I think the PB will stay for a while, I have mine since day one, I'm in Colombia and you don't see that many PlayBooks but every time that I use mine in public it draws attention. The problem is that the discounts that you see in Canada and the USA are nowhere to be seen here and the PB is just as expensive as it was on day one, a price that it's not attractive anymore.
    I'm pretty sure that once I get BB10 on my PB it will be good for at least 2 more years!!!
    11-06-12 06:29 PM
    Only in my dreams would such a device exist.

Didn't Motorola do this?
    are you making assumptions or do you see BB10 actually doing this via the HDMI output?
    If I remember correctly, I either read it somewhere or heard an interview with TH talking about RIM's vision for work/life balance on BB10. How hard could it be to create a docking station that has an HDMI and charging jack...and facilitated a BT connection to a keyboard/mouse?
    11-07-12 10:51 AM
    Windows 8 is a software still not secure enough to beat bb10

iOS will accidentally fall off the cliff after they release another nice, iphone5 look alike phone.

Android. Where the can that big hunk of code go?

BB10 will have its weaknesses but its the best of all these systems.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    If you're going to address big hunks of code, you should be referring to Windows. I wonder how big WP8 is?

What happened to my disk space?

Some of the Surface disk space is used by built-in apps and by the Windows features that can help you protect and recover the stuff you store on your Surface.
    Here�s a breakdown of disk space for the 32 GB and 64 GB models (rounded down to the nearest GB):

Surface with Window RT (decimal system) 32 GB 64 GB
    Total disk size as reported by Windows (binary system) 29* 58*
    Reserved space for Windows recovery tools
    -5 -5
    Size of hard drive reported by File Explorer 24 53
    Windows RT, Microsoft Office and built-in apps -8 -8
    Free space reported by File Explorer 16 45

*The advertised local disk size is shown using the decimal system, while Windows displays the disk size using the binary system. As a result, 1 GB (in decimal) appears as about 0.93 GB (in binary). The storage capacity is the same, it's just shown differently depending on the how you measure a GB (decimal or binary).

Surface disk space | Surface storage | Available disk space on Microsoft Surface
    11-07-12 12:01 PM
    If you're going to address big hunks of code, you should be referring to Windows. I wonder how big WP8 is?

Surface disk space | Surface storage | Available disk space on Microsoft Surface

I love Microsoft... they always see "Big" ^^
    11-07-12 12:07 PM
    This would work completely if Citrix Receiver exists on BB10 which I am sure it will. Use the HDMI out to a monitor using Citrix Receiver to login to your desktop and using a BT mouse and keyboard off you go.
    11-07-12 12:12 PM
    With Citrix Receiver for Playbook and the Playbook mini keyboard, the Playbook becomes a very useable thin client. In my opinion, much better than the Citrix Receiver for iOS experience and on par with my Samsung Galaxy S3 with the MHL adapter and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The Playbook mini keyboard actually works well with the S3 too when running a Windows Desktop session via Receiver.

I wish Citrix would work on a 2.0 version of Receiver for Playbook, but that won't happen. Hopefully a Citrix Receiver for BBOS 10 will available in Q1 of 2013 for the Playbook.
    11-08-12 12:03 AM
    If I remember correctly, I either read it somewhere or heard an interview with TH talking about RIM's vision for work/life balance on BB10. How hard could it be to create a docking station that has an HDMI and charging jack...and facilitated a BT connection to a keyboard/mouse?
    RIM's chose to design a docking station / charger which does not allow an HDMI connection while on the dock was another a-ss-inine decision. Personally, I would prefer RIM to partner with an LED 1080p HD monitor manufacturer to produce say a 22-inch LED 1080p HD monitor with a DVD-type tray to accept the BlackBerry PlayBook which when closed automatically connects the HDMI and battery charge ports, provides Bluetooth connectivity with external devices such as keyboards and mice and smartphone, and of course WiFi network connectivity. This would be a modern take on the thin-client. Then at the end of the workday or on your way out the door to the office or school, for instance, you retrieve the BlackBerry PlayBook from the monitor and connections to the external keyboard and mouse are automatically disconnected. To further enhance the BlackBerry 10 OS feature set the tablet automatically disables WiFi when the tablet is out of range of a WiFi AP and enables a Bluetooth connection, if not already enabled, to the BlackBerry smartphone.
    11-08-12 12:26 AM
    Given how old it is and how few have adopted it I'm not sure the PB has a future at all.

Now, if BB10 is a smash, I'm sure we'll see a PB 2 come out, but I think its a longshot. For me, I'm sick of the buggy software. I really only use my PB as a book reader, and I'll be replacing it soon. I took a chance on it when I bought it at the beginning of the year and despite loving aspects of it (the UI) its been a disappointment.

I think Microsoft is going to storm the tablet world. I have an old Windows slate, updated to Windows 8 pro and it smokes both the PB and my wife's iPad.
    11-08-12 12:34 AM
    Playbook's future-blackberryplaybookdock.jpgPlaybook's future-blackberry-playbook-dock.jpg

Over at DevCon, a BlackBerry PlayBook Dock was spotted. The tablet was marked “Top Secret” and according to BlackBerry Czech, it comes with a multi-touch keyboard case and a dock. A PlayBook is what BlackBerry tablet fans have been clamoring for and looks like your prayers are about to be answered.
    The PlayBook dock is believed to have three USB ports, an Ethernet jack, a wireless receiver, speakerphone, and an HDMI out. The speakerphone here would allow the user to make VOIP calls from the BlackBerry tablet. As usual, no information when this will and if this will officially be released. We hope to see this at the Mobile World Congress soon.
    BlackBerry PlayBook Dock spotted at DevCon | TechFever Network
    11-08-12 12:34 AM
    The article is dated February 2012 so I advise you not to hold your breath regarding this "product" every being available to BlackBerry PlayBook users.
    11-08-12 12:37 AM
    HD monitor with a DVD-type tray to accept the BlackBerry PlayBook which when closed automatically connects the HDMI and battery charge ports, provides Bluetooth connectivity with external devices such as keyboards and mice and smartphone, and of course WiFi network connectivity. This would be a modern take on the thin-client. Then at the end of the workday or on your way out the door to the office or school, for instance, you retrieve the BlackBerry PlayBook from the monitor and connections to the external keyboard and mouse are automatically disconnected.
    Well sonny, that takes me back a spell. Must be nigh on 20 yars ago. Little Johnny Sculley was runnin things back then. Had some mighty peculiar idears. Reminds me of you in a lot of ways.

11-08-12 01:36 AM
    The dock seems good but at least we know that there's an idea and vision for things they are not just talking about progress.The dock seems more targeted for business folk and IT savy crowd.RIM with its rep getting tarnished by media they are not at the stage to just release something like this and expect good sales returns with companys now willing to work with oranges and cyborg it would be a silly risk to release the dock as RIM is not a relevant player now.So the dock is probably on hold for now which is good much more pressing matters.What got to me in the article was the VOIP call claim makes me think RIM are working on their own software?? They pretty much have the infrastucture and means for it.

Anyway Im about to cop my PB over the xmas period looking at a 64gb wifi version.These fire sale PB's are gonna be seen as a steal when the PB gets the matrix of leadership & reboots.The future of PB is more than good only timing and no action will mess things up.Even in this work in progress state I still prefer it over oranges and cyborg tablets I have tested.Something about them was'nt right when I was playing with them cyborg is just a rip of oranges with widgets/shorcuts and icon arrangement so dont rate it too tough and its down to the OEMS to make their stamp on the OS and they have'nt done that.All these cyborg OEMS all look the same practically just different vendors different arrangement and they have just done what was popular and selling so just copied IOS.Neither camps have really changed over the years not much creativity has come out of them it felt like they just ported over what was successful on their phones over to tablet and that bugged me there's very little difference between the two outside bigger screens.Tablet should be able to do things the phone cant and vice versa their tablets and phones are far too alike.

A portion of consumers buy things cause they are ''cool''.Look how people view the windows tiles now they want in just cause of that visual amongst other things.IOS and cyborg OEMS will begin to slow down in sales and the decent will begin their downfall will be down to the rehash and boring UI & lack of creative on the interaction front.

The PB with TAT and cascades (which could end up being licensed or the new flash of mobiles in future).RIM will kick UI visuals and user interraction up a notch.Have people seen the 2d to 3d concept effect demo?? Do people know that PB can mess with stereoscopic 3DTV and is 60fps?? So much for ''old'' specs.The 2d to 3d UI interactions is the direction PB is going if you factor the peek and flow its different and looking impressive those type of visuals are the WOW factor that people flock to.If RIM throw in a ''showcase'' split screen capabilitys and not just leave it at standard split get into 3-4 screen level multi tasking split.Thats the eye candy people will flock to and we know the PB is getting into the 10 inch market PB it needs to get these flashy capabilitys before rivals regroup & up their game.The PB is more than capable it can do so much RIGHT NOW wish I was a programmer.

For me the biggest things will lie in the social communication factor BBM,video chat,file sharing,voip?? BBM I will get into another thread.But I was really impressed with the concept stage of the document sharing and collab mode demo.How it could be applied to meetings ,big screens and for just sharing data.Its just quality stuff hope that does'nt stay at just concept stage and gets polished up & appears in our PBs and phones sometime that feature could take things to next level really sets itself apart from the rest.

My only concern at the minute is the video chat which needs a huge step up its lacking big time.From what I have seen Adobe was the only ones doing good things with it and it should'nt be them should be RIM.I dont know what RIM are doing on the video chat front I have'nt seen any concept demo's but this needs a huge upgrade from what it is now.We need to be able to video chat with 3-5 how ever many the limit of people possible.Group video chat in BBM and in general would be a big deal and huge this kind of feature that will turn heads to be able to group video chat and podcast at the same time eshh too much ask??Impossible??

RIM is going the right way its got the security,got the os in qnx,got TAT who are doing incredible things.Just need to up the communication game on the business and social front.And the rise to the top will be good be it slow cant wait to cop my PB.RIM is on the way up its gonna set a new standard im confident in that.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 11-08-12 at 06:05 PM.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    11-08-12 05:46 PM
    [QUOTE=PatrickMJS;7715415]I'm glad so many have corrected the total falseness of the op.

In my humble opinion, the PB will survive quite a bit better than the ipad1 or 2 or mini or pretty much any android tablet. When I say survive, I mean "continue to be useful to me". You do not see too many ipad1s around. Most ipad1 owners lined up at midnight to replace it with the 2 or the 3.

But most of the Playbooks are still out there, benefiting from os updates and the best update of all is just a few more months away. The company, RIM, (BTW, "RIMM" is the stock symbol on the NYSE so the op got at least one thing right), is still issuing new versions of the PB, note the 4G version available in Canada and the 3G+ version just released in the UK.

If people have some vision (sprinkled with a little bit of cast iron constitution) they should buy RIMM stock now. It's gone up almost 30% since a month ago. Not too shabby, eh?
    11-08-12 06:58 PM
    do you still think the same than 11 month ago?

Thanks for your opinion but I think many respectfully disagree. I see RIM having both a significant role in the consumer market as well as the corporate arena.. Granted, it won't be as integrated into your PC as Microsoft.. but image your day using BB10...

Get up.. check your BB10 device (both personal and work emails).
    Get dressed and out the door you go... sync your BB10 handset to your QNX controlled car... hands free calling, email, streaming music, etc...
    Get to work, switch to work side of BB10, use NFC to get in the security reader at your office.
    Sit down at your desk.. .put your BB10 device on a dock that connects it to a big screen monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse... and routes all of your calls to your desk phone.
    Work throughout the day... using your BB10 as your PC..
    Undock... leave... switch to personal side of device and continue about your evening...
    10-20-13 01:18 PM
    do you still thing the same than 11 month ago
    my predictions came pretty close lol

Thanks tips! Got any lotto numbers as well since your making predictions? Better yet, while your playing sherlock and predicting how rim (with only one "m",if your bashing it at least get it right,) is going to do, make yourself useful and solve the national debt instead of insulting RIM on a blackberry based site. Just sayin.

Rim will be fine. They will survive in the business world just fine with mobile fusion and secure phones.
    10-20-13 01:20 PM
    do you still think that way?

I'm glad so many have corrected the total falseness of the op.

In my humble opinion, the PB will survive quite a bit better than the ipad1 or 2 or mini or pretty much any android tablet. When I say survive, I mean "continue to be useful to me". You do not see too many ipad1s around. Most ipad1 owners lined up at midnight to replace it with the 2 or the 3.

But most of the Playbooks are still out there, benefiting from os updates and the best update of all is just a few more months away. The company, RIM, (BTW, "RIMM" is the stock symbol on the NYSE so the op got at least one thing right), is still issuing new versions of the PB, note the 4G version available in Canada and the 3G+ version just released in the UK.

And you know what, people are still surprised when I show them all the stuff I can do on my sweet lil PB, even given it was released 18 months ago. And quite a few have gone out and got one for themselves. And as pointed out in another thread, the current PB pricing relative to the i-tablets is so attractive, I am optimistic other value-conscious consumers will go for it.

Watch out when the BB10 PB upgrade is released. At that point, the PB-BB phone combo will be unbeatable.
    10-20-13 01:24 PM

Once the natural life of my PB is over, I will change my system to a Windows 8 phone....
    Do you still think this way?
    10-20-13 01:48 PM
42 12