I've personally nothat my biggest problem with battery drain was keeping wifisharing on.
    08-04-12 01:36 PM
    Someone suggested holding down the power button for 20 seconds and plug the usb in for charging. There's more to the instruction. I did that. I'm still observing, It seems to be working so far after an hour, no visible drainage of the battery. I forgotten where the link is. Also either shut off the playbook when not using or put on airplane book also stop the drainage. The hassle with the airplane mode is you need to reconnect to wifi and reconnect all your email accounts.
    08-05-12 03:32 PM
    I'm on the 2.1beta and my battery life has really taken a hit. I had the 3mb update but thinking about it, the battery life had gone backwards before the update so interested on the suggestions that it's down to hotmail. About to try deleting the account and will report back if see an improvement.
    08-05-12 04:43 PM
    If you have hotmail email account remove it!! I had the same problem and that fixed it thus morning. I think MS. Changed something when they introduced outlook.com. Hope this helps!
    Good point, before the launch of Outlook.com & the OS update, I could be in standby and maybe lose 15% IF that, this morning for example, 100% @ 8am, no use AT ALL and it's at 24%. That's a FAIL right there!

Oh snaps, just realized my daughter's PB is fine and she doesn't have any email accounts. Has to be Hotmail!
    08-05-12 06:27 PM
    Good point, before the launch of Outlook.com & the OS update, I could be in standby and maybe lose 15% IF that, this morning for example, 100% @ 8am, no use AT ALL and it's at 24%. That's a FAIL right there!

Oh snaps, just realized my daughter's PB is fine and she doesn't have any email accounts. Has to be Hotmail!
    Some experiments are worth running - remove Hotmail and see what happens.
    08-05-12 06:51 PM
    I have also noticed a large battery drain on both my PlayBook and Tourch (9800). My phone alsp seem very warm to the touch. Turning off blue tooth and wireless to see how much that helps but I have always had these on in the past.
    08-05-12 07:48 PM
    I have (thanks to advice here) removed e-mail accounts from the native e-mail centre and only use bridged BB e-mail(s). My battery life has gone back to normal, instead of the 8 - 12 hours it dropped to. I'm a happy camper again.
    08-06-12 10:20 AM
    Some experiments are worth running - remove Hotmail and see what happens.
    Did that last night and my battery dropped barely a few % overnight, ugh.

I would use bridge (for emails like I used to) but I get that flashing white screen. I've tried everything but a wipe and I really don't want to do that. Looks like I may have to if I want to use bridge for emails again.
    08-06-12 10:53 AM
    Did that last night and my battery dropped barely a few % overnight, ugh.

I would use bridge (for emails like I used to) but I get that flashing white screen. I've tried everything but a wipe and I really don't want to do that. Looks like I may have to if I want to use bridge for emails again.
    There's a few different discussions of Hotmail issues within the last week. Some folks have changed some settings and/or addresses and gotten better results. I gather MS is converting to Outlook.com and it may be affecting hotmail retrieval. You might look for those threads.
    08-06-12 11:07 AM
    I have 2 PB's and did update for both. Then one of them started losing battery life like crazy. In the end I deleted my home wi-fi and Hotmail email accounts and re-configured them on both PB's which not only solved the battery drain, I am actually sure it increased my battery life a little on both of them.
    08-06-12 11:31 AM
    I'm on the 2.1beta and my battery life has really taken a hit. I had the 3mb update but thinking about it, the battery life had gone backwards before the update so interested on the suggestions that it's down to hotmail. About to try deleting the account and will report back if see an improvement.
    Battery life appears to be back to normal (well possibly better than pre-deletion and more like pre-adding the account in first place) - just had 2% loss over the last 3.5 hours whilst in standby.
    08-06-12 12:30 PM
    Hi guys, I had the same problem my playbook lost all charge on standby overnight. I tried deleting the e-mail and the battery was back to normal.
    but see we just traded the problem. sure our batteries are back to normal but now we can't use our e-mail app. Perfect, just another thing the playbook can not do. I am very frustrated with RIM. I am loyal customer but they have let me down as a consumer. I am not saying i hate rim because i do not, but i feel like we as consumers should not have to settle with our devices. RIM has taken way to long into making the playbook the best it can be. At this point in the game they are just playing catch up.

I am not hating on RIM i am just sharing my thoughts on this issue. So my fellow playbook users I hope that with the new update things will change. I have hope things will get better.
    09-25-12 11:09 PM
    Same problem here. Since the last update. The PB drains the battery over night.

I put it on standby when I go to bed around 9pm with a full battery.

8 hours later the battery is down to 6% or completely dead.

Last time I couldn't boot it back up and it wouldn't charge when pluged in.

I used to be able to go days without recharging.

Any fixes?
    09-26-12 09:49 AM
    Any fixes? First thing is to find out if any app is still running when you go into standby. Battery Guru may help you with this. Second, if you use Android apps, Advanced Application Manager will help you determine if one is still running and it includes an app killer. For example preparing to go into standby my Battery Guru showed I was operating over 4 watts. Checking Advanced Application Manager I found that Appy Geek was still running although I thought I had shut it down. Killed it and dropped the power below three watts. Of course the sometimes troublesome mail settings are another problem. Any app which is programmed to use wifi to go out and get info might cause trouble
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 09-26-12 at 12:03 PM.
    09-26-12 11:53 AM
    Do you leave anything in the background?

I noticed the exact same thing, 100% in the morning, dead by night, mostly in standby.

I ended up picking up Battery Guru to find out what's going on, because 2.0.1 also broke the Battery Watch, an Android application from App World which doesn't work at all anymore.

Anyway, I found out the offending application in my case is Splashtop HD. If I leave it in the opening screen (not actually connected to any systems yet), and put PB into standby, it still consumes 0.63w.

It's difficult to tell if this behaviour was there before the OS upgrade, all I can confirm at this point is that my PB never drained battery that fast in standby before, and I had many apps still open.

So, if you don't have any apps open, something is definitely wrong, but if you do, check which one is causing the battery drain using battery guru or something similar.
    Thank you for not being a helpless nub and actually doing something other than cry on forums. It is appreciated.
    09-26-12 12:50 PM
    Yesterday I received my Playbook and immediately downloaded the latest (2.0.1) update. After a few hours of setting up the device and getting to know the tablets pros and cons a strikingly con was the battery life. I'm talking of 2% per minute I did the obvious tricks turned off push mail, dimmed the brightness to almost 0 without noticeable difference, the device was totally drained this morning. Thereupon I was searching through the forum and found this thread. Some who experiencing the the same issues where mentioning the 2.1 update. With a little help of the Blackberry dev blog I downloaded the update earlier this afternoon. What can I say, the battery life tremendously increased. For instance, I listened to an audiobook for the past 2 hours and my battery has drained only 2%
    10-02-12 11:04 AM
    Silk, I wouldn't focus too much on the percent per minute. The percent is an estimation and you may see it drop rapidly but then level off for a while. A real 2 percent per minute drain is not possible on a normally functioning PB. If you want to monitor the battery try the Battry Guru app. It will show a graph that helps you see what effect your use has on battery life.
    10-02-12 11:35 AM
    I too am having this issue with my PB, specifically terrible battery life and slight heat coming off the back. It just recently started and I'm on the latest OTA and haven't had an issue with it until recently.

Coincidentally I just purchased my first BlackBerry smartphone and switched the native email to manually sync(so I didn't have duplicate email notifiers). Based on the comments in this thread I will have to try removing the email account and see if that fixes the issue. I'll report back with how that goes.
    10-02-12 11:53 AM
    I too am having this issue with my PB, specifically terrible battery life and slight heat coming off the back. It just recently started and I'm on the latest OTA and haven't had an issue with it until recently.

Coincidentally I just purchased my first BlackBerry smartphone and switched the native email to manually sync(so I didn't have duplicate email notifiers). Based on the comments in this thread I will have to try removing the email account and see if that fixes the issue. I'll report back with how that goes.
    First try changing the manual sync to some time interval. There is/was a known bug with manual sync.

You can turn the bridge email notifications on and off through the bridge app settings if you so desire.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 10-02-12 at 11:58 AM.
    10-02-12 11:55 AM
    I know calculating battery usage is almost like rocket science. I will keep an eye in the next few days and if necessary invest in Battery Guru which is from what I heard so far a great diagnostic application.
    10-02-12 11:57 AM
    After switching it off of manual sync things are back to normal. I tried setting up push email, an amount of time between syncs, and finally turning off email syncing entirely. All seemed to resolve my problem, no more terrible battery life and heat off the back!

Moral of the story: if you're having battery drain issues try disabling your email sync and see if that fixes the issue. I understand not all issues are the same but it's worth at least a try!
    10-03-12 06:19 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD