I am having a hard time with my pb, it just came yesterday, and when it did, it functioned great, I browsed the web and have tried the app world.. but, after updating the os to 1.0.8.4985 everything seemed too messed up. Its wifi bar is full yet tt load sites for about a minute then stops after that, I had to switch on and off its wifi for it to function but it still does the same. What should I do? And I am quite skeptical with its battery life, I only used it for an hour with nothing much to do and the battery became 74%, I though it has a 7 hour battery life? I'm getting nervous actually, my Dad bought this abroad so I wont be able to ask for a replacement, somebody please help me.
    Last edited by camillexd; 12-03-11 at 06:54 PM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-03-11 06:35 PM
    I am having a hard time with my pb, it just came yesterday, and when it did, it functioned great, I browsed the web and have tried the app world.. but, after updating the os to 1.0.8.4985 everything seemed too ****ed up. Its wifi bar is full yet tt load sites for about a minute then stops after that, I had to switch on and off its wifi for it to function but it still does the same. What should I do? And I am quite skeptical with its battery life, I only used it for an hour with nothing much to do and the battery became 74%, I though it has a 7 hour battery life? I'm getting nervous actually, my Dad bought this abroad so I wont be able to ask for a replacement, somebody please help me.
    Just do a hard reset and it hopefully will address the problems.
    Hard reset= hold down the power, volume up and down simultaneously until the PB shuts down, 10 seconds.
    Restart and give everything a try again.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-03-11 06:42 PM
    Switch your home wifi network to G. The new update seems to be having trouble with N.
    12-03-11 06:45 PM
    You said a bad word, please fix it.
    If the browser hangs, one trick that may work is to clear the privacy settings and security settings. With the browser open, swipe down from the top bezel to expose the browser options gear, tap the gear, tap privacy & security scroll to the bottom of that page and tap clear all. Then hit the back button. You may need to try reloading the page. There are a number of ways to improve the battery life, starting with a screen brightness adjustment. I usually turn mine down below 50%. And be sure to read the newbie tips and tricks thread at the top of the list in the playbook forum.
    kbz1960 and jafobabe like this.
    12-03-11 06:49 PM
    Please don't quote the OP when your the first reply. Those of that use the mobile site often have to scroll a lot.
    12-03-11 06:54 PM
    Hard reset= hold down the power, volume up and down simultaneously until the PB shuts down, 10 seconds.
    I've tried this and still doesn't work for me
    12-03-11 06:54 PM
    Yep, I had to do the same thing when the little upgrade was done.
    Now it works like a banshee!
    12-03-11 06:55 PM
    Switch your home wifi network to G. The new update seems to be having trouble with N.
    How do I do that?
    12-03-11 06:56 PM
    check out the tips and tricks thread. click below my signature..
    12-03-11 06:57 PM
    You said a bad word, please fix it.
    If the browser hangs, one trick that may work is to clear the privacy settings and security settings. With the browser open, swipe down from the top bezel to expose the browser options gear, tap the gear, tap privacy & security scroll to the bottom of that page and tap clear all. Then hit the back button. You may need to try reloading the page. There are a number of ways to improve the battery life, starting with a screen brightness adjustment. I usually turn mine down below 50%. And be sure to read the newbie tips and tricks thread at the top of the list in the playbook forum.
    Oops, sorry for the bad word, I've edited it. Hehe. I did what you instructed, but unfortunately, it still doesn't fix my problem.
    12-03-11 06:58 PM
    Did you switch your router to 802.11G only instead of 802.11N or 802.11G/N? There seems to be a bug in the WiFi software with the latest update.
    12-03-11 06:58 PM
    As blackstormrising said when my browser hangs I clear all and it seems to work again. For some reason that crashes my browser about 90% of the time but it works after. Does everything else that uses internet function correctly?
    12-03-11 07:00 PM
    Since you just got it I imagine you don't have much on it yet? Even so backup what you can and I would do a what is referred to as a debrick.

Start desktop manager on your computer, have the playbook on and plug it in the usb port. After dm recognizes it tap the battery icon and choose restart. DM will popup a message with a choices, choose update and let it finish.

Edit: It can take a long time to finish just so you know.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-03-11 at 07:07 PM. Reason: time
    12-03-11 07:06 PM
    Did you switch your router to 802.11G only instead of 802.11N or 802.11G/N? There seems to be a bug in the WiFi software with the latest update.
    How do I switch it?
    12-03-11 07:09 PM
    Since you just got it I imagine you don't have much on it yet? Even so backup what you can and I would do a what is referred to as a debrick.

Start desktop manager on your computer, have the playbook on and plug it in the usb port. After dm recognizes it tap the battery icon and choose restart. DM will popup a message with a choices, choose update and let it finish.

Edit: It can take a long time to finish just so you know.
    Hope this one will work. How long will it take to finish?
    12-03-11 07:14 PM
    How do I switch it?
    First, check your wifi status page on the playbook. Tap gear icon, select wifi on the left panel and then tap the ? mark icon... next to diagnostic information select wi-fi information from the drop down menu, scroll to the bottom and see if it says network type: 802.11g.
    12-03-11 07:19 PM
    First, check your wifi status page on the playbook. Tap gear icon, select wifi on the left panel and then tap the ? mark icon... next to diagnostic information select wi-fi information from the drop down menu, scroll to the bottom and see if it says network type: 802.11g.
    I mean, how will I switch the one on my router?
    john9810 likes this.
    12-03-11 07:31 PM
    How do I switch it?
    You have to use your router's software on your computer that you used to install the router, and plug the router into the computer as you probably can't do it over wifi.

This really fixed the problem for me, once I switched the router to g only, I haven't lost a connection in three days.

Tom
    12-03-11 07:36 PM
    I mean, how will I switch the one on my router?
    My point was that you may not need to switch it if it is currently set to g.
    12-03-11 08:17 PM
    Depends on your connection and how busy the server is. First time I ever did it took forever and I mean forever because I happened to do on the same day an update was released.

The second time I did, it took around an hour plus if I remember right.

Edit: If you haven't changed your router to g only I would try that first. You can google your brand router for the ip address it uses and type that in your browser address bar on your pc, if you or someone else hasn't changed the user name and password you can find the defaults for that also on the brands page.

As for your question on battery life I will be bridged all day and during an 8 hour period I probably surf a good half hour every hour and at the end of the 8 hours I will have around 20% battery life left.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-03-11 at 08:25 PM. Reason: more info
    12-03-11 08:19 PM

Edit: If you haven't changed your router to g only I would try that first. You can google your brand router for the ip address it uses and type that in your browser address bar on your pc, if you or someone else hasn't changed the user name and password you can find the defaults for that also on the brands page.

As for your question on battery life I will be bridged all day and during an 8 hour period I probably surf a good half hour every hour and at the end of the 8 hours I will have around 20% battery life left.
    That worked for me! Thank you! I guess I just needed a thorough instruction. Thank you, everyone! All of you were a great help.
    12-03-11 08:41 PM
    That worked for me! Thank you! I guess I just needed a thorough instruction. Thank you, everyone! All of you were a great help.
    Great, now back to enjoying your new toy/tool!
    12-03-11 08:45 PM
    Breaking silence to appreciate the success stories and to thank camillexd for giving a great example of how to get help, rather than coming in swinging at playbook and offending everyone... difference shown here between a true newbie seeking help and a faux newbie seeking to bash.

Special thanks for a sincere cry for help in the title instead of something inflammatory - see the difference it makes? Happy thread, happy ending. Mods please ask people to rethink their titles and try again. It will save you work.

Welcome to Crackberry! Enjoy the book.

Info here has been "wikied up" to the tips and tricks for newbies sticky under wifi issues. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-04-11 at 01:07 AM.
    12-04-11 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD