Maybe the reason it gives a link to the developer tools is because that's actually what it needs for it to work? (I have no idea if this is the case, it just seems a logical conclusion). Have you tried installing the software from the site Plex directs you to?
    No, it was a Plex goof. I've got past the Silverlight error message now. However, now when Netflix loads up in Plex, there are two buttons -- one for Preferences, where you sign into your account, and a second Netflix logo button that says "Sign up for free trial." That button is still there after one logs in (and after restarting Plex and restarting the PB). When you hit the button, it gives an error message: "Plex is having trouble communicating with [your PC]: There was an internal server error while trying to respond to the client request please check the server logs for more details." You have the option of responding to this error message with "Ignore" or "Pick A New Server." Ignore just brings you back to the two button screen. I can't beyond that. Thanks, Plex!

Also, as I mentioned, a fair number of the movies on my PC simply won't play, and there's no rhyme or reason that I've been able to find to distinguish between those that will play and those that won't (generally, all of my movies are mp4 files). When I tap on one of the movies that won't play, I get the (fatal) error message "Oops! Plex ran into a problem -- please hold on a second while we recover." And then the thing crashes and I'm back to the PB home screen. Thanks, Plex!

FYI for Netflix to work with Windows 8 as your OS Plex Media Server must be run in compatability mode for Windows 7 there is no release yet for server to support Windows 8 yet, but in general majority of it works out of the box that way on Windows 8
    OK, now there is some potentially very helpful advice. I emphasize "potentially," however, for how does run Plex Media Server in compatibility mode? It's not a standalone program -- it uses the web browser. So are you saying I have to run my web browser in compatibility mode??? That's convenient. Also, it's not like Windows 8 just appeared yesterday. I've been running it for the better part of last year. You'd think a developer would make the effort. Thanks, Plex!
    11-22-12 11:02 AM
    Can you please provide instruction on how to use Plex with Bridge? I can see the server on Bridge but it never opens up. I am having no issues with Wifi, only Bridge. Thanks for your help!
    11-22-12 11:51 AM
    So are you saying I have to run my web browser in compatibility mode??? That's convenient.
    I think it means the Plex Media Server has to run in compatibility mode. not the browser...

and with regard to Windows 8, I dont know about you guys, but I'd on some level been hoping Windows 8 was a sick joke by MSFT and would go away by itself.
    11-22-12 12:25 PM
    OK, now there is some potentially very helpful advice. I emphasize "potentially," however, for how does run Plex Media Server in compatibility mode? It's not a standalone program -- it uses the web browser. So are you saying I have to run my web browser in compatibility mode??? That's convenient. Also, it's not like Windows 8 just appeared yesterday. I've been running it for the better part of last year. You'd think a developer would make the effort. Thanks, Plex!
    The server does not run in the browser. The interface is accessed via the browser [after all, it is a server], but the server itself is an .exe program running on your computer. By default it'll probably install somewhere like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe" [this is the Windows 7 install path, may be slightly different on Windows 8].

First off, kill the currently running Plex Media Server. Not sure how that's best done on Windows 8, on Windows 7 you can right click the tray icon and choose exit. Perhaps in desktop mode on Windows 8 you can do like wise? Otherwise kill it from Task Manager I guess. [Should show up as "Plex Media Server.exe" in Task Manager]. Once it has been killed, navigate to the location of the .exe file [as mentioned above], right click it and then choose "Properties". Go to the "Compatibility" tab, tick "Run in compatibility mode" and choose "Windows 7" from the drop down box. Click apply, and then close the Properties window. Then run the .exe file (i.e. double click it). Hopefully, all should now work. [EDIT: Also note that the program will run in Windows 7 compatibility mode from now on, so you won't have to do anything special in future, it should just keep working, in theory at least]
    11-22-12 12:36 PM
    The server does not run in the browser. The interface is accessed via the browser [after all, it is a server], but the server itself is an .exe program running on your computer. By default it'll probably install somewhere like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe" [this is the Windows 7 install path, may be slightly different on Windows 8].

First off, kill the currently running Plex Media Server. Not sure how that's best done on Windows 8, on Windows 7 you can right click the tray icon and choose exit. Perhaps in desktop mode on Windows 8 you can do like wise? Otherwise kill it from Task Manager I guess. [Should show up as "Plex Media Server.exe" in Task Manager]. Once it has been killed, navigate to the location of the .exe file [as mentioned above], right click it and then choose "Properties". Go to the "Compatibility" tab, tick "Run in compatibility mode" and choose "Windows 7" from the drop down box. Click apply, and then close the Properties window. Then run the .exe file (i.e. double click it). Hopefully, all should now work. [EDIT: Also note that the program will run in Windows 7 compatibility mode from now on, so you won't have to do anything special in future, it should just keep working, in theory at least]

D'oh! Of course, and no problem switching to Windows 7 compatibility mode in Windows 8 (once you are in the desktop, it's no different than Windows 8 with the exception of the Start button being gone). However . . . this didn't work. Not for Netflix, not for those movies that crash Plex. Same thing happens, and happens again even after a restart of both PC and PB. Is this a half-baked app for a half-baked tablet, or is it me? (Don't answer that.) I still have a couple of other PCs in my house running Windows 7, so I may try that for s--ts and giggles, but I am not optimistic. Then I may try reinstalling Plex on the PB and Plex Media Server on the PC, unless anybody has any better ideas. Grrrr . . . .
    11-22-12 01:10 PM
    Get it working with a known mature client first like the desktop client, ios or Roku. Then try the PB. There might be a few growing pains though so far it has only crashed on me with an oops error message and then restarts, but I haven't done too much yet to try and get to the bottom of the issue. BTW... I have ran Plex on a Windows 8 laptop with a Roku hooked up with a reverse cable and ICS running on Windows 8 (because Roku is brain dead WRT IP addresses) and it worked just fine. I did not try to get Netflix working however but local content and channels were just fine.
    11-22-12 01:43 PM
    D'oh! Of course, and no problem switching to Windows 7 compatibility mode in Windows 8 (once you are in the desktop, it's no different than Windows 8 with the exception of the Start button being gone). However . . . this didn't work. Not for Netflix, not for those movies that crash Plex. Same thing happens, and happens again even after a restart of both PC and PB. Is this a half-baked app for a half-baked tablet, or is it me? (Don't answer that.) I still have a couple of other PCs in my house running Windows 7, so I may try that for s--ts and giggles, but I am not optimistic. Then I may try reinstalling Plex on the PB and Plex Media Server on the PC, unless anybody has any better ideas. Grrrr . . . .
    If your having issues getting Netflix to work, download "Plex Media Center" on the same server PC from Get Plex! go to video channels and sign in from there the whole trial thing should disappear
    11-22-12 07:46 PM
    If your having issues getting Netflix to work, download "Plex Media Center" on the same server PC from Get Plex! go to video channels and sign in from there the whole trial thing should disappear
    I had already installed Plex Media Center on the same server PC -- not sure what you are talking about there, since how else can you run Plex on the PB without installing Plex Media Center on your server PC? In any event, trying to sign in from the Netflix video channel in Plex Media Server doesn't work either. You get two links -- a "Netflix" link that doesn't do anything and, yes, a "Sign up for free trial" link that consistently leads to a "This channel is currently unavailable" page with a frowny face.

May I say that "Plex is currently garbage"?

Edit: Against my better judgment, I threw away another $5 and installed Plex on the iPad 3. Netflix has the same problem there. Of course, no one using Plex on the iPad would care because the iPad has a dedicated Netflix app. I would also note that the movies that cause Plex to crash on the PB run just fine on Plex on the iPad. Now that's a swell bind to be in with the PB.
    Last edited by JasW; 11-22-12 at 09:16 PM.
    11-22-12 09:05 PM
    I had already installed Plex Media Center on the same server PC -- not sure what you are talking about there, since how else can you run Plex on the PB without installing Plex Media Center on your server PC? In any event, trying to sign in from the Netflix video channel in Plex Media Server doesn't work either. You get two links -- a "Netflix" link that doesn't do anything and, yes, a "Sign up for free trial" link that consistently leads to a "This channel is currently unavailable" page with a frowny face.

May I say that "Plex is currently garbage"?

Edit: Against my better judgment, I threw away another $5 and installed Plex on the iPad 3. Netflix has the same problem there. Of course, no one using Plex on the iPad would care because the iPad has a dedicated Netflix app. I would also note that the movies that cause Plex to crash on the PB run just fine on Plex on the iPad. Now that's a swell bind to be in with the PB.
    As has been stated multiple times Plex main focus isn't on Channels. It's on Media that exists on your server computer... Tv shows and movies organized and metadatad with posters and descriptions autodownloaded. It also has some channels. As clearly stated in their descriptions of the app. You are asked and invited to download their free server and try it out with all its features on the local side before you try to have it push that to the playbook or iPad. Incidentally no videos. None. Have ever crashed on my iphone or playbook. There Is a known setting change that needs to be set (HLS) on the first playbook release and a new version is being rushed through as a critical fix in app market. Once that setting is changed plex works great on Playbook. As far as Netflix goes though ... Obviously some have it working I'm sorry this side feature of plex doesn't work for you. You might stop into the plex help chat and speak with some of the many existing plex users to try and work through what issues you're having.
    11-22-12 10:02 PM
    I had already installed Plex Media Center on the same server PC -- not sure what you are talking about there, since how else can you run Plex on the PB without installing Plex Media Center on your server PC?
    Plex Media Center doesn't have to be installed on any PC to run the Playbook client or any other Plex client.
    All that is required is the Plex Server.
    wvh3 likes this.
    11-23-12 05:00 AM
    As has been stated multiple times Plex main focus isn't on Channels. It's on Media that exists on your server computer... Tv shows and movies organized and metadatad with posters and descriptions autodownloaded. It also has some channels. As clearly stated in their descriptions of the app. You are asked and invited to download their free server and try it out with all its features on the local side before you try to have it push that to the playbook or iPad. Incidentally no videos. None. Have ever crashed on my iphone or playbook. There Is a known setting change that needs to be set (HLS) on the first playbook release and a new version is being rushed through as a critical fix in app market. Once that setting is changed plex works great on Playbook. As far as Netflix goes though ... Obviously some have it working I'm sorry this side feature of plex doesn't work for you. You might stop into the plex help chat and speak with some of the many existing plex users to try and work through what issues you're having.
    The HLS setting (under Settings > Advanced) fixed all but the Netflix issue, so thanks for that. The importance of that setting apparently should not be downplayed, because without it, Plex is pretty much worthless on the PB. As for Netflix on my PB, the problem continues, but I can live without Netflix. DLNA is another story -- I have been dying to get it on the PB since the PB came out; and PlayOn was a very shabby semi-solution that I seldom used. Now with Plex -- and the HLS setting checked, thank you very much -- I have access to all my movies, home videos, and music -- hundreds of GBs worth of stuff -- anywhere I want with the PB. Terrific stuff. And not garbage.
    wvh3 likes this.
    11-28-12 06:27 AM
    FYI, It should be noted that the release of the Playbook version without the HLS checked was a mistake, and it was updated on app world almost immediately... I don't know about you guys, but I was shocked to find out how long it takes after a Developer posts an update for it to actually come through... well... two weeks later, it is now here. The new version of Plex for Playbook is out, and it has the settings changes built into it that have been described.

(Also, P.S. take a look at the plex website for the premium plexsync option that iOs just got.... I'm looking forward to THIS on the Playbook soon...)
    12-04-12 03:45 AM
    I just bought the app yesterday. Spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out exactly how to make it work without luck. I'll reread this forum and give it another shot today. Might be posting back with some questions if I need to. Thanks to all who have offered all the helpful info here.
    12-04-12 04:34 AM
    Okay....wth? Is there a complete step by step instruction on how to use this/how to set it up? I have no idea what I'm doing and the Plex forums is impossible (for me) to navigate through. All I want to do is be able to click on the Plex app and watch Netflix.
    12-04-12 07:36 AM
    Anyone else having trouble updating Plex to the latest version? I get an App World error 35005.
    12-07-12 10:34 AM
    Plex for the playbook does not load for me, simply a black screen. I assume it's a direct android port.
    12-26-12 11:14 AM
    I can't see the point of this app.

You can now stream from Plex Media Server using the playbook browser

Does this app give extra functionality that the browser doesn't ?
    01-26-13 08:15 AM
    New PC with Windows 8. I just installed Silverlight on it (at Plex's prompt), so it being an MS product, you'd think there wouldn't be a problem in terms of Windows compatibility.

Also, I note that some movies -- maybe a lot, I haven't checked them all -- crash Plex. They're all .mp4 files. Almost all are 720p. That is freaking annoying. The server is still updating things, though (currently on Photos), so maybe it needs to settle down.
    If someone already answered this I apologize, but have you tried from the windows 7 desktop emulator? My work schedule site is silver light and I can't use it when in IE on the 8 desktop, flip over to the 7 desktop and use it in IE there and it loads right up.

I had to get the red SGS3...garnet is my birthstone! Excuses sent via Tapatalk 2
    01-26-13 08:48 AM
93 ... 234