Hi.

I'm off to England next week and taking my Blackberry. My question is this: do I just need a plug size adaptor so that I can plug my charger in to an English configured socket? Or do I also need a voltage converter? I've been told by one person that the little Blackberry power converter that plugs into the wall now will convert both North American and English voltage.

Thanks.

John
    09-18-12 01:00 PM
    You will only need a shape converter, so that it fits the plug, the adapter itself can handle both 110 and 220 V.
    canada john likes this.
    09-18-12 01:02 PM
    Here's a chart that shows which plugs each country uses. The UK uses style G,D and M.

Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    canada john likes this.
    09-18-12 01:16 PM
    Here's a chart that shows which plugs each country uses. The UK uses style G,D and M.

Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I haven't seen a round-pin plug in over 30-years (since I re-wired my Grandma's cottage!). Stick to an adapter for the 3-pin type G plug and you'll be OK though.

If you already have a rapid charger, you can get the clover-leaf power-lead with a UK plug already fitted from hobby shops to use with the existing rapid charger. The lead won't be much more expensive than the adapter.
    09-18-12 01:55 PM
    Well, what if the OP was staying at an old house that hadn't been re-wired?

I'm just going off the list. I just pick the BB-provided tips that resemble the ones in the pics and haven't had a problem yet. That list usually gives specifics for the country, too. It's a handy resource for me because I have users going all over the world.
    09-18-12 02:02 PM
    I was fourtunate enough to recently visit Northern Ireland which use the same convention as England, and both my BB9900 mini adapter and my playbook adapter charged both up just fine with just a physical converter. No transformer (i.e. voltage converter) needed. My adapters are Canadian bought.

Hint: if any device states on it that the input range includes the voltage in the country you are visiting, it should generally work there with just a physical adapter. England uses 220 to 240 VAC. The BB adapters I have say that their accetable input range is 100 - 240 VAC, so it should (and did) work.

In some cases, a frequency incompatibilty will mess things up, as the frequency in England is 50Hz and in North America it's 60Hz. The BB adapters also say they accept 50-60Hz, so no issue there, but always worth keeping in the back of your mind.
    09-18-12 02:21 PM
    You will only need type G. If you find yourself in the dark ages, ring me and I will personally deliver the plug you need.

Its more likely you will find a US plug than one of the other types.....lol.
    09-18-12 03:29 PM
    Well, what if the OP was staying at an old house that hadn't been re-wired?
    My Grandma never really understood "electrickery", bless her... I think she thought it was like invisible water and she always left the plug in the socket "...to stop all the electric leaking away".

When the old wiring and sockets were replaced I made sure all the sockets had a switch on the face-plate so she could "safely" take the plug out at night and the switch would stop all the electricity leaking out overnight.

Bless!
    Heavens1 likes this.
    09-18-12 05:16 PM
    I wasn't saying that anyone was wrong. Input from someone in the country in question is always helpful, but not something I usually have available. Just in the last month, I've had users traveling to France, England, Vietnam, the Bahamas, South Africa to name but a few.
    09-18-12 05:27 PM
    If all else fails you can pick up a 3 pin to usb adapter in most shops for pennies these days god bless bb's coming with micro usb out of the box (fighting really hard to resist following that up with some sniggering towards certain phones but I'll behave for now
    09-18-12 06:04 PM
    It depends entirely on if you have a left or right handed playbook
    09-18-12 06:41 PM
    It depends entirely on if you have a left or right handed playbook
    Left handed, of course, with the ports along the TOP! I never could figure out why they placed the volume buttons on the bottom where they are so hard to read and use.
    09-18-12 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD