Hello All! <Playbook running current OS 2.10.1753>

I've had my Playbook for 2 years. I am in a terrible Catch-22 situation. I would like to do a Security Wipe as my Video Chat icon disappeared two days ago (can receive calls but my address book etc. is gone so no out-going calls) but I have NEVER backed up as I have never been able to do so (always receive error message). Luckily, I don't have anything important on my Playbook HOWEVER I have been researching the last two days and found that a few people who have done a Security Wipe ended up losing MORE icons rather than being able to restore their lost ones.

So, if I do a Security Wipe:

1) Should it reset to a state where I will finally be able to back-up?
    2) Which OS will be left behind, the original 2.0 or the latest?
    3) Fingers-crossed, should my Video Chat icon return?
    4) If I end up with only the Set-Up icon and the Browser icon (as I have read in some posts), how will I be able to reset my system with the old icons or at that point have I truly killed my Playbook (LOL)?

Any other thoughts and tips would be awesome! Thanks!!!
    12-06-13 01:41 AM
    Hello All! <Playbook running current OS 2.10.1753>

I've had my Playbook for 2 years. I am in a terrible Catch-22 situation. I would like to do a Security Wipe as my Video Chat icon disappeared two days ago (can receive calls but my address book etc. is gone so no out-going calls) but I have NEVER backed up as I have never been able to do so (always receive error message). Luckily, I don't have anything important on my Playbook HOWEVER I have been researching the last two days and found that a few people who have done a Security Wipe ended up losing MORE icons rather than being able to restore their lost ones.

So, if I do a Security Wipe:

1) Should it reset to a state where I will finally be able to back-up?
    2) Which OS will be left behind, the original 2.0 or the latest?
    3) Fingers-crossed, should my Video Chat icon return?
    4) If I end up with only the Set-Up icon and the Browser icon (as I have read in some posts), how will I be able to reset my system with the old icons or at that point have I truly killed my Playbook (LOL)?

Any other thoughts and tips would be awesome! Thanks!!!
    Assume you have turned the PB off and restarted it and that didn't work, Then do the three finger reset and see if that works.

One wild easy thing to do is to connect to the internet and using the gear bezel navigate to software updates and tap check for software updates.

Don't panic and do a security wipe before checking other ways including Link and/or Desktop Manager.

The security wipe will dump all your photos, docs and personal information and remove all apps loaded from the BB store and side loaded. The operating system will remain. Not sure if resetting action will return the lost icon. When you set it up it will be as if it is a new tablet. If you use the same BB ID as before you should get the apps back from BB world if they are still there but you are on your own for sideloaded apps and pics and docs, Go to BB Knowledge Base and check Playbook Security Wipe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    12-06-13 02:49 AM
    do a back up w/ desktop manager,,, you can also drag & drop any files you'd like to by doing this---> http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-wi-fi-661022/ <--- DO NOT use link to do backups,, some data WILL be lost, i.e. game progress, etc,,, then do your wipe, you should be ok...
    12-06-13 02:50 AM
    You probably don't need to wipe. It sounds like you've discovered the bug in the OS that happens when you remove ALL of the icons off of the Playbook's dock and then attempt to move one or more icons back to the dock. Poof, they disappear. Try moving an icon up to the dock. If it disappears, then keep going and move all of your icons up to the dock so they all disappear. Then reboot. Your icons should come back.

As for you research re losing icons after a security wipe, it might help if you read the entire threads that you found. If you had, you'd know that those who lost icons after a wipe got them back after doing the update that is available after a wipe. (Settings/Software Updates/Check for Updates).
    12-06-13 02:56 AM