any tablet computer, including Apple’s eagerly anticipated iPad, will face serious problems in generating big sales. Tablets look cool, but the reality is they don’t do anything new.”
    Michael Comeau, Minyanville, 5 March 2010

“It’s a nice reader, but there’s nothing on the iPad I look at and say, ‘Oh, I wish Microsoft had done it.’”
    Bill Gates, Microsoft, 10 February 2010
    12-24-11 09:03 AM
    Last one. I promise...

“I think I’ve mentioned this once or twice before, but it bears repeating until it sinks in: the Apple iPad is not unique, nor necessarily the best of breed in the media tablet sector it is spearheading. And it ain’t gonna help Apple shareholders any.’”
    Anders Bylund (TMF Zahrim), 11 March 2010
    12-24-11 09:09 AM
    I never understood what people have against the ipad and go a long way trying to put it in a bad daylight. I do understand that non ipad owners fight with those who suggest that the ipad is the only good tablet around.

Sum it all up and tell me: Did all the ipad negativity make a dent in the reputation of the ipad? I can answer that. NO!

The ipad, as every other tablet, does have it pro's and con"s, but it is after all this a great tablet and an excellent gift / buy for almost anybody.

Some of you who love to attack the ipad has never owned an ipad and still find words to put it down. I would say; Get a life!

This is a PlayBook forum and let your thread be one related to the playbook.
    BTW: A large number of PB owners own another tablet too. Why is that huh?

Leave the ipad the ipad or buy one, but please let the PlayBook forum a PlayBook forum.

...and now with all sincerety: Merry Xmas!!!
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-24-11 10:38 AM
    I never understood what people have against the ipad and go a long way trying to put it in a bad daylight. I do understand that non ipad owners fight with those who suggest that the ipad is the only good tablet around.

Sum it all up and tell me: Did all the ipad negativity make a dent in the reputation of the ipad? I can answer that. NO!

The ipad, as every other tablet, does have it pro's and con"s, but it is after all this a great tablet and an excellent gift / buy for almost anybody.

Some of you who love to attack the ipad has never owned an ipad and still find words to put it down. I would say; Get a life!

This is a PlayBook forum and let your thread be one related to the playbook.
    BTW: A large number of PB owners own another tablet too. Why is that huh?

Leave the ipad the ipad or buy one, but please let the PlayBook forum a PlayBook forum.

...and now with all sincerety: Merry Xmas!!!
    I understand your point, however... I think you should take a step back and objectively look at the number of posts in the Playbook forum criticizing the PB and defending the iPad. Now go over to the other forum affiliated with this one for iPad users and see if there's many PB owners over there doing the same thing. 'nuff said? From what I've seen the only people that have actually been behaving themselves around here are the android guys (excluding myself :P )Merry Xmas to you and best wishes to your family as well
    12-24-11 10:47 AM
    Why it sales? because most people haven't seen this:

ericrangel76 likes this.
    12-24-11 10:50 AM
    Last one. I promise...

I think Ive mentioned this once or twice before, but it bears repeating until it sinks in: the Apple iPad is not unique, nor necessarily the best of breed in the media tablet sector it is spearheading. And it aint gonna help Apple shareholders any.
    Anders Bylund (TMF Zahrim), 11 March 2010
    Last one...pet rocks what a ludicrous idea.
    12-24-11 10:57 AM
    I understand your point, however... I think you should take a step back and objectively look at the number of posts in the Playbook forum criticizing the PB and defending the iPad. Now go over to the other forum affiliated with this one for iPad users and see if there's many PB owners over there doing the same thing. 'nuff said? ...
    Oh...it's a kind af a game? "Don't let a negative post unanswered" and "Post as much negativety as you possibly can"

I see, the maturity of this game is extremely high.
    "Bla bla bla..." press [Post quick reply] and you done.
    How in the world you think you can beat that?

If there was any remote possibility that we could stop this with counter attacks, i would surely participate but..we can't.

"If you want a fire to die, stop adding fuel"
    12-24-11 11:28 AM
    I thought the media was universally biased in Apple's favor. I guess he missed that memo.

I notice that he didn't even mention the PlayBook, but did find space for the Galaxy Tab. Ouch.

Now go over to the other forum affiliated with this one for iPad users and see if there's many PB owners over there doing the same thing. 'nuff said?
    Before you can have "many PB owners" do anything, you must first have "many PB owners."
    Last edited by Economist101; 12-24-11 at 11:54 AM.
    12-24-11 11:49 AM
    Before you can have "many PB owners" do anything, you must first have "many PB owners."
    Er, lineups and sellouts at all our electronic retailers... Playbooks sold out and other tabs sitting untouched... People with more than one PB... tons of new posters on the forums, not just Crackberry. Chuckle... where have you been for the last 3 weeks?

Guess you missed the memo as well?

Troll on...
    12-24-11 12:03 PM
    I also don't get the negativity on this site toward the iPad and Apple in general. I'm a gen1 iPad owner, iPhone 4 owner, as well as the owner of several Apple computers. They work great for our family and seamlessly integrate with each other.

For work, I use a BlackBerry Bold 9650 and, after tomorrow, will be a proud owner of a 16GB Playbook. The BlackBerry does great for what I need for work and travel.

I guess I don't understand why one has to be bad for the other to be good!
    12-24-11 12:06 PM
    Stop with the flamebait topics, this is a PLAYBOOK forum
    12-24-11 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD