Voters
353. You may not vote on this poll
  • I updated with noticeable improvements

162 45.89%
  • I updated with NO noticeable improvements

158 44.76%
  • I updated and it did terrible things to my PB

33 9.35%
    I was NEVER able to get GPS to work on my PB and because of this thread I decided to test it on Bing maps. For the first time ever, it picked up my location (wrong side of the street, but close enough for me). Not only was this the first time I have EVER gotten GPS to work, but it picked it up within seconds of the app opening!!
    08-06-12 11:40 AM
    What do you mean it was pulled? I still have it on my PB, and do notice some improvements. Is it simply no longer available? Are terrible things going to happen to those of us who updated (dandruff, poorer gas mileage?)? Is the world really coming to an end?
    You forgot no Kim Kardashian.
    08-06-12 11:49 AM
    The choices on the poll are too vague for my answer. I did the update and so far it has has more cons than pros for me. The browser seems faster, but certain apps seem to limit how many that can run in the background. For instance, I have crackberry running and I check the native weather app and I also want to see the radar, it will only allow 2 apps. Crackberry goes poof. When I return to the Crackberry icon, it still has me logged in, but it is not where I left it before it closed. Other apps allow more to run in the background. I have also noticed some lagging when I log on and type my user name and password. I haven't used it enough yet to comment further. As always, I learn something new nearly every time I log into crackberry. I will share the info that RIM pulled the update to my friends that are baffled why it wasn't offered on their PB.
    08-06-12 11:49 AM
    generally everything just works better or faster. I've had a couple of browser poofs but other than that I'm very pleased!
    08-06-12 11:53 AM
    I'm not sure I fit any of the choices. Things seem a bit smoother overall but nothing spectacular.
    rcab likes this.
    08-06-12 11:53 AM
    I forgot I sideloaded yahoo messenger from goodereader or whatever it is. It never worked over bridge before and is working over bridge right now
    08-06-12 12:01 PM
    I can't vote since I could not download the upgrade (no reliable wifi available when I got the notice).

But what I find, even now, astonishing, is that there is no further word on this from the CB site.
    08-06-12 12:20 PM
    I can't vote since I could not download the upgrade (no reliable wifi available when I got the notice).

But what I find, even now, astonishing, is that there is no further word on this from the CB site.
    I have to agree with that.
    08-06-12 12:33 PM
    Having updated and subsequently used my PB I see no discernible difference in its operation.

If any what are the differences by updating?
    08-06-12 12:43 PM
    the problem is any so called "improvement" is a personal judgement, to be frank with you, I didn't see any quantified improvement.
    08-06-12 01:16 PM

I guess they just pretend new update didn't exist at all. anyone who said they updated to 668 must live in their bubble

no communication,no even temporary solution, no suggestion whether I should keep new update or downgrade, no even why they pulled back. that is not defensible IMO
    08-06-12 01:20 PM
    Playlists now play songs in the proper order on the music player. That's one objective improvement that's on the PB of everyone who upgraded. Of course, if you've never put any playlists on your PB along with your music, you wouldn't know.
    Thanks JasW, I stand corrected, there is an improvement in my media playlists, their back in order .
    08-06-12 01:27 PM
    It isn't judgment that yahoo messenger that I sideloaded awhile back now works over bridge when it didn't before and it also does not time out when it is in the background.
    rotorwrench and Chaddface like this.
    08-06-12 01:31 PM
    I'm not sure I fit any of the choices. Things seem a bit smoother overall but nothing spectacular.
    Choice #2 may to be your best option.
    08-06-12 01:39 PM
    I agree. As the days go by I am more curious as to the reason for pulling it. I'm not buying the reports of excessive battery drain as the reason. After every update I always see someone reporting wacky behavior. Maybe a security issue? That would explain the lack of explanation.
    08-06-12 01:46 PM
    Agree 100%. Feels like covert ops from RIM once again. Love my pb & my 9930 but am starting to have my doubts about RIM's future...makes me sad.
    08-06-12 02:37 PM
    opening an email is much faster

much less lag on typing in screen password

speedier browser / less checker-boarding
    08-06-12 02:56 PM
    Battery life might be marginally better. But I seem to have a lot more checkerboarding in the browser than before the update.

And it could just be me, but I'm wasting a LOT more time fixing *#$?!@ing typos!!!
    08-06-12 03:00 PM
    app windows are open much quicker upon selection. IE, select browser for example, and the preview card is open instantly, then maximizes to full screen. There was slight lag between touching an icon and seeing the preview card in earlier builds. Playbook lasted a few days on airplane mode in standby with low usage, and drained a few percents per hour while web browsing.
    08-06-12 03:03 PM
    It makes my Pbk crash when plenty of battery life is still available
    flion likes this.
    08-06-12 03:10 PM
    The browser seems to be a bit faster, although I can no longer send emails using my yahoo account, it just gets an error and stops...
    08-06-12 03:20 PM

Does it matter how good, bad, or indifferent 668 was? It's gone, RIM pulled it.

Whatever the reason for that pull, and I can't recall any other occasion when RIM has pulled a PB build. The 1.07 build was stable but the first 1.08 build killed WiFi for many... after a storm of posting, RIM released a new 1.08 a few weeks later that fixed WiFi again... but the old 1.08 build wasn't pulled.

Even if a zillion posters vote that 668 made their PB run like a greased weasel, it won't be coming back.

Tho' hopefully whatever build comes next will retain the improvements, if any, in 668.
    It does matter, because I got it!
    Chaddface likes this.
    08-06-12 04:25 PM
    My playbook was running fine before, and it's running fine now. No noticeable improvements. Maybe very small ones. But I'm not even sure.
    08-06-12 04:37 PM
    the problem is any so called "improvement" is a personal judgement, to be frank with you, I didn't see any quantified improvement.
    Not personal judgement when Outlook activates and previously wouldn't, when playlists are now ordered and weren't, when GPS locks noticeably quicker (I would time it for you but I'm not going to downgrade to do it), some users' GPS wouldn't lock at all and now do etc....

But I get your meaning. Because YOU don't notice any so called "improvement", it's obvious there was NO so called "improvement", your observations being fact, not personal judgement, right?
    08-06-12 04:41 PM
    I guess they just pretend new update didn't exist at all. anyone who said they updated to 668 must live in their bubble

no communication,no even temporary solution, no suggestion whether I should keep new update or downgrade, no even why they pulled back. that is not defensible IMO
    From several BB sites, including CB:

"RIM had this to say:

RIM discovered an issue with the PlayBook software 2.0.1.668 update. The update has been removed. Customers that have already successfully updated to version 2.0.1.668 are not affected and can continue using their PlayBook with the updated software. "
    08-06-12 04:45 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD