I am tired of going to the local library or have to pay for a cup of latte at Starbucks to use the wi-fi capability, so can someone recommend a good wi-fi router for the Playbook? Must have, but not limited to, the following features:

1. Ease of installation with good documentation available.
    2. Must be dual band.
    3. Must have at least one port for USB.
    4. Must be under $100.

I have researched many brands and user comments, and it seems each brand has its legion of supporters as well as detractors.
    05-05-13 05:20 PM
    What type of internet service do you have at home?DSL,cable etc.
    05-05-13 05:42 PM
    I am using a NEATGEAR N750 dual band 2.4GHZ-5GHZ router that I purchased from Radio Shack. It works great haven't had a problem with the playbook not connecting to the WiFi like my old router. We are running 2 PlayBooks, 2 IPads, 2 laptops and a printer with not problems. This router has 5 USB ports. Can't remember the prices but know it was over $100.00. I think that it was around $139.00.
    05-05-13 05:44 PM
    I am using a NEATGEAR N750 dual band 2.4GHZ-5GHZ router that I purchased from Radio Shack. It works great haven't had a problem with the playbook not connecting to the WiFi like my old router. We are running 2 PlayBooks, 2 IPads, 2 laptops and a printer with not problems. This router has 5 USB ports. Can't remember the prices but know it was over $100.00. I think that it was around $139.00.
    Yep,got the same one on sale for 112.50 out the door.
    dphjeff likes this.
    05-05-13 05:49 PM
    What type of internet service do you have at home?DSL,cable etc.
    _______

I have DSL internet service.
    05-05-13 06:19 PM
    How much area do you want to cover and what speed internet does your DSL give you. What do you have on your DSL network now? Why do you need/want a dual band router? I am using a ZyXel MWR-102 travel router which only operates on the 2.4 band but can support a couple of laptops and three tablets. It costs now about $25 at Amazon. But then I am using Comcast Cable. If you have a laptop runniinh windows7 or 8 you could probably download Connectify which gives you a wireless router by using your wifi in your commputer to transmit. Incidentally Amazon has manufacture refurbished N750 routers for about $65. If you consider buying a Netgear model you could visit their website to get more informatio or maybe even download manual.
    05-05-13 06:46 PM
    Perhaps you have already one so but you might be interested in visiting the Netgear site.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNDR4300.aspx
    05-05-13 07:18 PM
    My suggestion is one of the Apple routers. I have been using a couple of their Extreme routers since the Bold 9000. They are also easy to setup and easy to extend the network using an Airport Express.

The Extreme routers also have a gigabit switch in them for wired connections. Even though you may only have 10-20mbps internet into your home, you would be amazed how much quicker Web pages load when the computer is directly wired to the router versus wifi.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 09:01 PM
    I have the even more expensive N900, but I'm sure you can get the N600 for under $100.
    05-05-13 10:29 PM
    _______

I have DSL internet service.
    _____

More clarification to this: DSL with 20 Mbit/sec. download speed. N750 specs look very good. If I don't need blazing 5 Ghz speed dual option since I am not likely to view Netflix, etc on my computer, will the N600 suffice?
    05-06-13 11:45 AM
    I have a netgear wndr 3700 I think. Never am issue.
    05-06-13 11:56 AM
    I have a netgear wndr 3700 I think. Never am issue.
    This is in the Netgear 600 series with USB share port? Do you use the USB much and does it work with the Playbook?
    05-06-13 12:31 PM
    It's a modem/router, which some frown upon, but I've had a great experience so far with the TP-Link W8961ND. It's a budget-friendly set up with a lot of options, and I find the wi-fi signal is great. So far very reliable and has given a good consistent performance.
    05-06-13 12:37 PM
    This is in the Netgear 600 series with USB share port? Do you use the USB much and does it work with the Playbook?
    I've never used the usb port on it so I'm not any help.
    05-06-13 12:47 PM
    Netgeear N600 looks more and more in my price range/performance. I can wait until July 4. Maybe there will be some price breaks. After all, this router has been in the market for almost 3 years.
    05-06-13 01:33 PM
    Since OP on another forum has indicated use of Apple Mac computer might also be interested in looking at Netgear WNDRMAC.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNDRMA...bUvbUpU8435300
    05-06-13 04:27 PM
    Interesting that the WNDRMAC from Netgear has much similar features to the N600. My iMac is a desktop, so no router needed, but I would use the router for the Playbook. So should it work with the PB?
    05-07-13 12:54 AM
    My suggestion is one of the Apple routers. I have been using a couple of their Extreme routers since the Bold 9000. They are also easy to setup and easy to extend the network using an Airport Express.

The Extreme routers also have a gigabit switch in them for wired connections. Even though you may only have 10-20mbps internet into your home, you would be amazed how much quicker Web pages load when the computer is directly wired to the router versus wifi.

Posted via CB10
    My son gave up on his Apple router and bought the Netgear. Asus routers are also very highly rated.
    05-07-13 09:04 AM
    Why does everyone use Netgear? I use a linksys router at home and it works great. It's an older E3000, but it works just fine. There are newer models and you can probably find it on sale for under $100. I wanted to get an Asus Dark Knight router (RT-N66U), but was too much money for me at the time.
    Out of curiosity, why do you need the USB port? Printer, or do you plan to hook up a USB drive for use as a NAS? If the latter, routers generally don't have great performance in this area. For use as a network printer attachment, most routers with that kind of connection will serve your purpose. My printer has both USB and Network capability, so for a while I was just using a network cable to hook things up.
    05-07-13 10:52 AM
    +1 for the Airport Extreme. My PB connects flawlessly, as do computers and mobile devices from several platforms. Never had connection issues with Apple routers at home or at work.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 11:52 AM
    Maybe price would be one factor in choosing between the Apple Extreme or even the Apple Express router and another brand. The Netgear Wndrmac which seems to be basically the N600 with some special Mac oriented features is advertised on Amazon USA) within OP's price range since a listing at $71 is there. It should provide the desired dual band signals required to hook up any tablet and have enough strength to reach most places in a medium sized house. Disclaimer: I don't have this unit myself- just calling attention to it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...bUvbUpU8439792
    Last edited by jpash549; 05-07-13 at 05:52 PM.
    05-07-13 02:10 PM
    Maybe price would be one factor in choosing between the Apple Extreme or even the Apple Express router and another brand. The Netgear Wndrmac which seems to be basically the N600 with some special Mac oriented features is advertised on Amazon USA) within OP's price range since a listing at $71 is there. It should provide the desired dual band signals required to hook up any tablet and have enough strength to reach most places in a medium sized house. Disclaimer: I don't have this unit myself- just calling attention to it.

Amazon.com: Netgear wndrmac
    _______

Thanks for your response, which addressed specifically the topic. I checked Amazon and the N600 is on sale for $52, after a $10 rebate.
    Yellowhammer, I don't doubt that the Apple Extreme is a good router but Apple products are so expensive. What is it, about $189? As I wrote, I only need the N600 for the Playbook, the iMac is a desktop and I am satisfied with its performance with DSL after adding another 8 Gb of RAM.
    05-08-13 12:29 AM
    NEATGEAR routers are very Apple friendly. My friend bought the WNDR3700 and uses his iPhone and iPad as well an iMac, HP laptop and my BB BOLD 9930 + playbook connect perfectly to it every time. He paid under $100 for it and could not be happier.
    05-08-13 06:24 AM
    I am tired of going to the local library or have to pay for a cup of latte at Starbucks to use the wi-fi capability, so can someone recommend a good wi-fi router for the Playbook? Must have, but not limited to, the following features:

1. Ease of installation with good documentation available.
    2. Must be dual band.
    3. Must have at least one port for USB.
    4. Must be under $100.

I have researched many brands and user comments, and it seems each brand has its legion of supporters as well as detractors.
    TP_Link W8960N approx. $60. Been using almost 2 years. Multiple devices including 2 playbooks and ipod touch ... Rarely any issues.
    05-08-13 06:42 AM
    N600 router with 5 laptops and 5 phones and 2 tablets all connected all of the time - have changed the default channel to something else to remove any conflicts (everyone on channel 1 lol) and after 18 months of use, not a dropped signal anywhere in the house on any machine - and believe me, with 5 kids in the house, the internet gets used ......
    05-08-13 12:03 PM
34 12