316. You may not vote on this poll
  • buy a replacement Playbook

184 58.23%
  • buy a deifferent tablet

75 23.73%
  • not buy any tablet | save the money for something else

57 18.04%
    Hi Crackberry Playbook Nation.

I know most of us are tired of all this bickering on this site about the virtues and shortcomings of the PLaybook. As an argument, each side in this debate feels compelled to refer to a poll on this site. However, I find most of the existing polls here "framing" questions to get the voter to make a certain choice. Furthermore, some polls would have questions that leave other alternatives out.

This poll is designed to elicit what you will do if your Playbook is lost or stolen. It's not a question about your feelings but about your actions, as, I believe that words lie but actions don't. So, please, make sure you imagine the situation and take some time to think before you respond. I've tried to phrase the question and answers (thanks to F2 for the idea) in a way to make them as neutral as possible.

P.S. Please, don't post anything like "oh, another such thread". Just go to the main forum and find a thread you like. Or read the first paragraph that explains why I created this poll again.

Disclaimer: Don't forget that you are on Crackberry.com and the results won't reflect the true state of nature, as Crackberry forum users are unlikely to be a representative sample of all Playbook users. So this is a survey of Crackberry users.

Thanks.

Edit (11/3): The answer choices are exhaustive and mutually exclusive, which is a requirement for any poll.

I agree with the points some of you made:

1) Cost may be a factor but in no way does it bias the first two options. It may equally apply to those who would like a replacement Playbook or a different tablet unless you are ready to make the assumption that one group has more disposable income than the other.

2) Future should be viewed as irrelevant. We really don't know what it holds. Given the track record of RIM, we may or may not see the OS update in February. We also don't know what the market will be like in 4 months. It is possible that some producers will out a tablet that will make the existing tablets irrelevant or simply outdated. Or we may end up with the same players on the market (should something like the Thailand flood occur) and the recently announced tablets are delayed. The fact is nobody knows what will happen.

Thus, please, read the question as "If your Playbook were lost or stolen, what would you do?" not as "If your Playbook were lost or stolen, what would you do in 4 months (2 years, 16 years)?". That is, please, forget about the ifs and whens. Answer it based on all currently available and verifiable information.

Thanks again for your responses and comments.
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-03-11 at 04:01 PM.
    11-02-11 11:19 PM
    If my PlayBook were lost or stolen...

...I would seriously consider a tablet from another manufacturer as a replacement. Not saying I would buy one for sure, but I would take a good at what's out there knowing what I know about the PlayBook now, versus when I bought it on launch day back in April.
    ferganer likes this.
    11-02-11 11:25 PM
    If my PlayBook were lost or stolen...

...I would seriously consider a tablet from another manufacturer as a replacement. Not saying I would buy one for sure, but I would take a good at what's out there knowing what I know about the PlayBook now, versus when I bought it on launch day back in April.
    Thanks. Can you, please, vote?
    11-02-11 11:29 PM
    I would get a Galaxy 8.9 in a heartbeat
    adamman and ferganer like this.
    11-02-11 11:37 PM
    I would get a Galaxy 8.9 in a heartbeat
    this would me my choice as well. so bad it's not sold everywhere (only Best Buy and eBay) and the price is still kinda steep.
    11-02-11 11:43 PM
    For me there really isn't a better 7" tablet on the market that meets my needs at this time.....neither fruit or Martian varieties. Rim just needs to hit a home run with the game changer QNX/BBX super phones which I want more than OS2
    bbvj and ferganer like this.
    11-02-11 11:58 PM
    This will be fun

My turn to discredit the poll - this one is flawed because you are not considering price as a factor, but I'm betting this poll will show the same result as the others anyway.

Maybe some would replace it for $99 and not $400? Maybe some can't afford to replace it?
    Maybe some would wait for 2.0 to decide? (highly likely)

There are a lot of factors you're not considering. However I predict you will lose anyway,
    and the excuse will be because of the bias of the fact that this is in a playbook forum ...

Personally, I have become highly dependent on it, and would have to eat whatever cost to replace it immediately, so it could start paying for the loss in time and money saved!

What I have to wonder is why it is so important to you that everyone hate their playbooks as much as you?
    Feeling lonely?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-03-11 at 12:12 AM.
    erhan8, kbz1960, ScoobsDM and 1 others like this.
    11-03-11 12:01 AM
    This will be fun

My turn to discredit the poll - this one is flawed because you are not considering price as a factor, but I'm betting this poll will show the same result as the others anyway.

Maybe some would replace it for $99 and not $400? Maybe some can't afford to replace it?
    Maybe some would wait for 2.0 to decide? (highly likely)

There are a lot of factors you're not considering. However I predict you will lose anyway.
    that's why he's got the third option. and am i missing anything? how is the poll about losing or winning?

i thing the op made the question right. it does not matter what the cost is. it's irrelevant. the post is about what you will do. so if you really value the playbook, you'll buy a replacement or save the money. if you don't like it but need a tablet, you'll buy a different tablet or save the money. so, save the money (and the whole cost part of it) applies to both first and second choice. especially, considering that the playbook is priced about the same as other tablets.

also the question doesn't imply anything about the future os update. it shouldn't. it asks you whether you will buy a replacement or not. so the question describes the current situation with the playbook, not some future expectations (which may or may not materialize) or strategic moves. isn't this the point you, guyz, have been emphasizing. "do not buy tablet based on what it WILL do"
    Last edited by adamman; 11-03-11 at 12:16 AM.
    FF22, Chrisy, ferganer and 1 others like this.
    11-03-11 12:13 AM
    For me there really isn't a better 7" tablet on the market that meets my needs at this time.....neither fruit or Martian varieties. Rim just needs to hit a home run with the game changer QNX/BBX super phones which I want more than OS2
    When officially released, BBX will be OS2 rebadged for the superphones (can RIM possibly live up to the hype?) and the PB. Should a lot of fun when it happens.

As to the poll options, I'd pick up a replacement PB immediately. The poll actually reminds me to back up my data just in case. I've lots of great pics and vids now that I'd hate to lose.
    adamman and ferganer like this.
    11-03-11 12:21 AM
    ... The poll actually reminds me to back up my data just in case. I've lots of great pics and vids now that I'd hate to lose.
    The poll reminds me that I'm happy all my PIM data is on my phone....and NOT the playbook.
    11-03-11 12:27 AM
    that's why he's got the third option. and am i missing anything? how is the poll about losing or winning?
    Wrong - the third option is to NOT buy a tablet at all...explicitly to save the money for something else - not wait to decide what tablet to get, or until you can afford the replacement..

It's about losing or wining because OP is obviously unhappy with other polls that show that playbook owners in the strong majority are happy with their purchase, he thought those were unfair polls. He's looking for a different result. He will lose.

But at least we will be able to put this to rest, I'm happy he is doing it in what he considers to be a fair way. That way nobody will be able to attempt to discredit the result.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-03-11 at 12:36 AM.
    11-03-11 12:29 AM
    Feeling lonely?
    This would be my particular case.. If my Playbook ever gets stolen or lost... unless I find another one for $200 or less i would probably get a Kindle Fire or a tablet around that budget.
    11-03-11 12:34 AM
    Wrong - the third option is to NOT buy a tablet at all...

It's about losing or wining because OP is obviously unhappy with other polls that show that playbook owners in the strong majority are happy with their purchase, he thought those were unfair polls. He's looking for a different result. He will lose.

But at least we will be able to put this to rest.
    i see. i did some digging and if you were right, why would op be unhappy about the poll he used in one of his responses?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...riends-664579/

anyhow, this is just a poll, i don't think that it should become another battlefield.
    11-03-11 12:35 AM
    I would not buy a different tablet.

I would purchase a replacement PlayBook from the 10%.
    11-03-11 02:08 AM
    I would not buy a different tablet.

I would purchase a replacement PlayBook from the 10%.
    I don't think 100% of the 10% own a PB.
    erhan8 and Chrisy like this.
    11-03-11 02:11 AM
    i see. i did some digging and if you were right, why would op be unhappy about the poll he used in one of his responses?

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...riends-664579/

anyhow, this is just a poll, i don't think that it should become another battlefield.
    Recommending and being happy with what you own are unrelated subjects, as the polls show.
    11-03-11 02:39 AM
    Well, when I came to this thread, I thought it would be about "how much time would you spend recovering a functional tool". Obviously, it would have benn much more oriented ;-).
    Anyway; I'll buy a new one (in fact two, that equals three these days), no doubt. Form factor, bridge and brand are enough to make the difference. But the best is about what I first stated ...
    As an example, and for testing purposes, I wipe and/or update/downgrade my PB almost every day ... and never lost a bit, with a full (wizzard) reinstall time LTE 40 min. No email setup ... WPS ... dropbox ... wow.
    11-03-11 03:02 AM
    I would get another, tbis time a 32 instead of a 16.
    11-03-11 03:49 AM
    They make other tablets?!?
    11-03-11 05:54 AM
    Recommending and being happy with what you own are unrelated subjects, as the polls show.
    agree. completely unrelated. i never recommend anything that i like to my friends. and usually recommend them stuff that i think stinks. cuz i am a mean mf

btw, have you completed any surveys in your life? most of them would have something like 'would you recommend this and that to your friends?' or do you spend all your time here on this forum singing odes to the almighty playbook?
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    11-03-11 10:44 AM
    Well assuming RIM is still around when/if my playbook gets lost or stolen then I would just have to get another larger capacity one unless of course usb otg is working by then.

I would buy one from one of the disgrunted people cheap!
    11-03-11 11:37 AM
    This poll needs an option to Wait to purchase until I see what happens with PB updates
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-03-11 11:40 AM
    This poll needs an option to Wait to purchase until I see what happens with PB updates
    then it should have an option to wait for ipad 3, tegra 4 tablets, android 5, windows 8, etc.
    11-03-11 11:44 AM
    Stolen PlayBook?

I'd possibly wait for PlayBook 2 at this point.
    11-03-11 11:49 AM
    Hmm so the fair poll is showing the same results as the unfair poll? Interesting..

Stolen PlayBook?

I'd possibly wait for PlayBook 2 at this point.
    LOL nobody steals from ninja deathcommand! and lives to tell about it...!
    11-03-11 11:52 AM
136 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD