So this morning my Playbook notified me there was an update available, so I connected to the Yellow Playbook charger while the battery was around 25% and started the update to OS 2.1.0.1917.

I went out and after about 2 hours later I came back, rebooted the device and it was on 22%.

I took it off the charger and started using it again. When the device drained to 3% I connected it to the Yellow Charger again.

About 30 minutes later the device did not charge a bit, I disconnected the charger, reconnected it and saw the lightning symbol for a flash, that was the last time I saw it.

Connected to my BB10 charger, MicroUSB and stock charger, but none of that did the trick.

So, I don't say the update caused the problem, but it's at least an odd coincidence.

Anyone has got similar issues or even better a potential solution?

Posted via CB10 on Z10LE
    04-01-14 01:48 PM
    Someone mentioned BlackBerry was killing off the PlayBook.... maybe we didn't understand how literal that might be.

Search for Stack Charging and try that.
    04-01-14 02:08 PM
    I'm real sensitive to the charging thing and always update at 100% with the charger connected. There might be some battery calibration thing going on that messed it up. Anyway, I'd try the hardware reset (hold power, vol+, vol -) until it resets.
    04-01-14 02:17 PM
    Someone mentioned BlackBerry was killing off the PlayBook.... maybe we didn't understand how literal that might be.

Search for Stack Charging and try that.
    Well the update didn't bring any improvements to the playbook, so that theory is plausible
    FF22 likes this.
    04-01-14 02:21 PM
    I'm real sensitive to the charging thing and always update at 100% with the charger connected. There might be some battery calibration thing going on that messed it up. Anyway, I'd try the hardware reset (hold power, vol+, vol -) until it resets.
    The problem is, that it already drained to 0%. Tried it though (in the few seconds it could be on), but it seems like it didn't work.

Posted via CB10 on Z10LE
    04-01-14 02:51 PM
    connect to charger and press + - for some seconds. maybe it brings a reboot plus loading.
    04-01-14 03:03 PM
    It's a common problem. Search the forum for "stack charge".
    Carl Estes and dphjeff like this.
    04-01-14 03:26 PM
    "Yellow" Playbook charger? Does it put out at least 1.8 amps? Otherwise it won't make it..
    And yes, do "stack charge".
    c
    04-01-14 03:42 PM
    Stack charge is referring to the device being so low that the CPU could not trigger the battery. My problem started before this, and could boot up (to shutdown within 15 seconds again)

Posted via CB10 on Z10LE
    04-01-14 03:44 PM
    It's a common problem. Search the forum for "stack charge".
    It does seem to be more and more common but I haven't heard that one person was able to revive their unit. Not to say they didn't when it starting acting this way, but they never reported back if they got it working again or not.

Dead from not charging for months, a stack charge may work but when a functioning unit starts doing this, it seems fatal.
    JunkieXP likes this.
    04-01-14 03:49 PM
    Well, all the more reason to hold off on this update. I am in no rush. Even at my advanced age, I probably have more years left than my playbook!
    04-01-14 06:42 PM
    Well, all the more reason to hold off on this update. I am in no rush. Even at my advanced age, I probably have more years left than my playbook!
    Better get all the apps you want before April 3 or you will not be able to get the app from Blackberry World without the OS update.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 07:13 PM
    The problem is, that it already drained to 0%. Tried it though (in the few seconds it could be on), but it seems like it didn't work.

Posted via CB10 on Z10LE
    PB won't boot at 0%. Charging needs a certain battery voltage, too. So kind of a catch 22 when you can't charge. As everyone else says try the stack charging. Save your USB port by plugging into a strip that turns on/off. Do you have any idea of battery health, e.g. via Battery Guru?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-01-14 09:02 PM
    that sounds coincidental to me. faulty charger or socket IMO
    04-02-14 12:37 PM
    I would try to avoid cracking open my PlayBook. Would it be possible to use a Rapid Charger instead (at worst to stack charge it every 2 minutes).

Current state on pressing the power button is: Red LED Flash followed by Five Yellow LED Flashes.

Posted via CB10 on Z10LE
    04-05-14 04:53 PM
    I would try to avoid cracking open my PlayBook. Would it be possible to use a Rapid Charger instead (at worst to stack charge it every 2 minutes).

Current state on pressing the power button is: Red LED Flash followed by Five Yellow LED Flashes.

Posted via CB10 on Z10LE
    The magnetic rapid charger is the best way to revive the PlayBook

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-05-14 04:56 PM