It does sound as if something is wrong with THAT pb. Now, whether it is a physical issue with the touch-screen, even at that particular location (how about turning it to Portrait - does that battery symbol still lag?) or something on the pb that is giving it indigestion is open to question. How much memory is left? Any oddball recent apps or has it always been a problem. As asked, did you copy or move a lot of media files that it might be "indexing" in the background.

I also agree that a Security Wipe and/or Debrick should not be a routine recovery method. That would be quite tedious (despite some thinking that they have to do this with other OS's also). It could take nearly a day to backup and restore multi-gigabytes of media files. A tablet should not require that kind of action. Now if folks run lots of beta software, that might be necessary.
    Last edited by F2; 07-26-12 at 09:06 AM.
    07-26-12 09:01 AM
    While I don't necessarily agree with the OP concerning everything, I do understand what he/she is saying. Sometimes I just go down to the app tray and just flick from side to side and admire the smoothness of it; it is how the PB should be all over. I understand that a lot of stuff is done using AIR, but let's not kid ourselves, a lot of the apps, browser, etc are laggy and those need to be sorely fixed in bb10

For example the messages (native email) app takes forever to open up, the browser as well. As some stated, the PB tends to bog down as you use it more and more. For example, browsing with flash/java on now is almost unbearable with all the checkerboarding for me. I'm quite confident if I was to wipe it clean it will run like a champ, but I don't want this to be the "new" battery pull solution!
    07-26-12 10:22 AM
    Mines smooth, except certain apps that lag but meh I can live with it
    07-26-12 10:51 AM
    You should edit the title of this thread and change it to "MY PlayBook's UI laggs unbearably!". My PB runs smoothly all time. Not a single wipe in more than a year of age, restarts that I can count with one hand and more than 140 apps installed. No Lag. Daily (ab)use. 16GB Model.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    07-26-12 11:15 AM
    You should edit the title of this thread and change it to "MY PlayBook's UI laggs unbearably!". My PB runs smoothly all time. Not a single wipe in more than a year of age, restarts that I can count with one hand and more than 140 apps installed. No Lag. Daily (ab)use. 16GB Model.
    Ditto to all the above! Same case scenario. While I sympathize with the OP and hope the problems get resolved, I just hate it when people generalize based on their own, individual experience...
    littd and Spencerdl like this.
    07-26-12 11:35 AM
    OP I also experience it sometimes.
    07-26-12 11:47 AM
    I have a feeling it's the AIR apps. USUALLY my PB is snappy and smooth but as soon as I have a pdf open in Acrobat even rotating through the carousel of apps becomes jerky. I do face some issues with the lag in the browser as well.

AIR apps are a resource hog. I suspect if you open multiple apps that are only native you won't suffer such lag.
    07-26-12 12:42 PM
    OP, I experienced the same problem when typing in the browser. After reading the thread, follwed a sugestion in here. I cleared the history and change from 30 days to 1 day the period to keep the history records. After restarting the browser it is working as fast as it was after the OS install.

Give it a try, it might help.
    07-26-12 12:44 PM
    It seems to me it also might have something to do with personal expectations. For me, waiting a "fraction of a second" or even a second or two for something to respond is no big deal. My pb is plenty fast and smooth enough for me - but that's me. My email only takes a few seconds to load. If my pb didn't do what I needed it to do or was causing me hair-tearing frustration, I'd probably sell it and find something that fit my needs. Hope you find a solution that makes you happy.
    Spencerdl and Toodeurep like this.
    07-26-12 12:59 PM
    Who are all of yall fooling? You folks are blind and in denial. OP has obviously quality controlled every single unit out there, and knows all of our Playbooks have UI lag. Even as I type this on my PlayBook, the butter smoothness that I am seeing with my own eyes is purely a delusion. I finally had to be told by a stranger, that what I'm actually experiencing, isn't real. Thank you OP.
    hpjrt and Spencerdl like this.
    07-26-12 01:30 PM
    Thanks and I appreciate all the suggestions out there. I honestly was trying to run away from another security wipe since my playbook is only about 7 almost 8 months old. My 64G is constantly bombarded by media from entire TV series, movies, music videos to the next youtube tech review that i like (130 videos), 701 songs, 257 pics, and a whole lotta apps. My app count was well over 150 2 weeks ago until I started trying to diagnose the source the source of the lagg.. Now its 116 applications. I have deleted history and cleared cache in browser. Ive done hard resets, and restart it atleast twice a week. My last security wipe and back up was prior to installing update 2.0.1.358.

Yes ive played with another playbook but as i said not for long enough to see the same results, the owner says it has its moments (but all tablets do) and thats a 16G with 8G free and its much newer. What i consider the heart of the playbook (The Homescreen, apps panel, and the multitasking carousel) is never ever glitchy. I go there as a safe haven when the playbook starts to lagg or inside scrapbook. I just would love for the entire OS to exhibit that feeling.

Someone mentioned up top that a security wipe shouldnt have to be the new battery pull, well i agree. A simple reboot should be suffice to get things running smoothly again.

I suppose another security wipe is in order prior to OS 2.1
    Entire day affair
    07-26-12 01:39 PM
    Maybe i need a device wipe or need to back up my playbook but i honestly doubt it. These problems arent by any means new, i just chose to ignore them because of my love for the product. There are moments when i get an ok sort of responsiveness. But the playbook seriously needs to be heavily optimized! The UI is just too chunky

- I rarely click the battery indicator and get an immediate response.

- When i click some apps they don't fire away immediately. Sometimes go dim for a fraction of a second before it initiate the app, then i have to wait on the animation, and like inside videos, pictures and music... i have to stare at the background for an additional 4 seconds.

- The keyboard... might as well i launch remote control to avoid it. Again there are times when its ok but majority its lagging behind my every touch, worse when i enable the predictions feature...another chunky feature.

- Inside Settings. Again not very responsive. Especially in the about section. I feel sometimes i have to be waiting on the PB to make its mind up.

- The browser! The reason i decide to let it all out. I feel im keeping a secret, because i dont wish my baby to get scrutinized any more than it already is. I was trying my best to wait it out, keep telling myself that better is coming, the playbook is young... but OMG... jesus of nazareth does it laggg. Honestly do the people that work for RIM own a playbook? Id be ashamed to tell any of my friends that i helped created that browser. HTML 5 scores are all fine and dandy. But its pointless given the lagg fiesta!!!! They should abandon tabbed browsing all together. I think imma invest in dolphin browser, simple browser and secure browser so as to not use tabs! just open separate windows. Every limited feature that it has laggs! the tabs, history, bookmarks... i keep having to wait until they decide to respond.

Notice im not griping about the lacking features of the playbook (bookmark manager, files manager, equilizer and the host of others) Just give me polished speedy executions and ill glady forget about all that is missing.

I honestly dont advocate the playbook with practical demonstrations because i dont know when else it might act up and then gets bad criticism. I wish Throsten Himself could read my frustrations, because im not going anywhere ... imma have my playbook for a long time and my BB10 phone when it comes, but im seriously starting to worry. Im on my playbook 24/7, honestly id like to meet the person that uses a playbook more than me so RIM take it from me! It needs work, work, work.
    All you describe is very unusual.

=> Can you please give your PB OS version ? (oops was in latest post)

Some routine check, maybe :
    1/ Flush all the cache from your browser (swipe down w/ browser open - settings - privacy and security: bottom right button "clear all")
    2/ In settings/About : what is the amount of free memory ?
    3/ Give your PB a full restart : stop it (hold power button for approx. 10 seconds until full black - no led) wait for 1 minute and start it.
    4/ Do you have Android or sideloaded apps ?

Better ?
    Arf, no ?

Time for a backup and an OS reinstall, I believe.
    1/ Connect to Desktop Manager with PB ON
    2/ Execute the backup (or you'll lose your personal data)
    3/ Hit the battery and then the "restart" icon
    4/ Wait until the DM prompt for "unable to connect device" and offers the "repair" option.
    5/ Hit repair and follow the instructions (I suggest you DO NOT remove the USB cable until PB ends booting : may take a while)

P.S: I believe a wipe won't be enough ... so while at it, a "back to birthday suit" sounds a better option.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-26-12 at 02:16 PM.
    07-26-12 02:13 PM
    Well that looks like a really convenient process and all, but my Playbook won't (and has never) been willing to backup. Every version of the BDM returns an error - unable to backup. I've been through all the threads about this issue and had no luck resolving it.

So my options are live with a laggy device, or wipe it and start fresh installing everything from scratch?

Lame.

**Edit to add: Not meaning to be Snarky with you Superfly_FR; I appreciate the advice - I've just gotten a bit frustrated with these issues. Your process may work for the OP if he's able to backup his device.
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 07-26-12 at 03:47 PM.
    07-26-12 03:30 PM
    All you describe is very unusual.
    Uh, no. I have the precise same problems that the OP has a lot of the time. All of them. So do a number of other people who've chimed in here.

That some people's PBs are running just fine is not the point. Is the OP lying? Am I lying? Are the others who've said they've experienced this lying?

Of course not.

I know I can do the things you suggest to (attempt to) rectify the problems, and I've done all but the wipe and getting rid of the 2-3 Android apps I have. No real improvement.

I'll get around to the wipe eventually, but obviously, it's a pain because there's no guarantee. And even if there were, the bottom line is this: what average consumer is going to want to buy a device that may well need to be wiped regularly (or have some other series of fixes routinely done) in order to run properly?
    digtech, app_Developer and Gerii like this.
    07-26-12 03:54 PM
    Well, I'm one of those who's never notice any lag. The incredible responsiveness of the UI is one of the greatest things about my PB.

Well, it's great for showing off the unit to users of other platforms. The slick, responsive, UI has never failed to impress. It's even changed more than one persons opinion of RIM and the PlayBook.

Yes, the UI alone was enough to astonish more than a few iOS and Android users.

I've never wiped the device, cleared the browser cache or any of the other maintenance tasks other users here recommended. It's always just worked for me, and worked incredibly well.

My wife also has a PlayBook and has not experienced any lag or other problems with her tablet (my browser has locked on occasion, hers has not)

Just for fun, to answer the question of the user above:
    what average consumer is going to want to buy a device that may well need to be wiped regularly (or have some other series of fixes routinely done) in order to run properly?
    Anyone who has ever wanted a personal computer, a car, or any other common device that requires regular maintenance.
    07-26-12 05:56 PM
    Anyone who has ever wanted a personal computer, a car, or any other common device that requires regular maintenance.
    Sure, if every other similar model from other manufacturers requires the same type of maintenance.

Nobody wants a personal computer, car or any other common device that requires significantly more effort to maintain than other products in the same class. Would you be very interested in a new car that requires an oil change every 50 miles?
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 07-26-12 at 06:37 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-26-12 06:35 PM
    Since when is a security wipe requiring one to reinstall all of one's apps and backup and restore dozens of gigabytes of data "regular maintenance"?
    07-26-12 06:45 PM
    Since when is a security wipe requiring one to reinstall all of one's apps and backup and restore dozens of gigabytes of data "regular maintenance"?

Before that, you were usually dealing with less than 1GB.

Oh, and a wipe/reinstsall seems to be necessary for a astonishingly small number of PB users, so let's get that out of the way now. The rest of us have enjoyed our PB virtually problem free since we took it out of the box.
    undone likes this.
    07-26-12 08:23 PM

Before that, you were usually dealing with less than 1GB.

Oh, and a wipe/reinstsall seems to be necessary for a astonishingly small number of PB users, so let's get that out of the way now. The rest of us have enjoyed our PB virtually problem free since we took it out of the box.
    I must have missed the survey results revealing that only an "astonishingly small number" of PB users have any of these problems. Mind providing a link? And what is "astonishingly small"? Two percent? Twenty percent?

Oh, and thanks for the history lesson. I come from a time when a 512KB floppy was viewed as a giant leap forward in the storage department. I'm currently on my tenth iteration of PCs since 1985, and it has been my good fortune to never have had performance issues with any of those PCs that required me to "wipe" and reinstall and restore. For that matter, I've never had to do so with any of the half-dozen or so BBs I've owned. Guess my luck just happened to run out with the PB.
    07-27-12 06:44 AM
    its about time someone admitted the playbook's UI is laggy/slow. hopefully bb 10 on the phones wont be like that.
    If this problem exists, it exists on only a few devices otherrwise we'd be hearing a lot more complaints. If one thing is true, people on Crackberry are the World Champions st complaining.

My PB has none of the problems mentioned in the OP. The lag problems that do exist have been well commented on and are all caused by Adobe Air. Thank goodness BB10 is not built on Air. If it was I would not even be thinking of getting a BB10 phone.
    07-27-12 08:45 AM
    Uh, no. I have the precise same problems that the OP
    Most people DON'T have these problem. Otherwise it would be HUGE news. Just because you have a problem doesn't mean the world or every other PB owner does.

When do you know there is a huge problem? When it get reported. Think Antenna Gate.

The real joke there was when Steve Jobs wouldn't accept the issue and said Blackberries had the same issue. Sorry Steve at that point in time there were millions of blackberries in the wild without the issue being reported. This is the definition of a non-issue. When your phone is reported on netowrk TV as having reciption issues that means the issue exists.
    07-27-12 08:51 AM
    I'll just say yes mine has the lag at times, nothing constant or that often but yes it happens. As for pc's I've had to reinstall many systems or use system restore on them for people, mainly because of malware or viri that was left to reproduce too long before them noticing anything was wrong until things just don't work.
    07-27-12 08:51 AM
    I've experienced none of the problems OP has and considering that the number of users who have had problems like these, which are very small compared to how many PB are out there, it's safe to say that there is something wrong with their device itself, not the Playbook itself.

Do a swipe, get an RMA, or even exchange the unit if you still are in the time frame. But whatever you do, do not brand all PB's with the problems you happen to be experiencing.

Hope you get the issues resolved!
    07-27-12 10:02 AM
    PB laggy? You bet! Its a disgrace.

I'm currently out of town, along with my PB and ipod. Need both as i'm in the middle of some compli cated flight arrangements withmy travel agent back home and use the ipod for skype an pb for its larger screen. Without a doubt the pb is slower all round. For example, it took about a minute to sign into crackberry. Why? For all the same reasons the OP mentioned but especially the keyboard appearing only after you swipe it a second time (due to a long wait) only to have disappear, forcing me to do it all over. And this is standard procedure. Email is a disaster. My shawmail accounts come and go. Only my gmail is always there. Or at least always there when email is working. It crashes regularly, though fortunately not forcing a reboot this time, as is often the case. Thank god for my ipod. Email is rock solid, unit never crashes, virtually no lag for anything i want to do. Its only fault is screen size and need to close apps to launch another.

Frankly, i don't believe posters who claim they see no lag. There are just too many of us willing to admit it. And we all have the same hardware and OS.

I could never consider the PB as a working substitute for my laptop. Its just too glitchy and laggy for serious work. And though i haven't tried an ipad, if it works as well as my ipod (and there's no reason to think otherwise) but with the addition of running multi apps and a large screen, i would have no problem taking it on the road for real work. And that appears to be the real difference between thr pb and the ipad. One is fine for occasional but not critical work and email, and for music and movies; the other you can treat as a super portable laptop.

It's too bad rim does not appear interested in ironing out these what amount to quirks and glitches because if they did respect what they produce, they'd have a market killer. So close but yet so far. If it's any indication of their approach to BB10, they should put a for sale sign on the company now and let someone who cares run the store.
    07-27-12 10:16 AM
    I have a feeling it's the AIR apps. USUALLY my PB is snappy and smooth but as soon as I have a pdf open in Acrobat even rotating through the carousel of apps becomes jerky. I do face some issues with the lag in the browser as well.

AIR apps are a resource hog. I suspect if you open multiple apps that are only native you won't suffer such lag.
    Not so. I'm only running the browser and the problems are ther. Actually, i dont find the pdf player a problem.
    07-27-12 10:19 AM
196 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD