1. Great form factor
    2. Great screen
    3. Fantastic web browser
    4. Fast
    5. Outstanding build quality

...but app lack is a huge issue. The tablet isn't compatible with existing blackberry apps like the android tablets are. None of the 3 main programs I use for work are available (though they are for blackberry phones). None of the developers plan to port them to the Playbook (I asked - they said wait for android compatibility). While Acrobat Reader is a free download, there is no CHM reader available (so I can't open the manuals I need for work). In the end I felt as if I was being offered little more than a web browser to make up for the poor browsing capabilities of my blackberry phone...and that's really unfortunate given how outstanding a piece of hardware it is.

Sitting next to an android powered HTC flyer at the same price - with clearly inferior build quality in the HTC, but greater capability given the apps available - it is going to be a tough sell.
    10-07-11 09:46 PM
    Never heard of that app. I daresay most haven't so while every sale is important -except among major retailers- lack of those apps isn't of paramount concern especially since the PB does support droid apps as was shown by the leak a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by shootsscores; 10-07-11 at 10:29 PM.
    rsxsniper and 8230 like this.
    10-07-11 10:16 PM
    If you don't need one right away wait until devcon and see what the news is.
    10-07-11 10:35 PM
    1. Great form factor
    2. Great screen
    3. Fantastic web browser
    4. Fast

...but app lack is a huge issue. The tablet isn't compatible with existing blackberry apps like the android tablets are. None of the 3 main programs I use for work are available (though they are for blackberry phones). None of the developers plan to port them to the Playbook (I asked - they said wait for android compatibility). While Acrobat Reader is a free download, there is no CHM reader available (so I can't open the manuals I need for work). In the end I felt as if I was being offered little more than a web browser to make up for the poor browsing capabilities of my blackberry phone...and that's really unfortunate given how outstanding a piece of hardware it is.

Sitting next to an android powered HTC flyer at the same price - with clearly inferior build quality in the HTC, but greater capability given the apps available - it is going to be a tough sell.
    So what are the three main apps you miss?
    10-07-11 10:40 PM
    1. Great form factor
    2. Great screen
    3. Fantastic web browser
    4. Fast

Fair review.

Thankfully OS 2.0 is just around the corner and it will sort out the Android Player, and other standard features you expect.

Played with the Acer Android Tab yesterday, what a POS! Also, for those that talk about checker boarding on the PB, man, I was using my iPad 1 last night and boy I've NEVER seen so many small squares in my life, my eyes were going funny!
    10-07-11 10:52 PM
    I'm hoping they might break out a java player for 2.0 along with the Android Player. That would be another way to combat the app issue...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-07-11 11:34 PM
    1. Great form factor
    2. Great screen
    3. Fantastic web browser
    4. Fast

I agree with you, the device is some great hardware and I like the OS. Just from hardware and the OS itself, easily my favorite tablet. Tried it for the first time a week ago and went back to stores 3 more times to try it out some more. Unfortunately, I just can't seem to pull the trigger on it in it's current state. Got a Nook Color yesterday since I always was interested in those, and am going to use the 14 day return policy to decide if I keep that or return it and get a Playbook instead. So far, the dual boot setup on the Nook using cyanogen on the SD card has been great, so might end up with a Nook instead of the Playbook.
    10-08-11 02:46 AM
    i have a nook and a pb. almost exact dimensions but the nook feels much lighter. browser on the pb is clearly faster and so is fluidity. my problem is is it worth having both devices?
    10-08-11 04:13 AM
    So what are the three main apps you miss?
    Epocrates, Medscape, Pepid. Pepid usually supports everything - they still support an app for the original palm, but won't be writing for the playbook. As far as the androidnsupport, see the thread "rim lists limitations on android support."
    10-08-11 08:25 AM
    1. Great form factor
    2. Great screen
    3. Fantastic web browser
    4. Fast

HOPEFULLY the App situation will be sorted out soon because we should soon see how the Android Player works. When someone posted earlier that "PB does support droid apps" this is more of a hope than a concrete statement at this point because no one except people running a yet-to-be-released version of the OS can run them (or an old leaked version). Truth is that we don't yet know which Android Apps will work and which won't. We also don't know how useable the Android Player is. The leaked version had really long load times and did not run a lot of Android apps. If you are on the fence, wait a few weeks and see what RIM ultimately demonstrates at Devcon. That may not answer every question but hopefully the software will be released soon. No one knows when.

I also have a HTC Flyer and I disagree with you about its build quality. It has really good build quality. The only thing that I don't like is that there is plastic on each end. The speakers stink too. But, most of it is all aluminum and the screen is really good. My major complaint about the Flyer is that I can't tether it to my BB phone.
    10-08-11 08:35 AM
    Never heard of that app. I daresay most haven't so while every sale is important -except among major retailers- lack of those apps isn't of paramount concern especially since the PB does support droid apps as was shown by the leak a few weeks ago.
    Actually .chm is the format MS stores their help files in. If I am correct they can also be read in a web browser.
    10-08-11 10:15 AM
    Actually .chm is the format MS stores their help files in. If I am correct they can also be read in a web browser.
    Sometimes you have to be creative when migrating to a new device going through growing pains. Missing one or two apps is no good reason for rejecting PB out-of-hand.

I doubt that .chm files can be read directly by the browser on PB but there are dozens of .chm to html converters available. Google search
    10-08-11 10:35 AM
    I don't get why everyone has a ***** over Android applications to be honest. Having owned an OG Galaxy Tab for about 6 months, I found quite a number of the Android apps to be extremely sub-par and not at all what I expected - unless of course they were released by a reputable developer. There were so many applications though, where I'd read the description and it clearly sounded like a hazard security-wise.

But having said that, there are a few applications I wouldn't mind using. I DID purchase a Bluetooth OBDII tool for use with Torque for mobile diagnostics and aside from the bugs, it worked well. So I wouldn't mind the odd app like that, or some rinky-dink games if I'm ever bored. Either way, my PlayBook would remain strictly business, and I think the Android novelty will wear off rather quickly for PlayBook users once the NDK is released and devs start to pump out more native applications for the 'Book.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-11 10:52 AM
    Its already pretty clear that the Android App player will have some significant limitations. The actual developer interest in it, and in porting their apps for App World is also unclear at this point, so responding to any and all complaints about the lack of apps with: "Oh, don't worry! The Android Player will fix that!" is a pretty sure way of setting yourself up for disappointment at this point in time.

The actual effect of the Android Player won't be known for awhile. It'll take a good six months or so, before we're able to tell whether it's a success or not.

Judging from the expectations however, it seems that there'll be alot of disappointed PB owners. For some reason, there's this widespread belief that the Android Player will somehow magically make the entire Android Market available. IMHO RIM has made a pretty big mistake by pushing the Android Player and the marketing of it as hard as they did.

There are a lot of unrealistic expectations to the player at this point, and it'll probably end up hurting RIM.
    10-08-11 11:36 AM
    Its already pretty clear that the Android App player will have some significant limitations. The actual developer interest in it, and in porting their apps for App World is also unclear at this point, so responding to any and all complaints about the lack of apps with: "Oh, don't worry! The Android Player will fix that!" is a pretty sure way of setting yourself up for disappointment at this point in time.

The actual effect of the Android Player won't be known for awhile. It'll take a good six months or so, before we're able to tell whether it's a success or not.

Judging from the expectations however, it seems that there'll be alot of disappointed PB owners. For some reason, there's this widespread belief that the Android Player will somehow magically make the entire Android Market available. IMHO RIM has made a pretty big mistake by pushing the Android Player and the marketing of it as hard as they did.

There are a lot of unrealistic expectations to the player at this point, and it'll probably end up hurting RIM.
    There will be more apps so it probably will not end up hurting RIM.
    10-08-11 12:08 PM
    Plus we know we can side load compatible Apps already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-11 12:55 PM
    Sometimes you have to be creative when migrating to a new device going through growing pains. Missing one or two apps is no good reason for rejecting PB out-of-hand.

I doubt that .chm files can be read directly by the browser on PB but there are dozens of .chm to html converters available. Google search
    if I'm not mistaken, Igor from untangleddev is going to work on chm support for his app book reader. So far, he's doing a great job of supporting and updating his app.

try visiting this thread and tell him that you're interested in chm http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...53/index5.html
    10-08-11 12:55 PM
    Epocrates, Medscape, Pepid. Pepid usually supports everything - they still support an app for the original palm, but won't be writing for the playbook. As far as the androidnsupport, see the thread "rim lists limitations on android support."
    Can these apps/sites not be accessed using the PlayBook's browser?
    10-08-11 01:05 PM

May be wrong but wasn't the android player suppose to be a faster way to get apps going? Not the be all end all.
    10-08-11 03:44 PM
    Consider that the app world is getting so much better, we have been seeing loads of new excellent apps in the past 2 weeks, so I guess Alec Saunders is earning his pay, hey?!

In the end, we will have more apps with Android Player. RIM has been acquiring quite a few startups to build their own ecosystem so I am rather excited about the future.

My big concern is the new qnx phones. I rather expected them to be pretty much miniature Playbooks, but with that awful 'porsche design' phone that was leaked, plus hearing that carriers complained about the 'too industrial' look...who is in charge of qnx design?!!

The qnx phones need to blow everyone out of the water, I don't care if RIM loses money trying to get all the great specs, qnx needs some rave reviews.

Okay, rant over.
    10-08-11 04:27 PM
    Very specialized apps. This is a case where you have to buy the device that supports the apps, not buy a device and expect it to have the apps. Certainly not a reason to fault the general utility of Playbook. Very select group requiring specialized apps like that.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-08-11 at 04:33 PM.
    10-08-11 04:31 PM
    It has really good build quality. The only thing that I don't like is that there is plastic on each end. The speakers stink too.
    Aren't these statements mutually exclusive? Plastic on each end = poor build quality, well perhaps poor design quality.
    10-08-11 04:36 PM
    Missing one or two apps is no good reason for rejecting PB out-of-hand.

[/URL]
    Exactly - especially highly specialized medical apps such as what the OP cites. Beside that, they do run on BB phones, so there is a good chance they recognize the BB as a platform, and they did hint that they are waiting for android support.
    10-08-11 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD