I've seen others post about how cool it is to be able to use the PlayBook to play songs that are stored on their BlackBerry, so that you don't have to duplicate your entire music library across both devices. So today I thought I'd try it -- and I can't figure out how to play more than one song at a time, which I do by browsing to it in the File Manager and opening it. One song at a time. If that's all you can do, it's pretty useless. I want to be able to set my PB to shuffle play from all the songs on my BB; is there a way to do it? Please tell me that I'm missing the obvious!
    03-19-12 02:07 PM
    Why not download the free "box.net" app on your PB? It gives you 50gigs of cloud. You could transfer your music library there. Only issue is there is a 100mb file size transfer limit, so no movies, but your music collection would be a breeze. Just a suggestion!
    03-19-12 07:16 PM
    I've seen others post about how cool it is to be able to use the PlayBook to play songs that are stored on their BlackBerry, so that you don't have to duplicate your entire music library across both devices. So today I thought I'd try it -- and I can't figure out how to play more than one song at a time, which I do by browsing to it in the File Manager and opening it. One song at a time. If that's all you can do, it's pretty useless. I want to be able to set my PB to shuffle play from all the songs on my BB; is there a way to do it? Please tell me that I'm missing the obvious!
    How are you guys even able to do that? My PlayBook doesn't show any music/audio files when bridged to my BlackBerry.
    03-19-12 07:22 PM
    Why not download the free "box.net" app on your PB? It gives you 50gigs of cloud. You could transfer your music library there. Only issue is there is a 100mb file size transfer limit, so no movies, but your music collection would be a breeze. Just a suggestion!
    Thanks, but I'm categorically anti-cloud. My data, my server.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    03-19-12 07:32 PM
    How are you guys even able to do that? My PlayBook doesn't show any music/audio files when bridged to my BlackBerry.
    1. Are you browsing your BB file system using the PB's File Manager?
    2. What portion of your BB's file system can you see through File Manager? Can you browse all the way to the Music folder, only to find it empty, or does the file browser blank out before then? Does it show you any of the contents of the SD crad?
    3. In what format are your music files? Mine are all MP3s and M4As with no DRM.
    4. How many song files do you have on your BB, and how long did you wait for the File Manager browse window to populate? (It's really slow over wimpy ol' Bluetooth; you might just need to wait a little longer.)
    03-19-12 09:02 PM
    Thanks, but I'm categorically anti-cloud. My data, my server.
    That's all trendy and everything but is it really your data? Are these recordings of your own band?
    I can understand not trusting "the cloud" with private or personal information but music can be found anywhere on the net without involving your cloud.
    03-20-12 04:52 AM
    That's all trendy and everything but is it really your data? Are these recordings of your own band?
    I can understand not trusting "the cloud" with private or personal information but music can be found anywhere on the net without involving your cloud.
    I has no idea I was trendy; thanks! After all these years; finally! Do I hafta shave my mustache now but leave the beard? Please don't tell me that I also hafta wear a rasta knit cap, avoid bathing, and start listening to Nickelback? (But I hear that even part-time Starbucks barristas get benefits, so that part wouldn't be so bad...)

Seriously, though: Is there now a trend of people being anti-Cloud? I thought that if anything, it was the complete opposite. Everybody seems to be jumping on the cloud bandwagon.

My opposition is not based on a hipster-ish desire to differ from the mainstream purely for the sake of being "different"; instead it's based on my background in IT, and the long-standing, ingrained mantra that thou must have complete control over one's data. Hence, my characterization of my opposition as "categorical." There may also be a certain degree of pride involved as well; letting someone else store my data acknowledges that they can do it better -- and of course, pride cares not whether its concerns are sensible or ludicrous.

But your point is well taken; perhaps I should evaluate the security concerns of my data on a case-by-case basis rather than with a blanket, one-size-fits-all policy. (See the IT influence?) Perhaps I will consider the advantages of availing myself of the cloud for things like music.

Thanks.
    03-20-12 10:04 AM
    1. Are you browsing your BB file system using the PB's File Manager?
    2. What portion of your BB's file system can you see through File Manager? Can you browse all the way to the Music folder, only to find it empty, or does the file browser blank out before then? Does it show you any of the contents of the SD crad?
    3. In what format are your music files? Mine are all MP3s and M4As with no DRM.
    4. How many song files do you have on your BB, and how long did you wait for the File Manager browse window to populate? (It's really slow over wimpy ol' Bluetooth; you might just need to wait a little longer.)
    Yep its over the native file browser .

Maybe they are DRM but since the BlackBerry has no problem playing it would that mean its DRM free?

I'll try waiting for a while the music folder is empty but I'll try your suggests when I get home.
    03-20-12 11:08 AM
    Hey just tried this playing a track over bluetooth via bridge, pretty cool. But as the original post would be awesome if it worked as per the music player and you could use features such as shuffle etc. Basically making the phone expandable storage.

May still have to invest in a 64gb sd card though, what would videos be like over bluetooth?? Anyone tried?
    03-20-12 06:18 PM
    Small videos used to work for me using files and folders before 2.0, doesn't work now. I cheated and bought a 64gb and just trasfered everything over to it instead.

The 64gb sd card won't work on any of the current bb's as far as I know.
    03-20-12 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD