A little bit about me first:

I'm mainly an Apple guy (Have an iPhone and Pod) but I keep circling back looking at BB products for various reasons, mainly their perceived performance for their cost. My most recent flirtation with BB products is the super cheap (Read: $90 for a 64GB Playbook) products and accessories I'm finding out there. I understand support for the PlayBook recently ended, but I suppose I the question I have is this:
    Is the PlayBook still a good value? Why or why not? Also, is there a chance BB10 will ever be loaded onto PlayBook or did that theory die when Thor left?

As for a little background, my main use for the device will be web surfing; I have plenty of other devices to stream video.
    06-06-14 04:36 PM
    I am still using both my PlayBook 's...one is an LTE model, and the other is just a WI-FI model...both of which I bough at their launch dates...for my LTE one, I use it heavily on the road with a BlackBerry Bluetooth keyboard (which comes with a case for both, and the keyboard is the only one of its size that I found with a built in track pad)...I can stream Windows 7 to it (remote desktop via Splashpad) when I need it, send BBM's and text messages via BlackBerry Bridge, and use it like a laptop, or hook it up via HDMI and take out the keyboard and use it on the couch with the PlayBook on the 52"...Works excellent with the full desktop Web browser (Flash and HTML 5)...and plays movies and music well...there are some great games for it to kill time on the plane, or hotel...My WI Fi model is permanently hooked to my home theater, and is the device I use via BlackBerry Bridge as well to remote control it from the couch to stream or buy and play movies (better quality than the stuff we were getting from Netflix)...or use it to play my music collection...if I can remember to try out some Bluetooth game pads on it, it will take a lot away from my 360 as well as the war games on it (Modern Combat series for example) look and play every bit as good as the Call of Duty games for 360...

Posted via CB10
    06-06-14 04:57 PM
    $90 dollars for a 64G plus accessories is dirt cheap for a tablet of BlackBerry calibre. It's a solid well built device. It makes good video and audio and book reader device. However, when it comes to web surfing you might get frustrated by the slower than regular tablets in the market. Especially someone who owned an ipod touch before. It's pretty subjective whether you can tolerate the speed and checkered board. There is zero chance the current playbook will ever get the BB10 support. You'll be lucky if the company had any plan to release another tablet with BB10 in the future. Not even the CEO can tell you at this point.
    So if you are curious and $90 is not a big deal to you. Dive in! There are plenty of existing threads and knowledgeable playbook owners here that can help you troubleshoot should you encounter any issues with the tablet.
    06-06-14 04:57 PM
    A little bit about me first:

I'm mainly an Apple guy (Have an iPhone and Pod) but I keep circling back looking at BB products for various reasons, mainly their perceived performance for their cost. My most recent flirtation with BB products is the super cheap (Read: $90 for a 64GB Playbook) products and accessories I'm finding out there. I understand support for the PlayBook recently ended, but I suppose I the question I have is this:
    Is the PlayBook still a good value? Why or why not? Also, is there a chance BB10 will ever be loaded onto PlayBook or did that theory die when Thor left?

As for a little background, my main use for the device will be web surfing; I have plenty of other devices to stream video.
    So as an Apple user, I'm curious how you feel when you encounter a flash intensive webpage, e.g. video, when browsing. Most people I know just go nonchalantly on and say "oh well" and forget about it. I get up at arms when I don't get a desktop experience on a mobile device and blame Apple for the messed up flash/html5 situation and the need for a million apps to view CNN, BBC, etc. I'm not judging or crucifying Apple users, just curious is all.

To answer your question, I find web browsing perfectly adequate on the PB and I have android devices (Nexus 7 2012/KitKat) as well to compare against. I think BB10 devices are very fast web browsing ( I just got a Z30). But as was said, no chance of that or any further OS support on the PlayBook. Of course, Apple devices are not encumbered with flash and javascript, so they should be pretty fast, but they are just not for me because they don't give any options. You can turn off flash and javascript on the PlayBook and it becomes quite fast as well but what is the point if you lose content? If you are just interested in a cheap, well made device, the PlayBook should do well for you. You will also be surprised at the sound with music and videos.

As for value, you can get quad core android devices with better resolution screens for around $150 (PB is dual core). But we like it here on the PB forum. LOL/ You might also look at the Windows 8.X Pro tabs as well if you can spend more. .

Oh, and there is no "back" button but a purely gesture-based navigation with the OS. If you do get one, I'd be interested in your perspective of that as an Apple user.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 06-06-14 at 08:32 PM.
    06-06-14 08:13 PM
    So as an Apple user, I'm curious how you feel when you encounter a flash intensive webpage, e.g. video, when browsing. Most people I know just go nonchalantly on and say "oh well" and forget about it. I get up at arms when I don't get a desktop experience on a mobile device and blame Apple for the messed up flash/html5 situation and the need for a million apps to view CNN, BBC, etc. I'm not judging or crucifying Apple users, just curious is all.

To answer your question, I find web browsing perfectly adequate on the PB and I have android devices (Nexus 7 2012/KitKat) as well to compare against. I think BB10 devices are very fast web browsing ( I just got a Z30). But as was said, no chance of that or any further OS support on the PlayBook. Of course, Apple devices are not encumbered with flash and javascript, so they should be pretty fast, but they are just not for me because they don't give any options. You can turn off flash and javascript on the PlayBook and it becomes quite fast as well but what is the point if you lose content? If you are just interested in a cheap, well made device, the PlayBook should do well for you. You will also be surprised at the sound with music and videos. You might also look at the Windows 8.X Pro tabs as well if you can spend more. .

Oh, and there is no "back" button but a purely gesture-based navigation with the OS. If you do get one, I'd be interested in your perspective of that as an Apple user.
    As for the whole Flash situation, it is a tad frustrating but no reason to get steaming mad over it.
    06-06-14 08:26 PM
    Just to follow up Gooseberry, the learning curve regarding the swipe motion isn't as bad as I thought. The tutorial did a great job in regards to teaching one how to master it.
    06-10-14 09:35 PM
    Im one of those who just picked up a Playbook too. Had a Nexus 7 and just tired of the Android clutter all over the system...lots of stuff I could not delete...and frankly just like the BB operations on my phones. Im still learning how to use this thing...but liking it so far. With help on the forums here Ive figured out how to rip a dvd and make it a mp4 to play on the PB. Other help is guiding me to sideload my Kindle books so I can use it ereader. Its heavier than my Nexus but is so well built. And such a beautiful sound from the speakers. Have to admit it...apps are real weak..but still have enough games and the basics for using it for entertainment. The web browser is slow...ok....slow. But workable. Loving mine...and for the price....go for it!
    06-10-14 10:30 PM
    Yeah I would buy one for the heck of trying it out yourself! $90 is a win/win as you can always sell it for a bit more. I own two that are being used on a nightly basis since 2011. Had three but sold one. Purchased two of the authentic keyboards recently and ended up selling one of them as I was offered 3x more than what I paid for it. I can still pick up another one that is brand new if anyone's wants it. For my trouble, I would resell at $100 plus shipping, otherwise not worth the effort, let us know how you like the PB if you pull the trigger!

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-10-14 10:52 PM
    Yeah I would buy one for the heck of trying it out yourself! $90 is a win/win as you can always sell it for a bit more. I own two that are being used on a nightly basis since 2011. Had three but sold one. Purchased two of the authentic keyboards recently and ended up selling one of them as I was offered 3x more than what I paid for it. I can still pick up another one that is brand new if anyone's wants it. For my trouble, I would resell at $100 plus shipping, otherwise not worth the effort, let us know how you like the PB if you pull the trigger!

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    I did get it today and so far I'm quite impressed. Once you look past the lack of apps, you get to see what a great piece of technology it is. Would I have liked BB 10? Of course, but even without it for $90 I'd call it a borderline steal for 64 gigs.
    anon(5597702) and jrsva2008 like this.
    06-10-14 10:58 PM
    No.
    06-11-14 03:23 PM
    I did get it today and so far I'm quite impressed. Once you look past the lack of apps, you get to see what a great piece of technology it is. Would I have liked BB 10? Of course, but even without it for $90 I'd call it a borderline steal for 64 gigs.
    Glad you like it. Must say I'm quite surprised that you do.

For the vast, vast majority, the PlayBook does not represent good value. It's only worth having if you have very, VERY specific requirements from a tablet.

I still use mine. I had a Nexus 10 (and others before it) but sold it. I can tolerate the PlayBook's glaring flaws, and hold onto it for its few unique strengths.

Posted via CB10
    jrsva2008 likes this.
    06-11-14 03:31 PM
    Playbook will most likely never get BB10. I think the only advantage the playbook has for web surfing is flash support, if you consider that an advantage.
    06-11-14 03:46 PM
    Glad you like it. Must say I'm quite surprised that you do.

For the vast, vast majority, the PlayBook does not represent good value. It's only worth having if you have very, VERY specific requirements from a tablet.

I still use mine. I had a Nexus 10 (and others before it) but sold it. I can tolerate the PlayBook's glaring flaws, and hold onto it for its few unique strengths.

Posted via CB10
    I think the 64 GB PB still has value at $90 even though it is 3+years old. There was a poster here wanting a tab <$100. I thought it would be easy to find something a little better than the PB. But android devices were dual core and 800X480 resolution, 4 GB memory, etc. Some of the reviews said they only lasted a week. LOL. The best would be a Hisense Sero Pro, if you absolutely needed android apps and a little over $100. Maybe a 1st gen iPad?

That's why I asked the questions about flash and the "back" button. If the OP didn't really care about that, he really wouldn't appreciate the PB and it wouldn't have any value. The PB strengths are the gesture based OS, multitasking, build quality, near desktop browsing (pretty fast with Origami browser), great sound (music and video), decent screen resolution, HDMI out, and bridge (with a BBRY phone). It has enough game apps for entertainment. That's why I use it a lot and it has value to me. Yes, it could have been much better...
    Cynycl likes this.
    06-11-14 05:57 PM
    I have a PlayBook 32gig Wifi. I've use it partly for work. Being on call 24/7 means I need to stay connected at all times. Paired with my Z10 I can access my systems at work directly through the Browser or by remote desktop or logmein. BlackBerry bridge is extremely useful. Otherwise I surf or watch the occasional TV show while commuting. I have a few games on it but I don't use them much. The PlayBook is well built and still quite useful for my needs. If I couldn't do all of the above, as much as it pains me to say this, I would likely opt for an iPad Mini.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 06:17 PM
    One other question: I have a BBM username but not a BB phone so I can't bridge between the two. Is there a way I can get BBM on my PlayBook?
    06-11-14 07:09 PM
    Unfortunately not, Andy. It's a mystery what on earth RIM was thinking when they released a blackberry tablet that can't run BBM.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 08:33 PM
    I want one so that I can pair it up with my Q10 I have aa galaxy tab 3 only because sprint gave it to me for free but I really want a BlackBerry pb makes a better partner for my Q10!!! Will be ordering soon on ebay can't wait to start the bidding

Posted via CB10
    06-11-14 09:24 PM
    Unfortunately not, Andy. It's a mystery what on earth RIM was thinking when they released a blackberry tablet that can't run BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, there's a iOS and android BBM app but not for PB. I don't think the android app sideloads but check in the PB app forum for that.

Edit: I guess not.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...coming-898792/
    Next purchase should be Z30. It works by bridge.
    Deepak Sharma20 likes this.
    06-12-14 09:31 AM
    I just got he playbook 64 gb for 90 bucks and I am loving it! It's very smooth and the app is not there (very exaggerated)

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 08:10 PM
    Looking for unique and cool apps for your playbook, check out my upcoming service at New Blackberry Playbook app store (still in development) - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com Thank you for your time.
    06-17-14 04:34 PM