Anybody who denies the existence of the problems the OP mentions is lying through their teeth. Just because you don't experience them doesn't mean they don't exist. And if you don't care about them, or think a mountain is being made out of a molehill, there are countless other threads here at CB in which you can be a useless presence. I suggest you go to one of them straightaway.
    Sounds like it's taken a beating, even though no one called anyone a liar.
    Say what???????????????????
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook's UI overall laggs unbearably!-what.jpg  
    07-29-12 11:47 PM
    Simple incident.. I use TubeMate to download videos.. Even though TubeMate offers the option to watch YouTube videos through the application itself, the application is not reliable enough for the same task. Hence, I use the Browser to watch YouTube videos on YouTube.com via Bridge 3G.

Another problem is that when TubeMate is running, the native Video player will lag and pause videos in the middle. So I just shut TubeMate when I want to watch videos.

These are minor flaws.. Nothing major to make an issue out of.. like many in here will do so.. I expect these to disappear soon.. but I'm happy that I'm able to do most of this in the first place.

You assumption might be that it should be flawless like every other OS but you will be surprised at the limitations of the 'other OS'. No arguments here.. I'm just saying I did this through Bridge.
    I think that's a little condescending actually.

Just FYI, I know how to use my PB just fine thanks.

We have in our household 3 Ipads, 1 Iphone, 1 Samsung Galaxy S3, 1 Playbook and 1 Asus slate running Windows 8RP. My PB is easily the least polished and most laggy/buggy of these devices. Its frustrating, because, when it works well, its my favourite one.
    07-30-12 12:01 AM
    Sashlon, I'm not denying the issue here.. But I don't own any other tablet besides the PlayBook and I use my PlayBook alot! It's getting my work done.. It's getting what I want done.

It's the level of simplicity that causes the lags and bugs. Would I want to ignore this fact? You can't have everything.. If it did.. RIM would be on the top right?

My point here is to just get over it.. Really 9 pages dedicated to 0.2 seconds of lag..
    07-30-12 12:14 AM
    Is this really still going on? Well, it's kind of obvious that the PlayBook OS UI is not the smoothest out there.. but all I want to say is that.. You frankly need to learn how to use it. This does not mean the lag will disappear.. it just means that you will learn to see past the lag and enjoy using the device.
    Well according to some of our crackberry mates their playbook's function and is as smooth as any tablet out there and they have never experienced that which we speak of. That is why those of Us who do encounter these issues are trying to diagnose the source.

Looking pass the lagg is the reason i delayed starting this thread, but as you say it doesnt necessarily disappear, and now its starting to rub me the wrong way. Come this week, if there is no 2.1 update ill simply go ahead and wipe, back up and restore it.
    07-30-12 12:20 AM
    Well according to some of our crackberry mates their playbook's function and is as smooth as any tablet out there and they have never experienced that which we speak of. That is why those of Us who do encounter these issues are trying to diagnose the source.

Looking pass the lagg is the reason i delayed starting this thread, but as you say it doesnt necessarily disappear, and now its starting to rub me the wrong way. Come this week, if there is no 2.1 update ill simply go ahead and wipe, back up and restore it.
    Haha you know.. I'm also one of those who thinks that the PlayBook is 'not as smooth' but infact the smoothest of all other OS. It has a different feeling to it.. Like you are moving on Glass. You need an eye to understand this.. and when you do.. you will be noticing things beyond the lag.
    07-30-12 12:27 AM
    Experiment with Options - general - application behavior. I switched mine to Showcase after reading another post that recommended it.
    07-30-12 12:30 AM
    @varunsain Yea i know what you mean. The multitasking carousel gives me that feeling "moving on glass" ... As i said, i use the homescreen as my safe haven... The app tray UI is flawless. Scrapbook with all its 60fps beauty is just magical
    07-30-12 12:56 AM
    You can even disable Javascript (at the risk of losing out advertisements!) .. Do not run buggy Android applications.. Do not run several applications.. But even then the OS might lag sometime or the other..

The OS is just not completely made yet.. Hope you get that..
    07-30-12 01:01 AM
    @varunsain Yea i know what you mean. The multitasking carousel gives me that feeling "moving on glass" ... As i said, i use the homescreen as my safe haven... The app tray UI is flawless. Scrapbook with all its 60fps beauty is just magical
    Expect everything to be Scrapbook like verrrrrrrrrrrrry SOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-30-12 01:03 AM
    The one thing Research In Motion did correctly was ensuring a responsive user interface on the BlackBerry PlayBook. Any lags that I experienced, a rarity on the order of Sasquatch sightings, were attributable to the BlackBerry Android Player subsystem. I give credit where credit is due.
    07-30-12 01:06 AM
    I bought my PB in january, on the advice of a co-worker. Initially all I wanted if for was to play movies and listen to music.

Since I've had it it is extremely handy to have around due to its size but I do agree that it is very frustrating that it lags so much. I have done about 10 security wipes and it hasn't fixed the problem.

The lag is more than a few seconds 90% of the time. Browser and especially email are very laggy. I try and do a task like erase an email and it takes forever to load the email and then and only then can I erase it and even then I have to hit delete 2-3 times before anything happens.

Overall I love the PB when it is running smoothly but overall it will is very laggy and I barely have any apps on it. I DO not recommend this to my friends.

My 2 cents.
    07-30-12 01:49 AM
    Mate,

I think there's a problem with your PlayBook.

I tried all of your mentioned settings on my Playbook and it responds instantly.

Battery level - instant.
    Setting under "about" - instant.
    Launching pictures etc - virtually instant.
    Browser, keyboard etc etc - all good.

Now, areas that DO show lag include App World (has always been a little jittery) and sometimes the native mail client when launched for the first time. Other than that, the core system should be silky smooth.

What software version are you running?
    Have you verified if any of these issues exist on another PlayBook? Is there one you can try?
    Compare it with the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 7" tablet and you will see the Playbook is painfully laggy compared to the Sammy $250.00 tablet I just picked up.
    07-30-12 02:59 AM
    I rather have the lag than wake up and see the ugliness of an Android.
    07-30-12 03:16 AM
    I rather have the lag than wake up and see the ugliness of an Android.
    *Shrugs* Wake up to the real nightmare ... Little green robot.
    07-30-12 03:34 AM
    Over 10 posts from one person since yesterday on this thread.

Does Crackberry award prizes for the most extensive floggings of dead horses.
    I realize you've only been here for a month, but if you spend time here and/or go through other device subforums, you will see that some people take the time report on their attempts to diagnose and repair problems in real time. I've done that on a number of occasions with the 9810 and other devices.

For what it's worth, I am on the official OS and haven't sideloaded any Android apps. I do not experience lag. (Of course I say that at the risk of being called a liar - again).
    Do you not get it? Nobody says you are lying when you say your device runs as smooth as butter and is the bee's knees. It's when you, and one particular other poster who also adds bubkes to this thread, insinuate that those who do have problems with their PB are full of crap.

In any event, I added two of the half-dozen or so sideloaded Android apps I'd had before I wiped (which restored my horribly laggy PB to butterness, more or less). I also sideloaded the version of Runtime that came with the original 2.0 update, since one of the two Android apps I sideloaded back (NY Times -- the other one is Kindle) won't run on version of Runtime that came with 2.0.1.

I've only checked the browser, and that only here on CB, but the lag has not returned. I've not (yet) restored the 55GB or so of music I'd had on my PB, though.

I should also add that I did not backup in Desktop Manager before I wiped. To my mind, that ran the risk of whatever it was that was causing lag simply being backed up and restored.
    07-30-12 06:57 AM
    Nopes didnt have the beta
    Sideloaded a few most of which didnt work, a couple did (msn, words with friends, Mupen N64 emulator) deleted all but words with friends.
    Merely upgrade? Whatever that means... I updated from 1.8 - 2.0 (stable and worked), updated again (2.0.1 stable initially which after awhile slowed down)

All in all, i simply think the OS needs to be optimised and at the moment RIM is redirecting its resources and efforts on BB10. However, they should be careful not to loose the few playbook owners that they have, who have tasted what QNX has to offer and hopefully wont regret it.
    Some of your problems may be from the sideloading of Android Apps. I don't have any first hand experience, but there have been some threads about Android apps leaving a bunch of temp files around even after uninstalling them.

My suggestion is to backup your PlayBook and then do a security wipe. You may want to not restore from a backup, but just copy the files from the PlayBook to a computer and then copy them back. With this method, you can only copy files (photos, videos, documents,etc) in the user file system and will loose a lot of the application data in the protected part of the file system. To restore the Apps, just download them from AppWorld again. Try it for a few days without any sideloaded Android Apps, then install them one by one testing for a day or so to see if any are causing the lag.

The other option will be to wait until the next OS update and see if that automatically cleans things up.

We really need a utility from RIM to clear these problems up so we don't need to resort to a security wipe every now and then.
    07-30-12 07:26 AM
    I guess it's just a matter of putting up with things.. For some even a minor flaw can be a very big issue.. This is a completely useless thread.. filled with ppl complaining about the playbook..

How is anything good going to come out of this?
    07-30-12 07:37 AM
    I guess it's just a matter of putting up with things.. For some even a minor flaw can be a very big issue.. This is a completely useless thread.. filled with ppl complaining about the playbook..

How is anything good going to come out of this?
    While I don't like android or apple which also have their own issues, what will come of this? Probably nothing unless RIM is reading. I don't see it as only complaining. I see it as asking why and is there any fix beyond a wipe and if not why isn't there and when will there be?

I love my pb even with the issues that NEED to be addressed and fixed. Yes there are issues. There are issues with all OS's and if there are deal breakers you either hope they are fixed in short order or you move on to something you can deal with the issues on.

If my cars breaks are grinding and I ignore it they will not be fixed and I'll end up in a wreck.
    07-30-12 08:20 AM
    I have none of those problems, everything is instant except typing in the full facebook website, as it's trying to detect links and tags and stuff. But I haven't noticed any lag at all... and I don't count an app's boot time as lag.

Not in denial man, I have seen iOS lag out on occasion as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Crackberry Forums App.
    07-30-12 08:20 AM
    I've never had any problems at all with my PlayBook and I have had it for over a year, since launch. It has been my workhorse and I use it very heavily. I guess I could be called an "abuser" haha. Never froze, lagged, crashed or anything. Very happy with my PlayBook. It has been an extremely smooth experience for me. Sorry about your's OP
    07-30-12 08:24 AM

The Highlight highlights the issue. That's why I tried asking that series of questions. What sorts out the reason there is lag on some systems and not on others. What's running, what's installed, how much of what types of files?
    07-30-12 08:33 AM
    The Highlight highlights the issue. That's why I tried asking that series of questions. What sorts out the reason there is lag on some systems and not on others. What's running, what's installed, how much of what types of files?
    1. PB was wiped, debricked before installing the last official.

2. According to "about" I have 88 apps, 1 music, 2 video, 52 pics and 2 docs.

3. 1 @live.com account setup using EAS in the native email client.

4. Nothing sideloaded and think the only android app is picshop.

5. Email is closed until I open it and I close it out again when done.

6. I've seen lag when touching the power, wifi, bt icons at the top, in the browser when typing etc. Nothing as sever or as often as some.

7. The lag is not constant for me but yes it happens sometimes. From reading here it happens much less than some others.
    07-30-12 09:00 AM
    Hardly any media on mine. It's been wiped, debricked etc several times. Still happens at times. Usually a reboot and clear all helps. Have had it since last year July.
    I have never done the Swipe thing, but have done reboots. I also have lags with the keyboard when using the browser. Also, the browser appears to be very slow when loading any pages. My wife's iPad is much faster than the PB in this respect. I have had my PB since November 2011. BTW I still love my PB.
    07-30-12 10:30 AM
    I'm not calling anyone a liar in this thread because I may just be lucky, or you may just be unlucky. That being said, I never ever have any UI lag on my PlayBook. Everything is, and always has been, instant. The only lag I have ever seen is when I use Google's instant search, the typing is painfully lagged. I'm not sure if that is a Google thing or a PlayBook thing, but it is annoying as . Other than that, I never have UI lag.

If you want to call the delay in loading emails UI lag, then sure I'll admit I get that, but that isn't a UI issue at all. The email program (and calendar) need some serious improvement, but they at least get the job done at this point.
    07-30-12 11:22 AM
    If you want to call the delay in loading emails UI lag, then sure I'll admit I get that, but that isn't a UI issue at all. The email program (and calendar) need some serious improvement, but they at least get the job done at this point.
    I don't use the native email anymore, just Bridge. I did notice some pauses lag when using native email. I don't mean when in the email program just in general use of the PlayBook. I just assumed it was the native email fetching mail in the background that may have slowed things down. The native email and multiple accounts syncing may be causing the lag for some of the users.

Currently, I typically only see lag occasionally on the keyboard. I don't know if it is OS related or perhaps related to specific web pages.
    07-30-12 01:08 PM
196 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD