This thread highlights a clear division between those who have worked for a large company, and those who have not.

I work for the investment arm of a large multi-national insurance company, but I get employee discount on my motor and home insurance. When I worked for a retail bank, I got discounted interest rates on loans/mortgage and no fees.

Employee discounts are common practice in the real world. This explains the employee price for the PB. It really is that simple.
    No, I understand the concept of employe incentives. What I don't understand though is how Rim is staying in the black with all these huge slashes in price.
    11-29-11 03:06 AM
    Whatever RIM is doing to deplete the PlayBook inventories, I hope it is not going to affect negatively the timely release of OS2 on Feb. 2012...
    11-29-11 03:22 AM
    No, I understand the concept of employe incentives. What I don't understand though is how Rim is staying in the black with all these huge slashes in price.
    RIM is a profitable company. Hugely so in fact. It doesn't translate to their stock price doing so well though for some reason. So if you're worried about RIM, I don't think its necessary.

Its actually good that they're willing to take a hit on PB to get it into consumers hands. Its like when you plant something...while u wait for the fruits to grow u gotta fertilize (spend money). Which is what I think RIM is doing.
    11-29-11 03:42 AM
    When Google gave away Nexus One to each employee for free no one complain. Why when RIM does something similar is bad?
    11-29-11 04:21 AM
    Bottom line is that I wish I knew a RIM employee so I could buy TWO tablets!!!
    si_chindo likes this.
    11-29-11 05:25 AM
    I can't understand why Dadbj13 is getting his knickers in such a twist over this. Who cares?!?
    11-30-11 04:06 AM
    I think this kind of discount is uncommon. This is not business as usual. 10% off $499 is a discount. $199 is a cry for help. Cutting that in half again is beyond anything resembling business as usual. Again, I can't believe that employees were not already lining up at $199.
    What leads you to assume employees were not buying the BlackBerry PlayBook at the reduced retail prices? The internal sale price might be a way of saying "thank you" to employees. You sound like an envious brat. If you want these incentives you can apply to Research In Motion for a job if you are qualified. I say good for these employees and no jealousy.
    Barljo likes this.
    11-30-11 09:21 PM
    Bottom line is that I wish I knew a RIM employee so I could buy TWO tablets!!!
    I gotta pee.
    11-30-11 09:26 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD