Hi everyone!

Today, I became the proud owner of a 16GB PlayBook. This device is simply amazing. The perfect tablet for me!

Anyway, after booting it up for the first time, installing the latest update, downloading a few apps, shutting it down and rebooting it, I used it for about an hour. I noticed that after closing the native browser, the icon had dimmed and wasn't opening. When I shut it down again (didn't download or update anything) it was stuck on the "Turning PlayBook Off" screen for about 30 minutes. I did a soft reset/reboot (holding the Power, Volume Up and Volume Down buttions down) and resolved the issue.

My question is this: is there any reason this happened? And if so, is there a way I can prevent this from happening again? Is there anything wrong with my PB?

Thank you!
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 01-06-12 at 11:42 PM.
    01-06-12 11:37 PM
    If your brains had been rattled by the FedEx guy, it may take you awhile to sort things out too. LOL
    But seriously, I'm sure with a few more cycles of charging the battery every thing will smooth out.
    I had an issue simular to yours, and about 2 days later it was a screaming banshee and all was smooth as glass.

Take a gander at the Newbie Tips and Tricks by clicking below my signature.
    And Welcome to the Playbook forum!
    01-07-12 12:09 AM
    If your brains had been rattled by the FedEx guy, it may take you awhile to sort things out too. LOL
    But seriously, I'm sure with a few more cycles of charging the battery every thing will smooth out.
    I had an issue simular to yours, and about 2 days later it was a screaming banshee and all was smooth as glass.

Take a gander at the Newbie Tips and Tricks by clicking below my signature.
    And Welcome to the Playbook forum!
    Thanks! I hope so!

By the way, does anyone know how static resistant the PB is? I felt a bit of a shock near the bottom of the bezel while it was charging. Can it cause serious damage?
    01-07-12 12:25 AM
    What charger are you using? What was the playbook near?.. a watch or metal of some kind?
    You may have moved the charging cable and the connection was wiggled some?

Never heard of that happening before.

When charging I set my Playbook down so the USB or magnetic connection is not compromized.
    01-07-12 12:29 AM
    What charger are you using? What was the playbook near?.. a watch or metal of some kind?
    You may have moved the charging cable and the connection was wiggled some?

Never heard of that happening before.

When charging I set my Playbook down so the USB or magnetic connection is not compromized.
    It wasn't near anything metal. It was resting on a glass table. I'm using the standard USB charger. You're right, though. I don't see why anything on the PB would give a discharge.
    01-07-12 12:34 AM
    It could be there was not a solid connection with the USB.. I don't use the USB cable that came with the PB... I use the Rapid Charger with the magnetic connection... much easier and a solid connection for charging every time, and it charges it up faster.
    01-07-12 12:36 AM
    It could be there was not a solid connection with the USB.. I don't use the USB cable that came with the PB... I use the Rapid Charger with the magnetic connection... much easier and a solid connection for charging every time, and it charges it up faster.
    Yeah, that might've been it. I just hope that there wasn't any damage.
    01-07-12 12:41 AM
    I'm sure it's ok... I usually end up putting the charger on mine in the dark and find the Rapid Charger that has the magnetic connection is sooo much easier and saves the usb for hooking up to the PC for backups.
    01-07-12 12:53 AM
    Static "shock" sounds a bit unusual. The pb does appear to respond to some nearby electronics including sockets with too many other chargers/devices, plasma tv's and those "plasma balls" that display mini-lightning bolts. Some have also found some sockets in their homes to create odd interactions. If I recall, some glass surfaces can build up a charge - when rubbed with wool (was that a Mr Wizard show 50 years ago????)
    01-07-12 10:08 AM
    I never thought of glass doing that F2! I believe you are right.
    01-07-12 11:12 AM
    01-07-12 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD