Flash! If you run it on a device that supports Flash, it loads all the ads and everything. If not, then much faster. My Mac on Safari hangs a lot, and it is always waiting for some stupid ad site that Crackberry links to load up tons of ads. I've asked Crackberry to make it so content first then ads so your not waiting for them, but no one cares or cash is king!
    My Droid X use to open CB in the same amount of time with flash on as well. Turning flash off it would actually load webpages quicker than my iPhone. Like I said, I have less problems with this site on my smartphones than I do with my MBP.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-03-11 at 11:26 AM.
    10-03-11 11:23 AM
    I didn't compare the PlayBook to any other tab. Just to my phone. I've never had checkerboarding on my phone, and sites like CrackBerry load fast. I guess I was just shocked that the PlayBook browser was as slow as it was, and significantly slower than my phone browser. I use full websites on my phone, which has flash enabled.

If all tabs are like that, I'll not get a tab, and I'll stick to using my phone internet. I just thought a tablet would be nicer than a phone for the larger screen.
    Chrisy they are but if 2.2 or even 6.5 seconds mean that much to you then you should just do what works for you.
    10-03-11 11:26 AM
    Well, maybe I don't need Flash after all. I really don't know. I use sites like Orbitz.com that have Flash. I'll have to check how many sites i use that need Flash to function. Trip Advisor? Amtrak?

If I didn't need Flash I'd get an ipad. I have used one of those and was happy with the browser speed!
    10-03-11 11:27 AM
    Chrisy they are but if 2.2 or even 6.5 seconds mean that much to you then you should just do what works for you.
    The difference in speed between my phone and the PlayBook was more like 6-9 seconds. That's pretty big to me. So, yeah, like I said, if the PB and/or all tabs are like that I'll stick to using my phone.

I just would like a bigger screen.
    10-03-11 11:29 AM
    Well, maybe I don't need Flash after all. I really don't know. I use sites like Orbitz.com that have Flash. I'll have to check how many sites i use that need Flash to function. Trip Advisor? Amtrak?

If I didn't need Flash I'd get an ipad. I have used one of those and was happy with the browser speed!
    Might as well just get an iPad then and keep your Android for flash. Or you can get a Kindle Fire for cheap...especially if you just want a bigger screen and a flash browser.

There is a dedicated Orbitz, trip advisor and Amtrak app on iOS.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-11 11:30 AM
    I would stick with your phone if you aren't getting any checker boarding. All the tablets I have tried have checker boarding including my playbook.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-11 11:31 AM
    Well, I appreciate all the insights and tips guys! Thanks!
    10-03-11 11:33 AM
    I believe Android tablets are the only ones that do not checkboard. I believe the checkboarding comes into play when the page isn't fully loaded, but it still allows for smooth scrolling. At least when the checkboard does appear on my device, it never lags or anything, just scrolls smoothly with the checkboard. Barely happens though if I wait the extra second for the page to load.
    10-03-11 11:37 AM
    Most sites make accommodations for the ipad, you would NOT be making a bad choice going that way, other than not getting the deep PB discounting. HOWEVER ipads hold their value also, so if you later decide to sell it and get a PB, you'll have no problem selling it! Much as I'd love to see you get a PB, an ipad2 would be a great choice also!
    Chrisy, avt123 and Rello like this.
    10-03-11 11:38 AM
    i agree with pkcable. My friend has a ipad2 and as much as we like to argue who has the better tablet, i have to admit the ipad2 provides a excellent experience. I personally love flash in my browser, and the playbook handles this with ease (trust me) but some of the apps the ipad has are just fantastic.

The Playbook suits my needs pretty well but i just dont think most in here would admit that it hasnt spent enough time in the oven to be a true competitor.

On the other hand though, you said you were looking into getting a 9900 and i'll say that a berry coupled with a Playbook has many benefits with more coming with that 2.0 software
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-11 12:06 PM
    By almost every account, the PB has the best full web browser. Islab doesn't do the full web and the droid doesn't render flash as well as the PB.

The PB browser speed is just fine and bridge browser speed is not bad at all.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-11 12:22 PM
    The difference in speed between my phone and the PlayBook was more like 6-9 seconds. That's pretty big to me. So, yeah, like I said, if the PB and/or all tabs are like that I'll stick to using my phone.

I just would like a bigger screen.
    Sounds like you should get an iPad. Because bridging is the killer feature of the PlayBook. And without a BlackBerry phone you can't bridge. For me bridging is the #1 reason I bought the device. I'll take a slightly slower browser or whatever if I can access the web for free anywhere I have phone service.
    10-03-11 12:25 PM
    I didn't compare the PlayBook to any other tab. Just to my phone
    Just a thought: have you verified that the sites you made the benches on weren't optimized for mobile devices ? *candid in the place ;-)* Be aware that PB Browser specs and headers do not re-orient automatically to a mobile optimized site ...
    10-03-11 12:35 PM
    Just a thought: have you verified that the sites you made the benches on weren't optimized for mobile devices ? *candid in the place ;-)* Be aware that PB Browser specs and headers do not re-orient automatically to a mobile optimized site ...
    Full sites, yes.
    10-03-11 02:08 PM
    Sounds like you should get an iPad. Because bridging is the killer feature of the PlayBook. And without a BlackBerry phone you can't bridge. For me bridging is the #1 reason I bought the device. I'll take a slightly slower browser or whatever if I can access the web for free anywhere I have phone service.
    Yes, I like the bridge feature alot. I'll be getting a 9930 in January 2012. So I do plan on bridging.

I've tried the 9930 browser and while it's way way better than my 9630, it still isn't as good as the browser on my Thunderbolt. I haven't seen any web sites that couldn't load on this unit. I'm impressed.

But being able to bridge without extra fees is very appealing!
    southlander likes this.
    10-03-11 02:17 PM
    Half the time I go to Best Buy or other brick stores, a bunch of the android tablets don't even power on or are missing. If they have wifi at all, consider yourself lucky. PB display doesn't even list simple instructions on how to use the basic minimize bezel gesture (if the PB powers on).

Hard to imagine why brick stores are dying... Displays and "hands on" are some of the only advantages they have in the first place...
    10-03-11 02:27 PM
    The PlayBook display at the Office Depot that I went to was actually really nice. It was a display set apart from the other tablets, and had some accessories with it. The unit wasn't turned on, but I figured that out. Lol.

It was super easy to use and I got the swipe up from bezel quickly. I'd say the PlayBook is very user friendly, and intuitive. I enjoyed how everything was set up.

Honestly, I didn't play with any other tabs because I had been contemplating buying a PlayBook for some time now.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-03-11 at 03:23 PM.
    10-03-11 02:45 PM

Android browsers, especially on the small 7 inch Android tabs can compare with the iPad as for browsing speeds. It might even be a little faster, though the speed difference is so small, you'll be hardpressed to notice it.

If you really need Flash, but don't want to compromise on browser speed, you should look into getting an Android tab, as they also have full flash.

But honestly, If you really like the iPad, don't let the lack of Flash hold you back. Pretty much all bigger websites out there have an alternative to Flash allready, and chances are, that even though you use Flash based sites now, you'll neither miss it or notice the lack of it on an iPad. The best thing you can do, would prob. be to buy an iPad and the 7inch Iconia (or just the ipad) try them both out for a week or so, and return the none that you least like and doesn't fit your needs.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Android owner and fan. Doesn't like iOS, but aware of how well built and well thought out iPads are.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-03-11 07:31 PM
    PB browser is not the best. Depends on what you're used to. I used to think it was fast until I got my bionic a few weeks ago. Checker boarding sucks, and flash implementation is better on android. I prefer flash "on demand", rather than having it either always on or always off like on the playbook. Hopefully with future updates the playbook browser will get better.
    10-04-11 04:17 AM
    The PlayBook display at the Office Depot that I went to was actually really nice. It was a display set apart from the other tablets, and had some accessories with it. The unit wasn't turned on, but I figured that out. Lol.

It was super easy to use and I got the swipe up from bezel quickly. I'd say the PlayBook is very user friendly, and intuitive. I enjoyed how everything was set up.

Honestly, I didn't play with any other tabs because I had been contemplating buying a PlayBook for some time now.
    So, which one did you buy ?
    Welcome abord !
    10-04-11 05:20 AM
    I'd buy the PB for these reasons:

Cheap at the moment.
    Bridge it to the 9900/9930.
    Screen is lovely.
    OS2 (I hate that name - bad memories!) will improve the experience soon.
    10-04-11 07:35 AM
    I'd buy the PB for these reasons:

Cheap at the moment.
    Bridge it to the 9900/9930.
    Screen is lovely.
    OS2 (I hate that name - bad memories!) will improve the experience soon.
    All good reasons imo. I've thought about giving the PB a second look considering OS2.0 will (eventually) come (and $300 seems more inline than $500). However..after seeing some of the Kindle Fire ads..the UI on that thing looks tight! And seeing's how what i'm looking for is essentially a "media" device (ie e-reader, movies etc) I think the KF would be a better option for me as they offer a much better "enviroment" for this type of thing. But unfortunately for me..Amazon isn't yet working in Canada..although they are "rolling" it out as far as I know (and it did work for me one day lol)..so until then I'll probably wait.
    10-04-11 09:09 AM
    All good reasons imo. I've thought about giving the PB a second look considering OS2.0 will (eventually) come (and $300 seems more inline than $500). However..after seeing some of the Kindle Fire ads..the UI on that thing looks tight! And seeing's how what i'm looking for is essentially a "media" device (ie e-reader, movies etc) I think the KF would be a better option for me as they offer a much better "enviroment" for this type of thing. But unfortunately for me..Amazon isn't yet working in Canada..although they are "rolling" it out as far as I know (and it did work for me one day lol)..so until then I'll probably wait.
    Blaize made a post showing that his Amazon media works in Canada. I bet you can get it to work as well.
    Rickroller likes this.
    10-04-11 09:16 AM
    Blaize made a post showing that his Amazon media works in Canada. I bet you can get it to work as well.
    Oh really? I'll have to track that down..thanks for the tip
    10-04-11 10:22 AM
    ii just got my 32gb Touchpad last night and I have to admit that the Touchpad's browser seems a lot quicker then the PB's. Even the wife notice it was faster.

Hopefully OS 2 will speed things up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-11 12:46 PM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD