Dang! Every review I read so far bashes the power button that it is nearly impossible to press.
    How sad, how did RIM approve the design in the first place?
    04-13-11 09:31 PM
    Can't be too much of an issue when you can swipe to access the screen...and swipe to turn the screen off...
    04-13-11 09:38 PM
    I haven't tested it out yet, but I might like it being hard to press. I have an annoying tendency to accidentally hit the power/lock/etc buttons on my devices when I don't want to.
    04-13-11 09:46 PM
    I hardly ever use the power button on my BB, so I have little doubt that the same will be true of my PB as well.
    04-13-11 09:46 PM
    RIM tells me that final versions of the PlayBook will have this power button raised by 0.8mm, enough to make it easily clickable.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook Review - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    04-13-11 09:52 PM
    take a chill pill! Engadget isn't the most unbiased place on the 'net to get your non-Apple news. I'm betting the switch is smartly designed to AVOID accidental power-up/down activations. RELAX! I have a Sony camera that nearly requires a fingernail press of it's power button and I'm fine with it.
    04-13-11 09:56 PM
    Considering what I have in my hands is a production unit I would not agree with this. The power button is not easy to press. It's pretty much flush.
    04-13-11 09:59 PM
    not sure if srs
    Dougielas likes this.
    04-13-11 10:18 PM
    If the power button were placed any differently, you know for damn sure they'd be b!tching that it's is too easy to hit accidentally.
    04-13-11 10:26 PM
    If the power button were placed any differently, you know for damn sure they'd be b!tching that it's is too easy to hit accidentally.
    Story of RIM's life...
    04-13-11 10:41 PM
    And it doesn't help that some of the reviewers (like CNET) seem to be clueless about the swipe gesture to unlock the screen.
    04-13-11 10:56 PM
    Can't be too much of an issue when you can swipe to access the screen...and swipe to turn the screen off...
    Some reviewers have noted the swipe-to-wake-up, but so far I don't think any of them, or anyone else except you, has ever claimed there's a swipe-to-turn-off.

There ought to be a user-accessible way to force a sleep, but do you know there really is? What "swipe" is it?
    04-14-11 01:11 AM
    Some reviewers have noted the swipe-to-wake-up, but so far I don't think any of them, or anyone else except you, has ever claimed there's a swipe-to-turn-off.

There ought to be a user-accessible way to force a sleep, but do you know there really is? What "swipe" is it?

Swipe bezel to bezel.. it will then time out.
    04-14-11 02:41 AM
    Wait a second... "time out"? You mean you're just talking about how Kevin set it to a 30s inactivity timeout and that's your "user-accessible sleep" feature? That's a minor fail... I want something to force it off NOW, without pressing the button, if the button is that bad.

(But note that the button is apparently not that bad on the production units, where it's quite accessible, so no big deal.)
    04-14-11 10:15 AM
    Wait a second... "time out"? You mean you're just talking about how Kevin set it to a 30s inactivity timeout and that's your "user-accessible sleep" feature? That's a minor fail... I want something to force it off NOW, without pressing the button, if the button is that bad.

(But note that the button is apparently not that bad on the production units, where it's quite accessible, so no big deal.)
    dip it in water
    04-14-11 10:27 AM
    When ever something new comes out someone is nit picking it. In my opinion I like the power button were it is and hard to press. After using the xoom with a easy to bump the power button expecially when reading. I'm still excited to get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-11 10:37 AM
    If anyone read anandtech's review, he does say that RIM told him that the power button will be raised in the final product.
    04-14-11 10:57 AM
    If anyone read anandtech's review, he does say that RIM told him that the power button will be raised in the final product.
    I have the final product and it is not raised (or if it is, it is not materially raised to make it very usable)
    04-14-11 11:01 AM
    dip it in water
    I know hey?!! people just don't improvise
    04-14-11 11:01 AM

Then just use a case that will put it to sleep when you close the cover. I do it with my storm all the time when I put it in the holster. Geez people let's remember the the PB is still a BlackBerry!
    04-14-11 11:13 AM
    My biggest aggravation with my Torch is the fact that I'm constantly bumping the power button and the mute button. This bothers me more than all the software updates we've endured and the sloppy slider mechanism. I'm looking forward to a power switch that is not so easily triggered.
    04-14-11 11:18 AM
    My biggest aggravation with my Torch is the fact that I'm constantly bumping the power button and the mute button. This bothers me more than all the software updates we've endured and the sloppy slider mechanism. I'm looking forward to a power switch that is not so easily triggered.
    I agree, the Torch is TOO easy to lock/unlock. I'd rather the button to be hard to hit than easy to hit. Also, on a phone I want it to be kind of easy to hit the button as I'm putting it in my pocket or pulling it out. The PlayBook isn't going to be like that. I'm not going to want to look at the screen every 30 seconds to see if I have a message. I'm only going to use it when I want to sit with it for a while.
    04-14-11 11:25 AM
    Most manufacturer's recess the power or master-off switches to avoid accidental pressing. I would consider this a feature more then a hindrance.

I found it really funny when one reviewer was cutting up the wall charger that comes with the torch; saying its awkward that the usb cable plugs in the side of the block rather then the bottom and they would much prefer it to be on the bottom. I thought the design was thought out quiet well, and made perfect sense to put it on the side, so that the USB cable didn't block any other outlets. I could only imagine how the reviewer loved wall-wart power supplies!

again, glad it's recessed and hard to easily access. Maybe RIM just has to explain why they added these design features before reviewers run out claiming ill-thought-out design.
    04-14-11 11:29 AM
    If someone REALLY, REALLY is bothered by a recessed button, get creative with a tiny daub of crazy glue and an appropriately sized "button extender" glued onto it. Problem solved...oh, but then the whining would have to stop....
    Nikeem24 likes this.
    04-14-11 02:29 PM
    Most manufacturer's recess the power or master-off switches to avoid accidental pressing. I would consider this a feature more then a hindrance.

I found it really funny when one reviewer was cutting up the wall charger that comes with the torch; saying its awkward that the usb cable plugs in the side of the block rather then the bottom and they would much prefer it to be on the bottom. I thought the design was thought out quiet well, and made perfect sense to put it on the side, so that the USB cable didn't block any other outlets. I could only imagine how the reviewer loved wall-wart power supplies!

again, glad it's recessed and hard to easily access. Maybe RIM just has to explain why they added these design features before reviewers run out claiming ill-thought-out design.
    That's ridiculous! I actually use my Torch charger for almost all of my devices that require a micro usb charger. I LOVE the way it plugs into the wall because it doesn't block other outlets. I actually hate chargers that block plugs above or below it.
    04-14-11 03:18 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD