I've experienced none of the problems OP has and considering that the number of users who have had problems like these, which are very small compared to how many PB are out there, it's safe to say that there is something wrong with their device itself, not the Playbook itself.

Do a swipe, get an RMA, or even exchange the unit if you still are in the time frame. But whatever you do, do not brand all PB's with the problems you happen to be experiencing.

Hope you get the issues resolved!
    You can't jump to the conclusion that something is wrong with the device itself just because only a few people have the issue. To me it looks like a general problem with the software but only a few have it because of the way they use their PlayBook.
    From my experience it happens after using the PlayBook for some months while constantly putting new media files onto the device (and deleting some). Most of the times it started to lag after putting a lot of files on it in one chunk (e.g. adding 800 new photos to the existing ones).

It would be nice if others who have or had the problem would report on how they use their PlayBook (especially regarding how often they transfer media files and if they can relate a transfer to when it started lagging)
    07-27-12 11:20 AM
    Hardly any media on mine. It's been wiped, debricked etc several times. Still happens at times. Usually a reboot and clear all helps. Have had it since last year July.
    07-27-12 11:25 AM
    For example, it took about a minute to sign into crackberry. Why? For all the same reasons the OP mentioned but especially the keyboard appearing only after you swipe it a second time (due to a long wait) only to have disappear, forcing me to do it all over. And this is standard procedure.
    Yup. This. It's happened more times than I can count.

Cue the lucky ones responding that they never have a problem like this.

Whatever the percentage of PBs that have this problem -- "astonishingly small," a minority, a majority, or all of them -- the fact remains that there IS a problem. One that most people would have no idea how to address if they encountered it.

People have been complaining about it here, and perhaps more would complain if they didn't feel they would be jumped on as a liar or troll by the whole slew of noobs who've joined CB in the year plus since the PB came out.

It used to be that if BB users had a problem with their device, they could come here on CB, talk about their problem, and any one of a number of helpful posters would give them sound advice on how to fix the problem. I've helped that way countless times.

Now, you will more often than not just get a defensive "I never have that problem, my PB is perfection incarnate and runs smooth as butter." I think Superfly was the only one who tried to be helpful to the OP.

So to those people with perfect PBs: Congratulations. I'm happy for you. But unless you have constructive advice to offer, it is decidedly unhelpful to post here arguing with people whose PBs are clearly not perfect.
    look_alive and FeitaInc like this.
    07-27-12 11:26 AM
    You can't jump to the conclusion that something is wrong with the device itself just because only a few people have the issue. To me it looks like a general problem with the software but only a few have it because of the way they use their PlayBook.
    From my experience it happens after using the PlayBook for some months while constantly putting new media files onto the device (and deleting some). Most of the times it started to lag after putting a lot of files on it in one chunk (e.g. adding 800 new photos to the existing ones).

It would be nice if others who have or had the problem would report on how they use their PlayBook (especially regarding how often they transfer media files and if they can relate a transfer to when it started lagging)
    Now this is constructive. I filled my PB up almost immediately with as much of my music as I could fit -- I have more music than 64GB will hold -- and last time I checked, with 2-3 movies also on board, I had maybe only about 5-6 GB free. I also have several Android apps sideloaded.

Neither of these things strike me as abnormal, and I have no idea how they could possibly affect things like the keyboard not coming up in the browser when the cursor is placed in a form and/or when you do a lower left corner swipe, or the battery/settings notification bar being unresponsive.
    07-27-12 11:33 AM
    I know that if you have Javascript ON, then you have to wait for the entire page to load or the keyboard will open/close as some are reporting. Crackberry is quite slow as they must have a ton of javascript stuff running on their pages.

Frankly, I would love it if CB allowed the narrow view you get when NOT logged in - makes a much better/easier viewing experience when zoomed. But as soon as I want to reply or post, I have to log in and lose what I consider a better view of the site. And I do not necessarily like the mobile site on the pb.
    07-27-12 11:51 AM
    I have 5.5 gigs of music, over 1,000 tunes in 105 folders

5.5 gigs of photos, 3,300 in 28 folders (not including camera folder)

21gigs of video, 72 files, 3 folders

380megs of various docs in 17 folders, 286 files

The misc folder has 36gigs, 6,400 files in 400+ folders (this obviously includes all of those mirrored media files)

189 apps including a quite a number of sideloaded apps.

I really do not notice lags.

Official OS2 (beta is on the 32g pb).
    07-27-12 12:03 PM
    I usually add files by accessing the playbook's drive on the PC, and simply drag and drop. I find that this is rather convenient, especially since syncing through desktop software takes forever. Some music/Youtube videos i download directly to the playbook, and using Air Browser or Files and Folders i cut and paste them to their correct folders. i currently have 15.6G/59.4G, with the majority of space being utilized by video files. I have two android apps, one downloaded through app world (Bible), the other sideloaded (Words with friends), both works without glitch. I cannot recall this much lagg in any of the previous OS... OS 1.8 i think i only used for 1 month, and OS 2.0 seemed pretty stable if memory serves correct. Over Time ive experienced one and two issue but they were never this significant.

In waiting for 2.1 to do a security wipe, im trying to find a few solutions to remedy these problems. Ive deleted apps that i dont frequently use including some of the ones that came pre installed i.e. facebook, twitter, accessories store. I have also disabled the predictive feature on the keyboard, limit my email sync to only one account.
    07-27-12 12:21 PM

The misc folder has 36gigs, 6,400 files in 400+ folders (this obviously includes all of those mirrored media files)

You sound like a power user. Look like PlayBook will stand up to my use then
    07-27-12 12:23 PM
    The only time I experienced any real lag with my PB was when I bridged it through my Torch phone (9800) or had a weak wifi signal. I occasionally have to tap on a link more than once, but that may be more a function of the screen size or my finger being too large to hit a small link accurately. I recently upgraded to a 9900 phone and this morning I browsed on the PB through the bridge and had no noticeable lag at all.

There is a lag when I open my email app or the podcast app or a few o f the other apps, but that's nothing I can't live with so far. Overall I don't find the PB particularly laggy.
    07-27-12 01:43 PM
    Well, to wade in on this topic I would have to say that my PB has on occassion demonstrated lagginess, but my observations of that is it becomes more accute when I have many apps open, and where some are doing work in the background. I am also connected to my corporate network so it does become more evident when that is open, I have 2 personal emails, facebook, linkdin and one business email account, I would suspect that while open this would consume some of the resourses keeping it upto the minute.

What I have found seems to keep the PB operating smoothly is to limit the number of apps open at one time, how many should one need anyway, and in particular I keep the email client closed when I don't need it, the notifications in upper left of the screen let me know when I need to check it.

The multi tasking aspect of the PB is great and I use it, but remember it will slow it down, try turning it off and see if that helps.
    07-27-12 01:44 PM

OK, so it's not filling up storage on the 64GB or sideloading apps. I'm not sure what else it could be. I can't believe that there are just some "bad" PBs -- particularly with some of these problems coming and going.

Do you have no lags whatsoever, F2? I mean, the native mail app always lags, i.e., never opens instantaneously. There's always a lag in opening the browser, too -- mainly the dark screen before the home page or list of bookmarks (finally) appears.
    07-27-12 02:15 PM
    I have had a PB since launch and never had lag issues. Mine issues are related to connecting to my wifi (which I am pretty sure is the wifi not the PB). Anyway, reason I mention the wifi, have you tested it with the wifi off? You could possibly be saturating the wifi or having dropped packets. Sounds nutty even if the apps arent 'using' the network, but its one place you can test quickly.

My guess is the mix of apps your using is producing some bottle neck whether on the network, os or even the storage that makes the system burp. Or in a much more crappy view you have failing hardware ie storage, memory or processor.
    07-27-12 02:52 PM
    There are times, mine will start being a little sluggish (usually android apps getting stuck). But usually a restart will get it back in line (Android Task Killer does not always work).

My biggest problem is with opening PDF files. A large file (5-10 MB - is large for the PB) will really cause the PlayBook to freeze up at times when trying to zoom in and out. The Graphs on some of these HD Games that are out look really good on the PlayBook screen. But when I want to WORK, the PlayBook is not always up to the task.
    07-27-12 03:09 PM
    You sound like a power user. Look like PlayBook will stand up to my use then
    While I really like my pb, it does have its issues. They have been covered many times - my pet peeves are the way it ignores folders (other than the Photo/Picture app) when trying to open items or email items. Bookmark handling or lack thereof in the Browser. No search on a webpage.

But it does a splendid job in many media display functions. Nice screen, speakers, cameras.
    07-27-12 03:11 PM
    OK, so it's not filling up storage on the 64GB or sideloading apps. I'm not sure what else it could be. I can't believe that there are just some "bad" PBs -- particularly with some of these problems coming and going.

Do you have no lags whatsoever, F2? I mean, the native mail app always lags, i.e., never opens instantaneously. There's always a lag in opening the browser, too -- mainly the dark screen before the home page or list of bookmarks (finally) appears.
    As best I could time the Browser opening MY homepage, a file stored on the pb, about 4 seconds. Is that a lag? Mostly, I use SimpleBrowser+ or Secure.

I don't really use the native email (due to the Manual sync battery eating bug) although I did finally re-add my gmail account to it last week. Okay, Native gmail account - it does take about 8 seconds to go from gray to showing and another 3 or 4 seconds to show the messages. I guess that is lag of some sought.

But then again, maybe I'm old and slow and remember using a dialup modem and and Osborne computer. And my pb seems much faster then the IBM 360's I use to program.
    07-27-12 03:18 PM
    PB laggy? You bet! Its a disgrace.

I'm currently out of town, along with my PB and ipod. Need both as i'm in the middle of some compli cated flight arrangements withmy travel agent back home and use the ipod for skype an pb for its larger screen. Without a doubt the pb is slower all round. For example, it took about a minute to sign into crackberry. Why? For all the same reasons the OP mentioned but especially the keyboard appearing only after you swipe it a second time (due to a long wait) only to have disappear, forcing me to do it all over. And this is standard procedure. Email is a disaster. My shawmail accounts come and go. Only my gmail is always there. Or at least always there when email is working. It crashes regularly, though fortunately not forcing a reboot this time, as is often the case. Thank god for my ipod. Email is rock solid, unit never crashes, virtually no lag for anything i want to do. Its only fault is screen size and need to close apps to launch another.

Frankly, i don't believe posters who claim they see no lag. There are just too many of us willing to admit it. And we all have the same hardware and OS.

I could never consider the PB as a working substitute for my laptop. Its just too glitchy and laggy for serious work. And though i haven't tried an ipad, if it works as well as my ipod (and there's no reason to think otherwise) but with the addition of running multi apps and a large screen, i would have no problem taking it on the road for real work. And that appears to be the real difference between thr pb and the ipad. One is fine for occasional but not critical work and email, and for music and movies; the other you can treat as a super portable laptop.

It's too bad rim does not appear interested in ironing out these what amount to quirks and glitches because if they did respect what they produce, they'd have a market killer. So close but yet so far. If it's any indication of their approach to BB10, they should put a for sale sign on the company now and let someone who cares run the store.
    WOW! That's a bold statement. You're pretty much calling us all LIARS!! Apparently, since it's happening to a "few", then that automatically means it's happening to all! If that's the case, every single tablet on this planet has lag............

IPAD 3 Should there be lag on the new ipad??

Galaxy Tab 2 http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...-more-lag.html

Nexus 7 http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...-problems.html

So using your analogy, since these FEW folks are complaining about lag, it means that EVERY ONE that owns those tables MUST be experiencing lag, even though they are saying otherwise.

Makes sense to me
    07-27-12 07:47 PM
    Give it a rest, will you? Just because he makes one over the top statement in a post otherwise full of what I assure you are legitimate gripes is no reason to call him out and prolong the bickering. You have something helpful to add to this thread, fine. Otherwise, it doesn't need any more defenders of the ostensibly perfect PlayBook you and some -- not all -- of the others have.

It just took me the usual unwarranted amount of time to load up the browser (I use Simple Browser+ too, F2, but I'm running the native browser now to check things). CB took a while to load, too, as usual, with the blue bar hanging about 90% of the way through, giving me checkerboarding when I tried to scroll down in what seemed to be a fully loaded page. When I started to type here, nothing showed up on screen for the first dozen letters I typed, and then then these characters suddenly spilled forth in a staccato machine gun burst.

I just cleared the cache earlier, so that is obviously not the problem. I'm finally going to do a security wipe -- at this point, I don't care about the 55 GB or so of music I'll have to restore because for the past 5 months since OS 2, I rarely use it with none of the playlists functioning properly (a bonafide and shabby bug everyone definitely has, and which is indefensible). I will report back later with a fresh PB, and we'll see what's what.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    07-27-12 08:08 PM
    Give it a rest, will you? Just because he makes one over the top statement in a post otherwise full of what I assure you are legitimate gripes is no reason to call him out and prolong the bickering. You have something helpful to add to this thread, fine. Otherwise, it doesn't need any more defenders of the ostensibly perfect PlayBook you and some -- not all -- of the others have.

It just took me the usual unwarranted amount of time to load up the browser (I use Simple Browser+ too, F2, but I'm running the native browser now to check things). CB took a while to load, too, as usual, with the blue bar hanging about 90% of the way through, giving me checkerboarding when I tried to scroll down in what seemed to be a fully loaded page. When I started to type here, nothing showed up on screen for the first dozen letters I typed, and then then these characters suddenly spilled forth in a staccato machine gun burst.

I just cleared the cache earlier, so that is obviously not the problem. I'm finally going to do a security wipe -- at this point, I don't care about the 55 GB or so of music I'll have to restore because for the past 5 months since OS 2, I rarely use it with none of the playlists functioning properly (a bonafide and shabby bug everyone definitely has, and which is indefensible). I will report back later with a fresh PB, and we'll see what's what.
    Give it a rest? He called EVERYONE out
    07-27-12 08:44 PM
    The lag is disgusting... From the time I hit post reply to the first letter typed was about 30 seconds.

Honestly if it wasn't for bridging to my work phone I would have returned this thing... It's pathetic that you would even have to reboot. RIM have flat out proven why they're in trouble just by leaving thePB interest state its in without doing a thing about it.
    07-27-12 09:12 PM
    OK, I've wiped, waited for the furshlugginer update (2.01, I presume) to download and install, sat through the apparently mandatory tutorial, and came directly here. And you know what? The browser is markedly better. Less lag on startup, CB loads with less blue bar hanging, and the keyboard functions flawlessly.

The only problem is I now have to reinstall and restore everything. One should not have to do that -- a reboot should be sufficient. And who knows what things will be like when I have my music and apps restored. We shall see.
    07-27-12 09:24 PM
    The PlayBook does indeed lag. I think even the OS is not running native code... When I tried the new iPad recently it became quite clear how slow and laggy the PlayBook actually is. However, I am confident that this is a code issue.

I'm sure that OS7 2.1 will speed things up...and BB10 even further...the PlayBook has more than enough processing power and memory to not be limited by hardware.
    07-27-12 09:39 PM
    The lag is disgusting... From the time I hit post reply to the first letter typed was about 30 seconds.

Honestly if it wasn't for bridging to my work phone I would have returned this thing... It's pathetic that you would even have to reboot. RIM have flat out proven why they're in trouble just by leaving thePB interest state its in without doing a thing about it.
    I actually see that kind of lag when replying to posts here on CB when using Firefox on my Vista64 homepremium. I will start typing and then no letters appear and then they suddenly do appear in rapid fire. I never know if it is firefox and too many open tabs or CB processing or is it my wifi. I have no idea how to trace that lag. Is CB actually seeing my typed characters as they are being typed into this Reply Box or are they cached by firefox and then shipped into the reply box?
    07-27-12 09:51 PM
    Okay...here are some numbers...all are from hitting the app icon to the app being functional and ready to go:

Native Email: 8 seconds
    Native Calendar: 8 seconds
    Native Contacts: 7 seconds
    App World: 7 seconds
    Video Chat: 10 seconds

Perhaps if everyone did their own tests and we can compare? I think these numbers are really slow. The comparable iPad apps open in 2 or 3 seconds based on my experience.
    07-27-12 10:10 PM
    Okay...here are some numbers...all are from hitting the app icon to the app being functional and ready to go:

Native Email: 8 seconds
    Native Calendar: 8 seconds
    Native Contacts: 7 seconds
    App World: 7 seconds
    Video Chat: 10 seconds

Perhaps if everyone did their own tests and we can compare? I think these numbers are really slow. The comparable iPad apps open in 2 or 3 seconds based on my experience.
    Those numbers more or less comfort with mine, even after wiping. I also have the iPad 3, and I agree, it's quicker, at least with mail, the App Store, and Facetime. The browsers are comparable, however.
    07-27-12 10:17 PM
    Oh Lord! Leave off checking a thread for a day or so and come back to the "I'd prefer to have an iPad but love to hang around here to tell you all how stupid you are"

I must be lying because I don't experience lag. Have I ever experienced anything being a bit slow? Of course - but the same can be said for my computer at work and my desktop at home. Sometimes it's a wifi issue - sometimes it's a cache issue - sometimes there seems to be no reason at all. Is this a constant problem with any of them. Nope! Is it worth posting ad nauseum about something down to the seconds a given task takes? Not even close!

The nit-picking in this thread makes for a boring read. Perhaps some members just don't have enough to do?
    07-27-12 10:38 PM
196 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD