I think it is ready. The discounted pricing on the playbook ends this month (until the next sale of course) but that is what gives me the impression it's ready. This current sale isn't ending because they are running low on stock given the fact that RIMM admitted right around Christmas that the actual sales were 37,000 for the quarter; not the "we put out over 150,000 into the market" spin as first reported. Which, by the way, is rather sobering. Regardless, and back to the topic: My hope is that they release 2.0 immediately after the online sale ends and the new CEO provides his first "launch" announcement. Where the playbook goes from there is now getting down to how many they sell after update and not how many are currently in use.
    01-25-12 09:02 AM
    If you honestly knew the product would be in the condition it was was at release ahead of time AND you were good with it, I would hazard the guess you are in the very very small minority. .5%? .1%? Less? I doubt hardly anybody thought the bridge browser would crash if you tried to log into an account (like crackberry) using the playbook at launch.

Do you really mean to imply the the product you received when you purchased it could never have been updated and you would be satisfied? That if you were like some of us and bought on April 19 and had blackberry device with no bbm at all and it were left that way that the device was complete and finished as intended?

I think you are being dishonest.
    Actually...I think YOU just like to complain.
    01-25-12 09:03 AM
    well i bought my playbook under the expectation of an os2 upgrade in feb, and that it will fix a lot of stuff. the salespeople mentioned that to me and a whole lot of others.

that some folks are ok with what they got on the sale date, that rim owes them nothing and they like getting the shaft is better left unsaid... they are either with us or against us.
    If you read the limited warranty, you will see it covers only defective hardware and workmanship, not software. That is all RIM owes anyone who bought a Playbook. If the Playbook didn't perform as advertised that would be covered by consumer laws, at least in the US. I don't see RIM giving people the shaft! I got exactly what I paid for and it is working fine.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-25-12 09:40 AM
    The key word is "expectations". "Get it in writing" and "read the fine print" apply here! RIM owes no more or no less than what is in the contract (warranty).
    Absolutely correct. Similarly their reputation is not ensconced in any contract language but depends on goodwill and performing in a reliable manner. In that some have already judged them. Any everyone can be the judge of how they are judged.
    djnshores likes this.
    01-25-12 09:46 AM
    I agree. i bought my playbook because I like what it does and it works great with my 9860. I'm getting a work Curve this week and the PB will go great with that as I prefer touch screens. The curve wasn't my choice, it's the only one work offers.

You have every right to your opinion of how the PB does or doesn't meet your expectations from RIM, as do the rest of us.

My PB works. The apps work. The wi-fi and bridge always works.
    I did say something, previously, to the effect that I will enjoy the update but it has nothing to do with PIM. I'm more interested in some of the other new features that were never promised.

So what, I don't share your opinion. Am I supposed to be unsatisfied and think RIM owes me more simply because you say so? No, I don't think so.
    01-25-12 10:12 AM
    Like most have said, just stick to the release date.
    Don't do it early because that will just be spun as "No reliability with dates."

Take a page for the "tech messiah at the moment". Be secretive, reveal nothing, only talk when ready on your terms.
    djnshores and CommanderElvis like this.
    01-25-12 12:24 PM
    Like most have said, just stick to the release date.
    Don't do it early because that will just be spun as "No reliability with dates."

Take a page for the "tech messiah at the moment". Be secretive, reveal nothing, only talk when ready on your terms.
    I started this thread as a good natured comment. Since then I have gotten a number of flames which I don't feel I deserve. I have not had my Playbook long enough to the a fanboy of Blackberry products. I like mine, it works fine, and I am willing to wait a little longer for the upgrade which should add value to the product. I would be pleased if OS 2.0 was released a little early but at this stage it is not critical. I just want it done right!

Houshinto has a valid point. Early, or on time is fine; just don't be late again.

Just remember that RIM stock lost 75% of its value last year and continued to decline in price after the new CEO was announced. That is not the kind of reputation you want to have when you are trying to sell a premium priced product.
    01-25-12 12:48 PM
    Dear Mr. Heins,

Please release OS 2.0 early to your loyal Playbook fans! Give us something to smile about for a change! And RIM could certainly use the positive PR.
    I'd rather wait until the update is fully ready.

And I really believe that patience should be banned as an evil in our lives.
    01-25-12 12:51 PM
    Very well-worded point. A lot of people tend to forget, too that playbooks arent free devices that are being handed out to everybody with a hand out. We paid for them.... and the consumer has a right to demand what he wants, or, at least expect what he was told he was getting.

If a customer in Mcdonalds paid for a full meal and all the restaraunt owner offers is the french fries and a list of reasons why the burger and soda werent included, should the customer just shut up and take the loss and understand "the cooks are working very hard", especially when burger king right down the road has the full menu available? No, Mcdonald's has failed on their end of the business agreement, and competition is the name of the game. Its not acceptable to tell the customer who paid money for the product/service "dont judge the cooks until you walked a mile in their shoes". That proverb applies to the general everyday person that owes you nothing and you have no right to judge him. If you employ him, on the other hand...

Incidentally, I picked Mcdonald's and Burgerking's names at random. Dont read anything into that, I could have just as easily swapped the names.
    I believe the "walk a mile in their shoes" comment was about the comments on 3 weeks not meaning much. So in that case it does apply.

As far as the buying a meal thing goes. I don't know what was said during the launch but I bought mine in December so I know when i was told the rest of my meal was coming and by buying the Playbook I agreed to wait.

James
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-25-12 01:08 PM
    I am happy enough right now with my Playbook bridged to my 9930 that if there was never an update, I would continue happily to use it. I even bought a 64 gb because I was rapidly running out of space on my 16 gb. With that being said, I am looking forward to 2.0 and the improvements it will bring---for me it will be the icing on a very good cake! What I do NOT want to see, however, is an upgrade that causes more problems than it is worth. So, I am content to wait for another 3 or 4 weeks, let everyone else D/L it and see what happens. I am looking forward to some of the new stuff that is coming, but I would still be using this PB daily with or without the upgrades.
    01-25-12 01:17 PM
    RIM doesn't do "early"
    lol, that word isn't even in their vocabulary.
    01-25-12 01:25 PM
    Yes. I know RIM has no legal responsibility but they have some moral responsibility imho.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
    01-25-12 03:23 PM
    EVERYBODY

WHAT DO WE WANT?
    OS2

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
    WE WANT IT NOW!

OK I feel better, anyone else?

I'll be happy with on time and hope it has only small minor bugs that can be patched.
    01-25-12 03:31 PM
    EVERYBODY

WHAT DO WE WANT?
    OS2

WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
    WE WANT IT NOW!

OK I feel better, anyone else?

I'll be happy with on time and hope it has only small minor bugs that can be patched.
    Here you go:
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-25-12 04:17 PM
    I think RIM has pretty much OS2 ready to go and now RIM is just tweaking OS [in particular Android Player] to make it P.E.R.F.E.C.T

I hope RIM will improve current browser. I find Playbook compatibility with some websites "questionable" also it is annoying that there is no option to set up cache so it is not necessary to reload pages every single time. Lets hope we will get some quality browser on Playbook from 3rd party such as Opera.
    01-25-12 04:22 PM
    I don't want them to rush it out unfinished, but I don't want them sitting on a finished product for some arbitrary date. I understand that there are other factors involved, this isn't just your run-of-the-mill OS update.

What I would REALLY like to see, since the new CEO already showed an awareness of the Crackberry Nation, would be for one of their alleged reps that interacts with this forum to offer to collect CB members PB PINs and push OS2 out a day or two before the masses get it. Allowing us a headstart would be a great way for us to be able to help new people as it comes out. Plus, it would be a pretty cheap way of thanking us for our support. Just a thought...
    01-25-12 05:01 PM
    It's long overdue. Hope they release it earlier. When it's ready.
    01-25-12 05:20 PM
    I think RIM has pretty much OS2 ready to go and now RIM is just tweaking OS [in particular Android Player] to make it P.E.R.F.E.C.T

I hope RIM will improve current browser. I find Playbook compatibility with some websites "questionable" also it is annoying that there is no option to set up cache so it is not necessary to reload pages every single time. Lets hope we will get some quality browser on Playbook from 3rd party such as Opera.
    I have to say, the browser in its current form in the preview (.7111) is pretty awesome.
    01-25-12 05:47 PM
    I hope they keep it another month if that what it takes to get it right.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-25-12 05:53 PM
    Major R&D, generally speaking, doesn't release early. No amount of begging on an internet forum can change that fact.

28 yrs of designing bleeding edge hardware. Have appreciation of the hundreds of things that can go wrong to blow a schedule and the hundreds of people who are all lined up on a projected schedule release. You don't have someone just pick up a phone and have all those people alter their lives because the crackberry crowd is getting antsy.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-25-12 06:02 PM
    Dear Mr. Heins,

Please release OS 2.0 early to your loyal Playbook fans! Give us something to smile about for a change! And RIM could certainly use the positive PR.
    i wish! i would have loved to try out the beta but being technically DEclined i didn't wanna risk messing anything up. i think i mostly want it for some emulators, but then that would take time away from my comic book reading. i will settle for it being "on time"
    but heres hoping!
    01-25-12 06:11 PM
    That would apply if you walked into the retail store and ordered a PB and OS 2 update. But that's not what happened. We all purchased them with a 1.0 OS loaded on.

Sure, they promised. And yes, they missed the deadline. But it wasn't in your contract, is all I'm saying...
    I guess lots of BB fans bought PB based on RIMM promises to have these and
    those on time, but surely all those are not in contract, so you bought
    on your own risk by trusting RIMM.
    However when RIMM said that loud on the street, then those words would act as
    "virtual contract" and surely there will be consequence by not delivering it.
    RIMM already get this punishment for this by having their stock jump down the roof.
    Now the new CEO steps up and do another promises to deliver these and those
    on time .... We will see how RIMM execute another of this contract.
    01-25-12 07:04 PM
    I have to say, the browser in its current form in the preview (.7111) is pretty awesome.
    Can you SEARCH in a webpage in the Browser. Say I want to find "Thunderbuck" on this page after I enter this text!
    01-25-12 07:20 PM
    One thing they could do to get it out the door a bit early but still cover all their bases is to update the 'developer beta' to the current full working version of 2.0.

That would put the software in the hands of any of us nerds here who want it and still cover their bases in terms of bad press related to releasing a half-baked OS.

They'd also get 3 weeks of beta testing the full version from a wider audience.
    01-25-12 07:25 PM
    ... the fact that RIMM admitted right around Christmas that the actual sales were 37,000 for the quarter; not the "we put out over 150,000 into the market" spin as first reported.
    Do you have a reference or link for your 37,000 PB sales figure? I have not seen it anywhere else nor have I been able to find any online reference to this so-called "fact." The figure of PlayBook sell-out (i.e. retail sales) >150,000 came from RIM execs in the Q&A session after the last quarterly report.

In any case, the following link shows a jump of 60,000 PlayBook FaceBook app users right after Christimas. Nearly 500,000 people used the PlayBook FaceBook app sometime during the last month.
    | Facebook for BlackBerry� PlayBook
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 01-26-12 at 05:23 AM.
    01-26-12 04:28 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD