For us non-techies who have AT&T - the excitement about the new non-tethering bridge browser is confusing to me. I have AT&T and use the OTA bridge version so my bridge browser seems to work identically as before the update. If I turn off wifi and bridge i cant get online - so what am i missing?

The only thing i can figure is that the new update circumvents the tethering requirement for non-AT&T BB phones or makes bridge work with any phone - BB or not? Either way - my functionality is unchanged, correct?

Thx! Rick
    08-26-11 01:10 PM
    Don't turn off Bridge! That's the connection to your PB for the data!

With Bridge connection, you can use either the Bridge Browser or the PB Native Browser and connect to the internet without wifi.

One reason you would want to use the bridge browser is to have access to any bookmarks on your phone's browser that aren't on your PB.
    08-26-11 01:31 PM
    The big difference is when you turn off your WiFi you can just use the normal browser and it will now use your phone to browse. You dont really need to bridge browser any more.
    08-26-11 01:33 PM
    For us non-techies who have AT&T - the excitement about the new non-tethering bridge browser is confusing to me. I have AT&T and use the OTA bridge version so my bridge browser seems to work identically as before the update. If I turn off wifi and bridge i cant get online - so what am i missing?

The only thing i can figure is that the new update circumvents the tethering requirement for non-AT&T BB phones or makes bridge work with any phone - BB or not? Either way - my functionality is unchanged, correct?

Thx! Rick
    The other posts have answered it, but to be clear:

1. Bridge your PB to your BB.
    2. Turn off WiFi on your PB; KEEP BRIDGE TURNED ON!
    3. Open your regular browser (not Bridge Browser), or any other app that connects to the internet.
    4. Enjoy your connectivity! No more Wifi needed.
    08-26-11 01:39 PM
    It means that if you have the OTA bridge, your Playbook is basically connected all the time.

If you are in the middle of nowhere and you don't have wifi connection --- you can still use the big browser, the facebook app, the weather app... on your Playbook.
    08-26-11 01:44 PM
    Thanks everybody - I think I get it now - the update basically merged the bridge browser into the regular browser. Yeah, when I said I turned off bridge - that was just to check to see if there wasn't some new connection embedded in the updated browser - just a test.

I see now. Thanks very much. BTW, just my two cents worth - but I think the thing rocks - the size is perfect and once Android comes - well then maybe I'll get to play Texas Hold 'em poker finally! LOL

R.
    08-26-11 01:57 PM
    Thanks everybody - I think I get it now - the update basically merged the bridge browser into the regular browser
    Thats only one feature, the beauty about this update is that ANY app that uses internet connection will work with just the Bridge, so if you are out of Wifi range BUT connected to Bridge you can still use apps like Bing maps, Blaq, BB news, etc, all of them getting data through your BB via Bridge, the regular browser is just one of those apps that work with bridge now.

EDIT: forgot to mention that App world and Video Chat still require Wifi to function.
    08-26-11 04:22 PM
    Bridge browser is still important to people on BES. That is configured to access their corporate accounts behind firewalls that the Playbook browsers can't get past.
    08-26-11 04:44 PM
    I view it more of a full tethering update since before you only accessed "bridge apps" like email, bridge browser, calendar, bridge file sharing with the BB, etc. While you "regular" PB apps would not run if not in a WiFi area.

Now you can run all apps except the app store off of the Bridge connection via bluetooth. Also being there was a limited number of saved bookmarks you could do, now you could double them. Have one set for the bridge browser and one for the regular browser all accessible via bridge.

Great update, allows data sharing with no extra carrier monthly fees. IMHO, makes Playbook leaps and bounds more practical than other tablets that charge you hundreds more for a 3G tablet then milk you more with another $25 per month for its own dedicated data plan...
    Altarocks likes this.
    08-26-11 04:52 PM
    This is a big deal, but it's amazing how little about this I've been able to find in the tech press. On Computerworld etc all they normally talk about is Apple. Of the 10 articles that came in yesterdays email newsletter, for example, 4 were Apple related!
    08-26-11 05:23 PM
    This is a big deal, but it's amazing how little about this I've been able to find in the tech press. On Computerworld etc all they normally talk about is Apple. Of the 10 articles that came in yesterdays email newsletter, for example, 4 were Apple related!
    Steve Jobs, perhaps the most iconic CEO, inventor, and businessman of our time has resigned. Thats pretty big news, but it is still amazing the lack of respect RIM has been getting in the tech world as of late.

This update is a coup for the consumer over the greedy unethical business practices of the carriers. That story alone is worth telling, but is being ignored. Tech critics and journalist are derelict in their reporting for ignoring this. For all intents and purposes, the Playbook became the best tablet out there this week...
    08-26-11 08:22 PM
    Steve Jobs, perhaps the most iconic CEO, inventor, and businessman of our time has resigned. Thats pretty big news, but it is still amazing the lack of respect RIM has been getting in the tech world as of late.

This update is a coup for the consumer over the greedy unethical business practices of the carriers. That story alone is worth telling, but is being ignored. Tech critics and journalist are derelict in their reporting for ignoring this. For all intents and purposes, the Playbook became the best tablet out there this week...
    I know he's resigned, jthep - which makes the prolifery of articles this week more understandable. What I was referring to dates back to April 19th. I also forgot to mention the tons of reviews and comparisons between tablets...and no mention of the PB - as if it didn't exist. Now, with this leap forward for the PB, you are completely right: they have become completely derelict in their reporting!
    08-26-11 08:35 PM
    Yes the other question i had was about apps in bridge so thanks guys for also helping me understand that too.

About the lack of press, I've been talking to my phone guy at Costco - waiting for the 9810 to arrive and his attitude is so pro-Android, its prejudicial. I asked him if i could reserve one and he smirked and said it wasn't necessary. Remindsed me of my ex-wife, the world's biggest MACNAZI. It'll be interesting when the world finds out about this new functionality which i agree seems to make all other tablets obsolete. Does any other tab link to a phone this effectively?

Thanks guys . R.
    08-27-11 01:47 PM
    Well, I would guess that any of the new phones that can provide a wifi hotspot would be available to use with any of the wifi tablets. Maybe that is what rim was trying to mimic.
    08-27-11 06:26 PM
    So if I had the OTA bridge i can connect to any website using the bridge broser via bluetooth and not cost me anytbing. is that correct?
    08-28-11 12:28 AM
    So if I had the OTA bridge i can connect to any website using the bridge broser via bluetooth and not cost me anytbing. is that correct?
    Yes. Supposedly the data is encrypted by RIM so AT&T can't tell if you watched a 20 MB youtube video on a Playbook from you downloading a 20 MB email attachment on a Blackberry.

Not just the bridge browser --- also the regular Playbook browser, and all the other apps (like Facebook app, Weather app...).
    08-28-11 01:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD