so today i went to turn my playbook on and when i did i didn't turn on so i thought nothing of it and pluged it in to the charger but now al that happens is the LED flashes red 2 every few seconds and it wont boot or charge any help on this please ?
    08-07-11 06:54 AM
    I would take it off the charger for a few hours (12-24) then plug it back up and see what happens from there. If that doesn't work take it back to where ever you bought and you should not have a problem getting a new one (providing you haven't voided your warranty).

The last thing I would do is contact RIM as I have read from multiple crackberry users how unhelpful they were (I don't know this for myself).

Sorry mate and best of luck to you.
    Last edited by bounce007; 08-07-11 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Misspelt word
    HackBerry123 likes this.
    08-07-11 07:12 AM
    so today i went to turn my playbook on and when i did i didn't turn on so i thought nothing of it and pluged it in to the charger but now al that happens is the LED flashes red 2 every few seconds and it wont boot or charge any help on this please ?
    Keep it plugged in to the charger...hold the power, volume up/down and play buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds or so.
    HackBerry123 likes this.
    08-07-11 08:28 AM
    As well as Dominic's suggestion - you can sometimes just hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds or so to really force it off. Leave it, then press it again. But the 3-button reset is a good option.

Good luck
    HackBerry123 likes this.
    08-07-11 09:10 AM
    ill try now
    08-07-11 09:26 AM
    just tried that and when i hold all three buttons for 20 seconds the led stops flashing but the playbook dose nothing and as soon as i press the power button the led starts flashing again so i thought id just leave it plugged in and see if it charges
    Crayden likes this.
    08-07-11 09:51 AM
    I posted a reply in the thread "frozen playbook" about my completely unresponsive pb, describing my experience. Long story short, what brought mine back to life was plugging it into my desk computer via the usb cable. It took many attempts of plugging in and unplugging it, but eventually I was able to communicate with it through the Blackberry desktop software. I disagree with one of the previous posters who said not to bother contacting RIM - I found them to be very responsive and helpful. In fact, the technician even phoned me the next day to make sure everything was still working ok.
    bounce007 likes this.
    08-07-11 10:59 AM
    i just went through the same problem

the playbook will blink twice red

plug it into your computer
    it will say that it can't communicate
    on that screen it will say
    retry, update, cancel
    hit update

it will retore your playbook. just let it go through its paces. when its done, hook it up to the wall charger and let it charge. it should come back to life after 20%.
    08-07-11 11:15 AM
    I'm having a similar issue with mine. Currently it won't charge. When I press the power button it shows the red LED followed by 5 yellow flashes which indicates a dead battery. If I put it on charge it will say it's fully charged in a few seconds. I can use it if it's plugged in but it will shut down when unplugged.

If you can switch it on it's well worth buying the 'Battery Guru' app as it will give much more detail about the condition and current state of charging.

If you leave it for a few hours or a day or 2 you'll probably find it will work perfectly again, but for how long is anyone's guess. Mine has done this 3 times now so got an RMA just waiting for the replacement. Check my previous posts for more info on this issue.

Good luck!

Oh and I've reinstalled the OS twice which didn't make any difference.
    08-07-11 12:15 PM
    I posted a reply in the thread "frozen playbook" about my completely unresponsive pb, describing my experience. Long story short, what brought mine back to life was plugging it into my desk computer via the usb cable. It took many attempts of plugging in and unplugging it, but eventually I was able to communicate with it through the Blackberry desktop software. I disagree with one of the previous posters who said not to bother contacting RIM - I found them to be very responsive and helpful. In fact, the technician even phoned me the next day to make sure everything was still working ok.
    I also had very good exp. withe the tech's from rim... Very helpfull
    08-07-11 10:35 PM
    Keep it plugged in to the charger...hold the power, volume up/down and play buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds or so.
    ^ this, if that doesn't work then you definitely have a DOA (or a dud battery), the fact that you are getting a red light means it's working in one way or another.
    08-08-11 07:09 AM
    This just happen to me today was at a restaurant then it turned off didn't want to turn on my battery life was in the 60's. Called customer support they stated to cycle power on and off with charger 5 times but when i tried that iy didn't turn on the first time. So i called once again customer support they stated to press power and volume button which restores battery to whic original state when it turned off. After doing that my pb 64gb is back on running great yippy. This had me worried for a minute lol. Hope my issue can help someone else here.
    09-09-11 08:28 PM
    This just happen to me today was at a restaurant then it turned off didn't want to turn on my battery life was in the 60's. Called customer support they stated to cycle power on and off with charger 5 times but when i tried that iy didn't turn on the first time. So i called once again customer support they stated to press power and volume button which restores battery to whic original state when it turned off. After doing that my pb 64gb is back on running great yippy. This had me worried for a minute lol. Hope my issue can help someone else here.
    Did u have to hold both volume control or just one of them?? This issue started this morning for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-11 10:26 PM
    Did u have to hold both volume control or just one of them?? This issue started this morning for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    First try this hold at the same tim low,play, and high volume button if that doesn'y work then hold this at the same time power and high volume button.
    09-10-11 09:02 AM
    i just went through the same problem

the playbook will blink twice red

plug it into your computer
    it will say that it can't communicate
    on that screen it will say
    retry, update, cancel
    hit update

it will retore your playbook. just let it go through its paces. when its done, hook it up to the wall charger and let it charge. it should come back to life after 20%.
    I tried this option (along with all others listed above/below), and when I hit update, it still can't connect to my playbook. It has been 2 days, and it is really annoying!
    peen likes this.
    09-22-11 11:08 PM
    worth to try and YES it did worked! pressing all the 3 buttons POWER+ 2 VOLUMES, it took just twice of the try and within a seconds it turned on, but honestly i really want to know the main reason of the shutdown. My theory is that during the browsing of videos and so on it just lagged then pffffft turned off. Maybe reasons behind these are viruses during the browsing as i can see laptops and desktops should have one of the anti's to survive against many threats. Considering tablets is seemingly same specs ALMOST with laptops and deks. just a theory. Well for me hope mine will not come into twice happening 'coz if that so need to send it back either shift to apple (w/c i dont wanna happen then)
    10-21-11 03:20 AM
    worth to try and YES it did worked! pressing all the 3 buttons POWER+ 2 VOLUMES, it took just twice of the try and within a seconds it turned on, but honestly i really want to know the main reason of the shutdown. My theory is that during the browsing of videos and so on it just lagged then pffffft turned off. Maybe reasons behind these are viruses during the browsing as i can see laptops and desktops should have one of the anti's to survive against many threats. Considering tablets is seemingly same specs ALMOST with laptops and deks. just a theory. Well for me hope mine will not come into twice happening 'coz if that so need to send it back either shift to apple (w/c i dont wanna happen then)
    A. Hang
    1. Viruses on a brand new O.S is quite a zero probability
    2. Crashing your browser or UI, resulting in a system hang is more probable

B. Viruses and other plateforms
    1. As stated in A, the older (and exposed) the OS is, the higher the risk are
    2. Never hang on Ipad (or any other device) ? That's a legend.

More simple way to do a hard ...
    1. stop : keep the stop button down for almost 15 seconds
    2. reset : keep the '+' and stop button until the red light goes on (still) and let your PB restart.
    the_other_island likes this.
    10-21-11 03:43 AM
    Thanks so much for the posts- my playbook shut down (daughter was playing Scrapbook app and it went go below 20% charge I guess for 1st time) . I kinda panicked when charging it over night didn't do anything. Then I remembered this forum and post - yeah!! The 3 button method got it up again - was fully charged but needed the kick start.
    01-30-12 06:08 PM
    2 flashing red LED lights in a blink blink pause sequence is a BOOT ROM error; you need to reload the software, it is not related to charging. Flashing red and then amber/yellow lights are battery drain issues, you need to stack charge for 2 minutes, then disconnect for 2 minutes. Perform a stack charge for about 10 reps then try powering on. Red flashing LED followed by green LED is a critically low battery which has drained below it's reserve. Not even a 100 stack charges will help you ! Buy a rapid charger, charge it up, than return it.
    If you need help with a software reload, my suggestion is to call tech support, if hitting update isn't reloading the software, than some troubleshooting may need to happen with the computer.
    Good luck!
    01-30-12 10:32 PM
    2 flashing red LED lights in a blink blink pause sequence is a BOOT ROM error; you need to reload the software, it is not related to charging. ...
    If you need help with a software reload, my suggestion is to call tech support, if hitting update isn't reloading the software, than some troubleshooting may need to happen with the computer.
    Good luck!
    I've had my PB less than 24 hrs. It's been usable for less than 4.

I was at the "how to make bridge connection" when the PB locked up and I used the 3 button hard reset to turn it off. Encountered the red blink blink pause repeat sequence. Tried the various 3 and 4 button sequences, nothing. At one point I was getting two red pause, 4 red pause, 4 red pause. Have not tried to re-boot since.

Should I just return the damn thing?

Must say that my confidence in RIM has plummeted, erasing the solid positive experience provided by the BB 8530.

A boot ROM error implies that the problem is more than a software burp.

Thanks for your info.
    01-31-12 04:08 AM
    Yesterday one of my BlackBerry PlayBooks was fully discharged and would not recharge on the rapid charger until I connected it to the computer via USB cable and waited a few minutes before unplugging the tablet and putting it on the rapid charger again. When fully discharged (0%) and will not boot up it just takes some fiddling, figuratively speaking, until the tablet recognizes that a recharge is supposed to begin. Too many people jump to conclusions about faulty hardware and proclaim that RMA'ing the tablet is the only route to salvation and the promised land of Nirvana.
    01-31-12 04:50 AM
    I've had my PB less than 24 hrs. It's been usable for less than 4.

I was at the "how to make bridge connection" when the PB locked up and I used the 3 button hard reset to turn it off. Encountered the red blink blink pause repeat sequence. Tried the various 3 and 4 button sequences, nothing. At one point I was getting two red pause, 4 red pause, 4 red pause. Have not tried to re-boot since.

Should I just return the damn thing?

Must say that my confidence in RIM has plummeted, erasing the solid positive experience provided by the BB 8530.

A boot ROM error implies that the problem is more than a software burp.

Thanks for your info.
    Did you bother reading knowledge base article (KB26748) - BlackBerry PlayBook tablet fails to boot and displays flashing red LED in sequence blink blink pause?
    01-31-12 04:53 AM
    Did you bother reading knowledge base article (KB26748) - BlackBerry PlayBook tablet fails to boot and displays flashing red LED in sequence blink blink pause?
    Bless your heart for posting the link to the BB Knowledge Base Page, that I "haven't bothered to read" in the 24 hours I've had the device.

From your link:

"Cause:
    This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available."

So the suggested work around might solve the problem long enough to obtain constructive use of this consumer device for a while but BB doesn't have a clue as to the source of the problem.

Thanks, but I'm going to pass and try to get a refund while I still can.

Have a good day, and thanks again for the bother.
    01-31-12 05:18 AM
    I bought 2 PB's in early Jan 2012 and charged whilst set them up for myself and in readiness for my daughters birthday.

When her birthday came we let her have a quick go and then told her we need to charge for quite while and then she will be ok after school.

It never did charge although both chargers worked fine on mine. I rang the support and spent 1h 37 mins with them trying everything i had already tried from on here and even tried putting the charging cable in for 2 mins then then for 2 mins for a total of 20 attempts! Still nothing bar red light light followed by 5 blinking yellowy green lights!

I was then asked if i had bought the rapid charger pod to which i explained i had only been in possession of the PB for 3 days. They had no answers and said to send it to them for two weeks and they would try to repair advised was a gift and managed to get it exchanged with the vendor instead luckily.

Forgot to say on 1st post, have now bought the rapid charging pod just in case!
    Hopefully you manage to get yours started and hopefully any of the above work for you otherwise i suggest you get a replacement from the vendor if possible.
    Last edited by DiggerB9; 01-31-12 at 06:27 AM.
    01-31-12 06:25 AM
    Sorry to hijack an old thread... but, for those of you impatient for 2.0, I can wait a few more hours yet...

Woke this morning, made a coffee, logged onto CB. Updated the bridge app on my torch, played with my ps3 remote feature. Cool! I'd been holding off on touching my PB this morn, to try and keep patient. I thought "I'll turn that on and have a play with the bridge whilst waiting for the os update.

Got the double flashing red light. Why, my PB, why?! I've had one crash & a handful of browser crashes in the last 9 months. Why today?!?! Haha.

So, I'm starting again over DM just now. For some reason, I backed up for the first ever time yesterday, just to see if I could.

Keep everything backed up kiddies - you never know!
    02-21-12 03:36 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD