So I've connected my Playbook to my pc about 4 billion times. Today I tried the cable and I hear the sounds as if device is connected but the PC wn't recognize the Playbook. Also, the Playbook doesn't display the "connected to a PC" screen. When I open up desktop manager it would usually just connect to the Playbook, but in this case it doesn't. Any clues on what's going on? I've treid multiple cables and USB ports. I've rebooted both devices.

Note I also tried turning wifi off and rebotting the the device plugged in. This random crap is really annoying.
    02-12-13 06:37 PM
    Try a different cable. Have you tried wifi sharing instead of usb?
    02-12-13 08:12 PM
    windows or mac?

If windows, go to device manager and you'll probably see an error on a RIM driver. Roll back that driver and should work.
    Dukey Avalon likes this.
    02-12-13 08:29 PM
    As noted - I have tried several cables. I did set up wifi sharing, which is a band aid but at least lets me transfer stuff.

rav - Thanks a lot. There was an exclamation on the RIM drivers, which I assume means they are erroneous. I tried rolling back and updating to no avail. Gonna see if a reinstall / uninstall / update of Blackberry desktop software will help.
    02-12-13 08:41 PM
    Dukey,

if you had the exclamation on this driver:
    Playbook won't connect to pc suddenly-rim-driver.png
    then just Roll Back....don't re-update it. The updated Windows driver is not compatible. I did that with my Windows 8 computer (after breaking my head and reformatting my PB twice and losing all my data ) and it has been working like a charm since. The roll back driver is the correct one provided by RIM.
    02-12-13 08:52 PM
    Just updated BB desktop manager to 7.1 version. Plugged the Playbook in and it said "installing drivers". Then is said "failed to install drivers". Back to square 1.
    02-12-13 08:53 PM
    Dukey,

if you had the exclamation on this driver:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIM driver.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	135598
    then just Roll Back....don't re-update it. The updated Windows driver is not compatible. I did that with my Windows 8 computer (after breaking my head and reformatting my PB twice and losing all my data ) and it has been working like a charm since. The roll back driver is the correct one provided by RIM.
    There is no RIM driver at all under my network adapters.
    02-12-13 08:55 PM
    7.1 is garbage. You gotta get 7.0 and roll back that driver. I never got mine to work on 7.1 -- do you still have a copy of 7.0 laying around? I'm using 6.1 - got a copy of that if you need it.
    02-12-13 10:32 PM
    There is no RIM driver at all under my network adapters.
    PS, the RIM driver (with the exclamation mark) only shows up when the Playbook is connected (even if it's not being read properly)
    02-12-13 10:40 PM
    I installed the BlackBerry desktop link program and it worked this was after I tried to use the BlackBerry pc desktop program and could not connect to the pc
    02-12-13 11:01 PM
    I installed the BlackBerry desktop link program and it worked this was after I tried to use the BlackBerry pc desktop program and could not connect to the pc
    I sought the Link software out (link below) - Does this work for the pb but not for our older bb phones??? I have not downloaded or dealt with it - just gathering info

Link link (hey, I like that!)
    BlackBerry Link - BlackBerry 10 Smartphone to Computer Sync - US
    02-13-13 08:57 AM
    Link works with PlayBook - I used it, although I still kinda prefer BBDM right now...
    02-13-13 09:46 AM
    I sought the Link software out (link below) - Does this work for the pb but not for our older bb phones??? I have not downloaded or dealt with it - just gathering info

Link link (hey, I like that!)
    BlackBerry Link - BlackBerry 10 Smartphone to Computer Sync - US
    yes,,,, BBLink works w/ PlayBook but not "un"BB10 phones,,, some ppl have reported not being able to do backups,,, i've only used it to transfer pics & vids...
    02-14-13 07:14 AM