Just a suggestion. If you are loving the PlayBook as much as you say you are, and as I do, you can do what I did. Figure out what your phone is worth. Go to your local flee market and swap it for a BB. That way you will be able to use some of the other features that Bridge can do. It didn't cost me a anything to. In fact I ended up with a brand new phone. There will always be bickering on forums. Try looking at peoples post count to see if they are new and a possible troll.
    Right now I am due for my next upgrade in March of 2013. I enjoy the Playbook without the bridge features so I am in no rush to switch at this time. Thank you for the suggestion. I do understand there is bickering but what I wrote before still stands, it is how I feel.
    10-24-12 05:02 PM
    ok, how did the ipad mini crush the PB
    10-24-12 05:29 PM
    I do have a question for the full-blooded PB enthusiast: can you see why folks on other platforms may not be wowed by Bridge? Just curious.
    Yes. However, I'll bet a kidney that there are a whole lot more BB users who might have been wowed if they were even aware of it, and probably some users of other devices as well. The sad truth is, it was never marketed. All I remember are the stupid ads showing all the mostly useless things that PlayBook could do at the same time that impressed pretty much nobody. What they should have been pushing was what the bridge does rather than the purported deficiencies it was claimed to poorly make up for. I'm not saying everybody would have busted the doors down to get one, but I'm pretty sure more tablet shoppers would have given it a closer look.
    10-24-12 06:52 PM
    Well, one thing's for sure....getting native PIM on the PlayBook didn't light up the sales. Angry, pharting birds win out every time with these consumer devices.
    10-24-12 07:15 PM
    That's not correct. Samsung came out with the original Galaxy Tab 7 6 months before RIM. Right out of the gate they had 3G on it. International versions had full phone capability as well. Let's not attribute achievements to RIM that they weren't responsible for.

Attachment 123675
    Ok - if I change it to "one of the first" - I still make the point I believe. And they were 1 year before Google's own and 1.5 years before Apple.
    10-24-12 07:20 PM
    Well, one thing's for sure....getting native PIM on the PlayBook didn't light up the sales. Angry, pharting birds win out every time with these consumer devices.
    Those angry pharting birds are better in stereo too![BOX][/BOX]
    10-24-12 07:25 PM
    Yes. However, I'll bet a kidney that there are a whole lot more BB users who might have been wowed if they were even aware of it, and probably some users of other devices as well. The sad truth is, it was never marketed. All I remember are the stupid ads showing all the mostly useless things that PlayBook could do at the same time that impressed pretty much nobody. What they should have been pushing was what the bridge does rather than the purported deficiencies it was claimed to poorly make up for. I'm not saying everybody would have busted the doors down to get one, but I'm pretty sure more tablet shoppers would have given it a closer look.
    I can get with that. It makes sense.
    10-24-12 09:35 PM
    Bridge allows communication and sensitive data to be retained on the BB phone only, for security reasons, which was one of the reasons PBs are the only tabs we are allowed to use at our facilities,as well as the aircraft manufacturers we do service work for and are also govt. contractors. It keeps our security protocols and BES easily managed. Native email and other data retaining features now available on the PB are disabled on ours, as well as our counterparts. IPads were never in the running for our needs and still aren't an option. For us, size was also a factor and an iPad mini won't change anything because it's still an iPad, with the same security issues, lack of Bridge and iTunes restrictions.
    iPads aren't suitable for security reasons at your facilities / the aircraft manufacturers / govt contractors. Really? A few iPad in aviation examples:

cnn.com/2012/09/14/travel/ipads-in-airline-cockpits/index.html

�iPads aren't new on the scene. The Federal Aviation Administration approved the use of the tablets in 2011, but American is the first commercial carrier to receive the agency's approval to use them in the cockpit during all phases of flight from gate to gate, including during landing and takeoff.

Many airlines are using flight apps, which don't require Wi-Fi once installed on the tablets.�

From your forum name I guess you may be more involved with rotorcraft. The American Airlines and �many airlines are using flight apps� examples above may not resonate. How's this one? US Marine pilots in Afghanistan flying attack helicopters. No security or space concerns there I suppose:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2011/06/10/ma...apon-the-ipad/

�There are hundreds of thousands of buildings in the area of operation. Essentially there is no room to carry all of the maps in the small cockpit of the Cobra. It can be a real inconvenience to pull them all out and reference them during flight,� explained Capt. Michael Christman, an AH-1W Cobra pilot with Marine Light Attack Squadron 267.�Instead of scanning sheets of paper, we type in a sector name or a four-digit grid coordinate and the iPad will center on the desired area,� said Blankenbicker.

-iPads in the cockpits of major airlines.
    -iPads in active duty US Marine attack helicopters.

Are they crazy or what? Think of the security implications.
    10-25-12 01:53 AM
    Ok - if I change it to "one of the first" - I still make the point I believe. And they were 1 year before Google's own and 1.5 years before Apple.
    That's ridiculous... Apple pretty much singlehandedly made the tablet market. Yeah, there were tablet-like devices before the iPad, the failed UMPC comes to mind, but none of them had the characteristics of the iPad. It's safe to say that neither the Nexus, the Galaxy nor the Playbook would have seen the light of day without the iPad.
    10-25-12 05:59 AM
    That's ridiculous... Apple pretty much singlehandedly made the tablet market. Yeah, there were tablet-like devices before the iPad, the failed UMPC comes to mind, but none of them had the characteristics of the iPad. It's safe to say that neither the Nexus, the Galaxy nor the Playbook would have seen the light of day without the iPad.
    Sure no one would've come out with one otherwise
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    10-25-12 06:27 AM
    Sure no one would've come out with one otherwise
    Tablets are not new, but they werent successfull because the os they ran on wasnt really optimized for it.
    Sure we would have tablets today without the ipad, but the huge market we have right now is because of the success of the ipad and the iphone.
    10-25-12 06:55 AM
    All I'm saying is if apple didn't do it someone else surely would have.
    10-25-12 07:02 AM
    Yes, but you could literally say that about every innovation/invention that has ever existed going back to the wheel. Thomas Edison (or whoever) and the lightbulb? No big deal, if he didn't do it, somebody else would have.... Alexander Bell and the telephone? No big deal, if he didn't do it, Watson would have. Marconi and the radio? No big deal, if he didn't do it, somebody else would have. Karl Benz and the automobile? No big deal, if he didn't do it, somebody else would have. Calculus and Newton? No big deal, if he didn't come up with it, somebody else surely would have. Push email? If RIM didn't do it, somebody else would have.... It goes on and on....

You might disagree, but I think most would say there is actual benefit and deserved recognition to being the first to do it.
    10-25-12 07:36 AM
    I can't argue with that. But it also doesn't mean that it's the only way and it won't be out done at some point. Recognition to apple for making the first consumer oriented tablet that is successful. They had better been watching RIM and learned you can't just rest on your past.
    10-25-12 07:45 AM
    CrackedBarry I am not disagreeing with you and if you read my posts comparing iPad and PlayBook you would see that clearly. iPad is currently the industry paradigm there is no question about it I even said in another post that if you take all of the "other" tabs sold to date I doubt they would come to half of the 100 million iPads sold to date. My point is solely that RIM identified a market for 7" tablets early on and could have been a leader - at the time how much competition was there in that space and the N7 wouldn't come for 1 more year and the iPad mini for 1 year 7 months. The idea was a good one. The execution - not so much.
    10-25-12 09:38 AM
    I can't argue with that. But it also doesn't mean that it's the only way and it won't be out done at some point.
    Of course not. The incandescent light bulb is such an item. Wired switched telephony is another. The CLI lost out to the GUI. In a couple of decades the 4-stroke gasoline powered engine might be on it's way. Newtonian physics gave way to Einsteinian physics. Everything gives way to something else eventually. The big question is, and it always has been, WHO will make "the next thing." In 2010, Apple was the first to the tablet market. Could somebody else have done it better? Perhaps they could have, but here's the thing, NOBODY ELSE DID.

When the tablet market gets old and is ready to be replaced by "the next big thing," will it be Apple who makes it? Who knows. It's quite possible it will be a company that doesn't even exist yet. Apple has a pretty decent track record though. They introduced the GUI to the general public, which killed off the CLI. They killed off physical media music with iPod and iTunes. Now they're basically killing the iPod market with the iPhone. They're definitely affecting the PC market with the iPad, which has pretty much killed off netbooks. Will it be Apple who creates the successor to the tablet? I don't know, but I'd give them at least a 50/50 chance.
    10-25-12 11:38 AM
    Lol, don't forget the Newton... imagine with some modern marketing sprinkled on it... people would be lining up in droves.

Anyways, the real reason Bridge is not trumpeted is because of the carriers... ATT actively blocked it when the Playbook was introduced. What modern phone carrier wants to lose a potential mobile device account?

The beauty of Bridge is that you have mobile access on your BB phone and your Playbook (you can run both independantly doing different online tasks) on one data plan. The carrier can't charge you for data use on the tablet, although ATT sure tried. No tethering, no hotspotting, pair them up and you have seamless connection. It's one of the amazingly well done things of the Playbook.
    10-25-12 11:46 AM
    My PB worked well for my purposes before bridge and still does.
    Bridge is a great addition on but I would still be using PB without it.
    Don't. Even carry a laptop any more.
    10-25-12 11:53 AM
    1. I'm curious what business applications it doesn't have currently and aren't coming to BB10?
    It doesn't have AAX, ADP Drive and a whole host of other Business Applications....
    ...I work in the I.T. dept of a medium sized company ( approx 200 people ) and watched everyone on a smart phone migrate away from Blackberry to ios or Droid.
    ...The reason they did it was because of a TOTAL lack of serious business applications.
    ...After that everyone with an ipad or Droid tablet watches Netflix on it.

2. Just because it doesn't have Netflix or Skype doesn't mean it is worthless. Frankly, I find Netflix worthless.. their content library is crap. I'd rather pay per view from the native video store on the PlayBook so I can actually watch movies worth watching.
    Alas, if only the majority of other consumers in the market for a phone or tablet looked at it the way you did.....
    ...The fact is that they don't look at it that way & RIM has nearly been destroyed because of THAT.
    ...The Playbook isn't functional compared to IOS or Droid & that's why it's not selling.

Last I heard, you could stream Amazon movies to the PB as well (although I haven't tried it).. Like you, I purchased 4 PB for various family members to video chat with while I'm at home or on the go (if needed).. so it has an alternate to Skype.. and rumor has it that Skype will be on BB10.
    3. I use my PB for work daily. Taking notes, keeping track of meetings, reading and responding to email, viewing and editing documents/presentations/spreadsheets, etc.
    I love my 9930 ( except the camera ) and use it all of the time and I love the U.I. and size of my Playbook......
    ...The ipad ( my work issued one ) beats the Playbook in nearly every category except for U.I.
    10-25-12 07:13 PM
    Yes, but you could literally say that about every innovation/invention that has ever existed going back to the wheel. Thomas Edison (or whoever) and the lightbulb? No big deal, if he didn't do it, somebody else would have.... Alexander Bell and the telephone? No big deal, if he didn't do it, Watson would have. Marconi and the radio? No big deal, if he didn't do it, somebody else would have. Karl Benz and the automobile? No big deal, if he didn't do it, somebody else would have. Calculus and Newton? No big deal, if he didn't come up with it, somebody else surely would have. Push email? If RIM didn't do it, somebody else would have.... It goes on and on....

You might disagree, but I think most would say there is actual benefit and deserved recognition to being the first to do it.
    You forgot Tesla
    10-25-12 07:42 PM
    There's no way to prove that, so all that is supposition.
    10-25-12 08:40 PM
    snip...
    The beauty of Bridge is that you have mobile access on your BB phone and your Playbook (you can run both independantly doing different online tasks) on one data plan.
    ...and the ugliness of Bridge is you need to be locked into RIM ecosystem, namely a Blackberry and a Playbook. Do you know how many people carry a iPad and Android phone or iPad and Blackberry? Walk the streets of NYC at lunchtime to get a small glimpse at a cross section of folks who don't own an iPhone but have an iPad and some other brand phone.

I wish RIM would of come out with a 9inch or better tablet first. It's adoption in the Foturne 500 may have been greater. Most of the people running these companies are reading documents on this (besides other things) like Powerpoint instead of carrying reams of paper from meeting to meeting. A larger screen will always be better for this, especially considering most of these old folk's eyesight is not that great.

I know PB fans won't agree with the last, but they are probably looking at their own use case scenario. I'm looking at what's actually being done, at least in NYC.
    10-25-12 08:52 PM
    I use the PlayBook to display songsheets on a tv screen at a monthly music jam. I put all the song sheets into a powerpoint presentation using MSOffice on Windows. I hit save, browse to my playbook that is sitting in my music bag and save the powerpoint file directly to my PlayBook. I then go to the Jam, pull out my HDMI cable and plug the PB into the TV and walk away. I sit on the other side of the room, pull out my 9790, start the bridge app and we do our jam and we all have fun.

iPad does not have PowerPoint that I know of and it costs $50 fo an HDMI adapter. I cannot move files onto it natively, I cannot control my iPad with my phone natively either. All this could be done with the iPad, but it was far easier and cheaper using standards and native playbook features.

Whenever I know I am going to be away from my computer, I bring my PlayBook and I get work done. I do not have to look for a hotspot as long as my phone is in my pocket. If I am doing work that requires precision, I can use my phone as a trackpad, my PlayBook has a cursor Bridge gives it to me. No matter what, Incannot get a cursor on iOS and it makes me insane.
    10-25-12 10:32 PM
    One more thing about bridge is that you don't have to think about it. Bluetooth is always on on both devices so if my WiFi drops, Bridge takes over. No battery consumption unless I am moving data, no connecting and disconnecting, no turning on and off of my wifi hotspot and no extra carrier charges. Bridge just works without user prompts, it is brilliant and I love it, haters need to remove their blinders.
    10-25-12 10:44 PM
    Now that you know how much I like my PB with bridge, I also have to admit that as far as the media and tech blogosphere is concerned, the PB is totally irrelevant. This is a product that is far and away superior to the original and nearly identical looking Kindle Fire yet the Fire was and still is heralded by the tech press while the PlayBook is totally ignored and forgotten. The release of a small and inexpensive iPad really paints a bleak picture for the future of this amazing product (PlayBook). The iPad is lovely, has a crappy UI that people love, It has all the apps on earth and now it is cheap. The only way any manufacturer has a hope now is with a competitive iTunes like ecosystem (I hate that word in this context) and that is not likely possible. Apple just guaranreed that there is no money to be made in hardware for anybody but them.
    10-25-12 11:05 PM
143 ... 3456