Greetings PlayBook friends..

I have been trying without success for the last 20 minutes to send an email from my BlackBerry PlayBook. I keep getting an interruption message and it asks to resend.

Iam connected to my home wifi I can download apps and surf so I know Iam connected, and I have used my iphone to make sure I can send an email from within the my wifi.

And I can of course receive emails.

Any ideas at all please???????
    03-24-12 08:22 AM
    What account are you using and do you receive emails?
    03-24-12 08:30 AM
    Hi there yes can receive emails. My isp is AOL
    03-24-12 08:35 AM
    Try to send an email from the website and see if you get a captcha to fill out. I had to do that with live.com mail before I could send mail.
    verticallimit12 likes this.
    03-24-12 08:39 AM
    Try deleting your email account from your playbook and then re-adding it again. I don't know what's the difference between the servers that do the emails for your playbook and the ones that do your BB's emails. But if you ever noticed, whenever you receive an email it gets to your BB faster than your playbook. That same email gets to the PB about two minutes later.
    03-24-12 08:42 AM
    I don't have direct experience with AOL as I use my own email server. However, it is important to understand that the protocols used for sending email and receiving are different. Also, your Blackberry phone is likely on BIS. BIS uses Blackberry's servers to poll your AOL account to receive email and then push it to your phone. When you send email using your phone, whether over wifi or your carrier's network, your phone is connecting to Blaxkberry's servers and they are sending the mail. If on BES it would route outgoing email through your company's SMTP server but does authentication for you.

Native email on the PB does not use BIS or BES. Rather, it connects directly to your provider, in this case AOL, and attempts to send your email. The protocol used for sending is SMTP which is an unsecure protocol in that by default it does not authenticate the sender. Spammers exploit the lack of authentication to send their garbage. Most ISPs have therefore put in a layer of authentication and also change the default port for SMTP from 25 to something else, often 587. I suggest you check with AOL and find out what settings they require for authentication. You may need to manually enter these settings into the Playbook account for your email to get it to work.

I have also discovered that the native email has a very short timeout when sending. It was always timing out when sending through my server. I then discovered that I had a DNS problem with my server that caused it to pause during the SMTP handshake. Once that was fixed all was well.

Another option, although less ideal, is to use your ISP's server for sending. I say less ideal because your ISP may only accept SMTP connections from within its network, which will be fine when you are at home but a problem when using a hotspot or travelling. You could also sign up for a Gmail account which provides authenticated SMTP and use their outgoing mail servers.

Good luck.
    03-24-12 10:23 AM
    As mentioned above delete email and setup again or check your ports I've had to do both between my Gmail account and my webmail before getting a solution
    03-24-12 10:50 AM
    Try deleting your email account from your playbook and then re-adding it again. I don't know what's the difference between the servers that do the emails for your playbook and the ones that do your BB's emails. But if you ever noticed, whenever you receive an email it gets to your BB faster than your playbook. That same email gets to the PB about two minutes later.

Worked a treat many thanks ......
    03-24-12 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD