*just a rant*
    My playbook is put inside otterbox defender since day one of purchased.
    Before I have my own playbook, I already played and feel the experience using my friend's. His playbook only covered in the convertible case.

It's been almost a year inside the otterbox and no problem whatsoever. Kids using it as they like, love the cover backstand especially, just about the right angle to watch movies etc.
    Today I opened the case to clean it, for some dirt looks like in the inner-side of the screen protector.

And.., wow..!! I kinda surprised of the different feeling swiping and typing the playbook without the screen protection of the otterbox.
    It's like five times smoother and brighter.., very nice! And of course.., lighter! Easier to hold in one hand...

Now I feel like don't want to put on the defender case back again.., but kinda worried about the protection of 'my precious' .. especially in the hands of the kids..

ps: the blackberry logo in the back gets quite hot after about 30mins of continuous use. that's normal is it..?

Thanx!
    @rdiditfa

jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-08-12 03:05 AM
    Yes, I have exactly the same feeling. It's like I love my PB's appearance but it has to look "ugly and bulky" (in the case) so I can have it for a long time. It's like a curse. A trade off between appearance and longevity. I personally opt for the latter.

Yes, being hot at the logo area is quite normal. It's where the battery is located. Some people have also reported a bulge at this area supposedly because of the heat causing an anomaly on the plastic back cover.
    12-08-12 03:33 AM
    So dave are you using a defender too..?
    I'm still liking this "new" sensation of bare-naked playbook.., it's like using a playbook for the first time..
    12-08-12 03:41 AM
    No. I used various cases in the past but not the otterbox. But it was always the same feeling. I am now using the mini keyboard's case with or without the keyboard attach. Naturally it adds a lot of weight. In any case, like you my PB was never out of a case for a substantial time and with a screen protector since day one it's like new....I guess.
    12-08-12 04:01 AM
    I'm actually quite happy I came across this thread as today I was in some serious thought about purchasing Defender cases for both my PlayBook and Storm2. I'm assuming, generally, it would be a worthy investment?
    12-08-12 04:05 AM
    I'm actually quite happy I came across this thread as today I was in some serious thought about purchasing Defender cases for both my PlayBook and Storm2. I'm assuming, generally, it would be a worthy investment?
    Absolutely. Any case that can protect your PB is always a good investment. Especially when you have kids and/or pets around the house or like me you are a bit clumsy. There are numerous times that I dropped my PB, slept on it, stepped on it.
    12-08-12 04:09 AM
    I've used a bb oem soft case for my Playbook. When I take that off its seems alot thinner despite it not adding much bulk. Also, the Playbook has one battery either side of the logo at the ends. I think I remember someone saying it's the processor that gets warm in the centre.
    12-08-12 07:10 AM
    Yes, Otterbox Defender is a good case. Of course it add bulk and weight to the playbook, but that's where the protection is.
    12-08-12 07:23 AM
    I've been using my PB's naked for quite a while now. I love the feel, the weight, the clarity of the screen. I only use a case if I'm taking it out of the house on business or a road trip. That glass is pretty tough, I just use a simple cotton cloth to clean it. I couldn't imagine having to view my PB screen through another layer of plastic when it's such a pleasure on the eyes.
    12-08-12 07:24 AM
    My 64 resides in an Otterbox, the 32 is another case that is easier to remove. They are like two very different devices. While I like the hefty feel of the Otterbox protected unit when walking up and down the staircase or taking it on trips (a few hiking, some biking and just airplanes or car camping), the naked one is very nice on occasion.
    dieter jay likes this.
    12-08-12 08:40 AM
    Since a replacement screen only costs $27, an Otterbox (or any other protector) is a total waste of money. My PB has been in its birthday suit since day one and loves its sleek body and the freedom of letting it all hang out.
    xSt0rmTroop3Rx likes this.
    12-08-12 09:34 AM
    I was using the otterbox for a long time, but I removed the screen protector, so it's still protected against drops but you get the full sensitivity of the screen. In fact I did drop it once and the Otterbox cracked, they sent me a new one right away, excellent customer service.
    dieter jay likes this.
    12-08-12 09:48 AM
    I find my PB more comfortable to hold with the Otterbox. It adds a bit of bulk which I like and the triple protection is always a good thing. For some reason, holding a bare PB for long periods of time when I game or surf the net hurts my hands. I think the PB edges are too hard). I'm tempted to get a slimmer case but I like the idea of having a case that fully encloses my PB.
    12-08-12 10:24 AM
    I like the mini keyboard case, even though it adds some bulk. The advantage is the perfect fit that RIM designed into the keyboard for when it is closed . The perimeter of the keyboard (which is raised to be just above the keys), fits the PB case perimeter exactly. So the PB screen is never touched by the keyboard and is completely protected when closed.
    12-08-12 12:10 PM
    I recently purchased an otterbox defender case for my 64gb playbook. It was bought for the purpose of protecting my investment since I use it on the job. It makes the playbook a little heavier but it gives me confidence that if I drop it, won't break.
    12-08-12 12:23 PM
    Don't overlook the Ballistic Tough Jacket Case! My son tried both the Otterbox and this one and loves the ballistic - and looks pretty sexy, too, in the black and red!

PlayBook with and without Otterbox Defender ...-4.jpg
    12-08-12 12:25 PM
    I have the Otterbox Defender and love it. The added bulk doesnt bother me at all. I also have the BB leather case and an amazon cheepo gel case. My only peeve is I cant use the charging stand anymore, I just use the rapid charger.
    12-08-12 01:33 PM
    I LOVE my Ballistic tough jacket case, I highly recommend over the otterbox defender.
    JJCC30Hwd likes this.
    12-08-12 01:39 PM
    I just use the regular convertible case, and it has saved my 32 well easily over 40 times. You would think having ten thumbs would make it easy to hold on to my playbook, but it doesn't. I have had my 32 for over a year now, and I drop it once a week without fail, sometimes twice, and almost always on cement. I have not had a single issue with its performance, and not a scratch on it. Either I am a very very lucky clutz, or the convertible case is all you'll ever need
    12-08-12 11:47 PM
    You can't beat this one for pure durability/flexibility/ease of ingress and egress:

http://www.caselogic.com/en-US/US/Pr..._-_7TabletCase

I've dropped my PB dozens of times, from 5 feet or more onto hard pavement, and not a scratch. If I want to go bare I just slide the elastics over the edges. Takes all of 5 seconds, though I rarely bother since the case is so light and accessible.

Best of all, it's very discreet. You'd never suspect it contained such a powerful little mobile computing device. :-)

RCK

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2
    12-09-12 12:54 AM
    Since a replacement screen only costs $27, an Otterbox (or any other protector) is a total waste of money. My PB has been in its birthday suit since day one and loves its sleek body and the freedom of letting it all hang out.
    interesting prospect thanks!
    12-09-12 01:22 AM
    I use defender, but with the protector screen manually removed.

There you go, rugged protection but without the annoying screen protector

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
    dieter jay likes this.
    12-09-12 04:08 AM
    I've used a bb oem soft case for my Playbook. When I take that off its seems alot thinner despite it not adding much bulk. Also, the Playbook has one battery either side of the logo at the ends. I think I remember someone saying it's the processor that gets warm in the centre.
    Yes no battery to bulge or get hot in the middle. Its two batteries either side of the Playbook. The CPU as you say sits in the middle.
    12-09-12 07:17 AM
    well.., just to let you all know that I've put the defender back on again.
    I felt much safer using it..., but as arielp and djenkins6 mentioned above.. I removed the screen layer protector,
    at least it still has the silicon shell to cover the screen while not in use.

12-10-12 01:14 AM
    I have one PB in a Ballistic case with a matte screen protector and another PB in a Otterbox. Love both styles and the protection they offer. I don't have any worries if I need to run out the door for work with only enough time to stuff it in my bag or if I lay it down somewhere and forget it for awhile when I'm busy. Money well spent.
    12-10-12 04:21 AM
29 12