Im new to PB, started with 2.0 right away, i need to charge every day, unlike my wife's iPad2.
    05-09-12 04:01 PM
    I used to be able to keep my playbook 2.0 on standby with wifi on without charging for 5 days with light use. Since the 2.0.1 update, from a full charge in the morning and on stand by the whole day, my battery is dead by 6 pm. Something is not right. Is anyone experiencing this?
    I always turn off wifi before going into standby. Even in standby if wifi is enabled it runs in the background, which is why you get various notifications ect.
    05-09-12 05:55 PM
    any official answer to this from the ups? moderators? kevin? blaze?

05-09-12 06:20 PM
    I've just hit this problem.. but not just after the 2.0.1 update. I thought adding my Gmail account to it would be a good idea, so that I could use the built-in email client. After adding it and selecting Manual updates (no push notifications, no calendar sync, no contact sync) I thought I was all set, however the battery drain was incredible! It was almost dead after being left overnight (it started at 95% at 10pm).

As soon as I removed the account it returned to normal battery life.. lasting days between charges.

Can't quite understand why it'd kill it so badly when I had it set for Manual updates only.. I guess it's a bug in the software. Bit of a shame but I can live without it.
    05-27-12 01:30 PM
    I've just hit this problem.. but not just after the 2.0.1 update. I thought adding my Gmail account to it would be a good idea, so that I could use the built-in email client. After adding it and selecting Manual updates (no push notifications, no calendar sync, no contact sync) I thought I was all set, however the battery drain was incredible! It was almost dead after being left overnight (it started at 95% at 10pm).

As soon as I removed the account it returned to normal battery life.. lasting days between charges.

Can't quite understand why it'd kill it so badly when I had it set for Manual updates only.. I guess it's a bug in the software. Bit of a shame but I can live without it.
    Hmm I have manual sync too. Guess I'll just use the Gmail mobile site until then...
    flion likes this.
    05-27-12 02:58 PM
    My Batt life sucked! I can use my iPad for a week straight!
    05-27-12 04:36 PM
    Airplane mode is a convenient way to disable WiFi and Bluetooth when both are not needed. I usually enable airplane mode when leaving the office and then disable it when I arrive home. Overnight, ariplane mode is always enabled to reduce battery drain. Depending upon usage pattern my fully charged battery provides approximately 5-7 days of use before reaching close to 0%. I also keep the screen brightness turned down which has the benefit of reducing eye-strain.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    05-27-12 04:47 PM
    Airplane mode is a convenient way to disable WiFi and Bluetooth when both are not needed. I usually enable airplane mode when leaving the office and then disable it when I arrive home. Overnight, ariplane mode is always enabled to reduce battery drain. Depending upon usage pattern my fully charged battery provides approximately 5-7 days of use before reaching close to 0%. I also keep the screen brightness turned down which has the benefit of reducing eye-strain.
    lol I can't even look at the brightest setting anymore it's so blinding, I have mine set right between restart and standby (a tad closer to standby)
    Last edited by jwn66; 05-27-12 at 10:00 PM.
    05-27-12 06:29 PM

At the weekend I spoke to my brother-in-law who also has a Playbook. He suffers from exactly the same issue after adding his email account(s) to the PB. Looks like it's not an isolated problem & other people are having the same battery drain issue when they've added accounts to the device.

The 2 PB's in our household have been fine since I removed the accounts, lasting 4-6 days between charges depending on usage (rather than a day with a Gmail account added to it & manual updates selected).
    06-18-12 07:05 AM
    MANUAL Sync of email has definitely been implicated in abysmal battery life, losing as much as 40-60% overnight. Use another sync interval or wait till rim fixes the bug.
    06-18-12 08:43 AM
    Seems like some Android apps have some bad habits too.

Purdue Researchers Aim to Exterminate �No-Sleep Energy Bugs�

url=http://goo.gl/dqP99

Appy Geek[/url]
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 06-18-12 at 04:49 PM.
    06-18-12 04:35 PM
    deleting my mail account solved my problems with battery. i went from a 45% overnight drain to about 4% drain overnight just by deleting the mail account. And its not as if the mail account ever works properly due to its bugs - forever failing to pick up new messages. I'm happy with my play book, very happy, but i do find it slightly ironic for a company that built their rep on bulletproof email to have such an issue on their device. i have to confess I can't help but wondering if 2.1 will make things better, or if things will only get truly interesting when bb10 comes out for us.

regardless of that, anyone with battery problems might want to try deleting the mail acount (even if its only temporarily) to see if thats their problem too.
    06-18-12 04:41 PM
    I am just updating this thread to confirm that my battery life seems to have decreased by about 25 percent after the update. I have no metrics to make comparisons but I have completely drained my battery twice after leaving it on standby for 4 to 5 days unintentionally. That never happened to me before the update. Maybe the updated OS requires more power or the built in battery is starting to show its age after 8 months.
    07-28-12 10:33 PM
    I have been looking for something about my battery problem. My wife has the playbook. It has always lasted for days. Now it can start with a full battery in the morning and be dead by that night. It has always had the WiFi on so that is no different. This just started 3 days ago. No updates, no new programs, not sure what is the problem. How hard is it to replace the battery? I haven't seen any access doors so I'm guessing that it is not real simple. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions I am open to them. Thanks all.
    08-03-12 10:11 AM
    Have you deleted your email account profile off the one with poor battery life? That's what I did on mine & it cured the issue.
    08-03-12 10:20 AM
    Try a full restart. There may be apps running that you don't know about.
    08-03-12 10:24 AM
    I have been looking for something about my battery problem. My wife has the playbook. It has always lasted for days. Now it can start with a full battery in the morning and be dead by that night. It has always had the WiFi on so that is no different. This just started 3 days ago. No updates, no new programs, not sure what is the problem. How hard is it to replace the battery? I haven't seen any access doors so I'm guessing that it is not real simple. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions I am open to them. Thanks all.

Getting to the batteries is quite easy, the back literally pries off and there are only a few screws between you and the batteries. The issue would be where to get replacement ones?

First thing I would do is download Battery Guru from App world (the dev is here peter9477 and extremely responsive). Let it run for a while and get some readings, send him the logs (after talking with him and getting permission of course) and he will be able to interpret.
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-03-12 10:24 AM
    I used to be able to keep my playbook 2.0 on standby with wifi on without charging for 5 days with light use. Since the 2.0.1 update, from a full charge in the morning and on stand by the whole day, my battery is dead by 6 pm. Something is not right. Is anyone experiencing this?
    Same experience here, the battery was totally drained the next morning and it took me 12 hours to fully charged, normally it does not take that long. This morning, I still got about 50% of battery and took more than 5 hours to fully charged again. I did not change how I use my playbook. Some claim the mail, apps and browser load faster after the upgrade. I detected no change what so ever. I did reboot, nothing changes. I'm going to try again and see what happen tomorrow.
    08-03-12 11:36 AM
    I've noticed that my battery is draining quickly as well.
    08-03-12 12:25 PM
    I will be glad when battery technology catches up with device technology. The amount of "stuff" that these different devices do, it's amazing that the batteries last as long as they do now.....IMO. I'm waiting for the day where I only have to charge my battery once a month.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    08-03-12 12:52 PM
    I will be glad when battery technology catches up with device technology. The amount of "stuff" that these different devices do, it's amazing that the batteries last as long as they do now.....IMO. I'm waiting for the day where I only have to charge my battery once a month.
    Oh you will be waiting a very long time. The longest Ive seen a battery last is 3 days, which is my brother's Motorola RAZR with the 3000mAh battery. Oh how I wish those were the standard at this point in time
    08-03-12 03:01 PM
    Oh you will be waiting a very long time. The longest Ive seen a battery last is 3 days, which is my brother's Motorola RAZR with the 3000mAh battery. Oh how I wish those were the standard at this point in time
    Yea, yea, I know....it's just "wishful" thinking. I can dream..can't I
    08-03-12 03:08 PM
    Battery died today way before it normally does... Dammit
    08-03-12 06:49 PM
    The BB Playbook has a 19.95 watt-hr battery. If you use Battery Guru you can check your use rate. Generally mine is around 3 watts. Now says 2.73 watts. In standby it is less than 0.1 watt. So with three hours of use and 21 hours of standby you will use half your battery charge if it is perfect. Simple math. As a previous thread said Battery Guru can help you analyze battery problems and verify that charging is going properly. Battery technology technology is progressing with the current Lithium polymer approach less than a decade old. Dont blame the battery entirely, we also need lower energy consuming electronics and screens.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-04-12 12:07 AM
    If you have hotmail email account remove it!! I had the same problem and that fixed it thus morning. I think MS. Changed something when they introduced outlook.com. Hope this helps!
    08-04-12 01:32 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD