Now over 2 years post-release the BlackBerry PlayBook remains incomplete.
    I'm curious as to why you feel it is incomplete? Because it doesn't have Skype or crappy Netflix?
    10-24-12 10:00 AM
    i think apple and google each has more fart apps than rim has decent apps in total tbh
    10-24-12 11:12 AM
    . The only reason RIM even released it without native PIM services was because they were banking on people being content with using their handsets for email, contacts, calendar, etc.
    I don't agree. I think that it was easier to develop Bridge than get native email on the PlayBook because they hadn't figured out how to do it yet and still have that BB feel to it with push and all and how current BB phones utilize the NOC. They have, for the most part, went to Active Sync instead of pushing things from the NOC tied to the PIN on the PlayBook. Because the email account one would have on their BB phone is already going through the NOC and tied to the PIN that is on your BB. The system forever ago was never set up for that same email account to be tied to 2 different PINs

That said, you did make some really good points.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 10-24-12 at 11:34 AM.
    10-24-12 11:19 AM
    Bridge was a stop gap solution because the PlayBook wasn't ready at launch. Now it has some great features but at 1st that is exactly what it was designed for. The functionality of bridge, other than a data connection, at start is now all native on the PlayBook. The additions from start till now still make it a feature packed awesome feature.

So that said, DOA without bridge, it depends on how you look at it. When it came out we were in a situation where native PIM wasn't there. But there is bridge so if you have a BB then it's an acceptable option. Now if you don't, and we didn't get the native PIM for so long, anyone that was looking at the PlayBook and waiting for native PIM apps has moved on. The sale that would have been will probably not happen almost a year after launch because that person has picked up something newer.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my PlayBook from the beginning and am very happy with it. I knew what I was getting myself into and for me, it works and I love it. I'm a multitasking mad-man and there is STILL no other tablet that does it better! If Android hasn't done it yet, then I really see a bright future for QNX. RIM is doing it right, finally.

Sorry kinda got off topic there but if RIM gets the apps there BB10 will juggle them like no other OS can.
    10-24-12 11:45 AM
    i think apple and google each has more fart apps than rim has decent apps in total tbh
    So how is that a good thing? I could care less the total number of apps on any platform, I just want number of solid useful apps (i.e. I don't need 5,000 average flashlight apps, I just need one solid flashlight app). I laugh when people spout off about how many apps are in iTunes and Google Play... my question back is "How many are worth a sh*t?" and my follow up question is "How many of those do you actually use?"
    Toodeurep and rotorwrench like this.
    10-24-12 11:48 AM
    Ahh, well you see the dedicated fart apps on iPads are dedicated tablet apps, which really takes advantage of the space of the screen and provides a better user experience.

The dedicated fart apps on the Playbook on the other hand, are mostly Android apps, which are really stretched out phone apps. They neither look as good nor provides the user with as much fart-functionality as a real tablet app.

(This also holds true for non-fart apps, obviously!)
    Remember, BlackBerry is for "People who Do". So It is a GOOD thing that the fart apps on PlayBook are inferior quality, because no one actually needs them...
    10-24-12 12:47 PM
    Well just don't you forget that our crappy fart apps are in full stereo sound so top that!
    Toodeurep and JeepBB like this.
    10-24-12 12:54 PM
    Well just don't you forget that our crappy fart apps are in full stereo sound so top that!
    Best post on the thread.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    10-24-12 12:58 PM
    Yup, a prerequisite for me for getting the Playbook was playing those full stereo sound farts for my 8 year old son! He couldn't be happier!
    kbz1960 and Toodeurep like this.
    10-24-12 01:08 PM
    Remember, BlackBerry is for "People who Do". So It is a GOOD thing that the fart apps on PlayBook are inferior quality, because no one actually needs them...
    The question is "do what"?

Can't do any serious business applications on the Playbook and can't do Netflix or Skype.....
    ...I'm a huge fan of the U.I. on the Playbook but aside from that it isn't functional compared to an ipad.
    ...I bought three of them because it was a good deal for Video chat.
    10-24-12 01:14 PM
    So does no one at RIM use BlackBerrys then, did they quietly switch everyone over to Android or iPhones and that's why they haven't shipped new product in a year?

Is everyone at Apple using BlackBerry and that's why they've got $100B banked?
    10-24-12 01:59 PM
    So does no one at RIM use BlackBerrys
    Well there was the one press-conference where the RIM's former CEO's kept expressing surprise that the developer, when showing off one of the new upcoming games, kept using his thumbs and fingers on the screen. Which naturally led to the statement, "well duh, how else do you think the Playbook would be used".
    10-24-12 02:17 PM
    So does no one at RIM use BlackBerrys then, did they quietly switch everyone over to Android or iPhones and that's why they haven't shipped new product in a year?

ZING!
    10-24-12 02:21 PM

They actually have shipped new products within the last year. If I remember correctly, there have been a few new Curves shipped along with an LTE version of the PlayBook. Regardless, they are working on a new platform (of which I'm sure you already know)... so I'm not sure the purpose of your comment.
    10-24-12 02:45 PM

Can't do any serious business applications on the Playbook and can't do Netflix or Skype.....
    ...I'm a huge fan of the U.I. on the Playbook but aside from that it isn't functional compared to an ipad.
    1. I'm curious what business applications it doesn't have currently and aren't coming to BB10?
    2. Just because it doesn't have Netflix or Skype doesn't mean it is worthless. Frankly, I find Netflix worthless.. their content library is crap. I'd rather pay per view from the native video store on the PlayBook so I can actually watch movies worth watching. Last I heard, you could stream Amazon movies to the PB as well (although I haven't tried it).. Like you, I purchased 4 PB for various family members to video chat with while I'm at home or on the go (if needed).. so it has an alternate to Skype.. and rumor has it that Skype will be on BB10.
    3. I use my PB for work daily. Taking notes, keeping track of meetings, reading and responding to email, viewing and editing documents/presentations/spreadsheets, etc.
    10-24-12 02:52 PM
    I have to be honest here. Apple just crushed the 7" tablet market. The saving grace for us BB lovers is Bridge. Having the ability to directly link to a phone and use it to text and message as well as email makes the PlayBook the only other tablet with enough inovation to withstand this new launch. There are also a lot of other Bridge features that help make the PlayBook different but I feel sorry for all the other smaller tablets on the market.
    The PB owner's without BB phones that love their tablets disagree.
    10-24-12 03:07 PM
    1. I'm curious what business applications it doesn't have currently and aren't coming to BB10?
    2. Just because it doesn't have Netflix or Skype doesn't mean it is worthless. Frankly, I find Netflix worthless.. their content library is crap. I'd rather pay per view from the native video store on the PlayBook so I can actually watch movies worth watching. Last I heard, you could stream Amazon movies to the PB as well (although I haven't tried it).. Like you, I purchased 4 PB for various family members to video chat with while I'm at home or on the go (if needed).. so it has an alternate to Skype.. and rumor has it that Skype will be on BB10.
    3. I use my PB for work daily. Taking notes, keeping track of meetings, reading and responding to email, viewing and editing documents/presentatioeadsheets, etc.
    No one can say that BB devices are not workhorses. There are reasons why serious people who, uh, "do" might use other platforms. I used a BB as the PERFECT work companion for years, and in fact, I based my definition of what a smartphone should do on BB as the blueprint.

However, my needs evolved, and I do more on my current platform now. There are quite a number productivity things I can do now that I cannot replicate effectively or easily on BB. As always, my needs are unique.
    10-24-12 03:13 PM
    The general failure of the PlayBook as a product has more to do with the relative decline of BlackBerry *phones* in the carrier stores. Think about it. The very first place the average public (not folks who buy directly from Apple) saw iPads was in the Verizon and AT&T stores. The iPad was an easier sell to the iPhone buyers. Then the iPad had 3G so it also was convenient for business users that maybe had a non Apple phone and would end up buying an iPad as a mobile computing device.

Then you had Samsung come in with tablets in the carrier stores as well and see modest success for the same reasons. I had a friend that bought an iPhone and then ended up buying a 7" Galaxy tab with it and with a data plan attached all because it came free with the iPhone purchase.

Now in contrast look at RIM. The BlackBerry OS 7 phones were made less and less visible by the carriers early on. Remember the rumors Sprint would carry the PlayBook? Then nope. Remember AT&T getting PO'ed about the bridge? And now over a year later we have the first PlayBook that can even work standalone yet is missing BBM.

It just seems to me the carriers could have made the PlayBook move some if it could do 3G, if it had BBM, if it had native email, and if the BlackBerry 7 phones were received better. RIM just kind of damaged the PlayBook's chances with the carriers is my opinion.
    10-24-12 03:18 PM

LOL And I suppose the businesses, medical clinics, law enforcement, govt. agencies etc....including my company (we have 8) just use them for browsing and playing games, right? Especially the ones mounted in our aircraft, which I've previously posted pics of. Shhhhhh....don't tell anyone our pilots and tech personnel are really just playing DeadSpace when we're supposed to be working Good one bro.
    10-24-12 03:21 PM
    DOA? Oh puh-lease...
    How about just showing a little gratitude that RIM even made the darn tablet?! Wifi-sharing, Side-loading, Bridge, NFS streaming?? FLASH??? Helloooo?!?
    10-24-12 03:22 PM
    DOA? Oh puh-lease...
    How about just showing a little gratitude that RIM even made the darn tablet?! Wifi-sharing, Side-loading, Bridge, NFS streaming?? FLASH??? Helloooo?!?
    I always thought that it was the job of the corporations to show gratitude to consumers for purchasing their products; not the other way around.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    10-24-12 03:39 PM
    Bridge was a stop gap solution because the PlayBook wasn't ready at launch. Now it has some great features but at 1st that is exactly what it was designed for. The functionality of bridge, other than a data connection, at start is now all native on the PlayBook. The additions from start till now still make it a feature packed awesome feature.

So that said, DOA without bridge, it depends on how you look at it. When it came out we were in a situation where native PIM wasn't there. But there is bridge so if you have a BB then it's an acceptable option. Now if you don't, and we didn't get the native PIM for so long, anyone that was looking at the PlayBook and waiting for native PIM apps has moved on. The sale that would have been will probably not happen almost a year after launch because that person has picked up something newer.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my PlayBook from the beginning and am very happy with it. I knew what I was getting myself into and for me, it works and I love it. I'm a multitasking mad-man and there is STILL no other tablet that does it better! If Android hasn't done it yet, then I really see a bright future for QNX. RIM is doing it right, finally.

Sorry kinda got off topic there but if RIM gets the apps there BB10 will juggle them like no other OS can.
    Not true, and RIM even stated the fact before release. Initially the PB was targeted at existing BB users only. Bridge allows communication and sensitive data to be retained on the BB phone only, for security reasons, which was one of the reasons PBs are the only tabs we are allowed to use at our facilities,as well as the aircraft manufacturers we do service work for and are also govt. contractors. It keeps our security protocols and BES easily managed. Native email and other data retaining features now available on the PB are disabled on ours, as well as our counterparts. IPads were never in the running for our needs and still aren't an option. For us, size was also a factor and an iPad mini won't change anything because it's still an iPad, with the same security issues, lack of Bridge and iTunes restrictions.
    10-24-12 03:43 PM
    I always thought that it was the job of the corporations to show gratitude to consumers for purchasing their products; not the other way around.
    Hence, making BB10 compatible with the Playbook. There's your gratitude from RIM
    10-24-12 03:52 PM
    Ugh, I feel compelled to ask why every other post is about either bashing Apple or the Playbook? I do not understand. This is a BB forum folks. If you need to justify why the Playbook works for you then you should have never bought a Playbook, don't you agree? I bought mine a couple of months ago and I had the choice of what to buy. I do not even have a BB phone to bridge it with. I have an Android phone. I am bored with the phone but do I bash Android? Nope. My phone is essentially to text and make calls. I have used Apple products(not my own) but for me, they really do not justify the price but if I ever change my mind, I will buy an Apple product. I went with Android for my phone so I would be able to customize my phone. I like to tinker. I customized it. It was fun. Now I just use it for communication. I do not have the time to use it for anything else. I rarely even go into the market anymore to get apps. I bought the Playbook to use as a computer for either me or anyone in my family that did not want to use the laptop. It serves us very well. I have all my favorite websites bookmarked, I read my blogs that I follow, I use Facebook, I listen to music, read books, play some really awesome games on it. I sideloaded a bunch of apps to complete the tablet and honestly me and family have a lot of fun on it. It is a useful tool to us.

I joined these boards to learn more about what it can do, get helpful advice and hints and was thinking that everyone would think positivitely about the Playbook because these are Blackberry forums and this forum is dedicated solely to the Playbook. But every other post seems to be a lot of bashing. Instead of trying to justify why the Playbook is great or sucks, either use it and be happy or sell it and get over it and buy something that suits your needs. I am sorry to vent, but sometimes all the negativity bothers me.
    Just a suggestion. If you are loving the PlayBook as much as you say you are, and as I do, you can do what I did. Figure out what your phone is worth. Go to your local flee market and swap it for a BB. That way you will be able to use some of the other features that Bridge can do. It didn't cost me a anything to. In fact I ended up with a brand new phone. There will always be bickering on forums. Try looking at peoples post count to see if they are new and a possible troll.
    10-24-12 04:04 PM
    [QUOTE=00stryder;7691507] The only reason RIM even released it without native PIM services was because they were banking on people being content with using their handsets for email, contacts, calendar, etc.

That's me. And I am not ashamed to say it suits me just fine. You see, I'm a senior and I don't need app games. PB is getting more and more apps as time goes on. And at $199 for a 64 Gb tablet it will turn out to be a wise investment. And when BB10 comes out, I'll be smiling even more.

And oh, by the way, I don't have a smartphone, just a great made-in-Sweden cellphone with useful features. And I pay $15/mo. + tax. I'm smiling all the way to the bank.
    10-24-12 04:04 PM
143 ... 23456