I purchased a Playbook during the recent Black Friday sale at Staples in Toronto and have been happy with the unit in general (with the exception of not being able to use MLS). A co-worker needed to get a unit for a relative for Christmas and we found out that EVERYWHERE is "out of stock". I had to go to Staples for something and talked to the guys behind the desk and found out that RIM has put everyone on lockdown and they can't sell any units until Boxing Day.
    Called various retailers this morning (WalMart, Futureshop, BestBuy, Staples, etc) and all are "out of stock". Apparently the same is true in Waterloo and London.
    Not sure what the rationale is a few days before Christmas, but if anyone was looking to pick one up as a last minute gift, you might be SOL. Anyone else find that Playbooks are on lockdown in their area? By the way, the Staples location I went to even removed the unit from their display.
    12-20-12 01:47 PM
    You can still order from Staples online.
    12-20-12 02:30 PM
    My understanding is they are not on lockdown. The problem is that every time there is a Staples sale they SELL OUT and then they have to wait for more stock. Redflagdeals puts the word out when they are on sale and POOF they are gone.
    12-20-12 02:38 PM
    Kind of off topic, but why can't you use MLS?

I used both the website and the side loaded android app version of Realtor.ca.
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-20-12 02:46 PM
    In the US, Staples does not show me any Playbooks in stock online. I orded a 64GB version to go along with my 16GB from Walmart Online last week and got it Tuesday.
    12-20-12 03:20 PM
    Walmart Canada online have 64gb now in stock.
    12-20-12 04:52 PM
    The 32 GB version was nowhere to be found, and I just thought it's weird that FS, BestBuy, etc were all out of stock at the same time. I did talk with the tech reps at the Staples store and they admitted that they have orders from RIM not to sell a single unit until Boxing Day. Could be BS, but strange that they have units in the back they won't sell.
    12-21-12 07:30 AM
    I purchased a Playbook during the recent Black Friday sale at Staples in Toronto and have been happy with the unit in general (with the exception of not being able to use MLS). A co-worker needed to get a unit for a relative for Christmas and we found out that EVERYWHERE is "out of stock". I had to go to Staples for something and talked to the guys behind the desk and found out that RIM has put everyone on lockdown and they can't sell any units until Boxing Day.
    Called various retailers this morning (WalMart, Futureshop, BestBuy, Staples, etc) and all are "out of stock". Apparently the same is true in Waterloo and London.
    Not sure what the rationale is a few days before Christmas, but if anyone was looking to pick one up as a last minute gift, you might be SOL. Anyone else find that Playbooks are on lockdown in their area? By the way, the Staples location I went to even removed the unit from their display.
    _______

Like I wrote on another thread this is RIM's strategy to sell a lot of remaining PBs during the Christmas holidays. Someone is writing that RIM is packaging 32 Gb PBs with keyboard and rapid charger for $199.
    12-21-12 04:19 PM
    I'm not going to bite. Not until we find out one way or another if this rumored PlayBook 10 comes true or not on Jan 30
    12-22-12 07:21 AM