Here's the link TI sees lost revenue from 2 chip plants in Japan | Reuters

Not sure if this will cause any impact on future PlayBook shipments.
    03-14-11 06:49 PM
    The article said those factories only handle 10% of the chips TI produces.
    03-14-11 06:57 PM
    Plus many companies like RIM have already bought their chips, at least the first round or two of their devices.
    03-14-11 07:58 PM
    OMAP processors production is not affected and so it has no affect on Playbook
    03-14-11 08:03 PM
    Plus many companies like RIM have already bought their chips, at least the first round or two of their devices.
    Hmmmm ... bought, but not necessarily all delivered. If it were any more than 10%, it would definitely be cause for concern. But in the grand scheme of things, there are certainly bigger things to be concerned about over there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 09:16 PM
    True, but hopefully they got chips in to work with.
    03-14-11 09:45 PM
    id imagine RIM will be ok, for the first order at least, because the hardware has been nailed down for a while, so components are going to be already assembeled by now, the only thing waiting for is the firmware.

as an example, iPad2`s were built jan/feb.

i think you`ll all thats the least of their problems over there though, i hope situation there doesnt get any worse
    03-14-11 10:08 PM
    I figure the playbooks are built, just need the os flashed.
    03-14-11 10:15 PM
    I would think that the US launch PBs are built..... Production for world launches is probably still under way.
    03-14-11 10:17 PM
    Here's the link TI sees lost revenue from 2 chip plants in Japan | Reuters

Not sure if this will cause any impact on future PlayBook shipments.
    I doubt it will affect the Playbook in anyway, these guys have all the resource(s) inj the world. I'm sure they will be able to find an alternative source elsewhere like Taiwan or any of the chip developing nations around that region.
    03-14-11 10:21 PM
    I figure the playbooks are built, just need the os flashed.
    Pretty much now that they're through the FCC. GIVE ME MY FREAKING PLAYBOOK RIM
    03-14-11 10:26 PM
    I looked into this earlier and best I can tell, OMAP chips would be produced at TI fab in Dallas, or at TSMC or UMC foundries in Taiwan (possibly all three). Definitely not Japan.
    03-15-11 12:15 AM
    As much as I want the Playbook, my thoughts are with the people of Japan before the chip that may go into my tablet; lets not lose sight of what is most important!
    03-15-11 03:24 AM
    Pretty much now that they're through the FCC. GIVE ME MY FREAKING PLAYBOOK RIM
    Oh nooooooo...

All you get is a few more youtube videos, maybe a show or two where they announce something you've already heard a gazillion times and a ton of inaccurate rumors from superbowl kevin, a few bloggers and wishful forum posters.

Actual products are for consumers of other devices.

03-15-11 05:23 AM
    Oh my friggin God I think we get what you think already. Do you really have to say the same bloody thing over and over again?
    03-15-11 06:17 AM
    Its truly a sad day when tens of thousands have lost their lives, hundreds of thousands have lost their homes and worldly possessions, an entire region is in danger of radiation contamination, and all you focus on is whether or not the events that caused all of this will delay your playbook any further!

Hopefully one day you'll get to the point where you understand that there are more important things in life and in this world than you being able to get a BB PB when you want one.

03-15-11 08:43 AM
    Its truly a sad day when tens of thousands have lost their lives, hundreds of thousands have lost their homes and worldly possessions, an entire region is in danger of radiation contamination, and all you focus on is whether or not the events that caused all of this will delay your playbook any further!

Hopefully one day you'll get to the point where you understand that there are more important things in life and in this world than you being able to get a BB PB when you want one.

Slow your roll there cowboy! There's a thread in OT about the tradegy and I posted a link to the Red Cross for those of us (and I already donated myself) who want to do more than just talk about it!

ANYWAYS, this thread is about something else, BUT it seems like in this case the PB will not be effected by the quake, HOWEVER, I'm sure the impact on industry WILL be felt in other ways. We shall see.
    03-15-11 09:08 AM
    So you gave a couple of dollars? Great! Climb on the rooftops and brag about it!

Then you can get right back to fretting about whether or not this catastrophe will delay you getting your PB!

And of course EVERY aspect of life throughout the world will be impacted, including chip makers. Have you not yet grasped the enormity of the situation?

Not trying to start anything, "cowboy", just saying it as I see it!

Last edited by stubbornswiss; 03-15-11 at 09:51 AM.
    03-15-11 09:48 AM
    So you gave a couple of dollars? Great! Climb on the rooftops and brag about it!

Then you can get right back to fretting about whether or not this catastrophe will delay you getting your PB!

And of course EVERY aspect of life throughout the world will be impacted, including chip makers. Have you not yet grasped the enormity of the situation?

Not trying to start anything, "cowboy", just saying it as I see it!

You really are stubborn.
    03-15-11 09:51 AM
    You really are stubborn.
    That's what my mother - bless her soul, always told me

03-15-11 09:53 AM
    Oh nooooooo...

All you get is a few more youtube videos, maybe a show or two where they announce something you've already heard a gazillion times and a ton of inaccurate rumors from superbowl kevin, a few bloggers and wishful forum posters.

Actual products are for consumers of other devices.

Give it a rest, already! You sound like a broken record.
    03-15-11 09:54 AM
    I thought the Swiss were supposed to be neutral....
    Rickroller likes this.
    03-15-11 09:55 AM
    I thought the Swiss were supposed to be neutral....
    ......... only when it comes to banking......
    03-15-11 10:05 AM
    They make some DAMN good coco!
    03-15-11 10:16 AM
    They make some DAMN good coco!
    But the furniture sucks!
    03-15-11 11:01 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD