I run Win 7 and a Playbook 64Gb with OS 2.1.0.1753 and the latest available desktop software. After updating to Win 7 from Vista, my Bold 9900 connected and did all its backups and syncs and file transfers without a problem. The Playbook, however, connected fine for backups but the PC refused to show the Z drive, and also refused to allow photo and music sync via the software. I searched all the posts here for solutions, tried as many as I could find, but none worked.

A friend in IT suggested this -which worked first time and now no problems.

Uninstall all BB software (I did it via Control panel in Windows -three programs to remove there), then type "uac" into the text box in the start menu (hit the windows button on the far left of the bottom task bar) and hit return. This opens up the Windows User Account Control. Push the slider down to the minimum setting, hit OK. The restart your PC and reinstall Bb desktop software -I downloaded mine from Blackberry.com.

I was concerned that I might lose some security with UAC on minimum, but have Malwarebytes installed (helped me get over a Trojan attack a few weeks ago and now an indispensable part of my defences -highly recommended) and Panda 2014 antivirus and am told I am well enough protected.

I had been so frustrated and so despondent with the apparent reduced functionality of my Playbook -now very happy it works again, and I have also successfully followed instructions to install Android Kindle app (as a .bar file) so now very happy indeed with my trusty and well-loved tablet still running perfectly and keeping up with the times!

I hope this info is helpful.
    03-11-14 07:58 AM
    There have been a number of posts recently about the PB having problems connecting with W7 computers, either through the BB Desktop Manager, or just via USB with W7 then installing drivers and the PB showing up as Drive Z. I'm now guessing it may be related to the last PB update (OS 2.1.0.1753), which did include security enhancements. Perhaps someone with more technical expertise would know.

Thanks for your sharing your fix.
    03-11-14 10:26 AM
    Common problem and a real pain the a$$. What I have found works virtually everytime for me is:

Disable all Blackberry Software from auto-starting with PC. Can be accomplished through MSCONFIG.

Step 1. Start Blackberry Device Manager first.
    Step 2. Connect Playbook. You may or may not get asked to enter the Password to connect to the device. If you do, this is typically all that is required and Z: drive will mount. If not, proceed to Step 3.
    Step 3. Start Blackberry Desktop Manager. It will usually run poorly and slowly. Go make some coffee, take a walk around the block, do some jumping jacks, whatever. Blackberry Desktop manager will then ask for password to connect to the device. Viola, Z: drive should be mounted.

Very occaisonally I have to go through this process up to three times, but most times it works like a charm. Almost seems to be a conflict bewteen the BBRY Device Manager and the Desktop Software.

Hope this works for you.
    03-11-14 10:41 AM
    I had the same problem and solved it by reading JCDammer solution here Blackberry Desktop does not see Playbook when conn... - Page 12 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    I think I was able to view my playbook by Go to Computer Management
    Open Network Devices and there it was.
    03-12-14 12:15 AM
    I found it with win 8 on occasion and you go to the notifications area, right click on the PB manager icon and mount the drive.

or navigate to the IP over wifi which is easier.
    03-12-14 01:01 PM
    Turn off wifi on the PlayBook. That might do it. May have to reboot.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 01:02 PM