05-17-13 11:25 PM
34 12
tools
    I made the plunge today and got the Netgear WNDRMAC. Installation was straightforward. I used the basic settings (Advanced settings later). Speed increase is noticeable compared to the library wi-fi.

Can some user tell me what Netgear means when they ask me for a PIN number when I try to log in using WPA2? Do they mean my PB PIN number? Instead I logged in unsecured, using the default password supplied by Netgear
    05-17-13 06:28 PM
    I have a D-Link 825n and with firmware 2.09NA (Latest as of April 22, 2013) I have eradicated my PlayBook connection problems. It doesn't need rebooting all the time and it has very good coverage. I can provide you with screenshots of my settings if you'd like and you can set it up to match, now that I have been through the experience, I know it inside out. It is a dual band N router with a port to share USB devices like a printer or external hard drive or USB Key too.

This router can be had for between $55-75 USD. You can even put Tomato and DDWRT firmware on it if you wish. If you had to, you could easily put on higher gain antennas. It has 2dB ones on it by default.
    05-17-13 06:44 PM
    I made the plunge today and got the Netgear WNDRMAC. Installation was straightforward. I used the basic settings (Advanced settings later). Speed increase is noticeable compared to the library wi-fi.

Can some user tell me what Netgear means when they ask me for a PIN number when I try to log in using WPA2? Do they mean my PB PIN number? Instead I logged in unsecured, using the default password supplied by Netgear
    Read this from Wikipedia :Wi-Fi Protected Setup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is Wi-Fi Protected Setup. It makes setup life for devices much easier. However it can open a security issue too. It is recommended to shut it off actually within the settings and setup your network with a strong WPA2 pass phrase (letters and numbers, uppercase and lowercase with punctuation - write it down somewhere safe).
    05-17-13 06:46 PM
    I'm confused every time I hear about router talk. I got it years ago but these days don't all Internet providers give you a modem that is a router? That's what I have and I've never had an issue connecting any device. Got a mac, a pc laptop, a pb, a 9700 and a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 07:00 PM
    Sorry but I don't think my question has been answered relative to the equipment I am using. I know all about WPA2. Question is this when using the WNDRMAC: when using WPA2 Netgear asks for a PIN number; is that the PB PIN number. Netgear users, where are you?
    05-17-13 07:05 PM
    We need to know if you are using Wifi Protected Setup (WPS) per chaosdivine. This is not brand/model specific and any router can do this. It is a way of connecting the PB (or any WPS capable device) to your network. For the PB, see here:
    Connect to a Wi-Fi network - User Guide - BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - 2.0

For your router, see p18 of your manual:
    http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...UM_12Aug11.pdf

If we are talking about a "PIN" and not the WPA2 encryption code, which is usually referred to as a key, password, or pass phrase. To bypass all this, just connect it manually. If this is totally offbase, you need to explain the problem better, e.g. where/when in the setup is a PIN being asked for?
    05-17-13 07:32 PM
    Sorry but I don't think my question has been answered relative to the equipment I am using. I know all about WPA2. Question is this when using the WNDRMAC: when using WPA2 Netgear asks for a PIN number; is that the PB PIN number. Netgear users, where are you?
    It would the routers PIN which you can find on the bottom or in the setup page.
    05-17-13 08:00 PM
    It would the routers PIN which you can find on the bottom or in the setup page.
    Assume you have downloaded manuals.

http://support.netgear.com/product/WNDRMACv1

Should find answers there. You can access the setup page if you log on as administrator.
    05-17-13 10:36 PM
    The WPS method of setup usually requires pushing a button on the router. You may have pressed it inadvertently. If all else fails you can reboot the router by disconnecting all connections then rebooting by first plugging in the router, waiting until it gets started up then plugging in computer.
    05-17-13 11:25 PM
34 12