I've had my PlayBook for a few days and everything has been perfect. Then, last night when I was downloading apps, I downloaded some game/app called Scheme.

When I went to launch it, I noticed there was no icon for the app, but it still said the title. I clicked it anyways, then it froze my PlayBook. I reset it by holding the volume and power keys, then when it powered back up, it wouldn't connect to the wifi connection I'd been using the whole time.

It still works on another saved wifi network I've used, but won't connect to this one for some reason. It tries to connect, and then says attempt failed/timed out.

I've now done a wipe on it to see if that fixes it, but now upon setup, I STILL can't connect to the network. I can't get past the first screen.

Any ideas?
    04-24-11 11:44 PM
    Did you try rebooting (powering down and back up) your WIFI router?

Tim
    endo4ryan and bbvj like this.
    04-25-11 12:03 AM
    The thing is, the router is in the basement apartment of the my girlfriend's place (the landlord's place), so I don't have access to the router.

I'll probably just have to ask him to do it for me. I just thought it weird that I'd been using the wifi for days already without a problem. The laptop and my BlackBerry also connect no problem.

Strange.
    04-25-11 12:10 AM
    Alright, it's all good. I found it. It was as simple as restarting the router.

Thanks.
    04-25-11 12:26 AM
    For others having this problem or people getting stuck at aquiring ip do as I say this just happened to me.

1. Edit your saved network and uncheck the automatically ip thing.
    2. Type in a valid but not necesarily real ip in the first field ignoring the rest.
    3. Connect.
    4. Reedit your saved networks and recheck the automatically obtain ip button.
    5. Connect

That fixed it for me...
    04-25-11 12:43 AM
    Your welcome.

Tim
    04-25-11 02:59 AM
    I'm having the same problem with my Playbook. I have no problem connecting and reconnecting with my home router but when I go to my office I cannot connect. I have been successfully connected to my office router and it is a saved network (WEP) but frankly I don't feel like resetting my router every time I come to the office. So far this is the only fix - to reset the router. I have tried Meltbox360's suggestion above but it does not work for me. It's like the offfice router will only grant an IP address once. Once I go home and come back to the office the next day - she won't connect (unless I reset the router of course).

My BB Torch has no problem connecting and reconnecting to my office router, nor my laptop, nor my employees laptops, Androids, iPad's, etc. It must be a Playbook issue.

If anyone else has any ideas please advise! I was hoping the new 1.0.1.1710 OS would fix this issue but no dice.
    04-29-11 11:54 AM
    Next time, just try deleting the saved network and re-adding it, rather than wipe the device:

In the setup->wi-fi page, pick "Saved networks" from the drop-down box. Tap on the pencil icon, then tap the trash can next to the guy you want to delete. When done, tap the pencil again. Now go search for your network and sign in again.

Seems odd, but sounds like it was a problem with your router. (as I re-read the thread :P )
    04-29-11 05:07 PM
    JustAnotherBeerbot,

I had previously tried removing and then adding back the saved network. Still wouldn't connect.

Funny enough today I increased the number of available wireless connections in the router settings and saved the change. My Playbook connected automatically after this. So while I didn't have to reset my router it "allowed" the Playbook back in after a settings change and save. Weird. Then switched "off" wireless connection via the Playbook to test it, and upon switching wireless back "on" it would no longer connect.
    04-29-11 05:17 PM
    Having the same problem and I know for sure it's a Playbook issue. I connect numerous wifi devices on our network but once the Playbook sleeps for any lengthy period of time (overnight) it will not connect unless I power cycle my router. I can watch it connect then disconnect over and over. I looked at the DHCP/Attached Devices in the router and the IP address that the PlayBook is showing as it disconnects and reconnects is not being used. Very strange and honestly completely unacceptable. This really needs to be addressed. I went to the weather page (AccuWeather) and the PlayBook is connecting then dropping because the weather page updated itself. It would then say "No Network Connection" below the AccuWeather title.

Wifi - NetGear WG102 (WPA Personal)
    Router - NetGear FVS114
    Last edited by roden; 05-03-11 at 10:28 AM.
    05-03-11 10:17 AM
    Yup, it is a Playbook issue. All other wireless devices at work - iPad, Curve, Sony Dash work fine, no wifi connectivity issues. Playbook will connect and be fine till it sleeps - then I am out of luck. Tried all the measures above. Nothing but a re-boot of the router will work. Sorry RIM, big problem. Could not recommend this until these serious firmware shortcomings are addressed. Too bad, it is so good in so many other ways.
    05-05-11 03:22 PM
    Kind of frustrating. I can easily connect at home and keep the connection with no problem. When I go to the office, it cannot hold the wifi signal. It just keep connecting then dropping, connecting then dropping. WPA Personal on a Linksys router. Is it a WPA issue? Has anyone tried to disable the WPA settings and see if it starts working? Unfortunately, I would be shot if I tried that at the office...
    05-05-11 03:58 PM
    i had the same issue. i just got the playbook yesterday. after checking out the settings, turns out the playbook has all the saved networks, but it does not save the security key. mine was set on "open" when it should have been "wep". changing it and entering the key worked for me.
    05-05-11 09:55 PM
    Still frustrated over here. Was hoping 1.0.3.1868 would correct this issue but no such luck. A power cycle of the router is the only fix for me thus far.
    05-10-11 01:50 PM
    Still frustrated over here. Was hoping 1.0.3.1868 would correct this issue but no such luck. A power cycle of the router is the only fix for me thus far.
    Have you contacted RIM regarding this? They may not be aware of this specific issue. What router and firmware are you using? I take my PB between home and office networks every day and no issues.
    05-10-11 01:58 PM
    I do not have this problem and I have wifi at work and at home. At work I do have to tap the wifi icon next to the battery icon at the top of the screen on the playbook which drops down a window and then I tap the wifi logo in the drop down window and then the Playbook will connect. At home it does it automatically. I do not think this is a consistent playbook issue.

Is your wifi set to "available networks"?
    05-10-11 02:15 PM
    Have you contacted RIM regarding this? They may not be aware of this specific issue. What router and firmware are you using? I take my PB between home and office networks every day and no issues.
    I have not but will do so now that it "appears" to be Playbook related. At work I'm using a D-LINK WBR-2310 Hardware Version: B1 and Firmware Version 2.00. This same router has no problem automatically picking up my Torch day-to-day. My home router, a Linksys E-4200 has no problems automatically picking up my Playbook day-to-day.

I do not have this problem and I have wifi at work and at home. At work I do have to tap the wifi icon next to the battery icon at the top of the screen on the playbook which drops down a window and then I tap the wifi logo in the drop down window and then the Playbook will connect. At home it does it automatically. I do not think this is a consistent playbook issue. Is your wifi set to "available networks"?
    Yes. I have attempted to connect to my work wifi (D-LINK WBR-2310) via the "available networks" drop down but also from the "saved networks" drop down and neither work for me unless of course I cycle the power. Again, the Playbook automatically connects just like it should with my much newer Linksys E4200 at home.
    05-10-11 02:57 PM
    food for thought:
    If the playbook is paired to your bb bridge,(phones wifi info is sent over) and it took that wifi info, I think it forgets all or part of it as a security measure when it disconnects.
    Try adding these routers manually to the PB when not connected to your bb bridge. if they are there, delete them while not connected, then re add and save them.
    Does this help?
    jcbrunson likes this.
    05-10-11 03:07 PM
    food for thought:
    If the playbook is paired to your bb bridge,(phones wifi info is sent over) and it took that wifi info, I think it forgets all or part of it as a security measure when it disconnects.
    Try adding these routers manually to the PB when not connected to your bb bridge. if they are there, delete them while not connected, then re add and save them.
    Does this help?
    When I first got my Playbook I recall having to connect to my work wifi manually. Entered the WEP password, etc. So point being I don't think it ever "took" this via my phone and/or bridge. I did delete the wifi network off of my Playbook and added it back but still no luck. I was also sure to shut off the wireless connection on my Torch while doing so.
    05-10-11 03:41 PM
    Same issue. Obviously that's how I ended up finding this thread. Went for several months without having an issue but apparently it was because I hadn't the Playbook go to sleep. Pisses me off quite frankly. All of my other mobile devices (iPad2, iPod, HP Touchpad, and Windows Phone) work just fine so THIS IS a Playbook issue. RIM needs to resolve it.

Also, thanks to everyone that posted information on how to resolve the issue. Very helpful.
    08-09-11 06:23 AM
    Interesting. It happened go me for the first time yesterday in an internet cafe. According to other forums, it might be related to the PB being picky with some router models.
    08-09-11 07:30 AM
    All of a sudden my PB won't connect to the Wifi network at my office. It's been fine since the last update until today, and none of the suggestions in the thread have worked so far. Agh!!!
    08-09-11 02:20 PM
    I'm now having the same issue. I have tried to connect to atleast 4 different types of router, set my router to G only, power cycles the routers and PB, but still can't connect.

Any suggestions? I would hate to have to do a wipe or even worse, RMA.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hodula1; 08-09-11 at 06:46 PM.
    08-09-11 06:32 PM
    Well, "lucky" for me, a hard reset and re-install of firmware fixed it. I am now able to connect to my wifi again. Glad it was not a hardware issue and no RMA needed.
    08-09-11 08:30 PM
    I was going to suggest a hard reset.
    08-09-11 09:02 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD