Maybe i need a device wipe or need to back up my playbook but i honestly doubt it. These problems arent by any means new, i just chose to ignore them because of my love for the product. There are moments when i get an ok sort of responsiveness. But the playbook seriously needs to be heavily optimized! The UI is just too chunky

- I rarely click the battery indicator and get an immediate response.

- When i click some apps they don't fire away immediately. Sometimes go dim for a fraction of a second before it initiate the app, then i have to wait on the animation, and like inside videos, pictures and music... i have to stare at the background for an additional 4 seconds.

- The keyboard... might as well i launch remote control to avoid it. Again there are times when its ok but majority its lagging behind my every touch, worse when i enable the predictions feature...another chunky feature.

- Inside Settings. Again not very responsive. Especially in the about section. I feel sometimes i have to be waiting on the PB to make its mind up.

- The browser! The reason i decide to let it all out. I feel im keeping a secret, because i dont wish my baby to get scrutinized any more than it already is. I was trying my best to wait it out, keep telling myself that better is coming, the playbook is young... but OMG... jesus of nazareth does it laggg. Honestly do the people that work for RIM own a playbook? Id be ashamed to tell any of my friends that i helped created that browser. HTML 5 scores are all fine and dandy. But its pointless given the lagg fiesta!!!! They should abandon tabbed browsing all together. I think imma invest in dolphin browser, simple browser and secure browser so as to not use tabs! just open separate windows. Every limited feature that it has laggs! the tabs, history, bookmarks... i keep having to wait until they decide to respond.

Notice im not griping about the lacking features of the playbook (bookmark manager, files manager, equilizer and the host of others) Just give me polished speedy executions and ill glady forget about all that is missing.

I honestly dont advocate the playbook with practical demonstrations because i dont know when else it might act up and then gets bad criticism. I wish Throsten Himself could read my frustrations, because im not going anywhere ... imma have my playbook for a long time and my BB10 phone when it comes, but im seriously starting to worry. Im on my playbook 24/7, honestly id like to meet the person that uses a playbook more than me so RIM take it from me! It needs work, work, work.
    Last edited by digtech; 07-30-12 at 07:40 PM.
    fraynes1, leedium, DX9 and 2 others like this.
    07-25-12 08:25 PM
    Maybe i need a device wipe or need to back up my playbook but i honestly doubt it.
    i can honestly say my playbook is just as smooth as any other tablet out there, and shows none of the symptoms your referencing. for that reason (and im sure others will agree) its probably worth taking your own advice.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-25-12 08:40 PM
    its about time someone admitted the playbook's UI is laggy/slow. hopefully bb 10 on the phones wont be like that.
    fraynes1 likes this.
    07-25-12 08:41 PM
    Mate,

I think there's a problem with your PlayBook.

I tried all of your mentioned settings on my Playbook and it responds instantly.

Battery level - instant.
    Setting under "about" - instant.
    Launching pictures etc - virtually instant.
    Browser, keyboard etc etc - all good.

Now, areas that DO show lag include App World (has always been a little jittery) and sometimes the native mail client when launched for the first time. Other than that, the core system should be silky smooth.

What software version are you running?
    Have you verified if any of these issues exist on another PlayBook? Is there one you can try?
    07-25-12 08:41 PM
    I guess that you got one of the bad ones. My battery indicator launches almost instantaneously. The pictures app fully launches in 2 seconds, Music launches in 3 seconds (1700 tunes), and Videos takes about 3.5 seconds to load (46 vids). That's not too bad, especially considering that Photoshop takes 11 seconds to load on my desktop and itunes takes a full 16 seconds to load (dual core, 2.6 ghz. 3 gig RAM).
    newbiee likes this.
    07-25-12 08:46 PM
    I have all the same issues. Mine was quite a bit snappier when I first upgraded to OS 2.0, and I thought that had solved the issues, but shortly after it's back to the same old stuff.

Sometimes I hit the battery indicator and nothing happens, so I stab it again just as it's starting to open, which closes it. Frustrating. I experience similar lag with all the internal menus, and often with opening and closing the keyboard, or even typing. Sometimes the keyboard will appear to be frozen and then all my text will appear in one big jumble.

I rooted a kindle fire recently and installed Android 4.1; I've been playing around with that and just love the snappy response of the OS, even on the lacklustre Kindle hardware. I really prefer the playbook UI and hope future updates bring a similar responsive feel back to that tablet.
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 07-25-12 at 09:00 PM.
    fraynes1, trinipoco and Lyls like this.
    07-25-12 08:58 PM
    when was the last time you rebooted? I reboot once every 3 ish days just to make sure it stays stable - call me paranoid or oldschool... but it doesn't hurt right?
    rcm1301 likes this.
    07-25-12 09:00 PM
    I have never experienced any lag with Playbook.. Except in the browser ( While searching in google.. I not shut off Flash and Javascript unless I need them and all is good.. )
    I dare say quite a few android devices i've seen on the other hand are laggy (I don't mean the top end ones like Galaxy S2) and well NONE of Apple ones seemed laggy..

But I love the swipe all the way interface of PB to swap it with anything..
    07-25-12 09:01 PM
    i can honestly say my playbook is just as smooth as any other tablet out there, and shows none of the symptoms your referencing. for that reason (and im sure others will agree) its probably worth taking your own advice.
    Thats enough said, i know you are in denial. I was at that stage once. I really didnt want to go there...have you played with an Ipad 2? Then you'd retract that statement. Im not here to compare products, because i want what i want. But When it comes to a polished optimized UI, IOS is the crem de la crem.

So uve never clicked the history tab in browser and it laggs? switching across multiple tabs? closing tabs? using BBM? using Message app? Using App world?.... pssh.

The only part of the playbooks UI thats undeniable snappy is the Home screen, and navigating through the app trays.

Also i shouldnt have to do a device wipe and or back up more than twice evry 6 months
    And my playbook reboots atleast twice a week, mostly for reasons i cannot avoid.

As i said there are moments when its responsive. But times when its just downright frustrating ... i have tried other units as well. While i dont play with them continuosly they exhibit symptoms similar to mine. It might not happen if you try to do it now, but if you can say none of those things ever happen to you.... id say u bought ur unit last week.

I have all the same issues. Mine was quite a bit snappier when I first upgraded to OS 2.0, and I thought that had solved the issues, but shortly after it's back to the same old stuff.
    Same here 2.0 was refreshing and snappy early on and i even posted that im impressed with the browser more than anything but things have changed. Apparently the layer of features that was added to 2.0 werent optimized enough, and the majority is left to the hardware to churn up hill
    Last edited by digtech; 07-25-12 at 09:31 PM.
    fraynes1, leedium and BioDave1955 like this.
    07-25-12 09:13 PM
    Thats enough said, i know you are in denial. I was at that stage once. I really didnt want to go there...have you played with an Ipad 2? Then you'd retract that statement.

So uve never clicked the history tab in browser and it laggs? switching across multiple tabs? closing tabs? using BBM? using Message app? Using App world?.... pssh.

The only part of the playbooks UI thats undeniable snappy is the Home screen, and navigating through the app trays.

Also i should have to do a device wipe and or back up more than twice evry 6 months

As i said there are moments when its responsive. But times when its just downright frustrating ... i have tried other units as well. While i dont play with them continuosly they exhibit symptoms similar to mine. It might not happen if you try to do it now, but if you can say none of those things ever happen to you.... id say u bought ur unit last week
    Funny. A couple of months back, you started a thread about the PB browser, and you said then, and I quote,

"Upon receiving my playbook a month ago, the first thing i went to was the browser. Initial impression of it was that its a pretty awesome browser in all its flash loving glory. Its fast and its quite smooth, pinching and zooming were nice with little to no checker boarding. But the one site that my PB always fell to its knees on was the apple site. I was beginning to think that apple was somehow sabotaging the pb loading the iphone page....whenever i did it was choppy and the slide show was all over the place, ipad 2 had it all smooth out.
    I was FREAKING IMPRESSED!!! when i loaded the site today and the playbook was skimming through the site and its slideshow so smooth it shocked me!! i immediately went for the ipad 2, and OMG playbook just left it in the dust. IT LOOKS EFFORTLESSSSSS!!!! "

I guess you were in denial then.
    lynxs_claw, hpjrt, sagec and 3 others like this.
    07-25-12 09:33 PM
    Funny. A couple of months back, you started a thread about the PB browser, and you said then, and I quote,

"Upon receiving my playbook a month ago, the first thing i went to was the browser. Initial impression of it was that its a pretty awesome browser in all its flash loving glory. Its fast and its quite smooth, pinching and zooming were nice with little to no checker boarding. But the one site that my PB always fell to its knees on was the apple site. I was beginning to think that apple was somehow sabotaging the pb loading the iphone page....whenever i did it was choppy and the slide show was all over the place, ipad 2 had it all smooth out.
    I was FREAKING IMPRESSED!!! when i loaded the site today and the playbook was skimming through the site and its slideshow so smooth it shocked me!! i immediately went for the ipad 2, and OMG playbook just left it in the dust. IT LOOKS EFFORTLESSSSSS!!!! "

I guess you were in denial then.
    Read my post above. Also im not in denial you are confused or not understanding me. i did not once complain about the speed of the browser, its still all of those things, but the UI ELEMENTS. pinching and zooming, and page rendering does not constitute the UI
    07-25-12 09:52 PM
    Sorry you're having problems. I'd love to be able to help you but since I haven't experienced any of your problems, I can't advise you on a solution for you. I have played with an iPad and my PB is as quick if not quicker in some instances.

I hope you find your solution, but in all honesty, I think you are suffering from iPad envy and there's only one remedy for that!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-25-12 09:56 PM
    Take your playbook and bash it. Then fling it out of the window. Or send it to me, either way you will be better off
    07-25-12 09:57 PM
    Nah no envy here. It is what it is. They speak for themselves. I dont need to sell the Ipad 2 short to give the playbook credit. I really like the features more on my playbook, and love that it goes hand in hand with my Bold. But if im to get more out of the tablet I prefer, im going to continue to expect more. No doubt its a building platform, and thats what most PB owners fail to admit, as "beta" testers we ought to admit the flaws to get it done correctly. I gave my two cents and im sure other user feel the same.
    fraynes1 and Lyls like this.
    07-25-12 10:11 PM
    i have to stare at the background for an additional 4 seconds.
    Im on my playbook 24/7
    You may have these problems, but I quoted you on these two points. Waiting 4 seconds? Not really worth the extra 600$ you would need to pay to get an ipad.
    As for being on your playbook 24/7. I am also on it a lot, at night I turn it off and I have no problems with it. Just like everything, it does need to rest a while.
    dbmalloy likes this.
    07-25-12 10:32 PM
    Thats enough said, i know you are in denial. I was at that stage once. I really didnt want to go there...have you played with an Ipad 2? Then you'd retract that statement. Im not here to compare products, because i want what i want. But When it comes to a polished optimized UI, IOS is the crem de la crem.

Also i shouldnt have to do a device wipe and or back up more than twice evry 6 months
    And my playbook reboots atleast twice a week, mostly for reasons i cannot avoid.

As i said there are moments when its responsive. But times when its just downright frustrating ... i have tried other units as well. While i dont play with them continuosly they exhibit symptoms similar to mine. It might not happen if you try to do it now, but if you can say none of those things ever happen to you.... id say u bought ur unit last week.

Same here 2.0 was refreshing and snappy early on and i even posted that im impressed with the browser more than anything but things have changed. Apparently the layer of features that was added to 2.0 werent optimized enough, and the majority is left to the hardware to churn up hill
    Apparently you are in denial about what you need to do. I had the same problem after a couple weeks with my 64gb, but I had been installing the updates to Wesnoth as fast as xsacha was dropping em, and I had filled up all but like 3 or 4 gigs, so I took the advice of fellow forum members and wiped it, then reloaded. 3 or four months later its snappier now than it was, but that's because I loaded 2.1 beta. But before I loaded that it was as snappy as the day I reloaded 2.0. So wipe your device and reinstall. You might not feel you should have to, but what you should have to do and what you do have to do are often completely separate things. Otherwise you're just complaining to complain and I think we have had enough of that around here, its driving people away to less desirable options (n4bb may have a masonic bent to it, the "Boss" as he calls himself mentioned some things that were kinda disturbing to those of us who try and limit masonic influences in our lives, so I am kinda wary of spending much time over there; otherwise it was pretty awesome at first).
    07-25-12 10:58 PM
    I don't question that you are having problems OP. But what is concerning is the fact that you actually believe that if you are having PB issues, everyone else is having the same ones, to the point of accusing them of being in denial. I hope you resolve your problem, both of them.
    07-26-12 12:13 AM
    When i said hes in denial, its referring to his comment "My playbook is as smooth as any tablet out there." i do not believe this is the case at all, frankly i believe it needs some more work.
    07-26-12 01:58 AM
    Keyboard lag is dreadful, made better by not keeping a browser history for more than a day, clear cache etc regularly. A security wipe and reload once a month or so keeps everything else in check. Pity Android apps close by themselves sometimes and take an age to reload sometimes but that's not consistent.

I accept the bugs because it was very cheap. If I wanted something finished I'd have had to pay more. My choice.
    csolis likes this.
    07-26-12 02:13 AM
    I guess that you got one of the bad ones. My battery indicator launches almost instantaneously. The pictures app fully launches in 2 seconds, Music launches in 3 seconds (1700 tunes), and Videos takes about 3.5 seconds to load (46 vids). That's not too bad, especially considering that Photoshop takes 11 seconds to load on my desktop and itunes takes a full 16 seconds to load (dual core, 2.6 ghz. 3 gig RAM).
    My load times are virtually identical to those posted in this quote. I rarely reboot and just use standby the whole time. Maybe reboot once a month at most.
    07-26-12 03:11 AM
    Perhaps some of the Playbooks are worse than the others?

I have 2 Playbooks at home and both of them are very fast. Faster than iPad 2 I have from work from time to time. And I have not, even once, wiped my Playbook clear. I am installing and deleting a lot of apps just to try them. I store a lot of videos on the PB, as I use it when travelling and also at home, as a main playback device, connected by HDMI to my projector. Never had any lag.

I don't experience any lag when clicking the battery (going to standby, I rarely switch off the Playbook), nor when going to settings or any application. The browser's tabs are smooth and fast. The only problem is with complex websites - sometimes I have to wait 2-3 seconds for the page to appear from under the white/grey checkers. But I think this has more to do with my WiFi speed.

However, I have lag problems on my BB phone. Especially with AppWorld. For other people my model is super-fast - I have problems with it. Perhaps the same is with Playbooks? Maybe some people just have bad luck? Or have installed some particular applications that are slowing their system down?
    07-26-12 04:52 AM
    "This forum was built on the principal that each and every member (that's you) is treated with the utmost respect. We are extremely proud of this and feel this is one of the things that differentiates us from other forums.

That said, we have a zero tolerance policy toward individuals who come into the forums just to tear it apart. If you think the PlayBook sucks then try hanging out in your own forum instead. The BlackBerry PlayBook forum is dedicated to PlayBook enthusiasts - not PlayBook haters. If you're stopping by to talk smack and turn people away from the forum you will be asked to leave..."-Adam Zeis

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...forums-655452/
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 07-26-12 at 08:39 AM. Reason: The post that this was directed at was deleted.
    07-26-12 05:04 AM
    Hey guys, this is a REAL issue. Nobody wants to tear the PlayBook apart. I also had it from time to time (*knocks on wood* that it won't happen again), after putting a lot of media files (mostly photos) on it. This didn't happen always, but when it did, even deleting the new files didn't help to bring the performance back. A security wipe was the only way I found to bring it back, but this SHOULDN'T be the solution for any problem.
    As more people seem to have this issue, I hope RIM looks into it to fix it as soon as possible.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...photos-735447/
    @OP: Did the lagging start after putting a lot of files onto your PlayBook?
    Last edited by Gerii; 07-26-12 at 07:07 AM.
    fraynes1 likes this.
    07-26-12 07:04 AM
    To the OP, I'm not sure how many PlayBooks you've tested your unproven theory on, but MY PLAYBOOK has been running smooth and quick since May 2011. I have never done a wipe, I do a HARD RESET once a month and never sideloaded any Android apps. Through my trials and tribulations with BlackBerry devices, I have found that some apps cause havoc and some don't, the biggest challenge for ME, is finding the right mixture of apps, as to keep my devices running smoothly according to MY EXPECTATIONS. Just because your Playbook runs erratic does not mean that ALL PlayBooks do. I hope whichever device you choose in the future meets your expectations. ENJOY
    07-26-12 07:31 AM
    A security wipe was the only way I found to bring it back, but this SHOULDN'T be the solution for any problem.
    I am not sure of which reset methods (de-brick, wipe, hard reset) work best for which problems. But I am sure that I agree in principal with the quoted part of your post.
    07-26-12 08:45 AM
196 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD