View Poll Results: What will you do with your Playbook now?

Voters
378. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smash it (Crackberry style)

23 6.08%
  • Mothball it (no way you can sell it)

75 19.84%
  • Mail it back to Thor (with love, of course)

27 7.14%
  • Keep rocking it (Podcast app still not on BB10)

253 66.93%
08-12-13 10:22 PM
162 12345 ...
tools
    Jeez, have none of you heard of FaceTime on iPad? There is a whole new world out there once you leave this junk behind.
    Video chat is video chat is video chat. I have an iPad Mini as well. Stop assuming everyone here is blind and doesn't try other devices.
    06-29-13 02:49 PM
    I'll keep using it as long as it's useful

That being said, what l won't be doing is upgrading to a BB10 phone unless a massively upgraded Bridge app appears. I will also not expect much, if anything, in the way of upgrades for the Playbook, or any new or upgraded apps from developers. I think this was the main reason to have hoped for BB10. On the Playbook....an upgrade path for apps old and new... Oh well... At least now we aren't being kept hanging and we can start to figure out a future without blackberry.
    06-29-13 02:55 PM
    Mine still works. Having BB10 on it might (or might not) have improved its capabilities or app selection, but it's now no worse that it was two days ago.

For the record, I can still use the following apps:

• Web browser
    • Facebook
    • Blaq
    • Zinio
    • Comixology
    • Remember the Milk
    • Read news in Globe and Mail, National Post
    • Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, Xploding Boxes, and other games
    • ...and many other apps
    jcbrunson likes this.
    06-29-13 03:03 PM
    My PlayBooks will continue to be used, the device is still a solid performer:

64 gb is my daily worker, always paired to my Z10. Just would like all the BB 7 bridge functions back.

16 gb PB is in the car. My older suv without a screen control in the dash, the PlayBook with Magellan Compass has been a great replacement.

32 gb PB will be in my home entertainment center, BT connected to the BlackBerry Music Gateway and
    HDMI to the tv.
    This PB was delivered free to my door yesterday, 4 hrs after the fatal announcement by Thor. Supposedly used from Staples ebay at a great price, it's pretty much new and got a lot of life left in it yet as Battery Guru below indicates.
    My investment on these PB's, all picked up discounted, is less than the 16 gb launch price, so no complaints from me! Some updates to OS 2.1 will keep me satisfied.

Poll: What will you do with your Playbook now?-img_00000120_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 03:18 PM
    So as I sit here on my PlayBook typing out a response to this question, I just got notified that I was getting a very important call on the PlayBook itself as it is, as always, bridged to my phone. Good thing to as I had left my phone in the kitchen - it was critical for me to answer the call right then instead of letting it go to voicemail, but I knew I would be reliably alerted wherever I go and didn't need to carry two devices at a time.

Just another feature that goes unappreciated with the device. Sure, I still like the iPad more, but BB10 wasn't what was going to make or break this device. Fix the bridge on a BB10 device and I'll buy a BB10 device. I think the reactions are way overblown.
    06-29-13 03:20 PM
    It's a barely passable web browser. Slow and clunky. Otherwise it's a POS now.

Posted via CB10
    dannykavs likes this.
    06-29-13 03:26 PM
    Now that PB would be extended via BB10, it makes the day I upgrade elsewhere that much closer, probably this summer. Hence, my choice to mothball it.
    06-29-13 03:28 PM
    I'll use it as a very expensive alarm clock and enjoy my Nexus 7 that has every app I ever wanted and was promised.
    06-29-13 03:29 PM
    I personally think that BB 10 would not have worked on the PB as well as does the PB OS. It is not obvious that a user interface designed for use with a 3-4 inch screen will work well on a bigger one. (WP8/W8 is an example of that epic fail - no guys, I do not want a 27 inch touchscreen, I want my mouse and keyboard. I can't see why I should get arm fatigue just so someone can boast about their UI commonality).
    The basic objections were:
    Lack of RAM compared to BB 10 devices
    Lack of processor power (it's a 2011 design after all)
    Yet another form factor for developers
    and to me the way BB 10 is designed is to allow everything top level to work with one thumb or finger. The PB is too big for that.

In fact (losing my audience, if I have one) I actually think that of all the phone UIs I have seen, BB 10 is the only one optimised for a square display. The gestures come in from the 4 directions with almost equal importance.
    06-29-13 03:30 PM
    Sell it on eBay to some dufis and go buy a iPad.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    06-29-13 03:31 PM
    I have an opportunity for the folks who voted to smash or mothball their PlayBooks in a rage:

put your money where you mouth is: if you hate the device so much now, how about donating it to folks on the forum (for free, since you don't plan on doing anything with it any way) who would put it to good use.

I'm sure there would be many takers. Now let's see how many of you (30+ or so according to the poll) actually man up to doing this ...

Thread located here to help you.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 06-29-13 at 03:53 PM.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    06-29-13 03:43 PM
    I'll keep using it just like I do my obsolete HP Touchpad and my somewhat laggy N7. In a few months when the new Haswell Intel chips are on perhaps ARM upgrades hit I may look for another tablet. It will surely have to have at least 2 GB of RAM, 32+ GB storage with SD card slot, HDMI output and a fast processor along with acceptable weight and a good screen. Although with HP going open source with webOS and shucking it off to LG the mod community has enabled dual boot of Android and webOS and other linux systems, there seems to me little reason to try and do the same for the Playbook as far as most of the Playbook owners are concerned.

But I do think that Thorsten owes the PB community a more detailed explanation of the reasons for abandoning the effort to port BB10 to the Playbook along with a fuller explanation of the efforts and some details not just generalities. He also needs to say what improvements are planned for for both the wifi and LTE version of the PB. He ought to directly address us not just put out press reports.
    EchoesFX and the_real_mikeyb like this.
    06-29-13 03:52 PM
    Here's my positive comment - bring me a new BB10 slider and a new 300+ ppi PlayBook, and I am back on the bandwagon. Until then, I'm not buying the promises anymore. USB sync for BB10 to Outlook is the next huge broken promise, just wait and see..
    I feel exactly the same. Only thing I think will be different is that the next tablet will not be named a "PlayBook " for the name has left a bad taste in their mouths but I'm on point with the rest of the comment.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10 or PlayBook!
    jcbrunson likes this.
    06-29-13 03:55 PM
    Mine was gathering dust waiting for BB10 - I was considering porting some of my games to Blackberry when Playbook has BB10. It won't happen now. I will again try to convert it into a clock/photo frame probably.
    06-29-13 04:24 PM
    I'm still going to use my PlayBook a lot. I enjoy using my PlayBook. I'd really be happy if BlackBerry would update the Bridge software, so I'd have all the features that I used to have with my Storm. I was disappointed that I lost all my favorite Bridge features when upgraded to a Z10 from my Storm.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 04:30 PM
    I'll keep using it as my SiriusXM player! Baba Booey to y'all!
    06-29-13 04:33 PM
    Second time on here I rant about paying full price for a 16GB version. I've come to terms with the disappointment that is RIM and their false promises, the best I can hope for now is that the keyboard case goes on sale. And I mean dirt cheap. Its the only way they can sell those units.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    06-29-13 04:44 PM
    ...snip... the best I can hope for now is that the keyboard case goes on sale. And I mean dirt cheap. Its the only way they can sell those units.
    Amen on that point. It's the LEAST they can do.
    06-29-13 05:06 PM
    PB still in use bridged with my BB 9780
    will upgrade T-Mobile to a BB 9315 which has a wifi hotspot so I can use my 2,5 gb dataplan tethering my new Ipad to be purchased when the new ones come out in October
    I stick with a old BB OS 7.1 phone as I can use my email over BIS or BES
    I travel a lot internationally, so BIS cost me only about $5 a week on T-Mo USA
    so in future i will travel without my laptop, but with 2 tablets

just upgraded my MS office to Office 365 which I will use in any browser
    so my BB phone with bridged PB64 will mainly be for emailing, music and pictures
    my Ipad for my database and work related
    06-29-13 05:07 PM
    I feel exactly the same. Only thing I think will be different is that the next tablet will not be named a "PlayBook " for the name has left a bad taste in their mouths but I'm on point with the rest of the comment.
    Oh my, that sounds like another juicy topic. Let's hear some witty (and sarcastic) names for a future BlackBerry tablet and then turn that into another poll. Let the suggestions begin!
    06-29-13 05:11 PM
    Have 3 PB and last time I used was when we went on New years vacation loading videos and music.
    For myself never used for business so guess will power them up December 26, 2013 to load stuff for the plane ride.
    06-29-13 05:17 PM
    I actually will be buying 3 more BlackBerry Playbooks to let my kids play with as well as for my business. I have a 32GB since the date of its release for me it is way better than any iPad out there.

Cory Cannon
    06-29-13 05:23 PM
    i think the major change for me isn't what i will do with my pb, which i use daily... the change in my mind is whether to buy another bb phone... the way BB has handled the pb situation is, plain and simple, bad... i was waiting on the fence regarding try the Z10, or wait for Aristo... now, this pb situation it is, in fact, a factor in my decision
    06-29-13 05:27 PM
    Is bridging necessary for the PlayBook to function adequately? Because even with its not too up to date OS, it looks nice, and seems to operate well enough. I liked the cards and gestures.
    06-29-13 05:31 PM
    i think the major change for me isn't what i will do with my pb, which i use daily... the change in my mind is whether to buy another bb phone... the way BB has handled the pb situation is, plain and simple, bad... i was waiting on the fence regarding try the Z10, or wait for Aristo... now, this pb situation it is, in fact, a factor in my decision
    In complete agreement here. This has most definitely changed my plan to upgrade to the Q10, now that I know a Q10+PB fully bridged will be impossible. Not to mention the Q10 getting delayed til late June here in the states.
    06-29-13 05:33 PM
162 12345 ...