The PB will take forever to charge doing it thru a usb port. It does charge while off.
    02-24-12 12:52 PM
    Sigh. Bought a rapid charger dock today. Hope this wakes my Precious up!
    04-19-12 11:05 AM
    Just talked to tech support, because i'm impatient sometimes. Here is the initial process they gave me to try.

Plug in the charger for 2 mins, unplug for 10 sec -> Repeat 6 to 8 times

Then while unplugged perform the Hard reset (POWER, VOL + and - at the same time) . **When the red light comes on PLUG IN THE CHARGER**

The playbook is supposed to then start charging/boot.

I dunno, kinda sketchy if you ask me, but i'll give it a try when I get off work. Wish me luck.
    04-19-12 11:20 AM
    Good luck. There have been a few discussions of that method. I forget what it is called.
    04-19-12 12:27 PM
    She lives!!!! My precious lives!!!!!! The rapid charger worked, wahoo wahoo!!!! Now here's a question, I bought the rapid charging dock to fix this but I really don't need it. I actually got it at a discount of $20 off the $69.99. It was the last one, and apparently this Best Buy stopped selling the Playbook! Ah the nerve! Anyway, should I take it back and get my money back, or should I keep it, just in case? **I'm never ever gonna let my Precious die again**
    04-19-12 09:15 PM
    I have the non-dock rapid charger and think it is terrific as long as I make good contact. Much less strain on the usb. I find it charges faster.
    04-20-12 12:45 AM
    I just found out my Playbook won't charge with the regular wall charger. This is a big problem. Looks like I'll be keeping the wall charger for awhile. Odd tho when I connect to the computer via usb. It works fine recognized by DTM and all. And the wall charger is good. It still charges my Torch. I would say the port is shot on my Playbook, but that just doesn't seem right.
    04-20-12 12:53 AM
    If you leave it on usb with computer but don't use it, does it appear to charge at all? What about using the Torch charger - again, don't expect a lot of power but does it pick up any charge?
    04-20-12 08:57 AM
    Thachoc1, by "don't use it" F2 means let it go into standby and then leave it alone for a good long time, like half an hour.

With the screen on, the power from the PC isn't enough to actually provide a net increase in charge, but merely slows down the rate of discharge. With the screen off, it should charge, but slowly.

Knowing whether it will charge from the PC will tell you whether the problem lies with the wall charger or the USB port itself.
    04-20-12 10:17 AM
    She's not charging at all that way either. I tested 4 different sources. Only the dock is working.
    04-20-12 10:48 AM
    interesting, a couple times ever since I did the upgrade to 2.0.1 I noticed my wall charger not charging, my pb sat all yesterday plugged in and dropped to 10% power before I noticed. I have always been careful so as not to damage the micro usb.
    Last thing I tried that worked was a shutdown of the pb (not standby), let it sit a few minutes while plugged into the wall charger, then I powered up using the button. That seems to work for now.
    bbvj likes this.
    04-20-12 11:08 AM
    Just talked to tech support, because i'm impatient sometimes. Here is the initial process they gave me to try.

Plug in the charger for 2 mins, unplug for 10 sec -> Repeat 6 to 8 times

Then while unplugged perform the Hard reset (POWER, VOL + and - at the same time) . **When the red light comes on PLUG IN THE CHARGER**

The playbook is supposed to then start charging/boot.

I dunno, kinda sketchy if you ask me, but i'll give it a try when I get off work. Wish me luck.
    Thanks so much for this suggestion!! I knew the cb community would have an answer so I came on the forum in search of a way to get my husband's pb to charge. It was at zero, and wouldn't charge (and I didn't want him to grab mine!) so I was really happy that this worked. That green LED never looked so good.... Thanks again....
    05-25-12 10:09 PM
    Does it work while plugged into the charger? Or is it totally non-responsive (other than the flashing led).

First, press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shoot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile

or call rim

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805
    I ended up getting on the phone with RIM PlayBook support who essentially had me go through the debrick method.

Turns out, there was nothing hardware related wrong with my PlayBook, I'd simply let the battery discharge all the way, which had corrupted the OS.

I plugged it into DM, reloaded the OS and it's now happily charging away with the wall charger.

Panic not people, reload your OS and you should be fine.

Thanks CrackBerry!!!!
    05-27-12 01:33 PM
    The charger that comes with the PB outputs at 1.8 amps. I suspect the other chargers you are using are much less. For instance to torch wall charger is 700ma. Less than half. I never liked that usb wall charger. Try the charger that comes with the PB when you can. When I had my bold the car charger wouldnt bring it back to life if the battery died. Had to use the wall charger.
    What if that doesn't work either for some reason I can't charge mine with the original. I don't know what to do.
    08-28-12 02:03 PM
    Well now mine is giving me problems.

It isn't recognizing any connections. Not like "why won't it charge up?" When it's plugged in I can't even get the lightning bolt over the battery to recognize that it's plugged in. I just tried plugging it into the USB to see if Desktop Manager will recognize it and it says it's disconnected.

I'm in the middle of another hard restart now, hopefully this works. Sucks because I'm a few hours away from getting whacked by Hurricane Isaac and was trying to charge up all my things in the event we lose power, so I could use my PB to keep tabs on the storm, developments, etc. Damn it.
    08-28-12 03:37 PM
    no luck, still not charging or being recognized via usb
    08-28-12 04:29 PM
    Pillsy:

Does it still turn on?

Tried various restart methods?

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Oh, and good luck with the hurricane
    08-28-12 04:40 PM
    have tried all of the above, including the 3-button restart. The first time I did it, it came back and was charging. Then 10 minutes later it wasn't charging anymore. So I did it again but it hasn't come back. I was wondering if it is a hardware issue, i.e., the connection on the PB isn't good, or got bent/twisted, but I have no idea how that would have happened. Whenever it's plugged in it's either on my night-stand or my desk at work. Not like I'm putting a lot of stress on that part. Unless it's really weak.
    08-28-12 05:31 PM
    Some of the original ac adapters had problems. Move the prongs in and out (fold, unfold).

Look inside the usb port on the pb. There should be a "shelf" that should be level. If the cable was accidentally plugged in upsidedown or tried to be, it can bend that "shelf" making the connection problematic.

You could try another micro usb charger although it might not have enough power if you are trying to use the pb.

A good solution is the travel rapid charger which uses that 3-pin port on the right. Take the strain off the usb port.

good luck.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    08-28-12 05:44 PM
    Well, I left it plugged into a usb wall charger for 14 hours and no change. I had hoped to get the charger that came with it today, but am unfortunately not having any luck finding it. May have to buy another one and hope that that is the only problem.
    I bought a USB wall charger as well, but it wont charge the PB, it will charge the 8520 though. So you have to use the PB's original charger instead.
    08-29-12 06:37 AM
    OK - I have had this issue with 2 16gb Playbooks. The first one went back to the shop and they replaced it. My daughters playbook started to do this last week and no matter what solution we tried regarding different charging methods it did not come back to life.

The Solution ?

Plastic prying tool. Remove the Rear Cover.

Use a 00 crosshead screwdriver and unscrew the 2 screws for the battery connector.

Remove and replace the battery connector.

Replace screws and cover.

Plug in Charger.

Playbook Working again and charging nicely.

IT WORKS I PROMISE YOU and if you use a Prying tool you will leave no visible marks on ths case.
    09-21-12 08:14 AM
    Well, my PlayBook was charging fine for weeks and then all of sudden I hear a snap and now it won't charge at all! soooo frustrated pleaseeee help me.
    01-28-13 02:19 PM
    Well, my PlayBook was charging fine for weeks and then all of sudden I hear a snap and now it won't charge at all! soooo frustrated pleaseeee help me.
    A "snap" does not sound good. At what point did you hear it? while it was charging or when plugging it in and what kimd of charger?
    01-28-13 02:29 PM
    My PlayBook refuses to charge after three weeks of use with its original charger. I even tried other BB chargers but it is still not charging. Frustrated!
    07-17-13 07:29 AM
    I think I am done with BlackBerry products. They seem to become inferior and one can never get any help from the forums.
    07-17-13 07:33 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD