So I found a random stylus lying around the house the other day and tried to see if it would work on my PB. It's a fairly simple/cheap looking stylus (have no idea what it's from), plastic body and has a rubbery felt tip of some sort. The Playbook was completely unresponsive to it.

So that made me wonder, is the PB touch screen respond to heat or what? I know there are other styluses (styli?) available, just wondering if anyone uses one or would recommend one. I saw some on Amazon that looked like they were made specifically for touch screen tablets, how do those work if this one I had here didn't?

These are the ones I saw:

Amazon.com: 3 pcs Aqua Blue/Black/Red Capacitive Stylus/styli Touch Screen Cellphone Tablet Pen for iPhone 4 4s 3 3Gs iPod Touch iPad 2 Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy, BlackBerry Playbook AMM0101US, Barnes and Noble Nook Color, Droid Bionic: Electroni

I mean, I don't really need more accuracy or anything but it might be cool to doodle some art or maybe if I got use to the stylus and kept using it, I wouldn't have to wipe oily fingerprints off my screen as much.
    jsdhornby and esk369 like this.
    02-14-12 12:59 AM
    The styluses from the old Electronic Schedule/Calendars and the Nintendo DS series will not work on the playbook. The reason is the styluses for touch screen has this material on the tip that looks like rubber, while the old styluses are just plastic. It's not a fine point because the stylus has to act as a finger for the screen to recognize it.

I have not actually bought one yet because I'm waiting for a day in the future that fine point stylus' work
    02-14-12 01:02 AM
    Wouldn't a stylus from something like the just-launched Samsung Note or whatever it's called work? If so, I'm sure someone who was interested could find a replacement stylus online... Again, if that type of stylus would work... no idea myself.
    02-14-12 02:08 AM
    Wouldn't a stylus from something like the just-launched Samsung Note or whatever it's called work? If so, I'm sure someone who was interested could find a replacement stylus online... Again, if that type of stylus would work... no idea myself.
    I just thought of that because I was watching a Korean Drama, and every character in the drama had a white galaxy note. I'm going to research on that.
    02-14-12 02:44 AM
    i have targus stylus for ipad, i bought it last sunday and its working great with PB. I am using it to avoid dirt in screen.
    Scotter75, esk369 and enzo07i like this.
    02-14-12 03:24 AM
    Sesami, you need a capacitive screen stylus (mostly made of metal to conduct electricity). Also, the cheap ones (e.g. the ones on eBay for $1-2) have too soft and sticky tips to be any useful (they drag).

Something like this should work great:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-T...bUvbUpU7122661
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-14-12 at 03:56 AM.
    02-14-12 03:33 AM
    Galaxy Note stylus won't work. It's stylus is programmed to work on devices with walcom digitizer
    02-14-12 04:19 AM
    Capacitive eh? The ones I originally linked seem to be capacitive... any difference between these name brand single stylus and the ones that come in a pack of 3? I assume the single ones are slightly higher quality? Having 3 might not be a bad thing... I am fairly prone to losing things.

I may just get one for the sake of having one... couple of advantages I can think of right off the bat after reading one of the Amazon descriptions:

-Less fingerprints
    -More accuracy
    -Don't have to take off gloves
    -Girls who have long nails who shouldn't be messing with electronic stuff to begin with if you have really long nails
    -Poke the power button if it's too hard to reach?
    02-14-12 04:34 AM
    a few recommend here
    Notes + Which stylus should you use with Notes Plus?
    its for iPad but work great with other tablets.
    02-14-12 05:23 AM
    This is the stylus I bought Rocketfish Basic Stylus and it works perfectly.
    02-14-12 08:15 AM
    I have been using a stylus with my BlackBerry PlayBook for the better part of a year and it works quite well. Though like my finger it takes some practice. I would never use this stylus for anything like writing notes simply due to the lack of a fine-point-tip to emulate even a dull standard pencil.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    02-14-12 08:34 AM
    I tested several styli, and found the best stylus for the PB was the lowest priced one, which has a fairly firm rubber tip, and glides effortlessly across my SGP Ultra Fine Mat screen protector, the Rocketfish from Best Buy

02-14-12 08:50 AM
    I bought a Targus stylus a couple of weeks ago; it works nicely on my Playbook. I suffer from FFS (Fat Finger Syndrome) and trying to pick the next page in a forum thread was a real challenge. The stylus has reduced my hair loss, and -as a bonus - it doesn't look like our granddaughter stored her cheeseburger on the screen anymore. Those smudges can add up fast.
    momma003 likes this.
    02-14-12 08:54 AM
    Interesting point, you also cant use the playbook wearing gloves unless you buy special gloves to. All to do with conducting electricity, creating a positive field etc science blah blah
    02-14-12 08:55 AM
    Interesting point, you also cant use the playbook wearing gloves unless you buy special gloves to. All to do with conducting electricity, creating a positive field etc science blah blah
    A while back (maybe still) Costco had conductive gloves for using touch-screen devices. They were at the front of the store with the "specials".
    conductordude likes this.
    02-14-12 09:42 AM
    Bumping this because I found the thread while researching which Stylus to purchase and wanted to clarify something...

So there aren't any Playbook Styluses available that have smaller tips than these? What I really wanted was something I could use to draw. Not draw in terms of finger painting like most of the apps I've seen look when used, but actually do proper sketches. I think a few of the art programs could handle it but not if the smallest stylus is almost as large as a fingertip.
    04-24-12 05:12 AM
    There are some styli with a plastic disk or similar - looks like a ballpoint pen but with the disk. Folks have demonstrated fine (as in pen-like) strokes. I forget the model but one guy here did a comparison video ages ago.

Here's one I've considered but would like to see in person:

http://www.amazon.com/DAGI-Capacitiv...bUvbUpU7346325
    Last edited by F2; 04-24-12 at 09:05 AM.
    04-24-12 09:03 AM
    I'd like to try a stylus too.. I found on amazon.co.uk this one: "Adonitol Jot Pro Touch Stylus", did anybody try it? Can it be good on playbook?
    Thanks!
    08-12-12 08:58 AM
    I bought a Dagi on Ebay(DAGI Capacitive Panel Stylus Pen for iPod Touch, iPad ,iPhone Black 204 red NEW | eBay) After reading great reviews and it's extremely well made and works great. No drag and fine point with spare ends.
    Polderon likes this.
    08-12-12 10:28 AM
    I sent dagi.tw a question about the "perfect one" for playbook, because i live in Italy and that ebay seller doesn't sell to my country . It was a really nice price...
    Last edited by Polderon; 08-12-12 at 12:20 PM.
    08-12-12 11:41 AM
    See my reply here on the official BlackBerry Support Forums (there's links to the site themselves, their videos etc): Drawing Stylus for the Blackberry Playbook - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Some of the Jot stylus will work on the PlayBook but there are NO apps written for the PlayBook. The Jot Touch will not work either, it has pressure sensitivity settings requiring an iOS app, but only Apple has integrated Adonit's SDK at this time. They are working on Android stuff but there is no mention of the PlayBook at this time. There is very little information on their support site (Satisfaction) either concerning Android stuff. There was one single post on the PlayBook which I posted on too...

They have explicitely said that their stylus WILL work as a general stylus - anything requiring pressure sensitivity or Bluetooth 4 (their newest model has Bluetooth) will not work on the PlayBook (Bluetooth 3). It might work on the Z10 though since it has Bluetooth 4 connectivity.
    04-11-13 09:40 PM
    Bumping this because I found the thread while researching which Stylus to purchase and wanted to clarify something...

So there aren't any Playbook Styluses available that have smaller tips than these? What I really wanted was something I could use to draw. Not draw in terms of finger painting like most of the apps I've seen look when used, but actually do proper sketches. I think a few of the art programs could handle it but not if the smallest stylus is almost as large as a fingertip.
    _______

I bought the amPen capacitive stylus from Amazon.com for about $8.95. It comes with a 1inch long plastic "pick" attached to the stylus by a short lanyard. At first I wondered what the "pick" was for but now I realize that it is a perfect tool to turn on the power button which is almost flush with the top surface of the Playbook. The stylus works very well for me: I'd say 90-95% of the time it works, the other 5-10% of the time I have to tap something twice. I highly recommend this stylus. I don't know about the other cheap ones costing $1 to $2 each.

You can contact the manufacturer at [email protected]
    04-13-13 12:55 AM
    I use a cheap, no-name capacitive stylus with a rubber tip with Freenote and Groovy Notes. It's good enough for making rough notes and drawings but it's too inaccurate for handwriting. It feels more like drawing with a crayon rather than a pen or pencil.

I find I can type faster with the virtual keyboard in portrait mode instead of scribbling stuff down. There aren't any OCR apps on Playbook either, so I have to transcribe my scribbles to text manually.
    04-14-13 01:02 AM
    I use a cheap stylus, unnamed brand when I'm feeling lazy in bed watchung videos.

it has quite a thin, hard rubber end and works quite well.

it is getting less and use though as I'm doing more work related things on my pb now and the stylus is more if a hinderence.
    04-14-13 10:09 AM
    I've never used a stylus with my PlayBook. A decent stylus came with my Surface Pro. It's not perfect but it has a hard, pen-like tip that is great for handwriting and for sketching. The problem with it is the predictive text is dumb and slow and there aren't a lot of good programs for it and it doesn't precisely calibrate. But it has a lot of unrealized potential.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 10:18 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD