My playbook dosent turn on. A few days ago, i forgot to put it in charge so the battery depleted, after that, when i try charging it, it dosent charge. Ive tried charging it for hours but it dosent work. I tried both ways to hardreset the playbook but now the red light just flashes for a second and its gone. What can i do before i can contact rim?
    05-02-12 04:40 PM
    Do a search on the forum, as I've read of this with others and it was solved by some. I believe they recommended charging for a few minutes, then unplugging and charging again for a few minutes......keeping this cycle up until you had enough charge for the charger to stay on. What charger are you using?
    05-02-12 05:29 PM
    Do a search on the forum, as I've read of this with others and it was solved by some. I believe they recommended charging for a few minutes, then unplugging and charging again for a few minutes......keeping this cycle up until you had enough charge for the charger to stay on. What charger are you using?
    I found this and I copied this from one of F2's old posts
    "stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes.

But I'm pretty sure you can go 10-12 cycles
    Scotter75 and rotorwrench like this.
    05-02-12 05:36 PM
    I found this and I copied this from one of F2's old posts
    "stack" charging, 6 cycles of charge no charge, for 2 minutes each, charging for never more than 2 minutes.

But I'm pretty sure you can go 10-12 cycles
    Thats it, stack charging. Thanks. I've read several post where this worked for those that severely drained their batteries.
    05-02-12 06:00 PM
    are you trying to charge it with what charger?
    05-02-12 06:04 PM
    Im trying it with the original Charger. I tried stack charging it also. Dosent work.
    05-02-12 06:09 PM
    Try holding 3 button reboot down for 30 seconds no matter what lights come on. Just a thought. It has worked for me. Sorry - sounds like you have truly done excellent research!
    05-02-12 06:17 PM
    Try holding 3 button reboot down for 30 seconds no matter what lights come on. Just a thought. It has worked for me. Sorry - sounds like you have truly done excellent research!
    I even tried doing that. Now no lights come on at all.
    05-02-12 06:24 PM
    You must hold the all time record for researching and trying everything!
    Its just not fair that nothing worked!
    So sorry!
    P.S. Something should have worked. I don't see how this was your fault in any way!
    05-02-12 06:49 PM
    Will the rapid charger or a dock will do anything?
    05-02-12 07:33 PM
    If your battery is dead or near dead, you have a problem. If you follow these instructions you may be able to make a recovery but it will take some time. The charger is controlled by software. The software will not run because the battery voltage is too low. When the battery is too low and you turn on the PB, It will only run for about 4 minutes and then shut down again. During this 4 minutes, the charger will begin charging but since the battery voltage is still too low, the unit will shut down again and the charger will shut off. To get the voltage up sufficiently for the PB To continue, you have to have the charger plugged in and every 5 minutes or so, you have to hold the power button on until the red light flashes then release it.It will once again recharge for 4 minutes. You may have to repeat these steps at least 10 times. Once the voltage gets up a bit, the charger should stay on but it will takes 6 hours to fully recharge the battery. When your charger is charging, it will feel warm to the touch so check it often to see if it is in fact charging.
    sputneek likes this.
    05-02-12 08:11 PM
    Nicely explained, all I gotta do now is commit it to memory^^^^^

This is really something that has to be fixed, I've come close to being in this jam myself, not really hard to do.
    Last edited by sputneek; 05-02-12 at 08:26 PM.
    05-02-12 08:21 PM
    This is absolutely ridiculous. I haven't said a negative thing about RIM here or anywhere else, but this is the second time in a week that my PB won't turn on because the battery completely died. Should the device not shut down when it gets that low? I lose an entire day trying to get it going again, and to make it worse last time I had to reload the software because for some reason stack charging wouldn't work so I lost about a weeks worth of notes. There has to be a fix for this, I never had this problem with any previous updates.

And before I am called a 'troll' or apple fanboy, I HATE Apple and will never own one of their products, I support RIM and will continue to support a Canadian company that employs several of my friends, but I am getting frustrated. Vent Over.
    Awesomeslayerg likes this.
    05-03-12 07:24 AM
    Some might call you out on user error but I certainly won't.

Had to deal with my wife going for surgery recently along with a bunch of other things going on and forgot all about the playbook, we are humans after all. Rim is probably swamped with calls over this issue, I don't get it either. I figured for sure they were going to address this in the last update Must be more to it then we realize. maybe.

Damn, forgot my netiquette, don't mean to be derailing this post, maybe we'll hear back from the op, see how he/she's doin'
    Last edited by sputneek; 05-03-12 at 08:27 AM.
    05-03-12 08:20 AM
    I have run the my PB until it shuts of many times and never had any trouble charging again. Maybe because I manage to plug in soon after it shuts off. My wife's PB had been left depleted for a day or so a few times with no problem.I wonder what causes some units to drain enough that charging isn't possible.
    RIM could probably increase the lower limit with an update but that would reduce battery life.
    05-03-12 08:42 AM
    Mine automatically shuts down at 8%, never goes less than that.

Is there a percentage setting for someone to set for when the playbook will shut down?

I think I've only shut totally down twice since I got it. I was on video chat both times, so plugged it in right away after it shut off.
    05-03-12 09:07 AM
    I have run the my PB until it shuts of many times and never had any trouble charging again. Maybe because I manage to plug in soon after it shuts off. My wife's PB had been left depleted for a day or so a few times with no problem.I wonder what causes some units to drain enough that charging isn't possible.
    RIM could probably increase the lower limit with an update but that would reduce battery life.
    Good point. Also I assumed this problem was across the board, did'nt realize you could let it shut down. Maybe going a little half cocked here....
    05-03-12 09:36 AM
    Mine automatically shuts down at 8%, never goes less than that.

Is there a percentage setting for someone to set for when the playbook will shut down?

I think I've only shut totally down twice since I got it. I was on video chat both times, so plugged it in right away after it shut off.
    The RIM method of calibration would be to let it auto shutdown and then recharge to full(steady green light). If you turn it on during the recharge then let it charge until you see the plug icon over the battery(not just 100%). I saw that on the support forums somewhere.
    05-03-12 09:48 AM
    The RIM method of calibration would be to let it auto shutdown and then recharge to full(steady green light). If you turn it on during the recharge then let it charge until you see the plug icon over the battery(not just 100%). I saw that on the support forums somewhere.
    Yeah I also recall that now, one of battery guru guy's threads, pretty sure
    05-03-12 10:11 AM
    If the battery is truly dead but the PB ok, should you get the green or red light on and then 5 blinks and then power off again? That is what mine did when I drained the battery to nothing accidentally. Having the rapid charger / stand however, I just left it sit on there for a few hours and when I came back to it it was ready to go fully charged, turned on and everything.

Using RIM products over the years you learn to never ever let the battery drain or pay the price of hurry-up and wait. It just seems to be the way it is. That and the boot times being similar to that of Windows 98! ;-)
    05-03-12 11:01 AM
    Still no light at all now.. Ill still support rim no matter what.
    05-06-12 02:17 AM
    This is what I do....
    The moment I see the 9% warning I plug it for a charge and usually charge it to max....
    Most of my friends switch off the playbook when not in use... I don't know why... Mine is always on standby....
    05-06-12 03:07 AM
    There are a few solutions and some are mentioned above. SO try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Problem Scenario: 1. Blackberry wont boot or turn on, on pressing the power button, the red light stays for a few seconds and does not turn on 2. Sometimes you will see the red light followed by a green/ yellow light that blinks 5 times and does not turn on.

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out". The problem with playbook is that the playbook wont charge if the playbook is Flat out drained. whereas other tablets or cellphones does....Playbook has to fix that issue. Meanwhile we do have a solution to go around that problem and that requires some patience. Some of the solutions mentioned in the previous comments indicate to charge it via computer.... "It doesn`t work" not if the battery is drained out flat.... so dont even bother trying it if u see the above mentioned problem.

Solution: try this step by step and this are 3 different solutions so one of this would definitely work. 1. Press the Power button and you will see the Playbook Logo ( chances for this are low ) 2. Press the power button and the volume together, if there is 1 % charge left there is a chance that it would boot on, when you see the logo, immediately charge the playbook ( chances are medium ) 3. This solution requires patience. plug the charger into the socket and plug the USB into the playbook, the red light stays for 8-10 secs. Remove the USb from the playbook wait for 2 to 5 sec and replug the usb back to the charger and wait till that red light comes and goes again. repeat this step atleast 20-30 times. you might be asking why? the only power that the playbook gets is when that red light is on when plugging the usb into the playbook, once that light goes the playbook is not charging.. so what you are doing here is forcing the playbook to get charged for 8 sec every time u plug it to the playbook....this way the playbook gets that power needed to boot. Once the Playbook has that power to boot. The red light stays and changes to green but this time it blinks slowly and keeps blinking. you would also see the playbook logo return.... this green light keeps blinking until there is enough charge for the playbook to stand on its own and then changes to a solid red until it gets fully charged. Hope this helps, I had to explain to you guy what the cause was and how it is overcome..... so let me know
    06-22-12 02:01 PM
    There are a few solutions and some are mentioned above. SO try the things I am mentioning below.... Let me know if it works .

Problem Scenario: 1. Blackberry wont boot or turn on, on pressing the power button, the red light stays for a few seconds and does not turn on 2. Sometimes you will see the red light followed by a green/ yellow light that blinks 5 times and does not turn on.

Reason: The main reason why both of the above things happen is because the battery is completely drained out, you could call it " Flat out". The problem with playbook is that the playbook wont charge if the playbook is Flat out drained. whereas other tablets or cellphones does....Playbook has to fix that issue. Meanwhile we do have a solution to go around that problem and that requires some patience. Some of the solutions mentioned in the previous comments indicate to charge it via computer.... "It doesn`t work" not if the battery is drained out flat.... so dont even bother trying it if u see the above mentioned problem.

Solution: try this step by step and this are 3 different solutions so one of this would definitely work. 1. Press the Power button and you will see the Playbook Logo ( chances for this are low ) 2. Press the power button and the volume together, if there is 1 % charge left there is a chance that it would boot on, when you see the logo, immediately charge the playbook ( chances are medium ) 3. This solution requires patience. plug the charger into the socket and plug the USB into the playbook, the red light stays for 8-10 secs. Remove the USb from the playbook wait for 2 to 5 sec and replug the usb back to the charger and wait till that red light comes and goes again. repeat this step atleast 20-30 times. you might be asking why? the only power that the playbook gets is when that red light is on when plugging the usb into the playbook, once that light goes the playbook is not charging.. so what you are doing here is forcing the playbook to get charged for 8 sec every time u plug it to the playbook....this way the playbook gets that power needed to boot. Once the Playbook has that power to boot. The red light stays and changes to green but this time it blinks slowly and keeps blinking. you would also see the playbook logo return.... this green light keeps blinking until there is enough charge for the playbook to stand on its own and then changes to a solid red until it gets fully charged. Hope this helps, I had to explain to you guy what the cause was and how it is overcome..... so let me know
    Well done summary of the issue and potential solutions. My only suggested change would be to do the intermittent UNPLUG at the wall and not the somewhat fragile usb port. That would relieve some possible pressure on that port.

And, MOST CERTAINLY rim has TO FIX this issue if it can be done with an OS update. In the past, they have changed how the pb charges (or not) while OFF. So maybe they can change this behavior, too.
    06-22-12 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD