I would like to start by saying I am fed up with RIM restricting the podcast app on all their platforms. (Same problem on my 9800)
    This caused me to go through multiple re-installations of my Playbook OS to get back the apps, before I finally realized that they were region specific.

I have found a way to allow anyone to have the Podcasts app(the newest version), along with the Video store app, Slacker Radio, and the RIM-built "News" app. EDIT: If News is not downloaded in the update you can find it in App World.

All you have to do is
    1. find a US proxy server ip and port (I used "71.174.238.151" on port "1588"
    2. Open the Wifi Settings menu on the Playbook and edit your current connection
    3. Enable the HTTP Proxy and enter the details recorded in step 1
    4. Save and reconnect
    5. Go to settings and check for software updates
    6. Let it download and install
    7. (Optional) Disable/Delete proxy settings
    8. Enjoy!

This is a list of free US proxies you can use
    Last edited by ninjatogo; 02-25-12 at 01:01 AM.
    02-25-12 12:14 AM
    Why on earth would the podcast app be region specific? This makes no sense to me.
    02-25-12 12:37 AM
    I have no idea, but RIM has made it specific to the US and Canada only. My method will let everyone have it. Here's the list of default apps for each region.
    Last edited by ninjatogo; 02-25-12 at 12:44 AM.
    02-25-12 12:41 AM
    I should mention, that downloading the video store works, but I don't think you can buy anything, just browse. Also, the Podcasts app will not show the US list, so you need to add your own.
    02-25-12 01:11 AM
    i was already behind a proxy because of which none of the us/canada based servers with 8080 or 80 port wouldn't work for me. i had to use a server with alternate port
    02-25-12 02:29 AM
    I just wanted to add..recently today I tried being sneaky and cheap by changing to a Colombia proxy to access the regional free apps in app world. After doing so and it not working I removed the proxy and noticed I would get fail messages trying to download some apps. As well when going into settings, my BlackBerry ID could not be retrieved. I panicked for a few moments and then deleted my saved network and re-added it, this fixed the issue. Just wanted to give you all a heads up incase this happens to you!
    Ninjatogo likes this.
    02-25-12 02:45 AM
    I have never experienced errors from doing this. Thanks for the heads up for those users that may also run into the same problem.
    02-25-12 10:05 AM
    What do you use for the SSID? I tried to set up a proxy but couldn't get past the SSID blank.
    02-25-12 11:18 AM
    You do not need to create a new connection, just edit your current one by bringing down the drop down menu in Wifi Settings and tapping Saved Networks, then tap your current network and enable HTTP Proxy.
    02-25-12 11:44 AM
    What do you use for the SSID? I tried to set up a proxy but couldn't get past the SSID blank.
    yeah i got the same message, field is required. Any ideas ?

On a seperate note i downloaded PodCat which is an anroid app but in appworld, decent enough podcast app to use until we use BB one.
    Last edited by CGSCOT; 02-25-12 at 12:08 PM.
    02-25-12 12:04 PM
    For podcasts I use the BBC. You have to listen as it downloads but you can do it when you want.
    02-25-12 01:25 PM
    i tried this way got it loaded but seems it dont load the lists from the blackberry servers as i seen on a few videoes it brings in lists of podcasts seems you have to add manually not pick subricriptions..
    Last edited by 404error; 02-28-12 at 12:53 PM.
    02-27-12 05:22 PM
    Does the "non us" version support rss? Thats all I basically need ...
    03-02-12 01:54 AM
    Why on earth would the podcast app be region specific? This makes no sense to me.
    Why isnt there a way to enter the url of a podcast feed you want to subscribe to instead of being limited to what they have handpicked for you? I use podtrapper instead on my phone... The most versatile app for podcast listening hands down. I hope they make a version for playbook soon.
    03-02-12 06:29 AM
    Grrrrr. Following this link now returns RIM's gracious message that I am not authorized to have this info. I can't find a more recent version.

So, here is the list copied from Google's cache, captured on Feb 17 2012:

blaybook likes this.
    03-04-12 03:19 PM
    I am already behind the proxy but after checking for updates I get the message "You currently have the latest software installed", so nothing to install ((((
    03-05-12 01:01 PM
    Yeah, we've been doing this since launch. Nice of you to re-post for new members.

While behind the proxy, the Video Store works like a charm as well.

I am already behind the proxy but after checking for updates I get the message "You currently have the latest software installed", so nothing to install ((((
    Meaning your proxy is bogus. Get another.
    03-05-12 01:18 PM
    As a winter resident of the southern US, I have realized that government regulations restrict streaming of Cdn programs into the US. I can't speak about Poscast, but there may be regulations there also.
    03-05-12 02:16 PM
    I would like to start by saying I am fed up with RIM restricting the podcast app on all their platforms. (Same problem on my 9800)
    This caused me to go through multiple re-installations of my Playbook OS to get back the apps, before I finally realized that they were region specific.

I have found a way to allow anyone to have the Podcasts app(the newest version), along with the Video store app, Slacker Radio, and the RIM-built "News" app. EDIT: If News is not downloaded in the update you can find it in App World.

All you have to do is
    1. find a US proxy server ip and port (I used "71.174.238.151" on port "1588"
    2. Open the Wifi Settings menu on the Playbook and edit your current connection
    3. Enable the HTTP Proxy and enter the details recorded in step 1
    4. Save and reconnect
    5. Go to settings and check for software updates
    6. Let it download and install
    7. (Optional) Disable/Delete proxy settings
    8. Enjoy!

This is a list of free US proxies you can use

Wowo thanks for the hint Ninjatogo, i was trying almost the same thing before but was looking in the appstore for these APPS, but after reading your post i fired up my proxy and went to Software update where it downloaded 19MB worth of data and as it turns out i now have all the cool things including my Video chat (not available in ME REGION), Slacker radio, Podcast, Music Store, Video Store and NFB app.

To give all these readers who are having trouble getting these apps, this is what i did.

Google for Hotspot Shield settings for Iphone, once you get these settings, go to Security > VPN and enter the details.

After that just connect to the Saved VPN (while still connected to Wifi) and open Software update.

P.S. If you cant get the updates first time, you may have to restart ur PB and then it will work.

Cheers and have fun
    03-21-12 02:55 AM
    Or just use iTunes.

Apple has podcasts down to a science
    03-21-12 07:49 AM
    As a winter resident of the southern US, I have realized that government regulations restrict streaming of Cdn programs into the US. I can't speak about Poscast, but there may be regulations there also.
    I believe this is what's going on as I posted in other threads. The problem seems to be that instead of restricting some content to some regions, it seems RIM just blocked everything in the apps. When using iTunes, there is some US Podcast content I can't subscribe to from Canada. But I just get a dialog warning with those specific Podcasts. It's not a common problem with Podcasts though, more with other media due to licensing issues.

It's just one of the shortcomings of the stock RIM Podcast app. It's a pretty poor app. Anyone have any updates on other Podcast apps that run well in OS2? I saw a couple mentioned earlier, but just curious what all is available.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 03-21-12 at 09:08 AM.
    03-21-12 09:05 AM
    Doesn't work for me. Tried various proxies, but it doesn't find any update. I'm on 2.1.0.1088 currently
    11-09-12 04:25 PM
    Ok, what are the regulations that prevent me to download public podcasts from North America to Europe on my playbook, and that that don't apply on my Windows, Linux and Android devices ?

Just curious.
    11-10-12 04:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD