View Poll Results: Will you buy the LTE PlayBook?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely!

12 4.94%
  • Not interested

73 30.04%
  • Happy with WiFi

109 44.86%
  • Depends on pricing

49 20.16%
    i would buy one..even though i just bought a samsung galaxy tab 8.9 3G..
    08-02-12 10:39 PM
    No interest in purchasing ANOTHER data plan. I am already paying for internet access at home and on my cell phone. Why would I ever pay for a third plan? With only 5 people voting "Absolutely" (as of this posting) I see I am in the majority.
    08-03-12 06:33 AM
    I will upgrade my BB 9780 to a 4G BB phone and will have nearly the same speed though the bridge

T-Mobile is charging me US $20 for 2GB data per month

so why would I want to get a new LTE PB and pay maybe $40 a month for a 4G connection

So upgrade your BB phone to 4G with you next upgrade and you will be fine

08-03-12 07:05 AM
    I voted 'happy with wifi', but I'm happier with BRIDGE
    08-03-12 07:53 AM
    I value this tablet at around $400

Rogers will charge me about 10/month to share data with my new 6GB data plan

Its a 3 year contract, but, upgrade after 2 years

so my math would be.... 24 months at $10/month = $240

thus... the Playbook would have to sell for $160 or less on a 3 year contract for me to buy.

I might stretch it to $175
    andy957 likes this.
    08-03-12 08:00 AM
    I will not because I am happy with the wifi but at some point in time, the NFC might be tempting. That being said, my phone has it so I will just use that functionality through the phone.
    08-03-12 08:07 AM
    So basically from this poll so far, over 60% of people on this forum wouldn't buy one. And this is a Blackberry content based forum. I would think those kind of numbers would be concerning to RIM. The users here are the users you'd hope to win over. A huge segment of other users are going to be focused on the apps it can't run because whether it's beaten to death as a topic or not, that's still a big issue to a lot of people.
    Up to nearly 75% now.

And who can forget CrackBerry's front page poll a while back which revealed that 60% of CB'ers* wouldn't wait for BB10 phones.

It does make you wonder about RIM's "knowing what the market wants" product sense doesn't it?

I entirely agree with you that if the average CB'er, the fanbase, isn't much interested in PB4G... then convincing world+wife to buy it is going to be an uphill struggle.

*= before the nit-pickers start, all numbers are based on the numbers of respondents. Poll numbers may not be statistically significant... but I'd guaran-damn-tee that if the numbers showed that 90% of respondents wanted to buy a PB4G or would wait for a BB10 phone, the results would be heralded as a universal truth!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 08-03-12 at 11:29 AM.
    08-03-12 11:25 AM
    The poll represents the results asking people already owned a PB.

Remember how PB did not sell well because of lack of software? Only 1.5M PB sold, a very small number in comparison to the number of BB owners. So the other group is wait-and-see camp. Just like you don't buy the first year model of car, let them iron out the kinks, then you buy.

After downloading the 668 upgrade and tried it. I declare the PB is ready. So once the new buyers try it out, especially with the lightning speed experience, I think there will be a lot of happy buyers.

For BB users who don't own a PB, they will join in now.

I think it will sell well. Also the carriers will be pushing it too.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    08-03-12 12:26 PM
    I'm satisfied with wifi for now, but who knows what the future might bring. It would have to be a substantial upgrade for me to consider.
    08-03-12 12:29 PM
    Voted No, Not interested in another data plan-1 is enough...and I am good with my playbook bridging .....
    08-03-12 02:15 PM
    I'd buy another Wifi only with a the minor hardware update (processor). 3g/4g tabs are a luxury item that I cant justify spending money on.
    08-03-12 02:25 PM
    No, when I purchase a new tablet sometime by early next year, it will be an Android. I don't fully discount RIM's ability to turn the Blackberry around, but no reason for me to suffer along with them. I've already swapped my Blackberry phone for an Android, and it's nice to have a platform that actually gets apps as more than an afterthought if at all.
    08-03-12 02:49 PM
    The poll represents the results asking people already owned a PB.

Remember how PB did not sell well because of lack of software? Only 1.5M PB sold, a very small number in comparison to the number of BB owners. So the other group is wait-and-see camp. Just like you don't buy the first year model of car, let them iron out the kinks, then you buy.

After downloading the 668 upgrade and tried it. I declare the PB is ready. So once the new buyers try it out, especially with the lightning speed experience, I think there will be a lot of happy buyers.

For BB users who don't own a PB, they will join in now.

I think it will sell well. Also the carriers will be pushing it too.
    I would like to see a poll based strictly on this. I am not a negative person, but I just don't agree with you on this. If existing BB owners wanted a Playbook, Bridge would have been enough to convince them to try one out once PB got OS2 and dropped in price. There is nothing new enough with PB2 to 'wow' them. It's arriving with the same OS, slightly better hardware, and LTE capability. The LTE capability is something you can see from this thread owners of BB phones aren't overly interested in.
    08-03-12 03:21 PM
    Nah, I don't think so my bridged PB wifi and BB9900 4G are the perfect combo for what I need. If anything I may go from16gb to 64gb PB for storage capacity only.
    08-03-12 05:07 PM
    I will have to echo the thoughts of many others here in that, since I already own a PB, I'm not going to be interested in the minimal hardware upgrade, NFC or LTE radio... AND I don't want to have to buy into another separate data plan, either. Yes, I'm also happy with BB Bridge... I'm not sure that wi-fi hotspot is really that useful as yet...

IF I was looking to buy my first ever PB, I might be a little bit more tempted. I wonder if it would be an option to swap out the SIM between the phone and the PB once in a while or if sharing a data/voice plan would work too...
    08-03-12 07:21 PM
    Just curious to see how many are interested now that we've all had the opportunity to own or play with the WiFi models.
    The 4G is necessary to get carriers to sell them. But for owners of phones with 4G and hot spot it is not necessary it the phone battery holds up.
    08-03-12 09:44 PM
    I have not even bought a WiFI one yet. Not really interested that either since I have a laptop thats runs full office suites if needed.
    08-03-12 10:45 PM
    The vast majority will vote no, but that has nothing to do with BB and everything to do with the fact that 4G tablets are a waste of money, as suggested by everyone here. Consumers are not willing to add yet another monthly bill especially when wifi is so ubiquitous.

That said, I'll probably get one with the first price drop as I don't currently have a PB and desire the improved hardware. I of course will be buying off contract.
    08-04-12 01:32 AM
    I need an option to vote no without saying I am not interested because I am definitely interested. After all 50% increase in processing power is not a joke.
    08-04-12 07:54 AM
    No 4G network in the Netherlands yet.. but the 1.5Ghz dual-core processor is quite enticing. Still, depends a lot on pricing.
    08-04-12 09:07 AM
    If a 4g playbook had been available when I purchased my current playbook I would have bought one then.

Might yet buy one and give my current one to a family member.

Here are the caveats.
    Support for UMTS 1700 and 2100 - check
    Have a SIP client - ???
    Support bluetooth headset - (not sure but probable)
    Unlocked No Contract - (not sure but probable)

Currently have a galaxy nexus and its ok but I don't like carrying it in my pants pocket.
    I carry a bag most of the time anyway so the the 7 inch playbook would be no problem.

Bluetooth headset support should enhance the usage model, for incoming calls I would not have to fish the playbook out of the bag.
    My eyes are not great so the bigger screen/keyboard is very nice.

So I would sell the galaxy nexus and replace it with tablet/phone with a comparatively huge battery and a screen that I can actually see.

If and when portrait email is available that will be a nice bonus.

Even at 500+ dollars I can see the value.

I doubt the rumoured smaller iPad would turn my head but a UMTS capable Nexus 7 might.
    08-04-12 10:22 AM
    I'm not sure the increase in processor will make much a difference as the on board RAM will stay at 1GB. Therefore, I will stay with and stay very happy with my wifi and bridge pb.
    08-04-12 11:14 AM
    no. i am happy with my current playbook
    08-04-12 11:25 AM
    I would like to see a poll based strictly on this. I am not a negative person, but I just don't agree with you on this. If existing BB owners wanted a Playbook, Bridge would have been enough to convince them to try one out once PB got OS2 and dropped in price. There is nothing new enough with PB2 to 'wow' them. It's arriving with the same OS, slightly better hardware, and LTE capability. The LTE capability is something you can see from this thread owners of BB phones aren't overly interested in.
    Most posters here I read already own a Playbbok and they do not want a LTE Playbook.

As a matter of facts, a lot of BB owners are on a wait-and-see mode. They will be more interested once LTE Playbook can get them to take another look at the Playbook. Then they will be pleasantly surprised that the v2.0 is working much better. They will consider either a wi-fi one or a LTE one.

SonI don't agree with you.
    08-04-12 06:13 PM
    Not sure how to say this without having the post removed or getting troll points but it will not sell well. I do not plan on purchasing one nor know anyone that does.

Corporation might, but why when it can be paired with a BB phone.

To think it will even give a modest bump is sales would be overly optimistic i would think.

As someone else posted (their post was not removed)

For the current early adopters of the PB most probably think:

Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

A redo and reboot is needed with a solid full functioning cutting edge product to even start the process of taking on more tablet market share.

Tim
    andy957 and richardat like this.
    08-04-12 07:20 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD