i don't turn it on... it actually turns on by itself (sometimes) and sometimes it just follow (solid red) then (solid yellow/orange) then grey screen.. sometimes (solid red) then (solid yellow/orange) then it will load the logo "blackberry playbook" then it shuts down. warranty already finished and i'm in MACAU so we don't have service center here neither in HK

and it always end with A DARK GREY SCREEN (back lit) i guess thats what they call it... both charger normal one with 1.8 charger and rapid tried using them stacking no luck...

and what does GREY SCREEN signify? i mean it's obvious that both chargers are working fine... and the playbook itself is ok coz it boots ok it shows the start up logo.. but what does DARK GREY SCREEN (back lit) mean??? any idea?
    05-20-13 08:59 AM
    You can try the Debrick process

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    05-20-13 10:02 AM
    tried it already doesn't work..coz every time i tried to connect to the pc the playbook starts to open (solid red) then (solid yellow/orange) then the playbook logo opens and then it shuts down... i didn't even open it, it just load on its own...

and sometimes the GREY SCREEN shows..
    05-20-13 11:03 AM
    after 5 days of trying trying and trying.. still no response from the playbook i guess im going have to burn this piece of sh*t. it's really annoying and frustrating... so disappointed in BB
    05-25-13 04:11 AM
    My problem is more like...my playbooks CAN'T charge! The stupid port is broken and does not work, is there another way to charge it through the other ports? I don't know why on earth RIM put the ports on the bottom of the playbook instead of the side like it should be...it's ridicules!! I have had nothing but headaches with the whole thing ever since I got it about a year ago and will NEVER purchase another RIM product again!!
    05-26-13 09:06 AM
    My problem is more like...my playbooks CAN'T charge! The stupid port is broken and does not work, is there another way to charge it through the other ports? I don't know why on earth RIM put the ports on the bottom of the playbook instead of the side like it should be...it's ridicules!! I have had nothing but headaches with the whole thing ever since I got it about a year ago and will NEVER purchase another RIM product again!!
    Yes get the magnetic charger which uses the 3 pin port. Plenty of posts on here about alternatives, and also, depending on what is wrong with your USB port, a quick way of fixing using a toothpick.

Malcolm
    05-26-13 09:52 AM
    05-26-13 11:25 AM
    Since you didn't read or understand the previous posts or maybe trolling even, I reiterate there are chargers which attach magnetically to the the pogo pin attachment ( three little yellow pins) which is beside the usb port. One such device is call the Rapid Travel Charger and the other is a dock. The Rapid Travel Charger is now available on Amazon (USA) for $14.10.

The USB port can get damaged if you plug the charger in the wrong way. See other threads for possible ways to fix. And RTFM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook won't charge-1369593607226.jpg  
    05-26-13 01:43 PM
    I was successful stack charging my dead PB to where it started the OS but it wont charge any further than that, the batt symbol stays red with charging bolt through it and after about 5 min the screen goes black with no lights flashing.....If I can get the OS to start up doesn't this mean im above 3.5V and it should start to fully charge?
    06-18-13 09:00 PM
    Re-read Post 6 and see if you have done what it suggests. Then just leave it charging, say overnight.
    06-18-13 10:19 PM
    OK getting good advice but I'm not very techy...I've done what you suggested and it still won't work. My Playbook is plugged in and the red and green light alternate and in between the battery symbol comes on. (Red 15 sec then dull red/white battery symbol 15sec then green 10sec) It did this over night and still won't hold a charge. Any suggestions for my scenario?
    Thanks- Tech-NOT-mom
    Just as I posted this the Blackberry logo came onto the screen then alarmed then went back to previous state of alternating lights and battery symbol.Didn't quit turnover I'm guessing...I think I have it off but how can I know for sure?
    Last edited by joshenaround800; 07-18-13 at 06:15 PM.
    07-18-13 02:43 PM
    When you plug it in for 1 min is the red light supposed to come on?
    09-27-13 08:27 AM
    I had the same problem and fixed it. Watch my video and see.

The fault was all I could see on the screen was an empty red battery, the red led would come on then turn off again, tried all the alternatives but it didnt work.

So I decided to jump start it. Just make sure the battery 3.8vdc you use is the same voltage as the playbook battery and observe polarity!!!!!!!!

This may be or not be a good idea but it worked for me, if in doubt seek advice

09-28-13 12:28 AM
    Mine stopped charging too. Took it to a BlackBerry Device Tech man and I'm being told that the battery is bad and needed to be replaced. But the device is sealed. the tech man assured me it will be made right as soon as I can make the payment for repair. I'm yet to do that anyway. I'm in Lagos Nigeria.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 12:38 AM
    Mine stopped charging too. Took it to a BlackBerry Device Tech man and I'm being told that the battery is bad and needed to be replaced. But the device is sealed. the tech man assured me it will be made right as soon as I can make the payment for repair. I'm yet to do that anyway. I'm in Lagos Nigeria.

Posted via CB10
    Assume you are using the charger that came with the PB. Possibly it has gone bad. Have you tried another charger? Be careful how you plug it in because the BB charger actually plugs in upside down compared to many other tablets. Have you inspected the usb port to see if it is in good shape. If you have a 5 volt external battery you can try using that on the usb port.

Did the repair man say he was going to install a new battery pack and did he give you a price? The replacement unit is not cheap. You might beat this cost for the part but quite a bit of careful labor is involved in replacing a battery since many things have to be disconnected and moved before you can get the old battery pack out and then they have to be carefully replaced so that when the unit is put back together everything works.

http://www.newpower99.com/default.asp

http://www.newpower99.com/RIM_Blackb...ment_Kit_p/rim blackberry playbook.htm

Do you know what tests the repair man made before he came to the conclusion you needed a new battery?
    Last edited by jpash549; 09-28-13 at 02:57 AM.
    09-28-13 02:11 AM
    I had the same problem and fixed it. Watch my video and see.

The fault was all I could see on the screen was an empty red battery, the red led would come on then turn off again, tried all the alternatives but it didnt work.

So I decided to jump start it. Just make sure the battery 3.8vdc you use is the same voltage as the playbook battery and observe polarity!!!!!!!!

This may be or not be a good idea but it worked for me, if in doubt seek advice

So, waiting to see if you were successful. Hope you were. Let us know with Part 2.
    09-28-13 09:39 AM
    Is there any solution for this problem? a friend of my has also this problem. ..
    11-28-13 09:25 AM
    Is there any solution for this problem? a friend of my has also this problem. ..
    You can try Stack recharge.
    11-28-13 12:44 PM
    Just a note to say that the stack charge WILL work with a regular blackberry 700ma charger. I read your post, and unfortunately was stuck with only my regular BB charger. It only took 4 times repeating the one-minute charge, and I got the magic battery symbol.

Thanks for the info about stack charging. I had not used my playbook in quite some time, and was dismayed when it was on charge all night, and didn't work!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-13-14 12:07 PM
    I had the same problem this week. Try slightly adjusting the metal pin inside the charging port towards the centre and charge with blackberry logo on the charger facing up. That immediately worked for me. Stack charging didn't work for me

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 07:32 AM
    I left my playbook on standby for 3 months and of course like many others it will not charge. I have tried stack charging upto 50 times with no luck. I have the rapid charger; the sequence is red light 4 seconds, red battery with lightning 20 seconds, one green flash. After many of these it will sometimes try to boot up only to go dead again after 1 minute. My question is:- when does charging stop? After the red light goes out, or after the green flash? If I disconnect at any stage the lights all go out immediately.

Ho hum, buy an Android......

Jack
    07-30-16 04:22 AM
    don't trying turning it on after LED turns green. Just leave it to charge for an hour or so before trying to turn it on. What output is your charger rated at? Should be 1.8A
    07-31-16 05:49 PM
    It is worth it to not stack charge and just buy the magnetic charger. After getting one, and charging fully, try a USB charger later and you will know if the USB port is damaged or not
    08-06-16 12:25 PM
    It is worth it to not stack charge and just buy the magnetic charger. After getting one, and charging fully, try a USB charger later and you will know if the USB port is damaged or not
    My USB port stopped working years ago. Got the rapid charger. Then micro USB port stopped working. Now my rapid charger isn't working either. I can take it off and put it back on, and the red light will come on like I have a connection. Then nothing. Even when I can get it charged enough to turn on and i keep it plugged in, the battery percentage never goes up. I think it's finally dead
    08-07-16 05:30 AM
    ok its simple get a power bank but your playbook on it dont mind red ligt or any thing but on the power bank it will give alight tats mean playbook is charcing after 40min or so try oprning it try both usb on the power bank
    08-09-16 03:46 AM
50 12