Go to the appstore to download:

A couple of hints, under advanced settings Check: Device supports HLS for transcoding to work - Guys long time waiting, enjoy

Please support the Plex team for their hard work by purchasing the app.
    Attached Thumbnails Plex for the BlackBerry PlayBook - ITS OUT!-img_00000201.jpg  
    tryfe likes this.
    11-19-12 03:45 PM
    Interesting. But it says you must have the media server running to use it; can it not play local media? (I'm not overly familiar with Plex, but my understanding was it was a fork of XBMC? I know XBMC has always supported local content, so I assumed Plex did too...)

Still, could be useful. Probably won't be buying straight away, but maybe sometime.
    11-19-12 03:51 PM
    Yes it can play local media on the network.

You can also create a MyPlex account and use BlackBerry Bridge and access your content over 3G or Wifi Remotely on your PlayBook now tell me of another app out there for the PlayBook that can do that

Check it out I promise you wont be disappointed.
    11-19-12 03:58 PM
    for those of us not as familiar with the app and its functionality, can you give us a little more insight on what the app does?
    reschp, Ben1232 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    11-19-12 04:18 PM
    Yes it can play local media on the network.

You can also create a MyPlex account and use BlackBerry Bridge and access your content over 3G or Wifi Remotely on your PlayBook now tell me of another app out there for the PlayBook that can do that

Check it out I promise you wont be disappointed.
    I don't think you understand "local content"; it means content on the device itself.

I have just installed Plex server and media center on my laptop and I'm not overly impressed. My first instinct was "Plex supports Netflix, right?". Apparently not in the UK. Had it worked with Netflix in the UK, I would probably have bought it pretty quickly. As it is, it probably won't be getting a purchase.
    11-19-12 04:18 PM
    With an ipad you can check into a hotel with WIFI and simply enjoy media...
    ...Does this PLEX solution require that you be within wireless distance to the PC you intall PLEX on?
    ...If that's what's going on here that's a total joke.

Is that what's going on here with Plex?
    jh07 likes this.
    11-19-12 06:06 PM
    Questions: Do I have to be on the same wifi network as my laptop is? Does it actually stream Netflix and does it stream it well? No pausing, skipping or buffering stuff? Splashtop allows me to access my computers, but not well enough to stream movies.....Is this different?!?
    MPG Vancouver likes this.
    11-19-12 06:56 PM
    I have had much better quality on Netflix through this method than through Splashtop. That's not saying a lot though, Splashtop is awful for Netflix. Maybe if I can dig out a camera I'll take a youtube video.
    11-19-12 07:12 PM
    Let me give you guys a breakdown.

Install Plex Media Server on a PC now all your local movies, music, photos ect, are available to you on the same network, toss in a MyPlex account (free) and all your content is now available to you ANYWARE in the world on wifi or 3G with Blackberry Bridge. Then add some channel plugins... Lets take Netflix for example, on your local wifi set remote quality on the PlayBook for plex to say.... 8mbps you now have all your netflix content @ 1080 quality. Splashtop does not work over Blackberry Bridge... This is your solution. If you guys ever have any issues or need some insight or have issues visit the Plex forums: Plex Forums or click the chat tab and visit me personally I will get you squared away. As far as UK goes I belive there is a workaround for you and your issue, check the forums out I belive theres a solutiln there.
    8230, axllebeer, reschp and 1 others like this.
    11-19-12 08:03 PM

I can do that with PlayOn, but I don't need a PB app, just the browser. I can also access Netflix, Hulu, (No need to pay for HuluPlus) and dozens of other channels of content.

I can see channel icons in that Plex screenshot. Does it allow for other streaming content as well?
    11-19-12 08:19 PM
    I can do that with PlayOn, but I don't need a PB app, just the browser. I can also access Netflix, Hulu, (No need to pay for HuluPlus) and dozens of other channels of content.

I can see channel icons in that Plex screenshot. Does it allow for other streaming content as well?
    Yes it does, but Plex does not require a monthly fee the app is a one time fee and thats it man, its also free on PC with no app fee

http://www.plexapp.com
    11-19-12 08:47 PM
    I wish developers would release a trial version of their software. I dont want to spend $5 to find out it does not do what I want
    David in Durham likes this.
    11-19-12 09:48 PM
    Does it do sling?
    11-19-12 09:51 PM
    Now that I know this is free as far as the PC side of things I will likely be getting this app. Sounds like it will beat PlayOn for me.
    11-19-12 09:55 PM
    Regnaston, check out the website, visit the forums, visit the chat room very friendly community willing to answer your questions or concerns and cspabilities of the product. I travel alot I like to watch my shows so I use a miniHDMI from the playbook to the hotels TV and watch all my shows located on my server at home. As far as ”sling” goes I'm not sure I understand could you embelish and I could attempt to answer.
    11-19-12 10:04 PM
    So I set up Plex it and everytime I try to add a netflix movie to the cue it says, "Sorry, but if there's a video on this page I can't find it." so what's up? Blaze specifically said netflix. Did I just waste money on a crappy app? Wouldn't be the first time.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    11-20-12 12:12 AM
    I'm installing it on my media PC and will give it a whirl and compare. If it works good, maybe I'll look into buying the app.
    11-20-12 12:14 AM
    Yay plex, proof that converting open source software to proprietary can be profitable.
    11-20-12 12:33 AM
    The server started as an open source project. Mobile apps were never open source.
    The server is still free.

I'll wait to see some favorable reviews before paying for this app though.
    I would like to hear from people that have been using the server and apps on other platforms.
    I use it on an LG Smart TV addon box and it works fine. I've got the Plex app running on an iPod Touch and it works good also.

The minimum requirements listed for the Plex Server won't cut it. Their recommended configuration should be the minimum.
    11-20-12 04:33 AM
    I wish developers would release a trial version of their software. I dont want to spend $5 to find out it does not do what I want
    You can install the Media Center software for free on a PC, which will let you get a taste of what can be accessed via the Plex client, the same stuff should be accessible on the PB app from what I know.
    11-20-12 05:13 AM
    im not paying �4.99 ($8). it is a great idea, but i dont know if it will work as a fix for lovefilm, Also who knows if this app will still work on BB10, or if there will be a better solution.

Ill wait on 10 b4 even thinking about this
    11-20-12 05:56 AM
    Go to the appstore to download:
    Pretty sure we won't find the PlayBook version there.
    11-20-12 05:57 AM
    Pretty sure we won't find the PlayBook version there.
    Uh, yeah, you will. There is a screenshot in the first post, showing the app in the App World.
    seamonky likes this.
    11-20-12 06:51 AM
    Need a trial version to try this out....
    11-20-12 09:12 AM
    Another android port. Not interested. Where are all the freaking native apps?
    daglesj and David in Durham like this.
    11-20-12 10:27 AM
93 123 ...