Just a little background on me. Im looking for a tablet that supports flash and makes my life eaiser. Im in college and my school LOVES Apple. We have an Apple store on Campus. lol
    I do not like the Ipad 2 due to the fact that it does not support flash. Even though my school LOVES apple, I do not.

So along my search to get a tablet, it was between the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 or the Playbook. I ruled out the Acer and Zoom because they are too old. I also decided against the Sony and Toshiba because they are too new. And as we know, HP/Web OS is dead.

I got a nice deal on the PB but am wondering if I made the right choice for my first tablet, espically since I do not have a Blackberry. I dont need native email cause all my gmail goes directly to my phone.

Im an MAJOR android user and love my Droid Bionic. My tablet will be used 24/7 and probably replace the use of my laptop. It will strictly be used for web use and notes in class.

That being said, did i make the right choice for my first device? I know only I can decide but i have never used a playbook or seen one in person. I need something that is going to "work all day long".
    Example:
    Wake up. Read news/blogs/forums/weather while eating breakfast.
    Get to class and type notes for 2 hours.
    Get home at lunch then use PDF to read online text books.

What was your first tablet? Does the playbook go all day like you need it too? Do you own another tablet that you have another use for?
    09-19-11 12:44 AM
    It seems that you have done a lot of research,but since you never used a playbook or seen one in person,you'd better go to the local store and experience various tablet(ipad, Galaxy Tab, playbok...) and then, make a decision which one you will get...
    BTW,PB's my first tablet,and I'm happy with it(I own a torch),for me,PB is the right choice. Personally I think PB will meet your needs you metioned above...
    dadzy911 likes this.
    09-19-11 01:03 AM
    That being said, did i make the right choice for my first device? I know only I can decide but i have never used a playbook or seen one in person. I need something that is going to "work all day long".
    Example:
    Wake up. Read news/blogs/forums/weather while eating breakfast. YES, on the loo too
    Get to class and type notes for 2 hours. light typing without keyboard or heavier with bluetooth keyboard
    Get home at lunch then use PDF to read online text books. This is an excellent purpose for tablets, even offline PDF books stored on the tablet are very convenient PDF readers do vary in features and functionality though
    Welcome to the PB club? Not sure if you bought or haven't bought yet LOL

PB is also my first tablet.

I thinks it's fair to say that Tablets have a long way to go before they can compete with a fully functional and featured PC, laptop or netbook and as such, many people still don't know exactly where to fit them into their daily lives.

If your PC, laptop, or netbook use is simply surfing the web and/or consuming media (watching videos, viewing photos, reading ebooks and documents or listening to music), then tablets are likely to be a satisfactory replacement for them. Light typing duties and document creation and editing is also practical on a tablet. Applications exist to further expand the capabilities of tablets.

Hardcore use requiring full features are best done on traditional computer type devices with keyboards and mouse. Bluetooth keyboards are available for tablets, but then you are starting to turn it into a netbook, which sort of defeats the purpose a little.

Portability is probably foremost on the minds of many tablet users and if it is important, the 7" form factor is difficult to beat. Samsung GalaxyTab 7 and Playbook are the popular choices at the moment and both have their unique strengths and weaknesses.

Imagination is the requirement for exploiting tablets to their max. You might like to record lectures through voice notes whilst typing notes. a good multitasking tablet will allow you to expand its uses limited only by your imagination.

Good luck with your investment.
    Last edited by Scrapegoat; 09-19-11 at 01:24 AM.
    chiefbroski and kbz1960 like this.
    09-19-11 01:22 AM
    sounds like a pb should do the trick for what you need

its pretty much what i use mine for, if you swap the college note taking for work meetings. The battery usually has enough for a full day so no real issues there. The keyboard will take some getting used to but it does the job. Ive got to a stage now where i get quite a decent wpm on it, more so if you let yourself be sloppy and dont correct every error as you type (as long as its readable i just leave it and correct it later, they are notes after all

the pb is my first tablet although i did toy with the ipad and the galaxy tab (10"). Both seem like good devices but with me owning a bb already the bridge sold me on the playbook, not to mention the form factor and so on.

Id recommend going to a store and trying out the various devices before you shell out your hard earned, but if youve done your research and dont expect miracles from the device like some people seem to i dare say you'll have a good time
    09-19-11 01:57 AM
    Welcome to the PB club? Not sure if you bought or haven't bought yet LOL

PB is also my first tablet.

I thinks it's fair to say that Tablets have a long way to go before they can compete with a fully functional and featured PC, laptop or netbook and as such, many people still don't know exactly where to fit them into their daily lives.

If your PC, laptop, or netbook use is simply surfing the web and/or consuming media (watching videos, viewing photos, reading ebooks and documents or listening to music), then tablets are likely to be a satisfactory replacement for them. Light typing duties and document creation and editing is also practical on a tablet. Applications exist to further expand the capabilities of tablets.

Hardcore use requiring full features are best done on traditional computer type devices with keyboards and mouse. Bluetooth keyboards are available for tablets, but then you are starting to turn it into a netbook, which sort of defeats the purpose a little.

Portability is probably foremost on the minds of many tablet users and if it is important, the 7" form factor is difficult to beat. Samsung GalaxyTab 7 and Playbook are the popular choices at the moment and both have their unique strengths and weaknesses.

Imagination is the requirement for exploiting tablets to their max. You might like to record lectures through voice notes whilst typing notes. a good multitasking tablet will allow you to expand its uses limited only by your imagination.

Good luck with your investment.
    Yes. I have already purchased
    Thanks for your comments!!!
    09-19-11 01:58 AM
    Yup i use mine all day. love the portability too. Yes its my first tablet. Since June. I own a BB so I have internet everywhere .

Since i currently only have a laptop, i pack up for the next day before sleeping, and i take my macbook pro to work because i cant work on anything else, not even another mac.

so my laptop goes into the bag packed and ready, i have my dinner and watch a series off the PB connected to my monitor through HDMI and speakers. unplug before sleeping and do some google reader reading before sleeping, sleep.
    wake up next morning wih its alarm. watch a show with breakfast, unplug and continue watching on the move. finish the episode and go into reading mode, do any @mobile context tasks(using Conqu) till i get to work, then it sits aside until am on the move again and get home. plug on monitor and watch something with dinner again. Repeat lol.
    09-19-11 02:00 AM
    sounds like a pb should do the trick for what you need

its pretty much what i use mine for, if you swap the college note taking for work meetings. The battery usually has enough for a full day so no real issues there. The keyboard will take some getting used to but it does the job. Ive got to a stage now where i get quite a decent wpm on it, more so if you let yourself be sloppy and dont correct every error as you type (as long as its readable i just leave it and correct it later, they are notes after all

the pb is my first tablet although i did toy with the ipad and the galaxy tab (10"). Both seem like good devices but with me owning a bb already the bridge sold me on the playbook, not to mention the form factor and so on.

Id recommend going to a store and trying out the various devices before you shell out your hard earned, but if youve done your research and dont expect miracles from the device like some people seem to i dare say you'll have a good time
    Yes. I DO NOT expect maricles.
    Just something that simply works. It will go with me everywhere.
    I will tether with my Android, should I do this PDA.net Bluetooth or via the normal PDA.net? Basically wifi or bluetooth? To my understanding the bridge uses Bluetooth....
    09-19-11 02:01 AM
    Playbook would suit your needs great, but I would never want any tablet if you do a lot of note taking, typing, which obviously you will.

you will want something like this:
    as would the rest of us...if it was on the market..

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-case-650735/
    or some kind of bluetooth keyboard...
    09-19-11 02:13 AM
    Yes. I DO NOT expect maricles.
    Just something that simply works. It will go with me everywhere.
    I will tether with my Android, should I do this PDA.net Bluetooth or via the normal PDA.net? Basically wifi or bluetooth? To my understanding the bridge uses Bluetooth....
    Not so sure you can bridge to a tethered android, if that's what you are planning (no android phone app for that). Without wifi or a blackberry phone how do you plan to access internet?
    Blackberry phone bridges via bluetooth with an blackberry developed app on the phone. Doubt they made an android version.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-19-11 at 02:22 AM.
    09-19-11 02:18 AM
    I think you will like the PlayBook. It is extremely portable, and doesn't make me feel weird or like a jackas$ when I use it in public. Typing notes on it should be fine, but the lack of auto-correct is annoying. I don't take notes with my PlayBook, but for your morning routine of reading stuff n the web, the PlayBook is perfect. The battery lasts a good while, but the previous build of the OS had much better battery life.
    09-19-11 02:23 AM
    Well.. I'm a college student too.. and the playbook was also my first tablet. And like you described.. everyone around seems to worship Apple.

I�m a Blackberry User too.

I find it hard to take notes, cuz i still havent gotten used to the touchscreen and I have small hands, so its easier for me to type in portrait mode. I�ve downloaded some free apps for Note Taking.. they aren�t the best but they do the trick.

as for web browsing.. for me PB is great.. really portable. I still havent cut the cord with my PC and I dont think I ever will considering I work a lot on software developing and mechanical diagrams with Autodesk, but for the rest of the things... (document reading, browsing, flash) its great.

Most places in campus have WIFI available so i got no problem with the internet... and when there's no wifi available and I really to browse then I use Bridge. I dont like bridgebrowsing that much, cuz my BB runs on EDGE so its pretty slow browsing sometimes... I only use it when I really need it. Bridge is great for syncing the calendar thou, makes me have all my appointments and task on my Phone.

I�ve been considering getting a BT Keyboard, as it was mentioned above, one of those folding perhaps.. making it portable ... It would be awesome to have the one that comes with a case.. but it's still not available... there are some online.. but I wouldnt recommend them cuz those cases cover the bezel.
    Last edited by alekza; 09-19-11 at 02:38 AM.
    09-19-11 02:28 AM
    PB is also my first tablet and my requirement is similar to your even though i'm not a student. i dont take notes for 2hrs straight but i use the PB to write down thoughts so i dont forget them

since you're a hardcore android user maybe by the time you make the jump, the android player for PB will be out and you'll be in the zone

good luck
    09-19-11 02:30 AM
    Well.. I'm a college student too.. and the playbook was also my first tablet. And like you described.. everyone around seems to worship Apple.

I�m a Blackberry User too.

I find it hard to take notes, cuz i still havent gotten used to the touchscreen and I have small hands, so its easier for me to type in portrait mode. I�ve downloaded some free apps for Note Taking.. they aren�t the best but they do the trick.

as for web browsing.. for me PB is great.. really portable. I still havent cut the cord with my PC and I dont think I ever will considering I work a lot on software developing and mechanical diagrams with Autodesk, but for the rest of the things... (document reading, browsing, flash) its great.

Most places in campus have WIFI available so i got no problem with the internet... and when there's no wifi available and I really to browse then I use Bridge. I dont like bridgebrowsing that much, cuz my BB runs on EDGE so its pretty slow browsing sometimes... I only use it when I really need it. Bridge is great for syncing the calendar thou, makes me have all my appointments and task on my Phone.

I�ve been considering getting a BT Keyboard, as it was mentioned above, one of those folding perhaps.. making it portable ... It would be awesome to have the one that comes with a case.. but it's still not available... there are some online.. but I wouldnt recommend them cuz those cases cover the bezel.
    Great to hear from a fellow College student!
    Yes, we have wifi campus wide as well so that shouldnt be a huge problem.
    All my Gmail and calander is already synced with my phone so I hope that wont be too big of an issue.
    Im really excited, maybe this will be the beginning of my tablet love! haha
    09-19-11 07:23 AM
    Example:
    The playbook was my first tablet.

That being said, I am glad you have put a lot of thought into it.

My mornings include:
    - Waking up and listening to a web site (that uses a flash player) to listen to audio streams on the stock markets.
    - Read early morning crackberry post!
    - Check out email and some sites I like to kick my morning off.

Throughout the day:
    - I do online trading while tethered
    - Emails reading
    - Audio entertainment etc.

You get the idea.

That being said, I really think you should go to your local BestBuy and/or store and try it out first. Being a droid user, you might have a set of applications that you expect on the Playbook but it will not be there.

Also a warning, the PDF reader is basic, so if you can go demo the playbook and download a PDF to test.

Good luck and let us know what you end up using as it will help others in the future!
    09-19-11 08:29 AM
    Playbook was my 1st tablet as well, and my only tablet.

I do have a BB phone, which I think makes a huge difference in my life. I love being able to bridge the Playbook to my phone. I don't pay for a tethering plan through my carrier, so the bridge is great for being able to access the internet anywhere I am through my phone.

I am waiting on the OS2 release for some apps that I would love to have but are not available on BB, the Droid App Player will fix that issue for me.

The battery seems to last long enough for what I'm using it for. I put it in standby when I'm not actively using it & I tweeked some of the settings to extend battery life like the screen brightness and all that.

So far, it seems to do pretty much everything I ask it to aside from the few apps I'm waitin on that Droid App Player for.

To sum it up, I love my Playbook and I won't be looking for a different tablet. This one is the right one for me.
    robsteve likes this.
    09-19-11 01:06 PM
    My first tablet is Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000. (An Android device)
    I even brought it to BBWC last May
    To do and receive calls from it while in the USA is fun LOL
    I know the US version loses its phone capabilities.
    To say that my PlayBook beats my SGT is quite not fair, both have their own characteristics.
    Every morning, I use Pulse Reader to read the world news, and then play a little game before I go to work.
    At the office, I switched to my PB to get fully use of BB Bridge (left my Bold on my desk).
    I often bring it to the cafeteria, mainly to keep it for myself. If I bring my SGT, most of my colleague want to play Angry Birds or something with it
    Then I can enjoy lunch while watching my YouTube subscriptions, or facebook and twitter a bit. (I surely wait for A2DP to come on PB so I can use my bluetooth earphone).
    Back at home, the net traffic usually sucks on my home ISP at that time, so I use SGT to become Wi-Fi hotspot for PB to continue my browsing. Or if the carrier sucks too on my SGT, I use bridge (which is slow) to do a little browsing.
    Well.. there you go..
    Hope you enjoy "A day with togardergrosse"

LOL
    09-19-11 01:09 PM
    I am just joining workforce, PB is my first tablet. I am also a android user with my htc desire s. Nevertheless, I bought BBPB for its lovely price, knowing full well its specs and flaws. This is because with blackberry, I am confident I get good customer services, future updates, and patches.

Shortly after my purchase, BB announced OS2.0
    11-02-11 02:21 PM
    the PB popped my tablet cherry
    11-02-11 02:39 PM
    First tablet for me. I had such a difficult time choosing this over a traditional laptop. But I'm glad I did. It's a lot more versatile for my uses then a laptop would ever be.
    11-02-11 02:44 PM
    Mine is also my first tablet, I was researching the same as you, also mostly same requirements. I spent 3 months before buying ( Not urgent need to use ).
    My list including iPad2, Galaxy 10", Playbook and some other android tablets, finally I bought Playbook. Business purpose, combine with my 9780 is perfect. At my first idea, I would like to buy iPad2 due to I would like to cross platform and I already got BB but after trying several time, I went to Computer fair and bought 32 gb Playbook with free journal case promotion. Never regret to buy it.

PS. I am very exiting following up Playbook news and update, it is a kind of fun for me. Not aspect too much. Even currently document reader apps are still not perfect but they are usable, not too bad.
    11-02-11 03:46 PM
    Just a little background on me. Im looking for a tablet that supports flash and makes my life eaiser. Im in college and my school LOVES Apple. We have an Apple store on Campus. lol
    I do not like the Ipad 2 due to the fact that it does not support flash. Even though my school LOVES apple, I do not.

What was your first tablet? Does the playbook go all day like you need it too? Do you own another tablet that you have another use for?

1. Get a Bluetooth Keyboard and maybe a mouse for typing.

2. As long as you aren't using the PB to watch hours and hours of youtube and watch videos of cats all day you will be getting quite a days use from it.
    11-02-11 03:49 PM
    Playbook was my first tablet and I my very first RIM product....all I can say is that this was my biggest mistake of my life.....no issues with the Playbook...its all good...the issue is with RIM as a company....so many false promises...lies...stupid stupid company

If I were you now, I would go for Android tablet....they all support flash....they all have what u need....all the apps ...all the games....everything....<word of advise from a person who brought his Playbook on the very first day of release - STAY AWAY FROM RIM PRODUCTS>
    11-02-11 03:59 PM

So along my search to get a tablet, it was between the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 or the Playbook. I ruled out the Acer and Zoom because they are too old. I also decided against the Sony and Toshiba because they are too new. And as we know, HP/Web OS is dead.

I got a nice deal on the PB but am wondering if I made the right choice for my first tablet, espically since I do not have a Blackberry. I dont need native email cause all my gmail goes directly to my phone.

Im an MAJOR android user and love my Droid Bionic. My tablet will be used 24/7 and probably replace the use of my laptop. It will strictly be used for web use and notes in class.

Example:

fwiw

pb was my first tablet (launch day purchase) and I didnt get a bb compatible with pb until recently (and i was fine/happy with it). the only issue with using PB for school is that there is currently no pdf annotation app available otherwise it works well for me. ie no regrets
    Snap51 likes this.
    11-02-11 06:11 PM
    Does your phone do wifi hotspot? That would be even better then bridge if you don't care about email etc. on it.

Good luck in finding an updated and working one in a store if you're going to try one. I guess you've read a lot here so I'm sure you know the pro's and con's.
    11-02-11 06:26 PM
    my first tablet was the iPad (1st gen) for about 5 days, then gave it to the wife so that i could get a PB. i much prefer the PB hands down. i'll sometimes jump oon the pad if theres an app i want to try out or use a specific app not available on the PB. but most of the time i'm on the PB using the available apps and great web experience. i kuch prefer the ui on the PB than on the pad, even with iOS 5 adding gestures to swipe to close or switch apps, its not as enjoyable ad on the PB.

so when asked which do i suggest, i ask what will be their main use (entertainment or biz). playbook is for me the best out there, no question.
    11-02-11 07:04 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD