Alot of threads on this board consist of comments like... "I'm looking forward to Feb. we're getting Netflix" or "Kindle app better come with the OS2 upgrade"...... are you serious?!

Playbook OS2/BB10 is being created by RIM. You should only expect what RIM is directly responsible for delivering in an OS update! Ie: Improved web browser, full bluetooth integration, video store, full blackberry-like typing experience, android app player, native PIM, enhanced bridge features (sms bridged?), etc... Any other expectations dealing with specific apps does not fall on RIM's shoulders. It does not!

Now, whats gonna happen is in Feb. when this thing drops, and all the wonderful features I just mentioned are added, somebody is gonna run on here and cry and whine about some app not being in app world that they just must have and declare OS2 a complete failure because of it. Watch!

If your must have app is not in App World in Feb. here's what you do:

1. call the developer and give them a verbal arse kicking. Be just as passionate as you pretend to be in these forums.

2. don't post your whining crapola in this forum as we are conversing about the added features and helping folks out. Take a Crackberry leave of absense. LOL

It really effects the overall climate and direction of each thread, when you have to sift through the crap to get to good information.

Don't put it in your head that in Feb. This OS's entire life rests in the hands of three developers. The apps will come and the ecosystem will mature. Lets get the OS where it needs to be first. That should be the focus.
    12-30-11 12:26 PM
    wow im returning my playbook.. i thought OS2 was the saving grace......................
    12-30-11 12:31 PM
    I agree with what your saying, individual apps such as kindle, netflix etc are down to the individual companies to develop for each platform. I think and hope that one of the main aims and objectives for rim will be to have an android player that allows android apps to run as any app from the bb app world would work on the playbook, multitasking etc and integration into the os would be great, from a general consumers point of view anyway. I don't have a full understanding behind the economics of apps but can imagine if all android apps worked on the playbook like an app from the bb app world then it wouldn't provided much interest for devs to develop for qnx. I'm sure this would have an impact on rims profits in some way though.

Is this a likely outcome for 2.0? im still in early days of my playbook experience just over a day! and really like the os other then the lack of apps. Do you think the android player will allow us to have a full pick of the apps available to android users? I'd be more then happy to repurchase apps I already have bought on android as long as they are at the same price or perhaps a slight increase so that rim get a bit of profit.

I don't have a bb phone but im sure the bridge features are going to be a top priority as well as the native features and android player for 2.0 or future updates.
    12-30-11 01:07 PM
    What is making me so sad is that RIM is not going to participate in CES or MWC. Therefore, we can't expect anything. Let's just hope for the best.
    Last edited by khalmarri; 12-30-11 at 01:29 PM.
    12-30-11 01:21 PM
    so what if rim isn't participating in a trade show. they do enough of them on their own.

microsoft is bowing out of ces after this year. does that mean they are a dead company too? apple isn't doing ces. they don't do macworld. are they dead too?

i did enough trade shows when i was in information technology to know they were boring as and all i came back with were coupons for free trial software, tons more junk mail in the office, and a stack of extra work to take care of after the shows.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-31-11 06:03 AM
    I am pretty happy the way the PB is right now. Any improvement will just be a nice surprise.
    I imagine what this forum will be for several weeks after the OS2 release. I expect all the professional trolls will be back with a new set of instructions. It will be boring.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-31-11 06:36 AM
    What is making me so sad is that RIM is not going to participate in CES or MWC. Therefore, we can't expect anything. Let's just hope for the best.
    Care to post your proof this..
    12-31-11 07:05 AM
    People will complain regardless. It's a shame but that is to be expected. Since the launch of the playbook the main gripe has been about apps not performance. It really doesn't matter what apps RIM includes in OS2. There will always be one it doesn't have that people will whine about. For myself I'm looking for improved functionality for the docs to go suite and adobe pdf features. if RIM would throw in a cross platform application for video chat, that would be awesome. Finally if I could ever use my playbook as a bluetooth speaker phone and bridge blackberry traffic that would be phenomenal. Yeah, I know those may be pipe dreams but RIM has many untapped possibilities with the playbook and blackberry.
    Murados likes this.
    12-31-11 09:03 AM
    My advice, as far as having "real expectations", is to realize tbat the new OS will not have "everything that the playbook is missing". There are just too many features for them to have ready within two months.

I would suggest they are working on the top few features most want implemented (rememberthe poll recently rim issued?)... plus a whole slew of bug fixes of course.

CB Kevin highly suggested in the last podcast that rim has run into a massive roadblock involving the noc... and it makes sense given the features that are still non-existant.
    12-31-11 09:57 AM
    so what if rim isn't participating in a trade show. they do enough of them on their own.

microsoft is bowing out of ces after this year. does that mean they are a dead company too? apple isn't doing ces. they don't do macworld. are they dead too?

i did enough trade shows when i was in information technology to know they were boring as and all i came back with were coupons for free trial software, tons more junk mail in the office, and a stack of extra work to take care of after the shows.
    I think that fact was pointed out to say that RIM won't announcing anything soon so he or she has nothing to look forward to.

I'm sure they weren't suggesting that every company that doesn't attend the trade show is in the same financial position RIM is in.
    12-31-11 10:03 AM
    Alot of threads on this board consist of comments like... "I'm looking forward to Feb. we're getting Netflix" or "Kindle app better come with the OS2 upgrade"...... are you serious?!

Playbook OS2/BB10 is being created by RIM. You should only expect what RIM is directly responsible for delivering in an OS update! Ie: Improved web browser, full bluetooth integration, video store, full blackberry-like typing experience, android app player, native PIM, enhanced bridge features (sms bridged?), etc... Any other expectations dealing with specific apps does not fall on RIM's shoulders. It does not!

Now, whats gonna happen is in Feb. when this thing drops, and all the wonderful features I just mentioned are added, somebody is gonna run on here and cry and whine about some app not being in app world that they just must have and declare OS2 a complete failure because of it. Watch!

1. call the developer and give them a verbal arse kicking. Be just as passionate as you pretend to be in these forums.

2. don't post your whining crapola in this forum as we are conversing about the added features and helping folks out. Take a Crackberry leave of absense. LOL

It really effects the overall climate and direction of each thread, when you have to sift through the crap to get to good information.

Don't put it in your head that in Feb. This OS's entire life rests in the hands of three developers. The apps will come and the ecosystem will mature. Lets get the OS where it needs to be first. That should be the focus.
    You misunderstood. A lot of people on here think the android player will bring those apps, not that os2 will somehow create native apps by developers
    12-31-11 10:04 AM

this is where I am confused. OS 2 is suppose to include an Android player, right? So won't the Android Kindle, Netflix, etc then work on the PB? Or, even though, the PB can run Android, will the apps have to be 'ported' to the PB Android? And if so, how hard will that be?
    12-31-11 10:08 AM
    @koolwater: Like like like!!
    12-31-11 10:14 AM
    You misunderstood. A lot of people on here think the android player will bring those apps, not that os2 will somehow create native apps by developers
    If I were RIM I would (already!) be spinning like crazy on how the Playbook with OS2 is sooooo awesome that it can run both native apps AND Android apps... the best of both worlds in the same handy 7" tablet. That concept could be sold in such a positive way as a unique selling point for Playbook!

Sadly, based on past experience, I doubt they will do that.

RIM and Marketing - they go together like roast beef and custard!
    12-31-11 10:19 AM
    If I were RIM I would (already!) be spinning like crazy on how the Playbook with OS2 is sooooo awesome that it can run both native apps AND Android apps... the best of both worlds in the same handy 7" tablet. That concept could be sold in such a positive way as a unique selling point for Playbook!

Sadly, based on past experience, I doubt they will do that.

RIM and Marketing - they go together like roast beef and custard!
    Don't the French call that Quiche?
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-31-11 10:45 AM
    this is where I am confused. OS 2 is suppose to include an Android player, right? So won't the Android Kindle, Netflix, etc then work on the PB? Or, even though, the PB can run Android, will the apps have to be 'ported' to the PB Android? And if so, how hard will that be?
    depends on if they allow sideloading in the official OS 2. Otherwise all android apps have to be submitted thru appworld process
    12-31-11 10:50 AM
    Not so fast. All we know-sarcasm not intended here-is that its not ready yet and will be coming some time in the future. There is nothing anywhere said by RIM we can hold them to that the android player was going to be coupled with the new OS.

Sad thing is.... there hasnt been any released statements that outline what WILL be in it.
    12-31-11 10:55 AM
    I think we just have to wait, for I have understood the major thing about the is the android player...and fix of some major bug...I'm just expecting for a better compatibility of the pb with bluetooth devices...android apps might be nice...maybe the os2 will be better for the developers to work with...
    12-31-11 11:16 AM
    No, i didnt misunderstand. This is exactly what im talking about. These developers MUST port their apps over inorder for them to appear in appworld. Once they are ported over, THEN they will play in the app player. (My thoughts are... No sideloading once OS2 is out of beta. ) So if the developers of the android Netflix app decides not to port it over to the playbook, point your frustration in the right direction is all I'm saying.
    Last edited by KOOLWATER; 12-31-11 at 11:33 AM.
    12-31-11 11:29 AM
    And remember... RIM has a record of breaking promises.

Dont be surprised if February comes and goes and there is no OS2 at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-11 11:51 AM
    No, i didnt misunderstand. This is exactly what im talking about. These developers MUST port their apps over inorder for them to appear in appworld. Once they are ported over, THEN they will play in the app player. (My thoughts are... No sideloading once OS2 is out of beta. ) So if the developers of the android Netflix app decides not to port it over to the playbook, point your frustration in the right direction is all I'm saying.
    IMHO RIM knows that these major apps need to be available for a platform to succeed these days so it doesn't matter if they are Android or Native, RIM needs to do whatever necessary to get the big name apps on the Playbook period. OS2 coming out without the major apps won't sell much better than OS1 did. Letting RIM off the hook and putting it all on developers is just not practical and will be the death of the OS2/10 ecosystem. Developers are out to make money, not support niche ecosystems.
    JeepBB, the_sleuth and FF22 like this.
    12-31-11 12:28 PM
    People will complain regardless. It's a shame but that is to be expected. Since the launch of the playbook the main gripe has been about apps not performance. It really doesn't matter what apps RIM includes in OS2. There will always be one it doesn't have that people will whine about. For myself I'm looking for improved functionality for the docs to go suite and adobe pdf features. if RIM would throw in a cross platform application for video chat, that would be awesome. Finally if I could ever use my playbook as a bluetooth speaker phone and bridge blackberry traffic that would be phenomenal. Yeah, I know those may be pipe dreams but RIM has many untapped possibilities with the playbook and blackberry.
    don't care about the apps so much. I have a droid x for that. my issue is the wifi with the playbook and streaming movies/shows. all my other devices have no issues with my netgear wifi, but the playbook constantly resets/looks for wifi. some times a show will run 30 minutes, while most times its less than 15 minutes. I have not contacted RIM tech dept. as of yet because I don't really use the PB that much. Its a beauty and the OS is nice. The screen is amazing, but the wifi is a big issue. I should not have to redo my entire network for the PB. my son's lenovo ideapd a1 is not in the same league as the PB in terms of OS and screen view (the Lenovo frankly is horrible and trying to return it), but it works flawless with wifi and viewing videos. Many people have this wifi issue. this OS2 update won;t matter if people continue to have wifi issues.
    12-31-11 12:50 PM

I'm with ya OP! I said in another thread if what you mention is there I'll be more than happy. The rest will follow.
    12-31-11 12:52 PM
    I hope RIM fixes the native video player. Not having AC3 audio codec for video files is admittedly laughable by today's standards.
    12-31-11 12:53 PM
    And remember... RIM has a record of breaking promises.

Dont be surprised if February comes and goes and there is no OS2 at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is the sad truth - I won't be surprised.
    12-31-11 01:16 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD