Hi,

Bought playbook Dec 2011 and haven't installed any software other than OS updates, apps downloaded/purchased via app store.

Last night, the playbook was wiped and I don't know why.
    Appreciate if anybody can help shed some light.

As usual, after using the playbook for a while, the low battery warning was displayed. I stop using and lock it (via Battery -> Lock) until I have a chance to charge it.

However, when I got home and plugged it into a charger, something was wrong. The initial setup screens were displayed. After proceeding through the screens and also the tutorial, I realize the playbook had somehow been security wiped after the new OS (2.0.1.358) was downloaded. Filemanager and WIFI filesharing access confirms playbook has been wiped.

The playbook was always in my possession and it was not due to incorrect unlock attempts or Settings -> Security -> Security Wipe.
    Playbook had WIFI/WPA2, bluetooth enabled. Also, I had changed the default WIFI filesharing id and picked a strong password.

What could cause this? A playbook software bug or some type of remote wipe??
    (OS was the latest/greatest before 2.0.1.358.)

Its not a total loss as I had most documents backed up on my computer but this event really has me wondering what happened.
    Thanks.
    08-15-12 01:04 PM
    I have never heard of a PlayBook doing a security wipe on its own. The only suggestion I can offer is the Playbook has/had a software issue. It is the only thing that makes sense. Unless you work on defense projects for the government then I would say it might have been hacked. It is weird because you need to request a security wipe and input the password.
    08-15-12 02:23 PM
    I have had that happen.

Had the PlayBook on charger overnight upstairs. Brought it downstairs in the morning and was greeted with the setup screen instead of the home screen. Total wipe for unknown reasons.

It was a blessing in disguise as it runs much faster now

But still a bit unnerving.
    08-15-12 03:59 PM
    If you are sure that NO ONE could have entered the wrong password or done a security wipe, I have no idea.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-15-12 04:01 PM
    If you're on a BES you're fired.
    08-15-12 05:25 PM
    Well it happened to me, it must have woken up while in its case (Convertible Case) and the password was entered wrong to many time I hade changed it to 5 failed password for a wipe, anyway thats what I deduced when it happened to me.
    08-15-12 08:00 PM
    Did you have your phone next to it? There are plenty of occurrences of PB's going haywire when a phone is placed on top or next to it.

I've never had this happen but then I don't have a password on mine.
    08-15-12 08:08 PM
    Agreed it is unnerving.

In summary, its a SEV 1 defect that I'm not able to reproduce.

I've stacked my phone and playbook together on numerous occasions and didn't have any issue. This time the playbook wasn't in close proximity (<1 feet) of any electronic device or another person. There's no way the wipe was caused by failed password attempts to unlock the device.

I'll be borrowing my friends playbook (who has the OS prior to (2.0.1.358) and see if I can recreate the wipe via failed bluetooth or WIFI access.

Will keep you posted.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-20-12 10:57 PM
    i am having issue right now, turned it on after a couple days of not using it and now i am on my last attempt of password beforeit does a whole erase. i have no idea what the password is. i have never seen this before. is there a default password i need. before i get to teh password part, it tells me to enter "blackberry" to proceed. help soon thank you
    ConnyTrarian likes this.
    08-31-12 09:18 AM
    Entering blackberry will wipe your pb. What happens if you cancel?
    08-31-12 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD