08-15-12 11:03 PM
28 12
tools
    I've been told that a PlayBook's features and capabilities are severely limited if you do not have a BlackBerry phone to bridge it with. Is this true? I am in the market for a cheap tablet for web browsing and watching movies. I have been very impressed with the price of the 16GB PlayBook. Is it worth the money spent if I don't have a BlackBerry phone to bridge it with?
    08-13-12 08:42 PM
    Completely depends what you want to do with it. I am quite happy with mine and I only use it with wifi at home and at the office. If you want to be connected out and about a BB phone or the new 4G Playbook are better options.
    08-13-12 08:58 PM
    With the current OS, a lot of the complaints about the Playbook's features have been taken care of (calendar, email...). If you are looking for a wifi-based tablet, the PlayBook is a good option. The PlayBook 4G will add to that.

Where the BB integration comes in handy is if you want to access things on your BB from your PlayBook (email, calendar, BBM...). Plus, you can use the web browser via Bridge without a tethering plan.

A BlackBerry is not required by any means.
    AggreX, Spencerdl and kbz1960 like this.
    08-13-12 09:30 PM
    Very happy with my PlayBook with no BlackBerry phone. One thing is maybe should have gotten at least the 32GB version.
    Jamaicangirl81 likes this.
    08-13-12 09:31 PM
    I've won three iPads. I gave one to wife, one to my brother, and one to mom. I use the PlayBook and I have a BlackBerry. I think it works best with a BB, but isn't required. It just provides a better overall experience than without.
    08-13-12 09:34 PM
    Having a BlackBerry would allow you to get free internet via Bridge and using the smartphone as a remote control.

And that's pretty much it. You don't NEED a BlackBerry smartphone for anything else PlayBook-related.
    08-13-12 09:39 PM
    If I can just jump on my home Wi-Fi I would be happy. I don't need a tablet outside of that. Thank you for the feedback.
    08-13-12 10:05 PM
    It is a lot better with the phone PlayBook combo but the tablet alone is very good. If you get a PlayBook you will.want a BlackBerry phone. Get a Bold 9900/9930.
    rexrim likes this.
    08-13-12 11:28 PM
    I have the phone and the PlayBook, and I mainly use the Bridge feature to BBM people while I'm browsing or playing a game on the PlayBook so I won't have to pick up my Bold.

But I'm usually at home or work or a friend's house where there is WiFi, so to me the PlayBook would be perfectly fine as a standalone tablet.
    08-14-12 12:07 AM
    I've been told that a PlayBook's features and capabilities are severely limited if you do not have a BlackBerry phone to bridge it with. Is this true?
    This was sort of true with PlayBook OS 1.0, but since 2.0 that's not true. The only feature that requires a BB phone is BBM, but if you don't currently have a BB phone you probably don't care. Being able to access files on your phone also only works with a BlackBerry, but that's hardly an essential feature.

Nothing about web browsing or watching movies requires a BlackBerry phone. The PlayBook is fantastic for both of those. For videos it easily has the best speakers of any tablet on the market, even compared to $500 ones like the iPad.
    08-14-12 12:21 AM
    Obviously your PB will be Wi-Fi dependent.. So just make sure you have Wi-Fi where ever you will want to use the PB to browse Internet..

It's definitely a better combination with the BB.. Mainly Bridge.. But for your needs, Wi-Fi availability is more important than anything else..

So if you have Wi-Fi everywhere.. The PB is the best tablet you can get!

Did I mention you need a lot of patience?
    madman0141 and rexrim like this.
    08-14-12 01:28 AM
    I'd say it's almost the other way around. If you use a Blackberry as a smartphone, the Playbook is a no-brainer at its current price as it gives you smooth, 7-inch touchscreen access to everything on your phone, including the browser.

If you don't have a Blackberry phone the Playbook with OS2.0 is still a very decent wifi (or now 4G) tablet and media player for the money. Apart from a few specific apps there's nothing it can't do that an android tablet/iPad can.
    08-14-12 05:14 AM
    I've got a Playbook without any type of smartphone. I thought long and hard about which type of tablet I wanted; iPad android, heck even a HP touchpad. In the end I decided on the Playbook and must admit I'm very happy with it.

The User Interface is lovely - so intuitive.
    The size is just right.
    The weight is good.
    And there is a decent selection of Apps to choose from. Although no skype.

I've been very happy with my choice - you certainly don't need to a BlackBerry to use your Playbook. As long as you can hook it to your wifi then you are free to use it how you please; emails; music, videos, reading, load Android Apps.
    08-14-12 06:02 AM
    You can always use a wifi hotspot app on your android phone to connect if you don't have wifi. That replaces half of the bridge functionality.
    08-14-12 08:39 AM
    I am using Playbook without BB phone and i am pretty happy with that.I am mainly using for offline reading,watching movies,social networking and gaming.You don't want to take a LTE model if you have a smartphone.You can connect to internet via Internet tethering or wi-fi or wifi hotspot.Other than few mobiles [Eg: Samsung wave 525,Samsung Champ] most of smartphones can be paired with playbook to take internet.In home i use wifi and while on go i used to connect playbook to internet through internet tethering or wifi hotspot

My only suggestion for you is to go for atleast 32 GB playbook.Good luck
    08-14-12 09:02 AM
    I'd say it's almost the other way around. If you use a Blackberry as a smartphone, the Playbook is a no-brainer at its current price as it gives you smooth, 7-inch touchscreen access to everything on your phone, including the browser.

If you don't have a Blackberry phone the Playbook with OS2.0 is still a very decent wifi (or now 4G) tablet and media player for the money. Apart from a few specific apps there's nothing it can't do that an android tablet/iPad can.
    I second this post. Plenty of apps and games available. Two biggies that are missing are skype and netflix. Other than that, the hardware and software of the PlayBook are very impressive. Very good price compared to other tablets.
    08-14-12 10:31 AM
    definitely the 32 gig model with wanting to take Movies and Video on the road and play for WiFi only, 16 gig just gets eaten up to fast with 4-5 films loaded on the base model.
    get it and then you will be tempted to take a taste of the sweet fruit of BB smartphones and pretty soon you are finding yourself wearing a Blackberry #1 by Choice t-shirt and have 9,876 entries in Crackberry Forum.....enjoy....
    08-14-12 10:44 AM
    I was introduced to the PlayBook just prior to the OS 2.0 release by a friend and I also have never owned a BlackBerry smart phone.

At 249 for the 64Gb PlayBook at the time of purchase and the cheapest iPad, a second generation 16Gb version costing 329 (at the time just reduced from 399 because of the introduction of the third generation iPad), I thought that it was a terrific bargain. Also for me the Flash support, high resolution 1080p cameras and built-in HDMI port features also sealed the deal; despite the reduced number of available and missing applications.

I have an iPhone 4S and use the Personal WI-FI hotspot feature of the iPhone and Internet Tethering for Web access when I'm out and about with my PlayBook and don't have access to a free WI-FI hotspot such as is available at a McDonalds restaurant.

Although I have a few personal gripes with the new built-in email app, I am fairly pleased with the PlayBook overall.
    Last edited by ozycomms; 08-14-12 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Clarifying additional information
    08-14-12 11:19 AM
    Obviously your PB will be Wi-Fi dependent.. So just make sure you have Wi-Fi where ever you will want to use the PB to browse Internet..

It's definitely a better combination with the BB.. Mainly Bridge.. But for your needs, Wi-Fi availability is more important than anything else..

So if you have Wi-Fi everywhere.. The PB is the best tablet you can get!

Did I mention you need a lot of patience?
    Patience is the most important quality you must have in order to operate the Playbook.
    08-14-12 03:10 PM
    A BB comes in handy when you are out and about with no wifi coverage. However, pairing bb and playbook provide much more support to use ur playbook to its full potential. You can bbm on ur pb through bridge, you can tether through bluetooth in case of emergency with no wifi coverage around. You can surf web through bridge with bb browsers ( I rarely use my bb browser ), check calendar and all that stuff. The most important feature of pairing these two is "remote control". Watching movie on a 55 with ur BB as a remote is absolutely useful and amazing. You don't even need to come close and touch ur playbook. When Im watching movie, I'm also checking my emails, and replying emails with the bold keyboard on my tv. It's simply amazing. These stuff just make ur experience with playbook for fun and intuitive. Not necessary a requirement. If you planning on getting a playbook I'd it won't dissapoint you. Keep in mind that it doesn't come with an ecosystem like android or apple which mean lackings a lot of common apps (netflix, skype... Blah blah). Appworld also has a lot of good app to compensate for some but not all
    08-14-12 05:29 PM
    The main answer to your question "is it worth the money" will depend on what you want to do with it. As others have mentioned, if there are specific apps you want to run, you will likely find cases where you can't find them or an alternative. Some holes you will be able to fill sideloading, but not all of the. If you are looking for something you can web browse, check email with etc. you will be pretty happy with it for the price. I don't own a BB, and I think it's a great device. I have issues with apps that I wish it had or had an alternative for, but those are my personal issues. For someone like me, if the Nexus 7 was available when I bought the Playbook, it may have been a more realistic option in my price range. But I am quite happy with about 65% of the things that I use the Playbook for daily.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 08-14-12 at 05:38 PM.
    08-14-12 05:36 PM
    The PB isn't limited without a BB phone, it's capabilities are just expanded with one

Basically, there's nothing that you'll miss without a BB phone; the stuff you get with it is mostly only useful for people with a BB phone (e.g. reading messages etc. from the phone on the PB).

People keep mentioning getting "free internet" from connecting to a BB phone; for one, it's not "free", it's part of the contract you have on your phone. If you pay for data as part of your phone contract, you can use that internet access on your PB. Second, that's NOT exclusive to BB phones. You can tether with any phone that supports tethering over bluetooth. With Android phones, you can also turn your phone into a portable WiFi hotspot and just connect to that with the PB. That feature isn't a particularly special one. (The two alternative methods I mentioned above also work on other tablets I believe. The portable WiFi hotspot method certainly does)
    esk369 likes this.
    08-15-12 09:32 AM
    I carry a BB and an Android phone with me (work/personal). When I want to access BBM, work email, and such, I just connect via Bridge/Bluetooth to the BB. If I'm out an about and don't have wifi access, I can tether to my SGS and get full wifi access on my PlayBook. Most of the time, my PlayBook is connected via wifi.

I think the only thing I would really like to see is Skype. I'm not a Netflix person, but I do have an Amazon Prime account, and streaming videos play very well on the PlayBook. I look at connecting to the BB via Bridge to be just a nice side benefit.
    08-15-12 03:37 PM
    I no longer have a blackberry that is active, but I like the PB for browsing and watching videos via browser. I keep it on my coffee table for who ever wants to go on the web. Don't try to have high expectations for it, and don't compare to the ipad because you "might be" disappointed. key word "might"
    I prefer my ipad for email, music, facetime or skype, and the many apps I can't get on the PB. I don't mess around with any of the updates, but it runs pretty good for what I use it.
    08-15-12 04:00 PM
    I have never owned a BB phone. As you can see from my profile, I also own an Ipad and a top-end Android tablet, yet the Playbook is my favorite tablet of all time, and the one I use the most, by far. At their current prices, they are a steal...especially since they support Flash.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    Last edited by nextcity; 08-15-12 at 04:58 PM.
    08-15-12 04:42 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD