Oh Lord! Leave off checking a thread for a day or so and come back to the "I'd prefer to have an iPad but love to hang around here to tell you all how stupid you are"

I must be lying because I don't experience lag. Have I ever experienced anything being a bit slow? Of course - but the same can be said for my computer at work and my desktop at home. Sometimes it's a wifi issue - sometimes it's a cache issue - sometimes there seems to be no reason at all. Is this a constant problem with any of them. Nope! Is it worth posting ad nauseum about something down to the seconds a given task takes? Not even close!

The nit-picking in this thread makes for a boring read. Perhaps some members just don't have enough to do?
    According to some folks, we are lying through our teeth about the lag, or lack of.
    07-27-12 10:50 PM
    Anybody who denies the existence of the problems the OP mentions is lying through their teeth. Just because you don't experience them doesn't mean they don't exist. And if you don't care about them, or think a mountain is being made out of a molehill, there are countless other threads here at CB in which you can be a useless presence. I suggest you go to one of them straightaway.
    07-28-12 12:13 AM
    Okay...here are some numbers...all are from hitting the app icon to the app being functional and ready to go:

Native Email: 8 seconds
    Native Calendar: 8 seconds
    Native Contacts: 7 seconds
    App World: 7 seconds
    Video Chat: 10 seconds

Perhaps if everyone did their own tests and we can compare? I think these numbers are really slow. The comparable iPad apps open in 2 or 3 seconds based on my experience.
    I think most of that is a coding issue. The application opening animation seems to take up a lot of that time. The application opening animation takes up about 2-4 seconds or more.
    07-28-12 12:21 AM
    I love my playbook, i use it every day, but it does lagg.

It is what it is
    digtech likes this.
    07-28-12 03:07 AM
    Anybody who denies the existence of the problems the OP mentions is lying through their teeth. Just because you don't experience them doesn't mean they don't exist.
    This doesn't make any sense.
    07-28-12 04:13 AM
    This doesn't make any sense.
    Of course it doesn't make sense! He/She/It is unconcerned with making sense. This thread is nothing more than an opportunity to come here and tell us all what fools we are and what a great authority he/she/it is.

I, of course, believe no such thing and would turn the poster's advice back on him/her/itself. I'm sure there are many threads where his/her/its virtriol is missing and he/she/it should focus his/her/its attention elsewhere - like the iMore forum.
    07-28-12 06:31 AM
    I find that sarcasm/irony/humor on an online forum seldom is a good idea. They have a rule in norwegian radio that goes along the lines of 'what you say isn't important, it's what people hear that matters.', and the use of comedy in a forum often tends to set people of on bickering tangents from what the thread is really about.

I absolutely love my PB. I use it all the time. regardless of that I still experience heavy instances of lag, where the PB is completly bogged down and in a semi-freezed state. Just like the OP describes it.

My PB is running .358, 132 apps,1040 songs, 50 videos and 21 Gb free space.

If somebody have any tips on how to improve the performance of my PB, I'm all ears. If not I'll just wait for OS 2.1 which I hope is right around the corner.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 07-28-12 at 07:22 AM.
    digtech likes this.
    07-28-12 07:16 AM
    I dare anyone to open Contacts, Calendar, Mail or App World in 2 seconds or less. It's just not possible, although easily done on the iPad. These are coding issues, not hardware issues. Hopefully OS 2.1 will speed things up a bit.

P.S. I still love my PlayBook, but it is "clunky"...
    brianatbb likes this.
    07-28-12 08:29 AM
    I have no doubt that some folks, more than some, are having problems. What causes them is the question. Is it a combination of the type of media, the apps, sideloaded apps, the number of apps or number of media files - those are the questions. Then there is the subjective concept of LAG. I may have more patience. Others less so. I know firing up Words w/Friends (sideloaded and android) can seem to take too long. And it tends to lock up more than some other android apps I have and much more than any native app.

I recall one of those mapping gps programs created a folder structure with over 40,000 files. It definitely interfered with DM backups. Does such a monster create other issues on the pb? I don't know. But indexing/maintaining such an app and its folders might have impacts beyond just the DM backup. I never actually reviewed it much once I realized it caused my backup problems. Could other apps be creating a mess that slows down the pb - maybe.

But I have no problem believing some folks have real issues and some subjective issues. As I posted above, I certainly don't think wiping 64gigs of data monthly should be a required solution but finding out what causes the problems should be investigated. Call Rim or post this on THEIR support forum. If everyone who has the issue posts THERE maybe they can figure it out.

BlackBerry� PlayBook

edited to add: Just did what Matt J suggested. Yup, takes more than 2 seconds. I can't compare to an ipad as I don't have one. But, that is definitely where I guess I have more patience. I can wait the 4 or 6 seconds. Or I'm dazzled by the spinning green thingie! I admit I have less patience for the javascript induced coma and the keyboard reactions when javascript is active. But that's where I use SimpleBrowser and have some tabs for javascript and some tabs without it.
    Last edited by F2; 07-28-12 at 09:17 AM.
    07-28-12 09:10 AM
    Oh no! As i was reading this thread on my Sony Vaio Laptop with an i5 and 4GB of RAM i experienced delay of almost 8 seconds while loading a page. Should i assume that all Vaio's are laggy? is the i5 really slower than I've been led to believe? If anyone isn't having this issue they are obviously lying?

Unlikely. Mostly it works fine but I do have some issues with it. I assume that it is something I have done, loaded, not loaded. I haven't had time to track the issue down nor does occasional lag or long start up time really concern me enough to go onto the Sony forum and see if there is a solution.

Obviously there are some people having issues with lag on their pbs. I am happy not to be one of them but I do feel for those who are having the issue. The problem likely is a combination of factors and each one could be unique. A quick perusal through the forums shows that this is not a new issue. I thought it might be related to sideloaded apps - so I have never sideloaded - but I have seen others post that they don't have sideloaded apps and still have lag.

As another poster said however, one person's lag time is different from another. So while it doesn't bother me that my email takes 5 - 6 seconds to load - that is considered a 'lag' by someone else. I have a funny feeling that if it relates to expectations of things being instantaneous it won't be fixed with OS 2.1, but hopefully will be with BB10.
    07-28-12 09:45 AM
    I dare anyone to open Contacts, Calendar, Mail or App World in 2 seconds or less. It's just not possible, although easily done on the iPad. These are coding issues, not hardware issues. Hopefully OS 2.1 will speed things up a bit.

P.S. I still love my PlayBook, but it is "clunky"...
    Yep, I love my PlayBook, but it does take darn near a full 4 seconds to open Contacts, Calendar, Mail, AppWorld or the Browser for me using OS 2.1beta. The only lag that I have ever had with either of my PBs (started with a 16gb then got a 64gb) was with 2.1 beta and typing in a dialog box such as in CB forums, the letters/words sometimes (very rare and random though) don't appear at first until hitting the return key.

I too am sorry to hear some are having issues such as those listed by the OP, but I too have many, many apps (some sideloaded), tons of music, videos, pics and lots of various work files (which is why I upgraded to the 64gb version). I also remember many BB phone owners complaining about various issues over the years that other owners did not have with their phones. Some of these issues were solved with reboots, wipe and reloads, etc. I have also not had those issues with my BB phones that some had and others did not, obviously I have/had the ones that everyone has/had such as a sucky camera on the 99xx phones which is not really an issue for me because I have a digital camera for pictures as well as the PBs cameras. If some of those issues had existed with my PBs or my BBs it might have pushed me to other devices which I have or did have in the past such as Android tablets and iPads, but the PB still has more of what I want/need in a tablet and my BB phone still has more of what I want/need in a smartphone so I will stick with it and deal a nearly 2 second delay if that is what is necessary to have what I want/need overall in a tablet.
    07-28-12 09:50 AM
    As I have said, not many apps, no sideloaded ones, no music, few pics or other files. Sometimes, not a lot, I'll swipe down in the browser to add a new tab and sometimes it takes a noticeable amount of time for the menu to drop down, sometimes the typing is delayed, sometimes pages stall.

I don't have much experience with other devices to know if they also lag sometimes.
    07-28-12 09:58 AM
    As I have said, not many apps, no sideloaded ones, no music, few pics or other files. Sometimes, not a lot, I'll swipe down in the browser to add a new tab and sometimes it takes a noticeable amount of time for the menu to drop down, sometimes the typing is delayed, sometimes pages stall.

I don't have much experience with other devices to know if they also lag sometimes.
    So, do you keep your pb paperweight face down or face up when NOT using it for anything productive? Or maybe you stand it on edge for a challenging exercise in dexterity?
    07-28-12 10:10 AM
    So, do you keep your pb paperweight face down or face up when NOT using it for anything productive? Or maybe you stand it on edge for a challenging exercise in dexterity?
    LOL It has never been or ever will be a paperweight. I just find it impossible that anyone that owns one never ever experiences any lag. I also find it impossible that android and iOS never ever lags.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-28-12 10:15 AM
    I have a friend that uses theirs just for a portable browser because they like the size of the PB compared to a 9"-10" tablet or a smaller smartphone device. They only check email, some twitter, little facebook, stream some music or occasional videos with it, no apps, no bbm, nothing stored and never use the camera, seems like a waste to me, but each to their own I suppose.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-28-12 10:19 AM
    Again, I think it some of it gets down to perception. What "lag" is to one person may be perfectly acceptable to someone else. 4 seconds to me is a blink (I have a lot of patience apparently ) - to someone else, it may be an eternity. I think each person has to first decide what is acceptable to them and then whether the Playbook is enough for them or it's time to move on. I do think each device will have its own shortcomings. Hopefully BB10 will be enough to satisfy the harshest of critics...but knowing human nature, I doubt it.
    mikeplus1 and rmpb like this.
    07-28-12 10:42 AM
    Perception is part, but only part of the issue. When your sitting waiting, and waiting, for action, that's not perception. I admit part of my perception of lagginess, though, is based on direct comparison with my ipod 3. I am up here at Whistler for a few days so i brought both the pb and ipod (I need to use skype). Yesterday my brother-in-law was giving them both a try. Now, he has no skin in this game as he owns no tablet or smartphone and is unaware of the PB's glitches (or the ipod's). After playing around with them, he volunteered that the ipod was smoother (less laggy). So i thinkthe issues that i and others report go beyond perception. Perhaps those who have no complaints have lower expectations (it's cheaper than an ipad so what do you expect) or maybe they regularly wipe their device or don't load it up like i do. I regard those, however, as excuses, not valid reasons for sub-par performance. More important, i am disturbed that rim apparently does not see that it is such 'little' things that sink new technologies, especially devices that also showsuchpromise as the PB. I wonder who they are listening to, the 'complainer' or the deniers. If it were my job and my company on the line, i know who I'd be listening to.
    07-28-12 11:18 AM
    I find that sarcasm/irony/humor on an online forum seldom is a good idea. They have a rule in norwegian radio that goes along the lines of 'what you say isn't important, it's what people hear that matters.', and the use of comedy in a forum often tends to set people of on bickering tangents from what the thread is really about.

I absolutely love my PB. I use it all the time. regardless of that I still experience heavy instances of lag, where the PB is completly bogged down and in a semi-freezed state. Just like the OP describes it.

My PB is running .358, 132 apps,1040 songs, 50 videos and 21 Gb free space.

If somebody have any tips on how to improve the performance of my PB, I'm all ears. If not I'll just wait for OS 2.1 which I hope is right around the corner.
    Its beyond me and i cannot understand why its first resort of some persons. Instead of trying to play "two can play that game" i find its easier to ignore some of the snarky comments on here and read the few meaningful contributions to the duscussion.

Again, I think it some of it gets down to perception. What "lag" is to one person may be perfectly acceptable to someone else.
    The term lag in some instances may be subjective and can be as a result of numerous factors. Hence why i don't mention page load time, or blue bar hitching at 90%. However, if you know what the response rate is suppose to be versus what it is, then you can determine that there is lagg. Swiping down from the menu in the browser window, switching between tabs, closing a tab, clicking an app, typing on the keyboard, clicking the battery indicator ... these are all actions that should trigger immediate resposes, however, in my case they sometimes do not... and for me, That is lagg.
    Last edited by digtech; 07-28-12 at 12:17 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-28-12 12:01 PM
    BTW, never wiped my PBs or BBs except for when loading a software update, rarely rebooted my PBs and rebooting is pretty much a thing of the past with my 9930 on OS7.1 for what it is worth. Yes, I still have an occasional/rare freeze that requires a restart and all is good again, usually for weeks before I see it again. Some websites have the checkerboarding effect on my PB, but only briefly, couple of seconds maybe. I do not see anything that I would call "lag" when starting apps, etc. Bottom line is it serves my needs nicely and I really have no complaints. YMMV
    07-28-12 12:03 PM
    Maybe i need a device wipe or need to back up my playbook but i honestly doubt it. These problems arent by any means new, i just chose to ignore them because of my love for the product. There are moments when i get an ok sort of responsiveness. But the playbook seriously needs to be heavily optimized! The UI is just too chunky

- I rarely click the battery indicator and get an immediate response.

- When i click some apps they don't fire away immediately. Sometimes go dim for a fraction of a second before it initiate the app, then i have to wait on the animation, and like inside videos, pictures and music... i have to stare at the background for an additional 4 seconds.

- The keyboard... might as well i launch remote control to avoid it. Again there are times when its ok but majority its lagging behind my every touch, worse when i enable the predictions feature...another chunky feature.

- Inside Settings. Again not very responsive. Especially in the about section. I feel sometimes i have to be waiting on the PB to make its mind up.

- The browser! The reason i decide to let it all out. I feel im keeping a secret, because i dont wish my baby to get scrutinized any more than it already is. I was trying my best to wait it out, keep telling myself that better is coming, the playbook is young... but OMG... jesus of nazareth does it laggg. Honestly do the people that work for RIM own a playbook? Id be ashamed to tell any of my friends that i helped created that browser. HTML 5 scores are all fine and dandy. But its pointless given the lagg fiesta!!!! They should abandon tabbed browsing all together. I think imma invest in dolphin browser, simple browser and secure browser so as to not use tabs! just open separate windows. Every limited feature that it has laggs! the tabs, history, bookmarks... i keep having to wait until they decide to respond.

Notice im not griping about the lacking features of the playbook (bookmark manager, files manager, equilizer and the host of others) Just give me polished speedy executions and ill glady forget about all that is missing.

I honestly dont advocate the playbook with practical demonstrations because i dont know when else it might act up and then gets bad criticism. I wish Throsten Himself could read my frustrations, because im not going anywhere ... imma have my playbook for a long time and my BB10 phone when it comes, but im seriously starting to worry. Im on my playbook 24/7, honestly id like to meet the person that uses a playbook more than me so RIM take it from me! It needs work, work, work.
    ^^^^ This guys sounds like me.... GOOD ON YOU my friend. You didn't mention the "Fraken-Pins"... the text selection, copy and pasting in and out of the Browser, is a disaster.

It think it will get worse from here on as the original QA Team was bad on this, and will get worse since RIM probably laid off a whole bunch more of them.
    07-28-12 02:30 PM
    *sigh*

10characters
    07-28-12 03:24 PM

If there is anything worse than anti-RIM trolls, it's the Baghdad Bob fanbois who refuse to admit that there might be problems.

In any event, it's not just lag in the loading time. As the OP and others have mentioned, there can also be problems with the responsiveness of the keyboard and the icons on the upper right of the home screen. Those problems have disappeared for me since I did a wipe last night. But the fact that I had to wipe is completely unacceptable.
    07-28-12 08:24 PM
    Over 10 posts from one person since yesterday on this thread.

Does Crackberry award prizes for the most extensive floggings of dead horses.

Sent from my Playbook using Tapatalk
    07-28-12 09:01 PM
    Hi All,

I have the following: HP TouchPad, iPad 2, Nexus 7 and a Playbook.

The TouchPad has always been slow. The Playbook was pretty quick with OS 1, but OS 2 has slowed the operating system right down, I find it pretty odd as it normally has 400mb of ram free.

The Playbook web browser is basically unusable now, almost as slow as the TouchPad.

The iPad and Nexus are super fast with very little lag.

It is a shame as I like the 7" form factor and I really like the Playbook OS, but it doesn't get used much anymore, too slow!
    07-29-12 03:28 AM
    has anyone got a definite answer, its really starting to bug me. thanks
    07-29-12 08:16 AM
196 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD